Author Topic: Cosplay/Maid Cafe???  (Read 17756 times)

Offline ebasilio

• Cabbit
Cosplay/Maid Cafe???
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:20 pm »
So currently I'm going to culinary school to become a Pastry Chef. I really want to open a bakery or cafe or a combination of the two after I get done. I was also considering about opening a cosplay/maid cafe. My question to all of you is that do you think there is a market for a cosplay/maid cafe? I do plan on opening some type of eating establishment in Salem sometime in the future. If it did happen would you go? Let me know.
Cause we know how to party man, that's why they call us Boston tea

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Re: Cosplay/Maid Cafe???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:46:16 pm »
So... you mean... a pastry or bakery or food type place with maid-cosplay servers???

*Dies*

AHH THAT WOULD BE SOOOO AWESOME!!! I'd be like... hell bent to stop myself from
driving down to salem to audition for THAT job! *imagines driving the 40 min to work
every day just show she can work in a maid outfit* AHH! AWESOME!!!

I would so go eat there... no doubts about it... that would be waaay waay kawaii!!!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »
I think it's a cool idea, but people have come here saying that every year or so, just for their thread and ideas to be abandoned.

You could probably look up those threads for ideas. I don't know about interest in Salem, but I know in Portland there was a lot of positive feedback. I wish I could work at one, but I don't think I could even visit it if it were down there. ;u;

That's not to say you shouldn't do it.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:43 pm »
Location is everything, if you do some studies on where the largest group of people that will most likely go to this I'm sure it would work.  If you however do not chose a good location you are doomed.  There is even more to it then population, but with out the numbers its sadly no good no matter how die hard a few regulars are.

Is this a good idea? Ya, I'm pretty sure it would get a lot of people coming in if designed right.  Possibly look for other things to do with the shop besides just food.  I know there are others here with degrees in things that could turn a simple maid served pastry stop into a full out anime hot spot.  Plan well and you can make anything you want happen :)

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »
I could totally be cake decorator if I cant self employ well enough.....
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline ebasilio

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:37:38 am »
Location is a key factor if this does happen but there are so many other things to consider. Rent, employees, competition, economy but for me I think one of the biggest factors is if there is a market for it. If theres no market then the business wont last. Rule of thumb "If a person eats food at your restaurant and they like it they might tell one person, if the person dislikes your food they will tell 10 people".

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:49:30 am »
You have a market, its all how big you want to be/get.  The fans that will come are looking for a place to hang out all the time, it isn't a matter of market, because the market is whatever you want it to be and willing to adjust to fit.  YOU are the sole factor in if you fail or succeed.  Don't you want to make your thoughts come true, just give yourself a little nudge and it will be. *Hugs+Kisses*  ^.-

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:04:08 am »
Personally, I would LOVE to come, and even work there. But, location is important. I have absolutely no Idea how many people are into that sorta stuff in Salem, but I do know that there is a bunch of people in Portland that would go!
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:12 pm »
Just some Portland location ideas, I know you arent really looking at Portland but just about anywhere off the max line is a good idea. There is a bunch of open places off the Beaverton Creek Max stop. You can see it from the max line. Those open spaces are connected to a luxury apartment complex. If you consider its not far from Uwajimaya, right off the max line, and part of a nice apartment complex I think its prime real estate. Another idea is that I think I saw an open store front off the max line on 10th and Galleria.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:23:31 am »
I dunno, I kinda like the idea of a Salem locale, I mean... how much is out that south for Anime fans, I'm sure it'd seem at least a bit more feasible for Corvallis and Eugene fans, so... maybe spreading out the cool stuff might be a good idea!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:43:13 am »
I would work there 8|
[/ttly srs] Look me up if you plan on opening it 8D
I've been in culinary so far in all my high school career and baking is one if my strong points :3
I even went to state and help get best dessert for my school 8D
it sound totally cool but Salems sounds like a weird locat. but I'm sure some people wouldn't mind

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:28 am »
Not to be a downer but yes, this does get posted as an idea bout once a year.

I'm sure you could find a niche and actually get the business started but I'm not sure how well it would do. I don't go downtown often enough to claim that I'd go regularly. I've only actually been to Voodoo Donuts twice but I LOOOOVE that place.

I suggest speaking with Nekopan Bakery. They're the closest thing to a maid cafe that I've seen get anywhere.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »
 A maid Cafe would be uber awesome. I also graduated from Le Cordon Bleu for Baking & patisserie. I would be interested in being part of a maid cafe for k'con.  My sister lives in California and she is actually involved in a Maid cafe for Anime Expo in Los Angeles. They hold a cafe during the convention. I am not sure if they serve sweets and such. However they do puri puri dances and preformances and even some singing for the cafe guests. I am sure they do serve drinks and possible some food.
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline ebasilio

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:34:09 am »
There is no doubt. I do want to open my own type of eating establishment in salem, where I grew up. Opening a maid cafe would be so cool but I dont want it to burn and crash. Also I thought of selling marizpan anime character which sounds cool too.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »
You'd need to have lots of $$$ for start up is the problem. 

I think next to a place where people that are into anime and stuff would be a good idea.  Perhaps across from a high school or college somewhere?  Or near a mall.

I dunno, I think it'd be difficult to get going, but I bet it can be done successfully, just not easily.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »
This would be so cool~ :33
I'm going to Culinary school too after Highschool, so if you need any bakers or waitresses, contact me! x3
Anyway, I think people would be really interested in this.
It sounds unique, and there isn't anything like this there that I know of. :3
Good luck~

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 09:19:38 pm »
Salem might be too small, Portland or Seattle might be better choices for something niche like this. But good luck! I'd go~

Offline Hana-Chan

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »
 A maid Cafe would be sooo kool you should go for it! I would so go. ;D
(It's on you) Can you handle us
Soul Cool baby scandalous
(I'll show you) what I'm talking 'bout
Soul Cool baby watch it now

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 01:16:26 am »
I think the best way to get this rolling would be to speak to the owners of either the new anime store in the Lloyd center in Portland, or the new anime store, Silver Otaku, in Vancouver, and see if you can get some good advice, and possibly even support. Melch is right - you're going to need a TON of money to make this work, but if you can't get your cafe off the ground independently, perhaps you could even get one of the shops' owners to make this an annex or a part of one of the existing stores.

Also, alongside food, you should probably have a small manga/anime library and some couches where people can hang out and read/watch. There are lots of otaku in Northern Oregon, but we're really scattered, and if we had a place to hang out and relax year round, I think you might be able to capitalize enough to succeed monetarily. Maybe sell figures and such, too.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »
Sorry to say, but Silver Otaku is closing.

They've been around for a long time, actually (at least since '08? lul I dunno) but nobody really noticed their ads, apparently.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:45 pm »
Why not open a stall or have a food cart? Start up costs would be lower, and would also have a greater profit margin in comparison to rented shops.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »
Oh my, that sounds lovely <3
I think Portland would  be a great place if you wanted to stay in Oregon. Beaverton might also be good because a lot of people that are interested in anime go down there to the Sakura Festival and Uwajimaya. They have a lot of stuff in Beaverton, I go to there Hindu Temple and find that it's also a great place to pick up ingredients for Indian food. But I completely understand you wanting to have it in your hometown, I think that if you did enough advertising it would be quite successful. I for one would LOVE to work at a place like that! What a wonderful idea. I wish you good luck and don't give up your dream~
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »
i fully support this and wish you the best of luck in making this work!

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 11:21:10 pm »
Oh my, that sounds lovely <3
I think Portland would  be a great place if you wanted to stay in Oregon. Beaverton might also be good because a lot of people that are interested in anime go down there to the Sakura Festival and Uwajimaya. They have a lot of stuff in Beaverton, I go to there Hindu Temple and find that it's also a great place to pick up ingredients for Indian food. But I completely understand you wanting to have it in your hometown, I think that if you did enough advertising it would be quite successful. I for one would LOVE to work at a place like that! What a wonderful idea. I wish you good luck and don't give up your dream~

*See bold*

That's the kicker. There's far more to the internal works of a business than simply the Chefs, the waiters, and the waitresses. However, I'm gonna guess by the time you're out of culinary school, you'll understand this and whether you're determined to continue and end the dream shall be up to you.

However, being someone who is soon to enter into a graphic design degree program with one of the best GD programs there is, I fully support your reaching for the skies. As well, I'd be completely willing to support you if you decide to either start in Portland or branch there, which is always an option, and quite a profitable one once you have your market wrapped up. (See Voodoo Donuts.) Although, being realistic, you'll probably completely forget all the people who offered their help here by the time you finish school, so I'm not gonna say PM me when you're hiring. :P

P.S. Rest in peace Silver Otaku. I  and my sister were customers there for some time. :(

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 07:19:23 pm »
I would like to visit one now more than before due to watching Kaicho wa Maid-sama. lol I need a tsudere-goofy maid.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Jazzmin-anime

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! I would drive 3 hours to go to that!!!!!!!!!!!! ^,^

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:13 pm »
you know i plan on doing this exact same thing when.... its possible.... D: if i lived in salem id audition for it.... heck... id move up there for it
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline ebasilio

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:24 am »
Well.... my days as a baking and pastry student are coming to an end. Only a couple weeks left before I graduate and begin my exsternship. Reading comments, some enthusiastic about the idea and supporting and others being more realistic and seeing the business/baking/management side of the spectrum. I do plan on opening my own bakery/cafe in the future. Is it gonna be a maid-cafe? Who knows, Im not quite sure if the american public is ready for that yet. Hopefully in the future you will see me post something about the grand opening of my Maid cafe. Thank you all for the support.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 11:13:22 am »
Who cares IF the people are ready for a maid cafe, you have to MAKE THEM accept it!  Its the only way most taboos or lewd considered things become accepted. 

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 11:46:49 am »
Yeah, we're ready. xD

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »
I know that there are some very successful Costume Restaurants around the US, so this is not completely out of reach. Hooters does pretty well as well, and that's sort of in the same genre.

A mix of good food/pastries/etc and cute costumes would definitely bring in the masses. Location is everything though, and Portland and Seattle would probably be the best bet if you want to stay somewhat local. Joining up with another business might be a good idea. Asian Goods or Anime Shops might be a good idea. With a great atmosphere, a Maid Cafe would do better than a cosplay cafe, I think. However much it is an otaku thing in Japan, it appeals to a larger crowd in America. Unless you included other things people would recognize, the cosplay cafe would blow right past anyone that isn't a hardcore fan. XD