Author Topic: FLCL  (Read 10128 times)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
FLCL
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:07:17 pm »
One of the most legendary anime of all time.

6 episodes of violence, product placement, and hilarity.

Fans of this series, discuss.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: FLCL
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:55:53 pm »
Seemed longer then it was.  Why only 6 shows, or better yet where can i see other shows jam packed with goodness like this?

Gud show.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:01:16 am »
Seemed longer then it was.  Why only 6 shows, or better yet where can i see other shows jam packed with goodness like this?

Gud show.
may i ask what you liked about it?
if you liked the randomness, another really good series is Ninja Nonsense.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:28:55 am »
First off, the heavy sexual but non hentai content, think they describe it as ecchi?  Second YES all the randomness makes this show what it is, I only put the other first because its a preference, and a must have in most anime I watch ^.^  but the randomness is more to the point.  I was happy to see it wasn't completely random, due to the fact that it was a Sci fi aspect that contibuted most of it, or it would have been to odd for me.  You can be random but you must have an explanation even if it is somewhat vague!

I'll check out ninjas

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:04 am »
FLCL actually has substance, in which it differs from many of the other "nonsense" shows. There is a plot, and though it might not be very coherent, it does string along.

I love the visuals, and i love the culture references, which were often from a generation removed from the usual audience, but still worked. Crystal Pepsi? They stopped making that when I was about 8.

I like Amarao most of all, especially in the John Woo tribute episode "...I'm not a kid any more: I can buy my own insurance and everything!" I actually like the dub of this show, and in fact have never seen it in Japanese, as I see no need, so entertaining are the voices in English.

There has almost always been a year between the times I watch this(its hard to imagine this has been out for 6 years), and each time, a new layer of meaning un-peels for me, like some sort of weird and delicious fruit.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:45:46 am »
Aww see you actually talk like you know something, and here I'm just saying give me hot girls and some sort of story.. /cry

Maybe after I watch more anime I'll find some sophistication in my descriptions  :(

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:21:42 am »
ok, so i totally agree about the substance thing.
and i loved the crystal pepsi reference.

i think what i liked most about this series is that the story could have been a great serious one, but it isn't.
they could have made it a drama, or an action series, but they took it elsewhere.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:35:52 am »
Ya its it's own thing, and all crammed into a super dense bundle with almost no frames unneeded.  you could watch this in 5 minute segments and still feel like you watched a whole show of something else.  All while still liking it for not being the same as the rest.  I haven't seen all the like some, but from the normal viewer this show everything seemed totally drastically different.  Characters even had opposite and odd points of view from the standard boy girl perspective. 

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:14:14 am »
There's already a topic about this.  It's called, "What Anime Literally Blew Your Mind?"
;P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
I mentioned this at PaladinCecil's forum, Anime that Jumped the Shark over on Youtube. Go to PaladinCecil's Channel over on Youtube to find it.
Anyway I mentioned that the show never jumped the shark. Yeah it was completely random and insane but it made no predalections about being anything but random and insane. I'd say it's like watching an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on crack. For only 6 Episodes it was jam packed full of wonderful anime silliness. That's why I believe FLCL rocks and rocks super hard!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:16:27 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:43 pm »
There's already a topic about this.  It's called, "What Anime Literally Blew Your Mind?"
;P

Pretty sure he just wanted to post about this, not a bazillion other anime that will pile over the subject of FLCL.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 05:14:21 am »
I liked the show, the art was fresh and had a good story, but wasn't really "impressed" by it.
I think it's mostly because I don't like Haruko.

I'd still reccomend it though. Even if it has a character I hate, it's only 6 episodes. That makes it easier to get into than say, Bleach or Naruto.
...which I never reccomend.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:24 pm »
;P

Pretty sure he just wanted to post about this, not a bazillion other anime that will pile over the subject of FLCL.
I know, I was just saying (in my own terms) that FLCL is the epitomy of Anime That Blew Our Minds.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 06:22:44 pm »
Loved it the first I saw it... which, I think, was the 5th episode.. ^^; I have never watched it from 1 to 6 in the right order though. Want to someday. Maybe when I have an anime day at my house someday.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:15 pm »
Loved it the first I saw it... which, I think, was the 5th episode.. ^^; I have never watched it from 1 to 6 in the right order though. Want to someday. Maybe when I have an anime day at my house someday.
me, my girlfriend, and hardstylezombie did it.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
me, my girlfriend, and hardstylezombie did it.
i did it way before that day... *starts to think back*.... *strange music starts* ... back when i had a computer.... back before i knew you ... i mean ya a long time ago

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »
I first saw this anime on adult swim YEARS ago believe it or not...loved it from that day on. There is always something so wonderful about telling a story in such an abstact & insane manner...still has to rate as one od my favorite series...just wish it were longer  :(

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:09:04 pm »
I first saw this anime on adult swim YEARS ago believe it or not...loved it from that day on. There is always something so wonderful about telling a story in such an abstact & insane manner...still has to rate as one od my favorite series...just wish it were longer  :(
in all honesty, i think it is the perfect length.
any longer and it would have become bad.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »
I have faith that a creative mind could have made it work. In truth though, we all know that gut pain...the slight sadness if you will...that we all get when something great ends. Like the end of a good RPG, movie saga, anime...and especially vacations & conventions. Well, that feeling applies to this anime for me even though you are right about the length being just perfect for it.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 03:58:26 am »
Then they should at least have a sequel to it, like when Haruko does come back and Naota's older and ready to ride. I went to K-con, entered a cutely dressed sakura haruno plushie into the cuddly cosplay contest, didn't win but qualified for prize swag, then traded said prize swag at the swap meet for a Mamimi doll.

And actually, at the end of good RPGs they always have the annoying but necessary screen saver at the end that forces you after watching all this ending cutscene, to turn the machine off. Pokemon though is an RPG that lets you save after the credits are done.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 05:36:03 am »
I think that FLCL could be good for a sequel. I think that we'd need to see Naota's older brother come back for at least one episode.

I've never heard anyone refer to Pokemon as an rpg.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 10:22:33 am »
I think that FLCL could be good for a sequel. I think that we'd need to see Naota's older brother come back for at least one episode.

I've never heard anyone refer to Pokemon as an rpg.
That would be awsome if they did, I would definately watch it & more than likely enjoy it...its too bad the originals are out of production & its like $15 per episode right now to buy...& I'm being cheap :P

I never figured Pokemon rpg either o.O Disgea: Hour of Darkness however, is an rpg that saves after credits & you can start over with the story but with all your levels & stuff^^

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 10:33:11 am »
i have the entire series in japanese (english subs) and italian (english subs)
on my computer
why can i never find time to watch!!???
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:33:41 am by RoscoeTEHclam »

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:41 pm »
too much love, I give in. I con't do this in 2010 as my cosplays are too many already. but in 2011 I am so cosplaying Mamimi Samejima. I need to get someone to cosplay Nandaba Naota and Haruhara Haruko too at least to hang with or I might not be reconized. But I need to find a 12-15 year old to cosplay Nandaba Naota or someone that looks that young.. I am odd and hate seeing him cosplayed by older men.. unless they are short and look young enough. but would be cute to have a teeny cosplaying him. and the Haruhara Haruko nees to be tall enough.

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
I Remember when I was a little kid and Me and my brother would stay up REALLY late to watch stuff(I don't suggest it.), and this was one of them, But I remember really liking it. I can't remember too much of it...But I was bored one day and watched the first episode again, and I was like... :o I remember these scenes...Course as a little kid you don't pay much attention as to what they're saying or plot. But, maybe one day I'll get to it and rewatch it.
Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »
I love this show. Someday in the distant future I'm going to get a yellow vespa and when I do I'm cosplaying Haruko.

I wouldn't want a sequel for it though. It's short and sweet and perfect how it is. ~

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 11:29:39 pm »
That would be an epic entry to a convention, having a Haruko cosplayer ride in on her vespa and play in a concert there. If someone can play as good as she can drive, and by Haruko I mean crazy and unleashed, then that would be a perfect day and concert night. But to whoever does Haruko, let everyone else headbang, don't try to help them with your guitar. *bwaannnnggggg* too late...
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »
<3 FLCL.

Making your friends watch it all in one sitting and blowing up their minds is awesome.
OMG this.

i have done this several times.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »
The hardest thing for me was watching all the abuse that poor Rickenbacher bass took. Don't you know how hard it is to keep those basses in tune?!?

I loved it. I bought it. Now I wonder if I can find out which box I put it in.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »
THE SHOW WAS PURE WIN!!

Offline leadpoppy

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »
Such a great series. I love the fact that it's only six episodes long. It didnt just keep going on and on, unlike a lot of anime out there.
I've tried to get my boyfriend into FLCL, but he's having none of it. He says it's just too "out there". Haruko has to be my favorite female character in any anime ever simply because she's not some sappy, teary eyed milk toast. She's absolutely insane, and I love it.  ;D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »
Anyone who would do what she does to a Rickenbacher bass should be hung by their toenails!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »
Such a great series. I love the fact that it's only six episodes long. It didnt just keep going on and on, unlike a lot of anime out there.
I've tried to get my boyfriend into FLCL, but he's having none of it. He says it's just too "out there". Haruko has to be my favorite female character in any anime ever simply because she's not some sappy, teary eyed milk toast. She's absolutely insane, and I love it.  ;D
Couldn't help but give you props for that^