Author Topic: Needed help from experienced seamstresses again.  (Read 2895 times)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Needed help from experienced seamstresses again.
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:18 am »
For one thanks to everyone who helped me out with those pleated skirt problems before Kumoricon, I got it to work out! It's just been sitting in my closet, waiting for a waistband to put on it.

Now I have anew problem, I'm going to be making Bonne Jenet from King of Fighters for Sakuracon, looks remotely simple yeah?

I thought so until was thinking about it compared to how the back looks.

Now, there are very few B.Jenet cosplayers out there, but the few I have seen I generally dislike because they don't have that tightness  in the top. (Not that they are bad, I would just like to fix this problem that I believe don't not look good)
I really love this girls, but I do not like that non-tightness
This girl has it down but it doesn't have the low back

So main questions..
1. Is there any possible way that I can make the back accurate and keep the rest of the costume looking accurate as well? In my mind, I'm thinking "Ok, you can get tightness from the fabric encasing you" and when I think of that, I just think of it popping off of my body if it makes any sense. I know if that's the case I'm going to need need a GOOD LOT of fashion tape to keep it on if I do so, but I'm just a little afraid that getting it to look like that is completely impossible.

2. Now, if the answer to number one is a yes, can you think of a type of pattern that could be altered to look like the top or a style of clothing that looks like it? I'm not the most experienced seamstress, but I can follow and modify patterns fairly well. I'm thinking I'm going to make the skirt separate and attach it later, as the belt could hide it or since one extra seam isn't going to hurt anyone.

3. If the answer to number one is no, do you think it would look fine with a higher back? (Or) What would you do with it to make it work?

Thank you for your help in advance, any word of advice with greatly help me actually finishing this project.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:45:36 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Needed help from experienced seamstresses again.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:16:47 am »
It really doesn't look physically possible xD

But maybe you could try altering a swimsuit pattern? But the kind of fabric you use on those might not drape right for the rest of the dress...

Good luck :x

Offline Aero

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:41 am »
Put clear elastic or something of the sort in the back of the dress, like the stuff the put on strapless dresses? Maybe that'll work? Or when you look closely at the picture you can kinda see a line that makes the upper part of the dress looks like it goes down to a V from her hips, maybe try fitting parts like a corset..- I dunno there is my two cents on this topic. I say try my other idea..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:47:49 pm by Aero »
CREATER OF T.P.C. COSPLAY GROUP - Based in Gresham , wanna join ? Pm me . 8D
Alois is set for Sakura-con !!! HUZZZAH !

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:07:57 am »
Using a clear plastic strap is probably your best bet, unless you want to use a nude leotard and sew it on - if you did it right, that would probably work. Or you could stick it to yourself somehow... I've seen something similar, where the costume had no back but it was still form-fitting, but the cosplayer didn't say how she did it.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »
I got some help from coscom when someone suggested looking for Figure Skating or Ballroom dance patterns and I happened upon this love thing:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5136

Talking with my mother, it looks like between me and her we can make this work somehow with that. Thanks a bunch guys!

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:29:35 pm »
I would recommend making it all one piece; the weight of the skirt will help the back hang low and help the upper part hold its shape.  And a red lining for the skirt (and possibly some interfacing) will help it hang like a heavier fabric. 

The top half doesn't look quite possible without raising the back or using a sheer flesh-colored fabric.  A strap would probably wreck the smooth line from the front to the back by pulling at the fabric at the level of the strap. 

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:30:21 pm »
Im pretty sure its physically possible because Ive seen dresses VERY SIMILAR to that before in like prom magazines...

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04:39 pm »
I suggest making it one piece as well, maybe crossing together a swimsuit/dance pattern and a skirt pattern to get tightness then the insanely slitted skirt... okay, that's not a skirt. A sarog at best. xDD

But, anyway. Make it out of a strong material, stretchy like maybe spandex. Reinforce the hell out of those straps and the choker. I also suggest making the choker and straps seperate (they look sewn together) by making the choker with clasps and tying the halter top and hiding the tie under the choker. Because if whatever's keeping the choker on fails, the whole top comes off. Hmm... There is a way that might even get that sucking in effect at the bottom of the breast in the second picture. As long as the dress has only one thick layer, you can put fabric or skin tape under the breast to attach the dress to it. Also, definately use a strapless, silicon bra. You know, the kind with no straps that sticks on? But be careful that it doesn't show through; though without it, there is a high chance of the nipple showing.

Another thing, lots of tape along both edges, of course. xD And again, for the pattern, maybe a haltertop one piece bathing suit pattern or a dance team pattern like this one: http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3273&QL=MissLeotards
Alter the pattern to lower the back and cut a hole in the front of the black one or just tie the straps around your neck and lower the back on the second one. Just below the waist, just after the edge created by lowering the back, cut off the legs of the pattern and attach something like a skirt pattern to it, maybe taking a bit off of the top of the skirt pattern. Then when you make it, sew like normal and just leave one seam of the skirt portion hemed, not sewn together, to make the slit. It could also work with an accurate sarog rectangle too.

Good luck? xD

EDIT

Also, maybe use this pattern: http://www.sewingpatterns4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8271&currency=USD
Just alter the front and cut a clit in the side and add a choker. Oh, and take in the skirt a hell of a lot. xD
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:06:15 pm by Mitsukai Mizu Amaya »
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:42:57 pm »
Any suggestions I would have seem to have been said already... So just a couple more things, for fabric I would suggest perhaps the wrong side of stretchy bridal satin.  I've had good luck with this in the past.  And if you can't find a good bra like that but you're already perky enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem... Then you can put a LARGE BANDAID OVER THE NIPPLEEEE it may sting a little to take it off, but really it's not that bad (as long as you don't do something retarded, like sticking the sticky part directly on the nipple).  It works (almost) just as well for not having any poking out, and it's flesh colored, and really cheap. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »
Thanks for all the help! I'm getting a little worried about finding a fabric that's going to be the right color (I don't see a lot of purple fabric around) but I'm going to start looking in about 2 weekends after my finals. Wish me luck. I'll take all the advice to heart!

@Mitsukai- Damn, that last pattern looks amazing. I'm going to have to go and look for it.

@Serika- I'm actually going to put in the money to buy a nubra I think. And bandaids on nipples sounds super painful D:

~2012 cosplay mofos~