Author Topic: 2010 Creator Spotlights  (Read 8355 times)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
2010 Creator Spotlights
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:24 pm »
Yes, I stole this idea entirely from Sakuracon but it seemed really popular and like a really good idea:

Basically the AMV viewing room would be shanghaied a few times over the course of the weekend for a popular creator who attends our convention (ie TCL, rollthestampede, etc) to show off some of their work and Q+A with the audience. I think we have a lot of really awesome creators here and they have genuine fans, as well as people who are just interested in how they work, and we could get a number of good panels out of this.

Similarly, I know that Sakuracon also had a "Creator Panel" where the different spotlight people did an hour or so of Q+A, which I also thought went nicely.

Is anybody else interested in this idea? Should people other than our two or three really big name creators be allowed to have spotlights? If so, does anybody have suggestions on who/how we decide who is eligible?

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: 2010 Creator Spotlights
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »
Yes, I stole this idea entirely from Sakuracon but it seemed really popular and like a really good idea:

Basically the AMV viewing room would be shanghaied a few times over the course of the weekend for a popular creator who attends our convention (ie TCL, rollthestampede, etc) to show off some of their work and Q+A with the audience. I think we have a lot of really awesome creators here and they have genuine fans, as well as people who are just interested in how they work, and we could get a number of good panels out of this.

Similarly, I know that Sakuracon also had a "Creator Panel" where the different spotlight people did an hour or so of Q+A, which I also thought went nicely.

Is anybody else interested in this idea? Should people other than our two or three really big name creators be allowed to have spotlights? If so, does anybody have suggestions on who/how we decide who is eligible?

Sounds pretty BA if you ask me.

I would more than likely attend at least one of the "Spotlights"

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:29 pm »
Hmmm... it might be intresting. I don't know how many of the editors actually came down to Kumouricon. What there was like 5 of us at the AMV dinner, and another 2 showed up to do Iron Chef?  And it also comes down to how many videow we have to our names, i only have 2 at the momment and what i do create between now and con will be submitted to the contest.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
Hmmm... it might be intresting. I don't know how many of the editors actually came down to Kumouricon. What there was like 5 of us at the AMV dinner, and another 2 showed up to do Iron Chef?  And it also comes down to how many videow we have to our names, i only have 2 at the momment and what i do create between now and con will be submitted to the contest.

Hmm, well that's an issue of course. But I mean, I've got 5 currently (although I really don't like 1 of them) and several AMV Hell Minis submissions. Also, if they were scheduled after the contest we would have the opportunity to talk about our submissions and such. (Including the ones I'm submitting for this next contest I should have more like 9 or 10, which sounds like plenty?)

But I mean, even if we only want to stick to famous creators, we've still got Guy, rollthestampede, and TCL. Chances are at least 1 of them would be willing to do this? Right? ::sweatdrop::

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:47:26 pm »
TCL did it for Sakuracon, and i bet Roll would be down. Aslo i don't know how busy he is but MelleniumStrife is usually floating around.

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:18:33 am »
I'm soooo in.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »
I'm soooo in.

Yay! You or Roll being interested would definitely make or break this idea, I'm super happy you're in.

So, other than me, TCL, maybe SMT, and hopefully RtS, is anybody else interested? It'd also be cool if Guy wanted to do one, or at least give his opinion on this idea. Does anybody know how we'd go about making this happen?

Also, total aside but SMT, I really like your new icon :D

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 12:45:51 pm »
I would love to do this - and here below are a couple of ways we could try.
Definitely something to bring up at the next staff meeting.

- I would be happy to assist and coordinate such an event or programming track block. This would be a blast.

- In the 24-hr AMV viewing room, we "interrupt" the playlist (hey - they've got a computer and sound already up & running ...) and creators & studio folks bring a USB external HD or thumbdrive, talk about their projects, etc. Also a great way to screen projects 'in the cooker' and get audience feedback.  ('Which ending do you like better?')

- We could set up a VGA-input projector ( DVI, HDMI? )  and a small sound system in the Fan Creation Station and run is as a Clinic Day. This would also be a cool place to do the Iron Chef Check-in, early in the con.

- Other ideas?

- Also, how interested are some of the local AMV creators in appearing as con guests at other POrtland events such as Orycon or MEWcon?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
- I would be happy to assist and coordinate such an event or programming track block. This would be a blast.

That would be very much appreciated, maybe you could mention it at a staff meeting too? I would except I don't attend them because I live in a different city...

- In the 24-hr AMV viewing room, we "interrupt" the playlist (hey - they've got a computer and sound already up & running ...) and creators & studio folks bring a USB external HD or thumbdrive, talk about their projects, etc. Also a great way to screen projects 'in the cooker' and get audience feedback.  ('Which ending do you like better?')

This is essentially the format I was thinking of and the one I'd prefer. If I were to have a spotlight I'm not sure how I'd feel about showing unfinished videos though, it's already embarrassing to show finished ones that I feel are flawed (such as my Baccano one, actually). Then again, as a fan I'm sure I'd appreciate a "preview" of TCL or RtS's new work.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:55:38 pm »
A few years ago at SakuraCon, Vlad G Pohnert invited me and another editor to speak at a panel about our editing styles, and to select one of our own videos to demonstrate said styles. It was a lot of fun, even if I did act nervous talking in front of the crowd.

The point of my post? Don't get nervous. :p

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »
So, some time has passed and I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were now. Should we do individual creator spots or one creator panel? Both? Who is interest in being involved with which? If the individual creator spots occur, I think it would be best if they were built into the AMV room schedule; how would I go about filling out an event submission for that? Anything I'm missing?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:33 pm »
What I think might work is - I'll generate a simple spreadsheet (or HTML table with a link for everyone to see)
with some AMV blocks and some 'creator' slots in it, and we can fill them on a first-come-first-served basis?

(Starts designing a grid 6 days long ... we start Thursday at a a 'secret' AMV party location TBD, and go a day over past the Dead Dog party...) <- KIDDING !!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:10:56 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:35:20 pm »
Oh well that sounds awesome. That definitely is a workable solution.

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:11 am »
I'm sure My BF and I would attend something like this. We're both pretty new to AMV editing (this will be the first year we actually submit one) and I think it would be a great opportunity for us to glean some wisdom from the veteran editors.     
Have YOU heard the good news of Jenova?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 12:06:37 am »
How's that time-table looking so far?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »
What I think might work is - I'll generate a simple spreadsheet (or HTML table with a link for everyone to see)
with some AMV blocks and some 'creator' slots in it, and we can fill them on a first-come-first-served basis?

(Starts designing a grid 6 days long ... we start Thursday at a a 'secret' AMV party location TBD, and go a day over past the Dead Dog party...) <- KIDDING !!!

Hey there, just checking back in about this... we're certainly not running late or anything; turtles and I were just wondering about the specifics and hoping that we could nail some things down :)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »
Just got the schedules e-mailed to me - I'll have more complete information up ( & other stuff too ) over this weekend.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:22:42 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2010 Creator Spotlights - We have TWO "official" slots
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »
OK - Here we go:

Programming gave me TWO slots.
I'll fire up a new thread with details, plus the contest times & locations.