Author Topic: An idea  (Read 7191 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
An idea
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:45:50 pm »
How about enlightening local fabric stores about the con and showing them some pictures of common costumes so they can set something up for when people come in?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
An idea
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:23:03 pm »
it might be a long shot, but worth a try
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
An idea
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 06:40:55 pm »
hmm...

why not just tell them to make alot of Naruto and Full Metal Alcamist stuff so we can get more anoying popular anime cosplayers 8)

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
An idea
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 04:17:12 pm »
I have no clue what they could possibly set up.  I mean we just rampage through the store, get our materials like anybody else and buy it and leave.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
An idea
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 08:01:34 pm »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
I have no clue what they could possibly set up.  I mean we just rampage through the store, get our materials like anybody else and buy it and leave.

maby they can premake outfits and sell them haha :P

ya but im with her! i dont rely see a way anything difrent would happen...

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
An idea
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 12:22:12 am »
Well, I'm thinking that by showing them some popular costumes, they could find patterns for similar things.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
An idea
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 06:10:02 pm »
Oh. . . part of the fun is sitting around that table for 3 hours trying to find a pattern in a book that you can alter fo ryour costume.  I dunno, it's part of the sport for me, lol!  XD

Plus, the fewer "popular" costumes that happier I will be!  I like the variety.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
It can be done.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 06:17:31 pm »
I've already informed a local wig shop about the need for strange and oddly colored wigs. I'm going to bring her a bunch of coplay photos so she can stock some that can be altered for different costumes. She may be at the con. I have to see if she's still interested in a booth.

I think having some base patterns would be nice, as it would get more people involved in making their own costumes without a lot of training. I'm learning how to drape my own from scatch. It's a pain, and I could not do it with out help from the fantastic Dash. If I didn't have any sewing background or friends in design, I would love to have a pattern that I could alter available. At the very least, if a fabric store were involved, we could get percents off, and maybe specialized classes on making props, bodices, skirts, maybe even altering wigs. There's one I could use.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
An idea
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 01:05:20 am »
Well, when looking through a local joeann's (spelling?) fabric store thingy i found they didnt have the colors and fabric types i would need for my future costumes and things. like grey for tsunade's kimono, all they had was shiney fabrics and i need dull... things like that... or they could get patterns on how to make pleated skirts... or stock up on white for school girl shirts and stuff... (of course thats just the stuff i need... lol)

might be nice to get a discount...
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
An idea
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 09:08:12 am »
Like Daystar said, that'd be really helpful.  Personally, I don't have the time to run around a fabric store for 4 hours trying to find the right fabric, so I would really appreciate it if there was already a section with a selection of anime/video game workable fabrics to look through where I might find just what I need.

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
An idea
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 12:53:36 pm »
Ah, guess I'm just uber-hardcore, lol!

Yeah, I hate it when you go in there and you can see the fabric in your head and then they don't have it!!!  Makes me want to cry . . .

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
Re: It can be done.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 11:00:26 am »
Quote from: "Imari"
I've already informed a local wig shop about the need for strange and oddly colored wigs. I'm going to bring her a bunch of coplay photos so she can stock some that can be altered for different costumes. She may be at the con. I have to see if she's still interested in a booth.

I think having some base patterns would be nice, as it would get more people involved in making their own costumes without a lot of training. I'm learning how to drape my own from scatch. It's a pain, and I could not do it with out help from the fantastic Dash. If I didn't have any sewing background or friends in design, I would love to have a pattern that I could alter available. At the very least, if a fabric store were involved, we could get percents off, and maybe specialized classes on making props, bodices, skirts, maybe even altering wigs. There's one I could use.

some of the people working at fabric stores don't know that much about fabric. i have an example: i spoke with one of there customers randomly (a guy had a bag from the Mill End store so i inquired).  "what kind of fabric" i asked. and he responded, "the gal told me it was a Lycra-Spandex blend."  

Lycra is Spandex is people (sorry Soilent Green moment) it's actually made from oil all synthetic fibers: polyester, nylon: made from petrolium
not rayon= rayon is reconstituted wood pulp Tencel is the trade name for Lyocel which is a HWM (high wet modulus) rayon.  viscos rayon is weak when wet, so they played with the solutions to make it stronger and HWM means it's stronger than the original when wet. :D

Lycra is the trade name (only one company can use the name because they own it) of Spandex. (spandex is the generic name= anyone or comany can use the name)

any set up idea for asking a fabric store to do anything for you wouldn't work, a good portion (i can't say all) of the employees wouldn't have a clue as how to work anything out.  Also i agree the fabric selection is poor.

forgive me for being opinionated but i had a class in textiles and for 4 hrs a week for 10 weeks totaling about $1000 dollars I learned that little bit.
 :shock: i think i have said enough for a while... eccept
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
Ah, guess I'm just uber-hardcore, lol!

Yeah, I hate it when you go in there and you can see the fabric in your head and then they don't have it!!! Makes me want to cry . . .

I know exactly what you mean. looking for something specific, an effect, and they can't provide.  and the little i like i can't afford.  i have expensive taste, and i'm really picky.  it's a hassle really!
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007
I wanted everyone to survive the con.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
An idea
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 06:33:31 pm »
dash, you are brilliant.
have you thought about giving a workshop on textiles/materials for cosplay, and maybe sewing lessons? either at the con or in prep for it?
i love you, text message me!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).