Author Topic: K-con LARPing  (Read 2659 times)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
K-con LARPing
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »
I have a friend who goes to school with me who's doing a project on LARPing and I know some of you guys LARPed during con and stuff.Here's the letter he'd like you to read, and maybe anyone who knows more can post your Email addresses. His account hasn't been confirmed so If you could post them instead of PMing them to me that would be great!

Hey-
I'm a junior at Oregon Episcopal School (OES) who is very interested in doing a journalism project for my English class on LARP and the LARP community in Portland. I would love to visit, or better yet, participate, in a LARP practice that is open to novices, as well as interview with some LARP-ers in the next 1-2 weeks.

I know that there are many different types of LARP, so I am ultimately looking to visit 1 or 2 groups that will give me a sense of the Portland LARP community's spirit and character (would love to visit more, but alas, the deadline).

I'd love to get an email address from anybody who could help.

Thanks,
Sam A

Thanks guys! ^^
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:23:50 pm by NightLotus »

Offline loki_adler

• Oni
Re: K-con LARPing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »
Hi all. I am that "friend" mentioned above and my account has just been approved. If you have any info about LARP practices I could attend in the very near future, I would love to hear about them! my email is adlers@go.oes.edu
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:48:31 pm by loki_adler »

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:00 am »
I haven't done a LARP myself... But I must admit it does sound fun. I'd like to try it out some day...

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:40:51 am »
Do you count as LARP the SCA & comparable unsanctioned Pirate events? If so I LARPed for many years.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
I've gone to a SCA , An Tir group event.  Was great fun. We didn't have enough armor to go around to all the newbies like myself for the battle, but was still cool to watch.  Watch our for the drunks that throw up in your sleeping quarters though >.<  hehe

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
I've not LARPed in years, and when I did play it was down in Eugene. I can talk all about them though from a player's perspective and what kinds of problems you face trying to start one. The LARPs I took part in were Vampire LARPs rather than "boffer" LARPs (where you actually beat each other with padded sticks).

However if the project needs to be about current events in Portland I'll be useless.  :-\
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:39:14 pm »
Boffer LARP is my specialty. If it's a story you need, then come if you can to Stella Olsen Park in Sherwood on either Wednesday or Friday between 3 and 5 PM. Or for all the LARPing you can quaff, come to the Halloween party at Rivercrest Park in Oregon City. The chapter there almost always has a game, and I heard they might be doing a monsters game.

This group, called Amtgard, is more than welcome to let curious spectators watch or pick up a weapon and jump into a game. Waivers are signed by potential regular attendees to cover for accidents. There is a full set of rules covering the basic combat rules, weapon and shield sizes and types of armor, classes and their abilities or spells, as well as some starting creatures for someone playing the Monster class. Players get to make and cosplay as their own original characters and only their own strength, speed, and skill will determine that character's developing proficiency.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:41 pm »
I would definitely LARP some pokemon XD GOD battles.

First k-con and I cannot wait!