Author Topic: Sewing Machine T^T  (Read 1363 times)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
Sewing Machine T^T
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
I can't get my sewing machine to catch the bottom thread :/
Like... I watch it with no cloth, turning it by hand and everything looks fine, but the instant I try and sew though a piece of cloth the top thread won't make a loop around the bottom and catch the bobbin thread. I've googled it and I've:
Replaced my needle
Adjusted the Tension
Made sure the needle and thread are right
Dusted for lint
Oiled the machine
adjusted needle height

but NONE of this has changed anything. I got one half inch seam to sew right after replacing the needle, but it just stopped and won't start again. (Again) :(

I have a commission due next weekend, so I kinda need it working. If ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING I'D LOVE THE HELP!

Note: Its an Elna Elnita 200

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Sewing Machine T^T
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:41:54 pm »
Okay, when trying to sew is the bottom thread already out? Or is it still in the bobbin, waiting for it to catch?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:12 pm »
I've tried both ways. as in i can catch it with no cloth in the machine and pull it back, and when i try to sew nothing. OR i can not do that, and same thing; when I sew, nothing... :-[

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »
Uhm...this might be a stupid suggestion/question, but is your bobbin thread in the right direction? Mine (Brother brand) has to be in clockwise and I once put it in counterclockwise...so it didn't catch the thread.  :-\

I hope you solve your problem soon! Good luck.
And so it begins...

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:24:14 pm »
It's also possible the timing on your machine is off. If you still can't get it to work, try bringing it in for repairs. :c You can fix timing yourself if you really know what you're doing, but you could also really screw up your machine if you don't.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
Uhm...this might be a stupid suggestion/question, but is your bobbin thread in the right direction? Mine (Brother brand) has to be in clockwise and I once put it in counterclockwise...so it didn't catch the thread.  :-\

I hope you solve your problem soon! Good luck.
that was a good question ask, but yea, mine is counter clockwise too, and i definatly have it in right... I've been using this for years and its just not working. I think I'll probably have to take it in :(

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:10:54 pm »
Oooh, that's really gross. D8;;;

What kind of fabric are you using though?  I see you're making a costume out of latex/vinyl, and when I was working with extremely stretchy fabric i had the same problem.  If you're not using a stretch needle it's not going to catch the bobbin thread. 

If you're using "normal" fabric though, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe it just needs to rest for a little bit? 

If all else fails, turn it in for repairs.  (And if you lived near me I'd be happy to let you borrow my machine for that commission so long as my parents said it was okay?)
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:17 pm »
I actually got my Christmas present from my parents a few months early today! A new singer model 2932! ^^