Author Topic: Really Big Sword  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
Really Big Sword
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »
How would you go about making an enormous sword for your cosplay? (Clare from Claymore.)

Because I don't have near enough money to buy one.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: Really Big Sword
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:52:44 pm »
I don't know how it looks like but I have like a mini Buster Sword (FFVII) in the making. It is wooden. Once it is done I am going to spray paint it in the colors that it is..Gray, Black, etc..

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »
Or you can just cut out cardboard and paint it. 0_0

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:02:36 am »
Apparently a good method for making props is to carve them out of insulation foam.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=113812

I'm not sure if this is the best option for something thinner like a sword, but straight from the tutorial..

Once you are done paper maching you can start adding coats of glue making sure to let them completely dry before adding the next. I think I added like 15 coats of wood glue to my scythe which ended up cutting my leg open lol so I don't think it requires so many ::though it did survive countless bumps without any signs of damage::. With other props I usually only add 4 to 5.

So it sounds pretty sturdy with enough finishing. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
You could take craft foam with wooden dowels in it, or pvc pipes, for bases and cover it in kiddie foam and paint that. Or fabric- and make it like a giant plushie.

I think Insulation foam gets kind of heavy once you pass the 6ft x 3ft marker....
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:11 am »
Claire's sword from Claymore?

Insulation foam. My sitar's made out of the stuff and it's great. Not too heavy at all.

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:11 am »
You can probably find a helpful tutorial on DeviantArt or cosplay.com.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »
Apparently a good method for making props is to carve them out of insulation foam.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=113812

I'm not sure if this is the best option for something thinner like a sword, but straight from the tutorial..

Once you are done paper maching you can start adding coats of glue making sure to let them completely dry before adding the next. I think I added like 15 coats of wood glue to my scythe which ended up cutting my leg open lol so I don't think it requires so many ::though it did survive countless bumps without any signs of damage::. With other props I usually only add 4 to 5.

So it sounds pretty sturdy with enough finishing.  

This sounds like a pretty good way to make a light sword.  If you want something that has some feel to it I would go with plywood, molding clay, and/or pvc.  If you want to make a "beat people with" weapon (that cant actually cut) you are looking at wood or metal wrapped in thick insulation foam, and you might want to cover the foam with a sturdy, tight, cloth.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:46:58 pm by camname21 »