Author Topic: I hate buying anime.  (Read 22660 times)

Offline plus-one

• Sailor Scout
Re: I hate buying anime.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »
I feel the same way.
It's hard to trust people online (especially when you give them money and you just have to sit there for a few weeks and hope that you get something back..).

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »
I feel the same way.
It's hard to trust people online (especially when you give them money and you just have to sit there for a few weeks and hope that you get something back..).

Well, I would agree except that almost invariably Amazon has the best prices and their stuff is always genuine. By all means, support local anime businesses (they seem to have it rough) but if you like somewhere with a reliable internet connection and nowhere with a decent selection, you really have no excuse for pirating rather than buying from Amazon. That said, if it's not licensed and isn't going to be any time in the foreseeable, I don't really see fansubs as pirating unless they are /instead of/ the official release.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »
I totally agree, amazon =new unopened products at decent prices and if it is over 25$ Then shipping is free
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »
I bought once from Amazon. I ordered Seirei no Moribito, and received the R2 version. Whoops. Nowhere on the page did it say anything about being an import. But I did get my money back.

Had best luck with RightStuf and Anime Castle.

I thought I was shopping local by purchasing from Powells. Supporting CHicago more like. That's where the Quimby warehouse is located. Not on Quimby st. in NW stump town.

Also, as I have Netflix, I can watch them before I buy. At 20-60 a pop, I'm cheap too.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »
i should specify amazon company themselves not a separate vendor who sells on amazon

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:40 pm »
It’s a Criminal Act
Copyright law protects the value of creative work
When you make illegal copies of someone’s creative work, you are stealing and breaking the law.

Most likely, you’ve seen the FBI warning on a movie DVD or VHS cassette—well, the same applies, with equal force, to music. If you have been illegally reproducing or distributing copyrighted music, maybe you should give it a closer read.

Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, rental or digital transmission of copyrighted sound recordings. (Title 17, United States Code, Sections 501 and 506). The FBI investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringement and violators will be prosecuted.

You won’t find these messages on music you’ve downloaded illegally, but the full weight of the law applies just the same.

So you really should find out:

* What the law says and what it means.
    * How you could be breaking the law.
    * How severe the penalties can be.
    * What The Courts say.
    * What’s Okay … And What’s Not.

What the Law Says and What it Means
If you make unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings, you’re stealing. You’re breaking the law, and you could be held legally liable for thousands of dollars in damages.

That’s pretty important information to have, considering how serious it would be if you were caught and prosecuted by the authorities or sued in civil court. It’s even more important that you understand that when you illicitly make or distribute recordings, you are taking something of value from the owner without his or her permission.

You may find this surprising. After all, when you’re on the Internet, digital information can seem to be as free as air. But the fact is that U. S. copyright law prohibits the unauthorized duplication, performance or distribution of a creative work.

That means you need the permission of the copyright holder before you copy and/or distribute a copyrighted music recording.

What the Courts Have to Say
    For all the public confusion, a long series of court rulings has made it very clear that it’s against the law both to upload and download copyrighted music without permission.

It doesn’t matter whether you’re dealing with sound recordings, pictures, software or written text. The courts have consistently ruled that P2P and other unauthorized uploading and downloading inherently amount to copyright infringement and therefore constitute a crime.

Don’t you have a better way to spend five years and $250,000?

Examples of easy ways you could violate the law:

* Somebody you don’t even know e-mails you a copy of a copyrighted song and then you turn around and e-mail copies to all of your friends.
    * You make an MP3 copy of a song because the CD you bought expressly permits you to do so. But then you put your MP3 copy on the Internet, using a file-sharing network, so that millions of other people can download it.
    * Even if you don’t illegally offer recordings to others, you join a file-sharing network and download unauthorized copies of all the copyrighted music you want for free from the computers of other network members.
    * In order to gain access to copyrighted music on the computers of other network members, you pay a fee to join a file-sharing network that isn’t authorized to distribute or make copies of copyrighted music. Then you download unauthorized copies of all the music you want.
    * You transfer copyrighted music using an instant messenging service.
    * You have a computer with a CD burner, which you use to burn copies of music you have downloaded onto writable CDs for all of your friends.

Do The Crime, Do The Time
If you do not have legal permission, and you go ahead and copy or distribute copyrighted music anyway, you can be prosecuted in criminal court and/or sued for damages in civil court.

* Criminal penalties for first-time offenders can be as high as five years in prison and $250,000 in fines.
    * Civil penalties can run into many thousands of dollars in damages and legal fees. The minimum penalty is $750 per song.

The "No Electronic Theft Law" (NET Act) is similar on copyright violations that involve digital recordings:

* Criminal penalties can run up to 5 years in prison and/or $250,000 in fines, even if you didn’t do it for monetary or financial or commercial gain.
    * If you did expect something in return, even if it just involves swapping your files for someone else’s, as in MP3 trading, you can be sentenced to as much as 5 years in prison.
    * Regardless of whether you expected to profit, you’re still liable in civil court for damages and lost profits of the copyright holder.
    * Or the copyright holders can sue you for up to $150,000 in statutory damages for each of their copyrighted works that you illegally copy or distribute.

If you make digital copies of copyrighted music on your computer available to anyone through the Internet without the permission of the copyright holder, you’re stealing. And if you allow a P2P file-sharing network to use part of your computer’s hard drive to store copyrighted recordings that anyone can access and download, you’re on the wrong side of the law.

Having the hardware to make unauthorized music recordings doesn’t give you the right to steal. Music has value for the artist and for everyone who works in the industry. Please respect that.

What the Courts Have to Say About Illegal Uploading and Downloading…
…and Copyrighted Sound Recordings:

"As stated by Record Company Plaintiffs in their brief, "Aimster predicates its entire service upon furnishing a 'road map' for users to find, copy, and distribute copyrighted music." …We agree. Defendants [Aimster] manage to do everything but actually steal the music off the store shelf and hand it to Aimster's users."
Aimster Copyright Litigation. 01-C-8933, MDL # 1425 (Memorandum Opinion and Order, September 4, 2002).

"…they [Aimster] apparently believe that the ongoing, massive, and unauthorized distribution and copying of Record Company Plaintiffs' copyrighted works by Aimster's end users somehow constitutes "personal use.’ This contention is specious and unsupported by the very case on which Defendants rely."
Aimster Copyright Litigation. 01-C-8933, MDL # 1425 (Memorandum Opinion and Order, September 4, 2002).

"Napster users infringe at least two of the copyright holders’ exclusive rights . . . .Napster users who upload file names to the search index for others to copy violate plaintiffs’ distribution rights. Napster users who download files containing copyrighted music violate plaintiffs’ reproduction rights….[V]irtually all Napster users engage in the unauthorized downloading or uploading of copyrighted music . . ."
A & M Records v. Napster, Inc., 239 F.3d 1004 (9th Cir. 2001).

"Although defendant [MP3.com] seeks to portray its service as the ‘functional equivalent’ of storing its subscribers’ CDs, in actuality defendant is re-playing for the subscribers converted versions of the recording it copied, without authorization, from plaintiffs’ copyrighted CDs. On its face, this makes out a presumptive case of infringement under the Copyright Act . . . ."
UMG Recordings, Inc. v. MP3.com, Inc., 92 F. Supp. 2d 349 (S.D.N.Y. 2000).

…and Copyrighted Images:
"Distributing unlawful copies of a copyrighted work violates the copyright owner’s distribution right and, as a result, constitutes copyright infringement. . . . . [Unlawful distribution occurs where] [f]iles of [copyrighted] information are stored in the central system, and subscribers may either ‘download’ information into their[computers] or ‘upload’ information from their home units into the central files . . . ."
Playboy Enterprises v. Russ Hardenburgh, Inc., 982 F. Supp. 503 (N.D. Ohio 1997).

"[The Copyright Act] provides that an owner of a copyrighted work has the exclusive right to reproduce the work in copies . . . [and] to distribute copies of the work to the public . . . . [A]nyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner … is an infringer of the copyright."
Playboy Enterprises v. Webbworld Inc., 991 F. Supp. 543 (N.D. Tex. 1997).

…and Copyrighted Software:
"Uploading is copying. Downloading is also copying. Unauthorized copying is an unauthorized use that is governed by the copyright laws. Therefore, unauthorized uploading and unauthorized downloading are unauthorized uses governed by the copyright laws . . . ."
Ohio v. Perry, 83 Ohio St. 3d 41, 697 N.E.2d 624 (Ohio 1998).

"The unauthorized copying of copyrighted computer programs is . . . an infringement of the copyright . . . . nauthorized copies . . . are made when such games are uploaded to the BBS [Bulletin Board Service] . . . [and] when they are downloaded to make additional copies by users . . . ."
Sega Enterprises v. MAPHIA, 857 F. Supp. 679 (N.D. Cal. 1994).

"‘[C]opying,’ for the purposes of copyright law, occurs when a computer program is transferred from a permanent storage device to a computer's random access memory. In this case, copies were made when the Sega game files were uploaded to or downloaded from [the defendant’s] BBS [Bulletin Board Service]."
Sega Enterprises. v. Sabella, 1996 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20470 (N.D. Cal. 1996).

…and Copyrighted Text:
"Defendant Free Republic is a ‘bulletin board’ website whose members use the site to post news articles to which they add remarks or commentary . . . . The Plaintiffs' [Los Angeles Times and Washington Post] complaint alleges that unauthorized copying and posting of the articles on the Free Republic site constitutes copyright infringement . . . . [P]laintiffs' motion for summary adjudication with respect to fair use is granted . . . ."
L.A. Times v. Free Republic, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5669 (C.D. Cal. 2000).

"When a person browses a website, and by so doing displays the [copyrighted] Handbook, a copy of the Handbook is made in the computer's random access memory (RAM), to permit viewing of the material. And in making a copy, even a temporary one, the person who browsed infringes the copyright. Additionally, a person making a printout or re-posting a copy of the Handbook on another website would infringe plaintiff's copyright."
Intellectual Reserve, Inc. v. Utah Lighthouse Ministry, Inc., 75 F. Supp. 2d 1290 (D. Utah 1999).

When It Comes to Copying Music, What’s Okay … And What’s Not:

Technology has made digital copying easier than ever. But just because advances in technology make it possible to copy music doesn’t mean it’s legal to do so. Here are tips from some record labels on how to enjoy the music while respecting rights of others in the digital world. Stick with these, and you’ll be doing right by the people who created the music.

Internet Copying

* It’s okay to download music from sites authorized by the owners of the copyrighted music, whether or not such sites charge a fee. For a list of some authorized sites, click here.
    * It’s never okay to download unauthorized music from pirate sites (web or FTP) or peer-to-peer systems. Examples of peer-to-peer systems making unauthorized music available for download include: Kazaa, Grokster, WinMX, LimeWire, Bearshare, Aimster, Morpheus, and Gnutella.
    * It’s never okay to make unauthorized copies of music available to others (that is, uploading music) on peer-to-peer systems.

Copying CDs

* It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
    * It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.
    * Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
          o The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
          o The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
    * The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.
    * Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

Are there occasionally exceptions to these rules? Sure. A "garage" or unsigned band might want you to download its own music; but, bands that own their own music are free to make it available legally by licensing it. And, remember that there are lots of authorized sites where music can be downloaded for free. Better to be safe than sorry – don’t assume that downloading or burning is legal just because technology makes it easy to do so.

Enjoy the music. By doing the right thing, you’ll be doing your part to make sure that the music keeps coming.

This site is intended to educate consumers about the issues associated with the downloading, uploading and consumer copying of music. It is not intended to offer legal advice or be a comprehensive guide to copyright law and the commercial uses of music.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 06:18:19 am »
HardstyleZombie, could you cite the source of that? Fair credit should be given for copying large blocks of text from elsewhere.

I support copyrights as generally described, morally and legally. But the media industry just might have more sympathy in this regard among the public if they didn't:

• Support outrageous, abominable out-of-proportion penalties like $250,000 per criminal violation or $750--minimum!--per civil violation.
  • Let grow, over the last 30 years, a default presumption of criminality among the public by making long, unskippable (on DVDs), absurdly exaggerated anti-piracy warnings (calling them "FBI Warnings" invoking fears of faceless federal power run amok)
  • Do their most to try to crush every new distribution technology as it arises, including those for clearly legal uses (for example: VCRs back in the 70s, or recently: resisting selling music online for as long as possible, then making the files as low quality as possible, and still, not allowing online retailers to have more than the tiniest sliver of shares of sales, ensuring that they don't have the resources to give good customers and technical service), and then--when the legal options are unavailable or unattractive--wonder, why so many people turn to file-sharing services instead
  • Impose ridiculous encryption technologies on the public, like HDCP in video devices, that have no actual effect or relevance to preventing piracy but are basically just designed to make the new technology as unattractive as possible (this is a variant of the last point)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline plus-one

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 07:38:53 am »
He was using the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) website ( http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law )

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
On top of what JeffT stated before, there are other things to consider before automatically trying to make anyone who downloads free media out to be a criminal. Jumping to conclusions before examining every angle of an argument, is downright ignorant.

As long as the rediculous inflation in all industry continues to soar in America, as well as poor wages & high unemployment rates, it will be hard for many people to purchase things like $120+ boxsets, $30+ BlueRay discs & $60+ games. In turn, people will continue to share media in any way possible. A person making minimum wage in Oregon would have to spend almost 20 hrs of work just to afford that $120 boxset...that is only if they are lucky enough to still have a job or at least a job offering decent hours. Also, what that does not take into account, is any & all other expenses in their lives. Do they have kids to support? A house? Car payment? You have no idea what another persons situation is.

Although I myself do have the luxury at times, to purchase new movies, games, anime, etc to support the creators...it is not as often as I would like. So I do download media here & there until I can afford to purchase at a later time. Yes, there are some people out there that do DL to be cheap or to sell it...they are wrong for that. But the ones that simply cannot afford it all at once, & buy it as they can while downloading the rest in the meantime, are in no way criminals in my eyes.

So instead of promoting the governments goal to keep people afraid by quoting some long-winded FBI garbage that nobody is going to read...try to put yourself in other peoples shoes first. If you are simply too stubborn to look at things from another perspective, then do things the way you like to & keep the close-mindedness to yourself. But you might find that there are two sides to every argument & that the other side might a few good points to look at as well.

Just to clarify, this is in no way a personal attack on anyone here. It is simply how I feel on the matter & in the spirit of debate...I have no problems with anyone here.  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:03:06 am by Cyprus »

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 12:45:24 pm »
You have no idea what another persons situation is.

I totally agree and find myself completely distrustful when anyone (especially companies) starts talking about "revenue lost due to piracy". People most often pirate what they cannot afford and if they hadn't had the option, they would have simply lived without. However, specific to the anime community, if you are unable to afford purchasing, you should at least be watching a large majority of your anime via official streaming or rental services.

And I'd like to point out that there are some legal loopholes that HardstyleZombie's enormous quote did not begin to mention. Firstly, for as rational as people say copyright laws are, they do not extend across borders. People assume that means that products can be legally pirated but that actually means they cannot be legally purchased. In technical, copyright terms, importing is exactly as illegal as pirating via any other method (and although we don't talk about it much, gaming companies actually do discourage importing as much as they possibly can). Secondly, fansubs are being allowed to exist by our anime distributors for two reasons- some of them do not have the money to press charges and others do not have the money to conduct proper research into what will actually sell in America.

So the issue is actually a lot more complex than say, the music industry, and copyright in general is ridiculously complicated.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 03:38:51 pm »
And I'd like to point out that there are some legal loopholes that HardstyleZombie's enormous quote did not begin to mention. Firstly, for as rational as people say copyright laws are, they do not extend across borders. People assume that means that products can be legally pirated but that actually means they cannot be legally purchased. In technical, copyright terms, importing is exactly as illegal as pirating via any other method (and although we don't talk about it much, gaming companies actually do discourage importing as much as they possibly can).

Actually, this isn't true. Copyright does extend across borders--not because there is literally an international government--but because the copyright laws of the US and most countries respect copyrights in other countries mostly the same as in their own (the Berne Convention is the international agreement facilitating this). The distinction between "licensed" and "unlicensed" is merely an issue of fansubbers' ethics, and has no legal basis.

Similarly, importing is perfectly legal under the "first sale" doctrine that allows anyone to resell their copy of a copyrighted work (not copy it, but resell the single original copy) without permission from the copyright owner.

There have been attempts to stop importing, but these are pursued under desperate attempts to stretch trademark law, which make no sense at all and are completely unrelated to the purpose of trademarks. Please note that trademarks are distinct from copyright. Trademarks are meant to stop other companies from using an existing name on their own products and advertising without permission--not people from re-selling used copies. And with rare exception, companies involved in anime (American or Japanese side) have not pursued this potential legal option at all. (Games are a different story, unfortunately.)

Going back to my previous post--it's a good thing to keep in mind, also, that many companies, including many of those involved in anime, are not RIAA members. I don't say this to encourage piracy against RIAA member companies--rather, I just want to make clear my criticism is NOT levied equally against all media companies.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 08:27:12 pm »
What I do: if animesuki.com has listed an anime under it's licensed board, I remove it from my Bit Torrent client. The product is now under license, and should soon be available for sale in the US. Exceptions being Kenichi, season 2. sigh.

So were I to download this series now, it would be to me unethical and illegal. Good thing I already have seen it and have a copy. But I like having DVDs of shows I like. They last longer, and don't disappear when the computer crashes.

I just remembered a random fact!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:46 pm »
so morally is it okay to keep my old fan subs of host club,(not share) when i went ahead and bought the licensed us release?  i just refer the fan sub's subtitles...

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »
That depends on your morals :P

oslapedo

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »
I think it's fine to keep subs when you've bought a copy of the anime because whether you keep the subs or not you've still supported the show you like by buying it.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »
Jaz, I'd guess that if we were strictly ethical, we wouldn't make a lane change without using our turn signals. Or maybe Jay-walk. I can't help it, my name's Jay, I always Jay-walk! sigh.

I even believe it's legal to make a back up copy of your Windows OS on another CD. It is the license number that they really care about. You could probably even give away a CD to someone who lost theirs, provided they have their license number handy.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 10:03:22 pm »
I even believe it's legal to make a back up copy of your Windows OS on another CD. It is the license number that they really care about. You could probably even give away a CD to someone who lost theirs, provided they have their license number handy.

That's pretty much how Windows and many commercial products work nowadays. There is a single binary which is both the full and trial version. If you don't enter a product key during setup, it installs in 30-day trial mode. If you do, then it installs in full mode.

(Shareware has worked like this for a long time, but major commercial products have shifted to this more recently.) In fact, the Windows Server .ISOs are downloadable directly from Microsoft's public web site. They don't do that for client OSes yet, but the idea is the same.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:14 am »
There are a lot of dvd's now days that are being released with a digital copy included so that you can back them up on your computer...so making a copy of something as a backup is perfectly ok IMO, as long as you don't plan to distribute it.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:18 am »
Phone posting is not the best

I Prefer the subtitles on the fan subs, they are better then the us release's

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »
I kind of agree with you Jaz. But some groups seem to have been hired to do the subbing for US licensees. They could have been better.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »
Phone posting is not the best

I Prefer the subtitles on the fan subs, they are better then the us release's

This probably a little bit petty but sometimes I prefer fansubs simply because official subs tend to be ridiculously hideous. Lately distributing companies have been a bit better about this (read: they have stopped doing black on yellow) but they're still behind subbers just in font choices (and yes, I know the limitations, it doesn't stop them from being ugly).

And I just wanted to note that your icon continues to be one of the most adorable I see around. <3

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010, 09:08:04 am »
When I buy anime I get it cheap. I will usually buy anime from Big Lots where I can get a volume or movie for $3 or from everyday music where I can get a volume from $2-$5. I bought the whole series of Burst Angel for $12 at everyday music. ($2 each for 6 volumes)

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2010, 10:35:56 am »
Sadly, in order for me to buy from those places, I would have to add travel expenses to the cost lol. I am about 3hrs from Portland...

Offline MGmirkin

• Oni
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »
On the up side, if you buy anime you don't like, you can always list it on swapadvd.com, which is a pretty good way to nix DVDs you don't need in favor of DVDs you actually WANT. Granted anime's in somewhat short supply there, so expect a wait, if it ever shows up at all. But at least that often means that it's on people's wishlists, making it easier to get rid of and get credits for that you can use to get other stuff (even if it's not anime). Actually, I've got all my old DBGT DVD sets (after upgrading to the "season" sets) +Garlic Jr. Saga on swapadvd.com at the moment... Surprised they haven't gotten picked up yet...

http://mgmirkin.swapadvd.com/profile/
http://www.swapadvd.com/dvd/member_dvds.php?m=RGVqTXYwRUlBMFE9

In case anyone happens to use that site. :) I think I've also got the Animatrix dvd on there (don't need it since I've got the complete Matrix boxset, which includes ani')...

Anyway, I'm not too disappointed when I get a couple bum animes, 'cause I can often get rid of them...

~MG

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2010, 12:27:05 am »
Being a poor college student with no job, and my only income being leftover financial aid money, but also wanting to support the industry, I have a different method. I buy my stuff used. You can get used stuff in very good condition for very reasonable prices.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 02:55:53 am »
It's a little confusing that you guys are suggesting piracy on a website devoted to an anime convention.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
I hate buying anime.
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 03:54:02 pm »
Maybe its just because Im a booklover, but while buying anime on DVD and stuff never appealed to me, i absolutely ADORE collecting volumes and volumes of manga...
Of course, the fact that im usually broke stops me from having a ton, but keeping a couple of shelves makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside~ 8D

Offline Hanamaru

• Cabbit
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 07:13:25 am »
Aww, I don't remember the last time I bought anime xD;;

Back in high school I would buy and collect the Last Exile DVDs after I watched the whole series fansubbed, but nowadays they're getting too expensive >3<

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:42 pm »
You know...

There is a better solution..

You don't need to BUY them...

But knowing that its yours and you can watch it in high quality is nice.

Also, buying them encourages the fine art becoming available to viewing audiences, even in Japan.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 04:09:44 pm »
Aww, I don't remember the last time I bought anime xD;;

Back in high school I would buy and collect the Last Exile DVDs after I watched the whole series fansubbed, but nowadays they're getting too expensive >3<

Actually, although they did get disgustingly expensive for a while there, recent releases are a *lot* cheaper than they were when I started getting into anime 5 or 6 years ago. I mean, you can buy all of Baccano (16 episodes) for $35 from Amazon. I think that price is reasonable, assuming you are on the market to buy DVDs. If you aren't there's always Netflix and Crunchyroll and the like.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
Well, i normally watch anime online or borrow it from the Library...but if you really like buying the DVDs, i suggest you wait untill the box set is out. See, i bought the Death Note complete first season on DVD for around $40.00 and it came with five disks. If i were to just get the five disks in the single box (like, vol 1. vol 2. and so on) It would have cost me around $100.00. So waiting for the box set is well worth it.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »
Not only that, but it helps keep them together.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline CheshireStray

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2010, 04:42:15 pm »
Im notoriously bad at buying anime. Even when i was presented with a fairly uncommon opportunity to buy the fantastic Tales of Phantasia OVA for about 20 dollars the other day, my stingy brain talked me out of it.
Then again, i'm somewhat on a disappointed boycott of Funimation after seeing them selling Soul Eater for $50 per DISK. *sigh*

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:11 pm »
Over at Fry's on Saturday I bought three complete anime series for $50 (total all together)... Thought it was a pretty good deal, considering that other complete series cost more than that.
I'm so glad that companies have started to release more complete series sets lately, rather than the individual disc volumes, which cost a fortune to get them all. I remember buying season one and season two of Kyo Kara Maoh! here in the US-- all twelve volumes for $30 each... $360 for both seasons (season three wasn't released in the US, unfortunately). Same thing with season one and two of Kaleido Star, and numerous others I've collected over the recent years.
Though now you can buy them for like $40 or less for each complete season... Even so, I still love the complete series/season set releases now. It's such a huge money-saver. Though Bandai has yet to really get into this for some reason... They still seem to be releasing at least three separate volumes per season. Ugh, I want to buy Gundam 00 but I'm not going to pay that much for it considering I've already seen it. ><
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:58:05 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)