Author Topic: Avatar The Last Airbender LIVE ACTION MOVIE  (Read 15904 times)

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
Avatar The Last Airbender LIVE ACTION MOVIE
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:48:10 pm »
So i just picked up the G.I. Joe Movie and the first trailer started out looking like your average karate movie, until he took off his hood. OMG they made a movie out of it.

It is to be released next summer

M. Night Shyamalan's
The Last

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/
=^_^=

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
Re: Avatar The Last Airbender LIVE ACTION MOVIE
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:59:44 pm »
Not to be rude, but I'm 99% sure there's already a thread about this.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »
not to be rude but m night makes good ideas turn to the worst thing ever

also what a twist

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:36 pm »
Not to be rude, but I'm 99% sure there's already a thread about this.

You are semi right. there is a thread about anime adaptations to movies and it lists Avatar along with others, however, it is a gripe about adaptations not about the movie.
=^_^=

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:01:56 pm »
No, I'm almost certain there was a thread specifically for Avatar. I almost posted bitching about the racism regarding casting, but then decided not to.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:42:58 pm »
There is one for this already. I have posted in it >_>

Found it, even by the same name as this one http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=8940.0
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:44:05 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 04:36:32 am »
There is one for this already. I have posted in it >_>

Found it, even by the same name as this one http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=8940.0

Ah good, I don't have to give the link.

Anyone seen any news on this recently? I haven't seen any promo shots since the "race-bending" rage posts.

There is a way the movie could be worse. They could include this guy.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »

Ah good, I don't have to give the link.

Anyone seen any news on this recently? I haven't seen any promo shots since the "race-bending" rage posts.

There is a way the movie could be worse. They could include this guy.

Nope. Its been pretty quiet lately. Lots of stuff on James Cameron's Avatar though. :P
Team Koga

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:28 pm »
Nope. Its been pretty quiet lately. Lots of stuff on James Cameron's Avatar though. :P

I saw a 15 minute sneak preview for that at my movie theater like a month or two ago, and I have to say it looks amazing. There's a part where a marine soldier is marching up and down a row of troops and it has to be some of the best 3D work I've ever seen.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:24:39 am »
It'll be interesting to see what Shyamalan does with this type of movie.
If memory serves me correctly, he hasn't really done a movie of this
scope and magnitude yet and with the kind of story that avatar has laid
out, for one who spins quite an imaginative web, this project seems like a
well deserved challange. So far all the clips look well enough to scope and
allow for some excellent use of Shyamalan's expertise; putting plot changes in
where you thought they would never go.

I am a fan personally, of his work, I find his stories compelling and well
thought out, if only sometimes too conveluded for a single motion picture.
Airbender gives him the ability to span the story through multiple movies and take
on a much large much more dynamic cast, and more unknowns then he has
done in the past, I'm sure this'll be a treat to see.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:35:05 pm »
I relaly hope he finds actors/actresses that look their part.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »
I relaly hope he finds actors/actresses that look their part.

welllll......
We've got pics of sokka and zuko so far.
Zuko is the guy from slumdog millionaire
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 09:17:22 pm »
Not going to get my heart crushed by Shamalyan again.

Save Caprica!!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:24 pm »
...Did you seriously just bump a thread from 2009? :|
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »
Technically since the movie is about to come out... its a legitimate bump... although I'd have preferred a more weighty addition to the conversation then "I wont see it." But I digress... The most recent trailer on the new Iron Man movie was certainly a good addition to the hype. I think they took the POV in a different direction with this trailer, giving the characters a bit of an older feel, and less animation/cartoonish. It feels more epic... hopefully it will follow through.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:33:58 pm »
Is bumping a bad thing?
I would've been excited for this film, but it didn't seem to capture the lightheartedness that was in the anime.

Save Caprica!!

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »
They didn't cast a fat happy guy for Iroh...

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
^Noticed that too.

Save Caprica!!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »
They didn't cast a fat happy guy for Iroh...
That made me angry. The Fire Nation is influenced by East Asia, but they made it mostly Indian in the movie.
As someone pointed out on another forum, it seems like M. Night Shamalan made is that way so that he can cameo as a Fire Nation guy.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:48:46 pm »
That made me angry. The Fire Nation is influenced by East Asia, but they made it mostly Indian in the movie.
As someone pointed out on another forum, it seems like M. Night Shamalan made is that way so that he can cameo as a Fire Nation guy.

Actually that's a better reason than some of the others I've heard.
I was happy with the shots I saw of Appa, so that's something.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:38 pm »

Well actually the only elements the explicitly depict for fire nation are Indian, Chinese and Japanese... and very little of the latter. As a mixture of Chinese/Indian actors can be seen in the preview, I think they did alright... It's rather difficult to defend an argument that any one nation is "Supposed" to be a type and a shadow of any real Nation due to it being a FANTASY, with many different elements thrown in. Though keeping a static basis is a good idea, I think as long as they don't have too many fire-nation'ers that look like Brittish Soldiers, we will be okay. ^_^

As far as I can see:

Fire should be a Indian/Chinese race
Earth should be a Chinese/Korean race
Water should be a Inuit/Chinese race
Air should be a Chinese/Tibetan race

But thats just based on the look and the clothing of each of the peoples, not on any specific information from the writers, directors or creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

oslapedo

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:06 pm »
Appa looks awesome.

And admittedly, as much as this movie angers me just by existing, I am excited as hell to see it.

lol @ water nation and fire nation switching skin tones

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 08:00:00 pm »
Ima watch the whole series again and hope to see the premiere.  ahhhh yes

oslapedo

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 08:07:12 pm »
I vant to vatch vit vouuuuu.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
COME OVERRR or something dumb like that. FREELOAD AT SHAY'S?  :D

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:14 pm »
Well it's gonna be a party already next weekend with Maddy and Colleen there!

On-topic~

I'm quite sad that they didn't get the Track Team to compose for this movie, I quite love them and the background music in the finale of the show felt quite theatrical.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

Well actually the only elements the explicitly depict for fire nation are Indian, Chinese and Japanese... and very little of the latter. As a mixture of Chinese/Indian actors can be seen in the preview, I think they did alright... It's rather difficult to defend an argument that any one nation is "Supposed" to be a type and a shadow of any real Nation due to it being a FANTASY, with many different elements thrown in. Though keeping a static basis is a good idea, I think as long as they don't have too many fire-nation'ers that look like Brittish Soldiers, we will be okay. ^_^

As far as I can see:

Fire should be a Indian/Chinese race
Earth should be a Chinese/Korean race
Water should be a Inuit/Chinese race
Air should be a Chinese/Tibetan race

But thats just based on the look and the clothing of each of the peoples, not on any specific information from the writers, directors or creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
It really frustrates me when people say "oh lol it's fantasy" because the Asian influences are really obvious. This is the way I see things:

Fire should be Japanese/Chinese (it mostly reminds me of in WWII when Japan attempted to take over all of East Asia, but clothing and architecture is very Chinese)
Earth should be Chinese (A giant country with varying social/economic classes, clothing + architecture)
Water should be Inuit (On the poles, clothing style, etc)
Air should be Tibetan/Buddhist Monks (appearance is almost identical)

Casting some Indian actors wouldn't bother me, but it seems like they completely changed the race of the Fire Nation. It's a bit awkward to put it this way, but none of the Fire Nation characters look Indian. They look FAR more stereotypically East Asian (China, Korea, Japan) than Indian. When the studio first announced the casting for Zuko, it was right when people started to get mad about casting white kids as the main (obviously Inuit) characters, and a lot of people claimed they they just hired Dev Patel so that people couldn't say that they were only hiring white actors. I still see it that way.
I don't want to get into things like specific skin colors because that's a really bad topic to get into online, especially on this forum. But that's just what I think.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:00 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks Zuko looks way too old, and that it's completely stupid that he doesn't have his scar (or the hair style from the series)? I mean, c'mon, the scar was part of his character, it basically made him who he was.
I guess they're not even going to go into that part, eh? I guess in the movie he never really was banished or something...

That and the movie doesn't seem to have the humor that the series had. Well, from what I can tell, anyway.
I'm curious if Sokka is going to be funny like he is in the series? Probably not...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:39:25 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

oslapedo

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 05:31:47 pm »
My extreme love for Dev Patel helps me overlook all that.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
I saw in the paper today that people are whining about that most of the cast in The Last Airbender movie aren't Asian. Supposedly fans of the series are "offended" that Asians were bypassed for a white cast. I guess people will cry about anything anymore. Don't people have anything better to do with their time?
I mean... most of the characters in the animated series don't look entirely Asian, anyway. Yes, many do, but not all of them. Heck, Katara and Sokka have blue eyes, which most Asians don't. Toph doesn't look Asian at all (though I'm not sure if she's going to be in this movie anyway). Even Aang doesn't look exactly Asian, just his skin color.

I think people are whining over nothing, but that's just me. Besides, if the cast was all Asian than people would whine about the characters not having the right eye or hair color, or something like that.
And it's not the first Asian-styled series that had a primarily white cast in a live-action adaption. Why not complain about those, too?

Alright... my little rant is over. I just get fed up with people whining about useless things that really shouldn't even make any difference.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:20:13 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 04:03:57 pm »
I saw in the paper today that people are whining about that most of the cast in The Last Airbender movie aren't Asian. Supposedly fans of the series are "offended" that Asians were bypassed for a white cast. I guess people will cry about anything anymore. Don't people have anything better to do with their time?
I am so amazed right now, wow. Your entire reply just screams "bigot" to me.

I read most of the article you mentioned, and it brought up good points. Avatar was one of the very few cartoons, let alone shows, that didn't have an all-white cast. Also I wonder if you watched the same show that the rest of us did, considering how obvious the characters races are. Katara and Sokka are very clearly Inuit-based, like the rest of the Water Tribes, and if you don't think that Aang and Toph aren't Asian, then you aren't paying very good attention.
Like I said above, Avatar was a show that had a ton of diversity for a cartoon. I'm white, but I've read things from non-white viewers saying that it's nice to see a show with characters that aren't all white, like most cartoons are. So it's really jarring and questionable to suddenly go "LOL JK GUYZ" to throw that diversity out the window and cast all the leads as white kids.
Not to mention white protagonists fighting a dark-skinned army and getting help along the way from other minorities. That's just so... ugh. It makes me uncomfortable.

And it's not the first Asian-styled series that had a primarily white cast in a live-action adaption.
Do you think that makes it okay? What if the characters were black, would that be okay? Hollywood whitewashing is NEVER okay, no matter how often it occurs. It is bias towards whites, thinking that they're better actors.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 05:48:32 pm »
I am so amazed right now, wow. Your entire reply just screams "bigot" to me.

I appreciate that you are sincerely concerned my dear but it appears you might be going a bit over the top with regards to who you name-call in regards to this discourse.

I'd prefer it if we keep the term "Bigot" out of this discussion in context to people who have not actually made bigamous remarks. If someone had stated that "Those -insert racist remark- Asians are always so whiny about everything! Now they are complaining about white kids taking their acting roles!" I'd be full up
behind you and would most likely delete the comment for its inflammatory nature. However, what was said seems to be more of a "Seems like anything can be the point of contention for fans these days." No where in that did the writer mention a race of person complaining. Merely that race was being argued over by fans and that, to this author, it was overblown.

While I certainly understand your disagreeing with THAT statement, lets keep our enemies clear; the points of argumentation, not the people making the arguments.

Further more; I'd like to re-address a point that was dismissed I feel unjustly. The point of Fantasy in this debate.

Unless you can specifically point out to me a real life account of a people call the FIRE NATION/WATER TRIBE/EARTH KINGDOM/AIR NOMADS, and give me historical documentation on the nature of their clothing, customs and appearance, I am going to have to assume that these four "Nations" are nothing more than the brain child of very creative writers and animators who used real life basis for their fictional story. Yet, they never stated in one single episode of their creation any actual tie to a real country/people/race. In fact, many different periods in many separate cultures were used in congruence with separate nations (meaning you might see Xin Dynasty markings in the Earth Kingdom as well as Fire Nation, but have both East and West Jin Dynasty styles in Fire Nation and give nothing of that to Earth Kingdom).

So, as we work under the knowledge that each nation is, while based primarily on a few specific ethnic markers, a fictional creation of authors and animators, we can begin to respect the work in a way that allows us to understand that, anything can be possible. Blue-eyed medium brown haired women with a hazel colored skin would have certainly looked odd in historic Inuit villages, but with the span of time may not be so odd as many peoples have become mixed into almost every race. Katara herself is certainly no good example of a traditional Inuit women. Her personal look actual derives specifically from (as far as my anthropologist undergrad friend can guess)Northern American Indians and Inuit cultures. Leaving her a bit lighter than her elders in the show, and without as many of the traditional Inuit features in favor of a more basic palate (which lends itself to easier animating).

I could nit pick each and every person in the show and explain how over the years the mixture of cultures in one race to another has prohibited anyone from clearly stating that THIS is what the people should look like. The difference between Ozai and Iroh is striking in the show to me. But the basic summary is that there is a basic guideline for each of the different nations, but it is by no means set in stone. And while we may not like that certain attributes have been re-worked for certain main characters I think you will have to agree at the very least that we can't know how much the initial casting will effect the end result of the look of the character until we see the finished film.

Another thought that arose in my head is choices;
How are we to know how many Inuit actors and actresses came out for auditions... and how many among them had the talent and the endurance to put themselves through what is sure to be a grueling movie filming experience. Shyamalan is no stranger to casting No-names in important roles, or people he trusts immensely. But if they aren't good, or wouldn't stand up to the pressure, he has a very cold way of dealing with you. This has been stated by many of his closest work companions. He wont put up with anything below excellence and if you aren't able to stand out on location for 14 hours a day and get nothing done and have to come back tomorrow and do it all over again... perhaps these were the people who endured, regardless of what they looked like and so he chose them for the hard roles.

I don't know the full story, none of us do. I do know that I deplore the shouting of fire in a crowded room and I have the same feeling for shouting racism in a charged climate. Unless you really mean it and you have the absolute evidence to back it up, all you are doing is creating chaos for the sake of chaos. Nothing we say is going to change the casting, or the directorship, and the endless debate on who is right merely creates dissension, not acceptance. We burn bridges with this kind of talk, we don't create them.

I dunno, I am a Granddaughter of a Cherokee Indian, but you will never catch me at a Pow-Wow because I'm not an Indian, I'm the Granddaughter of one, and I draw that distinction very clearly.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 05:54:54 pm »
Think about my post what you like, Fluer, but I just think it's lame to whine over something so useless. I mean, as long as it's a good movie, who cares if everyone's the correct race? If fans are offended about that why aren't they offended that the directors didn't cast a giant white buffalo to play Appa or a floppy-eared monkey to play Momo? :P

Sure, I think it would have been better to have a better match to the animated series, but it doesn't, so what? I think it's a lame excuse for people to get "offended" over. I think it's a small thing... Why get all worked up over it?

I never said white people were better actors, nor did I ever mention that I don't think diversity is a good thing. I never even mentioned anything close to bigotry. If I had such ideas why would I even watch Japanese anime at all? Or almost any movie or series for that matter? I find it rather offensive that you would even suggest such a thing about me. Why attack me when I have said nothing rude, offensive, racist, sexist, derogatory or anything like that? Why attack me because I simply have a different opinion than you do?
And besides, wouldn't what you just said about me be classified as "bigotry"? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
"A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing opinion."

However, I agree, the animated series had a lot of diversity, which I thought was quite interesting. But the movie doesn't... so what? The point I'm simply trying to make is that I think it's nothing to get all worked up about. I think people need to sit back and enjoy the movie, not nitpick it. Enjoy it for what it has to offer. Don't bash it before it's even out. Give it a chance. People are too quick to act.
Even if the races were "correct" than someone would complain about something else. The cycle would continue on and on, and all I'm saying is that I think it's a useless, pointless argument and nothing that anyone should be "offended" over. It's a fictional story in a fictional world with fictional characters.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up here, and I surely never meant any offense by it. I simply thought that this was a thread discussing the movie, and I recently read the article and thought I'd mention it here seeing as this was already discussing the movie. Maybe that was a bad decision on my part, and if so, my post can easily be deleted.

I never said that I don't think Aang was Asian... I said he doesn't look completely Asian. And Toph doesn't look Asian at all to me, but that's my own opinion, which I'm entitled to now aren't I?
Though technically speaking, no one in the series is Asian, Inuit, or anything else. Asia and other countries really doesn't even exist in that universe so the whole point is moot anyway... :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:26:41 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »
TL;DR
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:31:43 pm by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
Film companies work hard at getting people to see their films. They use demographic testing and focus groups more than Wall Street uses bailouts. And so race does come into play, sometimes. We don't want to scare people from seeing the movie that we expect to be a really big blockbuster do we?

This is merely pandering of the basest denominator. It's easier than getting people to look at others in a positive light. And thus I explain talk radio too!

If it really offends you, don't just complain on an anime forum, boycott the film, and then write a letter to the film, production, and releasing companies, and get a whole lot of people to sign it! Maybe then we can have a movie starring the Reverend Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh, playing brothers from back in the hood, working some cheezy fast food joint.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:04 am »
Movie is terrible, do NOT watch.
Team Koga

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 04:08:25 am »
I heard there were 1000+ plot holes and very visible green screening. M. Night has done it again!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:33 am »
I'm still loling at 'Ong'
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »
Yeah it was pretty bad,

~Terrible pacing
~Terrible Acting
~Tons of Plot holes
~Poor Post-production 3D

This sums it up pretty well
http://io9.com/5576076/m-night-shyamalan-finally-made-a-comedy?skyline=true&s=i
Team Koga

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »
That's really too bad, I was hoping that this would actually be a decent movie. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing, but I was hoping it would be somewhat entertaining.
Still, I want to see it for myself... I waited this long, I might as well go through with it.

Though it can't be any worse than "Where the Wild Things Are". That was the worst movie I've ever seen... Felt like I wasted two hours of my life on that crappy movie. Ugh, I'm still mad at myself for spending $1 at Redbox to rent it. What a waste of a perfectly good dollar-- I should've gotten a burger instead. :P

This Year's Cosplay:

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:51 pm »
I quite enjoyed it. :D

Not for it being a good movie, I just did. hahahaha

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:49 am »
Fun movie
Felt rushed but had some cool moments, I LOVED Noah Ringer as Aang,
Hopefully they get enough following to make the other two because I feel like
the further they get the better the movies will be.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline kai-chan

• Cabbit
    • Kawaii Factor
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:42 pm »
well I for one think that it should follow the cartoon with its different nations ethnic backgrounds. Aang is a Buddhist Munk!! AKA Asian. Fire nation is also Asian. the water tribe and the earth nation also have distinct ethnicity to them aswell. Its one of the things that makes the show great.

Offline Banshee

• Cabbit
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »
Saw the movie today, and have to say it was enjoyable enough.  I have only see a little of the anime it's based off of, so many of the complints about the casting and such that I have seen people chime in about weren't a problem for me.  The movie wasn't as 'great' as I was hoping it would be, but as mentioned before it felt a bit rushed.  I know there were a few fights were people were in one area fighting and suddendly they somewhere else.  Like they did a miny time jump.  Something like that in a fast fight just seemed odd.

Other wise I liked the movie fine.  The CG was good as far as I was concerned and I like the over all feel of it.  If nothing else, the one thing I walked away from this moving with was wanting to see the anime version.  I knew going in that they were condencing a lot in to one movie, and you did kind of get that feeling.  Still the ideas and feel of it got me interested enought to want to see the anime, knowing that it will have a lot more character development that the movie just didn't have the time for.

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 04:56:52 am »
I watched all of the cartoon series (Which I looooooooove) over before going and seeing the movie.
:) I was disappointing, screw you m.night shyamalan!
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »
The movie was pretty bad.  Nothing gets explained, and the transition between scenes is TERRIBLE!

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 10:29:07 pm »
Oh god, yea.
XD Sad thing is, I'm still going to pay money to go see the other movies.
I hope book 2 and 3 are better. v.v
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline maybellepastry

• Oni
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »
This movie was so so bad xD It was funny sometimes because of its stupidity, but mostly it just distressed me. I went knowing it would be bad though lol.

It just saddens me that they turned a really good show into an awful movie. Avatar had the potential to be a good movie...if someone would have done it right. Of course, months and months ago when I had first found out about it and the ethnicity changes, that's what angered me the most, because it makes no sense. But what was up with the random name mispronuncations?? What sort of marketing technique could there possibly be in making "Aang" to "Ahng" and "Sokka" to "Sohkka", and "Iroh" to "Eeroh"?? what the heckk

Also I loved (not really loved) when Katara and Sokka, the whitest people in the movie for some reason, are in a water tribe with random Asian/Inuit people in the background. just. just no.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »
Ya, if there was a good director doing this movie it could have been movie of the year.  To bad, there goes all our future live action potential down the drain.

What is with ALL the shitty live action movies?? DBZ was only meh if not down right bad.  Resident Evil was good, but the other 3 movies sucked.  Now this. :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:56:14 pm by camname21 »

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 09:53:29 am »
Well, I saw it over the weekend and personally I didn't think it was so bad. Yeah, the pronunciations bugged me (why M. Night thought it sounded more "Asian" that way is beyond me), and it felt extremely rushed and frantic, and the characters lacked emotion and had no development whatsoever... but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst I've seen by far. Maybe it's because I went in with extremely low expectations, but I was pleased overall. I'd like to see it again, actually (and I probably will be with a group from GAIA Online in a week or two).

The changing of races didn't really bother me at all, seeing as there really were no named races in the series anyway. Sure, the characters could have been a better match to their animated counterparts, but I really wasn't bothered by it.
What bothered me most was how bland Sokka and Aang were. Where was Sokka's funny, witty remarks and Aang's playfulness? It also bothered me how drab and ordinary all the Fire Nation royalty was dressed. Heck, Ozai looked like he was dressed as a grunt soldier, if they didn't say who he was I never would've known. He should have been dressed much more elegantly, looking much more regal. A crown would've helped, too. Same with Zuko.
Zuko's scar also bothered me. It was there but you could barely see it. You had to look really, really closely just to see a couple faint creases under his left eye. Why bother at all? The scar should have been much more noticeable.

Though honestly I was more ticked off for paying extra to see 3D and I saw no 3D effects at all. It really wasn't worth paying extra as there was nothing 3D in it, at least nothing I saw. It felt like I was watching a 2D movie. Where were all these supposed neat 3D effects?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:57:31 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay: