Author Topic: I hate buying anime.  (Read 22656 times)

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
I hate buying anime.
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:29 pm »
There's so few anime I've liked, I mean the ones I do like I watch over and over again, but there seems to be so very few that interest me. I just bought some from the suncoast that is shutting down at vrc, Hellsing, and D Grey man, I'm hoping they'll be good.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: I hate buying anime.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:06:04 pm »
You know...

There is a better solution..

You don't need to BUY them...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:16:23 pm »
You know...

There is a better solution..

You don't need to BUY them...

But knowing that its yours and you can watch it in high quality is nice.

Personally though, I like buying manga instead. Then I can read it anywhere easily. And it's cheaper. Buying anime is a really tricky thing for me, because even if I love the series a lot, I don't always want to own it. Unless its something really obscure, like not many have heard of it or seen it.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
I put manga on my PSP. It's really convenient.

I don't know... But you can download anime.... At high quality.. up to 720p.

o_o... I like downloading...

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:14 pm »
yeah, but i figure, if I don't like it, I can always give it to someone who does.... so that works out ok.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »
You can always sell it here also.

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »
You can always sell it here also.

true, but it's more fun to just give... at least for me.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:42:23 pm »
Giving is always good. :3

@narunik
See I'd download it if my dad would let me and even if I did, I like being able to take it with me places considering not everyone has a device they can just port it around on. At least I know I don't have one. :< And the feel of pages between your fingers is a really nice feeling to me.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:28 am »
I know what your saying. BUT I LIKE HAVING OVER 1000 MANGA WITH ME AT ALL TIMES..

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »
I like actually supporting the creators tyvm.

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:38 pm »
Me too. If I really love a series, I always buy some form of media or merchandise to show my support.
Sakuracon~

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »
what you could do is go to [Moderator edit by JeffT: Name/URL of video indexing site removed] and watch a few episodes of new anime and see if you like them then if you do you can go buy them
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:19:48 pm by JeffT »
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:26 pm »

Yeah, I hardly ever care to actually own an anime (I watch most of my anime via Netflix) but if I know that a specific creator or company needs help, I try to support their work by actually purchasing.

If you aren't willing to buy anime, you should at least consider watching simulcasts like on crunchyroll or funimation, then the creators are at least getting a little bit of money (through advertising).

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:45:41 pm »
this is true, netflix is a way cheaper way to watch anime then going out and buying some every week.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 02:34:47 pm »
And sitting at B&N or something and reading for free is way cheaper than buying manga, also.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

THIS

i actually will stream the first few episodes of a series before i buy it, to make sure im going to like it.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:49 am »
Half of the anime I watch comes to the US after I've finished watching it or not at all, so I usually just download most of my anime. Sometimes it's not very good either and I don't feel like throwing the money at it. But there have been quiet a few series that I have liked a lot and ended up buying.

Yeah, so if I really like an anime I will buy all of it if it ever ends up coming over here.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:44 pm »

Agreed! If I like a series, I'll always buy it.

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:25:01 pm »
well i watched a few episodes of the d grey man, i'm not too into it, but might just need to give it some more time. Hellsing seems pretty rad though.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:41:58 am »
Don't forget Crunchyroll and Hulu for free anime ;)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:09 pm »
funimation streams lots of animes, they even start doing it when the dub isn't complete.   You could watch shikabane hime eps a couple weeks behind them being released in japan.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:44 am »
well for a manga fix (if you dont feel like buying) would be [Moderator edit by JeffT: Name/URL of manga scan site removed]
and as for what nick was saying about torrenting.
I would just go on youtube or something and search for a serious and if you think you will like the serious then go buy it.
that way you are not disappointed
As for a recommendation I would say try out Darker than Black and Gurren Lagann 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:30:48 am by JeffT »

China bound!!!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:44 am »
Moderator's reminder: Please remember this forum rule (Forum Code of Conduct):

Don't post or link to unlicensed copies of copyrighted content. This includes bootlegs of original products, fansubs, digisubs, scanlations, and music downloads.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
I do the Netflix thing before I buy, usually. I find torrents to be a useful tool for picking and choosing which anime I wish to buy. Except I think it's pretty safe to say I am going to be buying box sets of Naruto.

About giving; if you give to a charity, get the receipt and give that to someone who itemizes their taxes. That way you have given twice! Making friends wherever you go. lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:15 pm »
Sometimes I'll rent and then decide if I want to buy the series.  Other times I'll buy because I know I'll love it.  Other other times, if there's a really good sale going on, I'll buy it on the spot if I think it's a good deal and a series I might enjoy.

I prefer buying manga though.  I'll skim through the pages a little if I can, see how it looks and read the plot and decide later or right there.  I'm not a fan of people who camp out with piles of manga lying around them though.  We had a seriously bad problem with that in a Hawaii B&N where people would lie on the ground in front of the bookshelfs and block everything and leave behind piles of books without putting them away.

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
About giving; if you give to a charity, get the receipt and give that to someone who itemizes their taxes. That way you have given twice! Making friends wherever you go. lol
That sounds rather illegal...  I know anime's expensive, and finding it online for free is pretty easy, but it's also illegal, and not fair to the creators, even if it's a mediocre show (if it's only mediocre, why are you watching it?).  And at least give the free legal stuff a fair trial before resorting to other means.  The more people watch it through legal means, the more advertising dollars they will get, which results in more anime.  This is especially good as a lot of anime doesn't get interesting until a couple of seasons in, and watching only the first episode online doesn't tell you much about it. 

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 04:11:05 am »
The more people watch it through legal means, the more advertising dollars they will get, which results in more anime.  This is especially good as a lot of anime doesn't get interesting until a couple of seasons in, and watching only the first episode online doesn't tell you much about it. 

This can be good or bad.
My wife reads fanfics and is always saying stuff like, "I wish this person would hurry and update!" I tell her that the person updating is only human; they have to come up with the content, put it into a favorable context for readers to enjoy, and that takes time. The author may do the writing out of love for the story or just popularity.

It's similar with this. If a company makes more money, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll come out with more anime to continue their series or make new ones. I think more anime would depend on what the people drawing the anime and creating storyboards are influenced by, whether it's money, popularity, or if THEY think it's good. Getting paid more and having more resources always helps, though ^^  But it doesn't mean high quality anime will be busted out. Maybe the opposite, in fact. Wanting more anime might result in more mediocre shows coming out in a shorter amount of time.

By the way, I don't support illegal watching or downloading of any anime. ... Um ... Anime is alright, but I like sci-fi better.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 09:23:47 pm »
From my experience trying to buy one particular anime this past weekend. I hate trying to buy one particular anime! I went to three different places, and no such luck. Have to buy it on-line. Fudge

Decision, decisions.

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if it was to an anime I would like to own, but solely to be able to watch the entire series, and know what happened! Double fudge!

Cornelius Fudge!

What do you think Corny Fudge "really" looks like? Or smells like?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »
Rightstuf is a great place to buy anime, usually if I can't find the whole series on netflix but I really want to finish, I break down and buy it there.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »
Concurring in the recommendation for Right Stuf. Been using them for a lot of my anime over the years, and they have absolute top-notch service, and a very good selection too. They tend to get back-ordered items in much faster than other stores, so you can order back-ordered items with confidence.

Order during their "studio sales" for the best prices (every 6-9 months, items from a given publisher will be steeply discounted, usually 33-40% off MSRP). Each sale covers one studio at a time.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »
I've also bought stuff from places that advertise on sites I regularly use. Usually click on their link, so they know that their ad dollars are worth something.

Buying manga or anime in Eugene seems to be rough period.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 01:27:15 pm »
I always sample anime before I buy & for good reason...most of my favorite series have ended up costing me quite a bit of money to purchase (out of print OR just very long). Because of that, I buy a few series a year, usually at con but sometimes online if I can't find them there. I always buy a series if I like it...but I do DL, borrow, hulu, etc to find ones that interest me, rather than just randomly dropping a ton of money on something that might suck.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 02:43:56 pm »
i like to buy anime because to me Ge feels like i am showing support to the industry and and keep them making the stuff i love
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »
In no way do I disagree with showing support for the creators. But seeing as money is hard to come by,  & anime can be very expensive, I will only spend money on it if I know that I like it...& I always buys a series as soon as I have the money(if I liked it  :) )

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »
I netflix my anime, or if I see a new one online somewhere and netflix doesn't have to cause it's new to Japan or hasn't been licensed by an American company then I watch it online. But if I really love a series I buy it, that way I can just pop it in and watch it when I get a craving to re-watch it.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 10:43:56 pm »
However small, I think we should support the creators and translators, even if it's just a little.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:45:03 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 04:50:08 pm »
admittedly these days money is tight for everyone, it does make for having to pick n chose your luxurys.  anniversary =black cat box set for my hubby.  also waiting for good buys and coupons. best buy has a reward zone program, and a few times a year they send us 10 % off dvd/video game coupons.   it is so worth it to price check online and in store. 
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »

yes! yes it is! its like a freakin wasteland down here! and now that suncoast's going out of business, i've got nowhere to purchase my nerdy items!!!

and i just check out anime and manga from the library anyways

oslapedo

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:19 pm »
Does Euegene still have that Borders with the huge manga section? That's way enormous compared to somewhere like Roseburg, our mall barely has half an aisle for manga.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »
if you're talking about the borders in the oakway mall then yes. that manga section is HUGE!!!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »
It is? I think it's been downsized since they moved it halfway across the store.

You can forget about buying anime from there, the stuff they have fits on less than two bookshelves.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 08:34:19 pm »
It is? I think it's been downsized since they moved it halfway across the store.

You can forget about buying anime from there, the stuff they have fits on less than two bookshelves.
The manga section has gotten pretty big with their new area.
Anime...... yeah, and even the stuff they have is a pretty limited variety.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »

yes! yes it is! its like a freakin wasteland down here! and now that suncoast's going out of business, i've got nowhere to purchase my nerdy items!!!

and i just check out anime and manga from the library anyways
If you only knew lol...buying anime in Central Oregon without internet is damn near impossible lol. The only anime stores we have ever had here, all closed down fast. Too many rednecks here & not enough of us. Best buy is the closest thing we have & they don't have jack.

Offline plus-one

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:51 pm »
You could buy it online?
The mail still gets to you guys right?  XD

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »
I feel for you Cyprus. I have the same problem finding good food in Eugene. lol

The local Best Buy has downsized the manga section. Now it seems to be almost all Dragonball.

Maybe you ought to take your portable hard drive over to Wuntvor's tomorrow night, and download a bunch of stuff. Faster than UPS or the USPS. You were looking forward to driving home across the cascades in the dark in the middle of winter, right?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:43 pm »
I feel for you Cyprus. I have the same problem finding good food in Eugene. lol

hahaha, ouch!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »
Say, you don't have a spare volume 6 of Ah! My Buddha laying around now would you? Something I have to order on-line if I am going to ever watch it, so it seems. It isn't as if it's something worth buying, but I have nnot knowing how stories end. Netflix does not appear to want to acquire another copy for me to view. Like that is something new eh?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:08 am »
meh, I didn't really like ah my buddah was kinda weird

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 07:18:26 am »
You could buy it online?
The mail still gets to you guys right?  XD
Yes & I do most of my anime purchasing online if I don't find it when I travel or go to cons. But I miss the days when I could hold something in my hand & look at it, pay a cashier, go home & watch it. I am a very indecisive shopper & don't like purchasing ANYTHING sight unseen, especially something expensive like anime. You could say that I just don't trust people that easily.