Author Topic: 2009 attendance count  (Read 3876 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
2009 attendance count
« on: October 07, 2009, 01:02:32 am »
We have tabulated the 2009 attendance:

Attendees: 4558
Staff: 203

Our attendance represents a small growth from last year. This wasn't as high as expected, partly because we had to cap entry for some time on Saturday, but we're hoping to improve our use of the space next year to allow more people in.

The growth in our staff number is awesome (about 45% over last year) as this allows us to run more events and provide a better experience for attendees.

These numbers are subject to revision if we discover any corrections later but they should be pretty accurate as-is. The history page has our historical numbers back to the first con in 2003.

As stated on our history page, here is what counts for attendance: "Most figures are estimates. Attendance is measured by count of paid attendance or membership purchases at standard attendee rates. Staff, exhibitors, guests, and complimentary badges are not counted. VIP badges are counted. A weekend badge is counted once regardless of how many days the person attended. Non-picked up and non-attending paid pre-registered badges are counted. Multiple single-day badges by a single person are counted at the number of badges purchased. (This last category is typically very low in number.)"
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: 2009 attendance count
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:08:30 am »
didn't we get like 4000 last year?
that is a really small increase...

im very happy about the increase in staff though, that is really cool.

thanks to all of the people that did staff/yojimbo/volunteer, you are automatically awesome IMO

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:15:53 am »
Hello Jeff T. This is Animeman73. I'm not really surprised that you had to cap the increase. The Hilton can only take so many people. I was surprised by the staff increase I heard there was actually a shortage in the youjimbo department. If I'm wrong i apologize. And I know you guys will do your best to make next year even better, i have complete faith in the Kumoricon staff's abilities.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:26 am »
I was originally planning on signing up for staff next year, but I think I might be a VIP instead ^^
but I'll know when its closer to con time!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:39 am »
IMHO, if we had that teensy an increase over the Doubletree, and sooo many attendees and staff were happier at the Doubletree, and we're planning a size cap anyway, couldn't we just find out the hard cap required to go back to the Doubltree and plan for there for 2010, perhaps even for there plus some additional site (like having a showing in a neighboring movie theatre) if such is possible and desirable? I suppose this will be among the options discussed at the Q & A on the 25th?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:00:34 pm »
Only a bit over 4500? Sheesh, that's quite a bit lower than what I expected, and even what I remembered hearing at the convention itself (not that hearing it made it true or anything)
Really, that's not too many when you stop to think about it... Hm. It's not a horrible turn-out, but not too high either. Not what I expected, anyway.
I wonder why? Was it the economy, the location, the weather, having to turn people away, or a mixture of them? I really think all of these factors need to be taken into consideration before planning for the next convention's location, or perhaps the 2011 one if the 2010 location can't by any means be changed...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:01:53 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:09:56 pm »
Only a bit over 4500? Sheesh, that's quite a bit lower than what I expected, and even what I remembered hearing at the convention itself (not that hearing it made it true or anything)
Really, that's not too many when you stop to think about it... Hm. It's not a horrible turn-out, but not too high either. Not what I expected, anyway.
I wonder why? Was it the economy, the location, the weather, having to turn people away, or a mixture of them? I really think all of these factors need to be taken into consideration before planning for the next convention's location, or perhaps the 2011 one if the 2010 location can't by any means be changed...
same thing here, durring con I heard a few higher numbers. I guess it just felt really crowded and full because of the venue?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:09:04 pm »
The original plan was to cap at 6000, which may be why that number was rumored at con once we started cap. But we had to cap much lower.

As discussed in other threads, we have the second year of a two-year contract to fulfill in 2010 at the Hilton Portland. But all options are being considered for 2011.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:42:51 pm »
With nearly the same amount of people going to the last convention, I'm worried about the staff last year.  If we had 2x the staff this year that seems to make sense to me that EVERYONE, not just most the directors and such, were working close to 16hour days or more.  Hopefully next year we can smooth out even more of those numbers across the board so we get sleep AND get to see some panels :)

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »
it is going to be near impossible to predict anything for 2010 or 2011, people didn't like the Hilton is the thing I hear most. Meaning that if we do grow next year it may not be by much, but there also going to be more opportunities for promotions this year that we could take advantage of, which could cause substantial growth. For 2011 a great deal of people may return that could have skipped 2010 because of the hotel issue. May people, however, may be done with Kumoricon entirely. In a nut shell, don't try guessing too much in the way of numbers for 2010 or 2011, of course it has been hard to predict the numbers for K'con since the beginning (or  so I have heard).
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »
poor statistical analysis ftl

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:30:28 pm »
in regards to?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
As I said I have faith you guys will figure it out. If there's one thing this 30 something anime fan has learned is life has a strange way of throwing you proverbial curve balls. In the city of Roses and Oregon that's especially true.

Offline Kalain-san

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:47 pm »
I knew that it wouldn't be as high as expected because of the cap forced upon us on Saturday---but I didn't think it would be that bad. T_T

2008                      2009
Attendees  Staff      Attendees  Staff

4470        140         4558         203

Sure the growth in Staff is wonderful, I agree--but the main thing..the attendees. Less than 100. LESS THAN 100~!!!! The smallest growth ever. T__T This makes me very sad indeed, and is yet another example of how this year things did not go as planned. Rawr. I dearly hope things will be changed next year in many ways so we can have a larger, more functional, and thus, enjoyable convention.   
Even if I knew...I still wouldn't tell you.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:36 pm »
I was originally planning on signing up for staff next year, but I think I might be a VIP instead ^^
but I'll know when its closer to con time!

pst!! can always be vip and a volunteer! had one this last year, maned the dealers hall desk for a bit, and proceeded to ask vallie if girls skirt were too short and offer to measure them every min

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:32:57 am »
Hey Jaz if you and the Kumoricon staff would be up for it I could bring four or even six containers of coffee next year. How about it? It's amazing how economical cofee can be when you buy it from a grocery stoiry eh?

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »
You mean INSTANT coffee? Isn't that the coffee commoners drink?
I've never had THAT before!

(Was a little late on the game in getting into Ouran... gomen!)

Hey, low-er than expected attendance numbers aside, it's no reason to fret!
We just need to amp up the ad-verts for this year, (making sure we have a
planned and perfected cap on reg all planned out) and who knows? Maybe the
fact that K-CON is gonna end up being a LIMITED Ticket event, will HELP sales,
instead of hurt... yah know... supply and demand sort of thing?

I'm glad to see leaps and strides of increase in the staff department, the only
way I'd know how to run a good con (assuming I even knew how to run a bad
one) is with lots and lots of friendly helpful people!

In the end, numbers are just numbers, and we need to remember only two things;
low increase effects our bottom line so it probably wont be feasible to INCREASE
any of our entertainment or pretty much any other budget this year... so we need
to be thrifty (dont we always?) and creative!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 08:21:21 pm »
I think the reason there was a lower than expected increase may be partly due to this recession. Everybody's hurting these day that much is cetain. But I know you'll be thrifty and by the way U.S. West Coast taekwondo is is most definitely interested in coming back next year and we're already coming up with some ideas for next time, some of which involve a little audience participation. I can still bring more coffee if you'd like.

Oh and Allykat XDDDD oh that was good, that line from Ouran was perfect and just priceless!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 11:24:38 pm »
Hey Jaz if you and the Kumoricon staff would be up for it I could bring four or even six containers of coffee next year. How about it? It's amazing how economical cofee can be when you buy it from a grocery stoiry eh?

I know staff are much apreshative of any aid offered to staff from to watching a room or coffee :)
tho if i might make a suggestion instant hot cocoa (i personaly dont drink coffee ;))

once again tho for low count, we were up against PAX this year and while a most atendees would go to one or the other convention there are a some who would go to both and I have heard some say when it comes down to it, PAX comes first

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:45 am »
You got it Jaz for you and the staff instant coffee and instant hot cocoa mix it is. You can definitely take this to the bank.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:52:50 am by Animeman73 »

Offline talkwithtim

• Cabbit
    • Talk with Tim
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 10:15:00 am »

I guess the good thing is that there was an increase in attendance and not a decrease due to the economy. Plus, Kumoricon kind of competes with PAX which is the same weekend (only a little since they're different types of events). So, 4,500+ is pretty good.

Want to see more pictures? Visit: Kumoricon Pictures Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Tim Moon from TalkwithTim.com
Follow me on Twitter here.
Kumoricon Pics