Author Topic: The Unknown Anime Recommendation Thread!  (Read 55796 times)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
The Unknown Anime Recommendation Thread!
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:01 pm »
(Don't see any threads like this so I will give it a shot here as well)

Yes it's time for you to tell us about the anime that people do not seem to know of! Whether it be an unknown anime, or B-list anime or just one that was released under the radar- tell us what it is and why you like it!

Trouble Chocolate-

This anime is about a boy named Cacao who is a student at Micro-grand Academy where he studies magic (against his will), one day while his teacher is TRYING to get Cacao interested in magic by preforming a spell Cacao eats some REALLY old chocolate and it does not agree with him, making him act drunk and inadvertently messing up Professor Ganash's spell. The spell ends up transferring a spirit of a tree into a wooden doll named Hinano and the whacky adventures begin!

Why it is a good anime:

In all honesty Trouble Chocolate is a By-The-Numbers High School Love Comedy but what sets it apart is its magic twist and whacky (cannot believe I used whacky twice) characters. From Cacao who is a slacker with a huge apatite and no love of magic (he believes there is no need for it since technology gives you everything anyways) but when he eats chocolate he goes into his drunken super magic form where he can destroy whole armies with his ability, to Professor Big Bang, a huge Frankenstein like teacher who is effeminate and girly until you make him/her mad and he/she goes into a berzerker rage (gaining an Australian accent in the process.)

Length:

26 episodes if I remember right

Why it is unknown:

As I said it is not a hugely special anime and it is rather old nowadays so I doubt it will ever get very popular.

Why you should buy it:

CHEAP! http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Chocolate-Vol-Artist-Provided/dp/B00006JMSD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254289381&sr=8-1 That's right, you can buy the first DVD for three dollars plus shipping BRAND NEW! I was able to get the whole series for under 20 bucks and I consider it money well spent.

Criticisms/Notes/Etc.:

The dub is not horrible (well for me anyways) but there is a very interesting thing about it- IT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE SUBS! That is right, if you watch it dubbed then watched it subbed you will get two almost totally different storylines, I have no idea which think tank decided to create their own story but my guess was this anime was sold to the lowest bidder and they did not have proper dubbing software to match the lip flaps with the lines.

tl;dr version-

if you don't mind simple anime plots with odd twists for cheap then get Trouble Chocolate, it's worth your time.

OK everyone thats my anime for the day, you do not have to be as detailed as me just go ahead and post up an unknown or not so popular anime and why you think it's worth a shot.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: The Unknown Anime Recommendation Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:27 am »
i will totally do this.

Not really super unknown, but could use some more recognition.

Claymore:
The story of a half woman-half monster creature, and her life fighting demons called yoma.
Deeper in, you find that she is a part of an organization of these half breeds, who all hunt for these demons.

why is it good?
It has a great story, which can really catch you. It goes through many genre's and is just full of content.

length: 26 episodes.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:01:59 pm »
Okay an anime I can think of that's unknown but at least fairly good is,

Tokko:
Ronmaru Shindou and his sister are two survivors of insidious slaughter that took place at their apartment complex years ago. Ronmaru in his search for vengeance will discover truths involving a secrative police unit known as Tokko, snd the hideous demonic fiends they battle called Phantoms.

Why was it good?
It's got great intrigues, pretty well rounded characters, and if you're into that kind of thing action packed sword wielding bloody horror action.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:33:16 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:35:21 pm »
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu

Why it's good: Very funny.  Very random.  Lots of physical humor.  Has its cute "aww" and sad moments, too.

Why it's bad: If you don't like anime with lots of random stuff, you probably wouldn't enjoy it. ^_^;

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Azzy-Chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:14 pm »
El Cazador de la Bruja-
The story is about this little girl who has amnesia, supernatural powers, and a very troubled past who meets up with this feisty bounty hunter. They end up traveling together to find out about the girl's past. The only thing they have to go by is a stone that a fortune teller gave the young girl, and her notion to go South.

Goods- It's the third installment to Bee Train's "girls-with-guns" trilogy (i.e. Noir), and it is very fun (Taco song!). Plus it adds in that desert-Latin flair which you don't see in anime usually.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »
It's probably not too unknown, though I don't hear much about it anymore (I used to, not so much anymore)... I think people have kind of forgotten about this one, or maybe the fan base has died down or something. But... "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku" is a good one.
I have to admit, the first episode was pretty slow and when I watched it I wasn't too sure if I was going to like it or not, but than I watched the second and third episodes and I thought it really started to pick up more, and I enjoyed it more.

There's an OVA series, a regular TV series, and the "DASH!" season (though there may be others, that's all I've seen so far). And even better, now they're even out together in one boxset if someone is interested in picking it up.

Anyhow, it's about an android with a cat's brain, basically, and she's supposed to protect this young boy from his crazy mother-- though often she has to protect him both from the mother and his equally crazy father.
Admittedly, I haven't seen the entire series yet, and I'm still working my way through it... Honestly I don't know why it's taken me so long to sit down and watch it; but so far so good.

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:23:36 pm »
I'm too lazy to do synops for all of these but here are my favorites (MOST OF THEM ARE UNKNOWN SO IT'S COOL)

Baccano!- 13 eps
Boogiepop Phantom (I'm actually surprised that not a lot of people have watched this- 13 eps
Requiem from the Darkness- 25 eps
Tokyo Marble Chocolate- 3 eps

That's all I can think of right now.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »
i will totally do this.

Not really super unknown, but could use some more recognition.

Claymore:
The story of a half woman-half monster creature, and her life fighting demons called yoma.
Deeper in, you find that she is a part of an organization of these half breeds, who all hunt for these demons.

why is it good?
It has a great story, which can really catch you. It goes through many genre's and is just full of content.

length: 26 episodes.

I don't know if we're allowed to do this, but I second that.

Barns & Nobel only has volumes 1-3 before skipping to ten lakjfblkawjbvan. D<
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:25:50 pm »
I NEVER NEW THIS THREAD WAS HERE!

This just came out...Like the first ep just came out in Japan...

If you like Magic and spells..Old time based like with villages..YOU WILL LOVE THIS ANIME!!

Tatakau Shisho The book of bantorra

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »
I can't tell if Double Arts is popular or not--half the people I've asked know of it, the other half doesn't soooooo. Double Arts.

Pros: Amazing plot, and good style. The character's design and personality is interesting. The plot moves along well UNTIL...

Cons: Funding fails! Only thirty-six-or-so chapters, and the manga is only halfway done.

Also, Alive is pretty good. Lots of suicide and disease. I've only read volume one, but I enjoyed it.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:27 pm »
this thread got suddenly popular? yay

Ok another one, much shorter this time-

Midori Days:

Basic plot: High school Badass extraordinaire Seiji "Mad Dog" Sawamura is the best fighter in town, too bad his awesome fighting skills make everyone scared of him- including girls which make him a very single man. One day he yells out "I just wish I had a girlfriend!" and BAM! suddenly replacing his right hand appears a tiny girl named Midori who says she has always admired Seiji from afar but could never tell him how she felt. How will Seiji cope with this situation? From being unable to use his Demon Right Hand to win fights anymore, to hiding Midori from everyone he knows, and what about Midori's body?....

Why it's good: It is a well written High School Love Comedy (...I'm only recommending those types of shows...) with a great twist and very nice cast of characters. It is also the same as Trouble Chocolate in the price range too (You can buy the box set for about 30 bucks used and 50 new)

Why it is unknown: I honestly have no idea really...check it out though.

Length: I am pretty sure it is 26 episodes and it is also a manga for your reading pleasure.

WARNING Some nudity in the show, all comedy based but they do not censor anything here!

Also I'm not sure if I can say this but: All the episodes are on YouTube for you cheap people.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:57:21 pm by Mr Silmero »

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:33:25 am »
Hmmm...  I have a lot of shows that may fall in this category.

An older show that was popular for a short time is Scrapped Princess.  If you like shows like Full Metal Alchemist and Chrono Crusade, then this show is for you.  Pacifica Cassul is one of a set of paternal twins born to the king and queen.  A prophecy states that she will bring destruction to the world when she turns sixteen.  Her father orders her killed before she is even given a name.  She is thrown off a cliff and presumed dead.  A passing mage sees the child falling and saves her with a spell then gives the child to the Cassul family to care for.  But the king finds out she isn't dead, and the search for her begins. Is there any chance of her surviving when everyone she meets wants to kill her?  Can her adoptive brother and sister protect their little sister?  How is she supposed to destroy the world anyway?  Watch and find out.

Mahoraba: Heartful Days is a fun comedy about a young art student who goes to stay in his aunts apartment complex.  His cousin is the manager and has a small problem.  It seems that if she is startled she has a personality change, and not just one, but five!  There are also some really strange occupants in the other apartments.  Let the fun begin!

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs With a title like that I wonder why nobody has ever heard of this one.   ;D  This is another comedy, and for those who are enjoying Kampfer right now, you may want to check this one out.  It is about a recent college grad who wants to be a PE teacher.  He finds out that the school nearby has an opening and applies, but is turned down because the principal hates men, and will only hire female teachers.  Desperate for a job to pay his rent, he is assisted by his landlady (I think she must have had an interesting past given all the interesting gadgets she has in her basement) he dresses as a woman and wears a special choker to alter his voice.  He reapplies for the job and gets it!  Then the fun begins.

Look for all three of these shows.  I am sure you won't be dissapointed with any of them.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

oslapedo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »
Kanon 2006 - 26 episodes
It's moe and stuff.

Case Closed - Infinity amount of episodes
Those mysteries are just so enthralling.

Uh, and here's an unknown manga just for the heck of it.

Bakuman - 59+ chapters
I looove it. Funny and suspenseful and blah, blah, blah. Read it b

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »
idk if this has gotten more popular, but Speed Grapher.

Why it is a good anime:
Great, lovable main characters. It has awesome actions scenes, too. Sometimes they use screwing with physics kind of things, and it makes it awesome. Also, it has quite a tidy story line, so it never really ceases to be cool and is never boring. Lots of weirdo characters to be disgusted with, and the questions are always flying.

Storyline is that a guy ends up being kissed by this woman who can grant powers, in front of all these men who want the power, but you have to be chosen, so he ends up being chosen and getting the power of 'flash' photography. (aka things he takes pictures of go BOOM) So he ends up trying to save her and stuff.

Length:  24 BA Episodes

Why it is unknown: Heck if I know, really. It's probably because it's too for people's minds and blows up anybody who watched it.

Why you should buy it:
It's pretty cheap, if you know where to look.

Criticisms/Notes/Etc.:
It has one random intercourse scene, which I found funny, but yeah. And it also has to do with a weird relationship between a man and a kid. Most of all, though, there are some pretty screwed up stuff, so if you like fluffy ponies-pooping-on-rainbows kind of thing, this ain't for you.

tl;dr version-

Photographer gets mad skills and saves a lady from perverts!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:03:36 pm by CatchxMe »

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:36:34 am »
Here's another one... I love the series, but I never see anyone here in the states talking about it very much. "Kyo Kara Maoh!"

It's about a boy who saves someone from being bullied but in turn the bullies turn on him. Somehow he actually gets flushed down the toilet and ends up in another world-- a world of magic. He finds out that he's the demon king and now must lead his people in a coming war. He also accidentally proposes to a boy in his guard squad (in this world slapping someone means you are proposing to them, and picking up a salad fork that someone has dropped means you have accepted their challenge to a duel).
It's a funny series with lots of laughs, but also does have a good plot to it, and there's love twists and the whole shabang. I recommend it!

So far there are three seasons out in Japan, but last I heard they're not planning to release a fourth (which, last I heard, there's a petition going around in Japan to try to get the series back up, but I don't know how true that is). Two seasons are out in the US, but I don't think there's much hope that the third season will be released here, unfortunately. :(

This Year's Cosplay:

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 06:39:53 pm »
Umm...Night Wizard

I thought it was an amazing anime magic, magic guns, really big plot twists, it's pretty (I think), a bit of comedy, a bit of romance, fighting....swords...all that fun stuff. I love it..and since I'm lazy..wiki...

Night Wizard. A term given to those whose mission it is to protect the world from impending darkness. Renji Hiiragi is one such Night Wizard, who is constantly called on missions, even though all he wants is to be able to go to school and graduate. However, his latest order was to protect Elis Shiho, who is a new transfer student at his academy. Being dragged into the Astronomy Club by Renji's childhood friend, Kureha Akabane on her first day at school, Elis soon realizes that she too, has the power to become a night wizard, after retrieving the Jewel of Affection. Along with Renji and Kureha, Elis now begins her fight and her new life, as a Night Wizard, both to collect the six other Jewels and to protect the world from eternal darkness.

WATCH IT NOW!
(video) it doesn't give away much..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ7B015MqQ4&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:40:20 pm by Kallika »

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 01:01:54 pm »
Best anime this season: Trapeze
Irabu Ichiro is a psychiatrist who lives in a colorful alternate version of Tokyo. Patients would visit him to have a counseling on their problems. However each of the patients feel perplex about Ichiro's behavior. Ichiro wears a bear head mask & is able to change change his appearance from an adult to a kid. Despite Ichiro's zealous attitude, he does succeed in helping out each of the patients who come to his office.

It's amazing! By the people who did Mononoke. The art direction is superb and I love the story telling. It's a little weird but if you are a general "interesting animation" junkie like myself, you'll get a kick out of it.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 10:02:53 pm »
Jin Roh, the Wolf Brigade. It's a film about a cop, who isn't the man he used to be. And his life and times. He may have been the model for the big guy in Pumpkin Scissors, which I think is a better anime than the name implies. Anyway back to Jin Roh. I liked it because the animation was top-notch, the story was more or less plausible. It's hard for me to say any anime is fully plausible, because it's not a documentary! I'm just that way. Anyway, the "hero" develops in a humanly manner throughout, he becomes something, as opposed to he is who he is, and life throws him curve balls. LIfe is life, but he does the curving.

Pumpkin Scissors, it has a lot of heart for a military fiction series. The characters were either developing, or at least were explored somewhat as to why they are who they are. It is a show that tries to show the "wheels within wheels" that are behind every conspiracy theorists dream/nightmare. I don't know if the distrubting company went under before it finished, or what. I'd look up Netflix, but I can't now. Long story.

Master Keaton. Like Conan the Detective, but not trying to be a wildly popular hit. But trying to be a very good detective. I learned a few things, but am just not sure if they are true or not. LIke the story about the tengu who teach the locals to make whiskey, and basically how Japan has Suntory. Or something like this. I bought it, but only watched the series one time. This is one show you should take in smallish bites, so as not to burn out.

Gasuraki. Where else can you learn about Noh theater and dance, and get your mecha fix too? I liked this for the cultural aspect. Maybe by having the mecha in there it filled the past as prologue model of storytelling for me.

Zippang. WWII revisited a la time warps. Very heavy on the ethical dilemmas caused by travelling through time to a war that Japan lost. Really cool. Made me think a lot. Makes me glad I don't have to make those sorts of decisions.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:31 am »
Requiem from the Darkness, screwed up in many ways and deals with the horror side of Japan. Another one is Rumbling Hearts (Kimi Ga Nozu Ein) saddest anime I've ever seen, it will have you crying by the second episode (it at least had me crying by then)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Urasei Yatsura. It's 100 discs long. Will take about 4 months at 8 at a time Netflix to go through them, at a minimum. It was a very popular series in the 1980s. It also had 5 movies. I think it really hits it's stride about episode 24, which I remember having me ROFL! It stayed very good until about episode 70-ish. Then it just was trying to keep milking a dry cow. Like most series that lose their writers and are in it only for the money.

But what I liked was how much information I got from watching this series about daily life in Japan. It wasn't necessarily the major theme, but was part and parcel of what the show was about. The differences between an UFO type alien, and everyday (mainichi) Japan. How the cultures contrast and conflict.

Bonus, the Japanese VA had an accent like a Japanese speaking Eva Gabor from Green Acres! "Dahlink!"

I <3 Lum!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 09:19:20 pm »
All I have to say is that you guys need to watch Tatakau Shisho, The Book of Bantorra.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 01:13:31 am »

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 02:27:15 am »
need
Just who do you think you are?

Don't you know who the %$* I Am!? I'm the Juggernaut!

ok wow I think I just went back in time by about three or so years.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:04 am »
need
Just who do you think you are?

Don't you know who the %$* I Am!? I'm the Juggernaut!

ok wow I think I just went back in time by about three or so years.
yes, yes you did.
i appreciate the reference.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »
Eight Clouds Rising, is a good little two part OVA. Looks to be done by the same people who did Master Keaton. Too short is my only gripe.
Have Fun

Jay

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »
I'm watching Clannad right now and it's sooo good. Yeah, it's a moeblob show but the girls don't throw themselves at the main guy, there's really only one romance in it. It's sweet, funny, sad, and totally awesome.

Watch it, yo.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
Noein
Noein original aired in English on Sci-fi, just like Tokko. The show is about a young girl, Haruka, who watches the world around her suddenly transform into a hellish otherworld, where strange blue snow rains. Strange people in black cloaks seem to be appearing and interfering with her life, calling her the Dragon Torque. The show quickly turns into a bizzare and enthralling adventure where dimensions are colliding, and a strange soul from the future, known as Noein, aims to create a perfect world, Shangri-La, through erasure.
There is a lot of character development, and the artwork is insane. The battle scenes are some of the best, and there is no certainty throughout the show. It runs about 24 episodes, and is not running anymore. I highly suggest this anime, it's one of my favorites.

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »
Noein
Noein original aired in English on Sci-fi, just like Tokko. The show is about a young girl, Haruka, who watches the world around her suddenly transform into a hellish otherworld, where strange blue snow rains. Strange people in black cloaks seem to be appearing and interfering with her life, calling her the Dragon Torque. The show quickly turns into a bizzare and enthralling adventure where dimensions are colliding, and a strange soul from the future, known as Noein, aims to create a perfect world, Shangri-La, through erasure.
There is a lot of character development, and the artwork is insane. The battle scenes are some of the best, and there is no certainty throughout the show. It runs about 24 episodes, and is not running anymore. I highly suggest this anime, it's one of my favorites.

I liked that series. I've wanted to go visit Hakodate ever since. Go up on that hill that looks over the town.

On another note, Banner of the Stars has a new OVA out, in Japan, and where the forum people don't want us to talk about. he he he.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »
Also Elfen Lied. Look it up.

Save Caprica!!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 01:25:23 am »
My recommendation: "Mononoke" (not "Princess Mononoke")

What it's about: The main character, a Medicine Seller (Kusuriuri), goes around exorcising demons. It's set in the Edo era so all the demons are of Japanese influence.

Why you should watch it: Everything is visually amazing. Practically each scene can be framed and put on a wall. It's definitely out there when it comes to the art, but if you like artists like Klimt, you'll love this. Even if you have an interest in traditional Japanese horror, check it out. If nothing else, the Kusuriuri's got an amazing transformation sequence when he draws his sword.

What might be bad: Once again, the style is a little weird. The Kusuriuri really doesn't say much, either. He's very mysterious.

I loved this series so much I cosplayed the Kusuriuri last year.
All episodes are available to watch on veoh.com. It's really not a long series.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 09:53:40 am »
^I have heard of it. Sounds interesting but I have to finish watching Baccano first.

Save Caprica!!

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 10:20:26 am »
To you who reccomended Noein, I applaud you. I love that series, but it seems like almost no one else does.

ANYWAYS

HEAT GUY J

I can't really say exactly why I like this one. It could be the delightfully psychotic antagonist. It could also be the main character, who despite being and all around decent guy, and wanting to help people, doesn't seem like a stereotype. Maybe it's the titular character, who just defies any description that I can think of, but he's an android, and most of his fight scenes are accompanied by bagpipes, which is way cooler than it sounds. Don't even get me started on most of the other characters, we might be here all day.

Why should you buy it?
LOOK AT HOW FREAKING CHEAP IT IS, IF YOU DECIDE TO BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE!

Why some people might not like it

It's at it's heart, a cop sort of story. Cop stories have never been popular genres of anime and manga (Except for FAKE, but that has guys making out, so the popularity is obvious.) Also, some people might be turned off by the art style. Friends of mine have refused to watch it because they didn't like the art. It looks a lot like Escaflowne's art, if that gives you an idea.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
Genshiken

Its an anime about Otakus, 12-13 episodes. And there is an anime -Kujibiki Unbalanced- in the anime 'Genshiken' that became a spinoff anime, which wasn't so good. That was a confusing sentence sorry, but the Genshiken, revolves around each aspect of the normal otaku and the quest to turn an anti-otaku into Otaku. Kujibiki Unbalanced Ova (aka episodes 1,21,25-these were actually good-) Yeah. . .I suck at summaries.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:12 pm »
Well don't forget Genshiken 2! And I think there is a 3, but I am not sure what's what, I just ssaw a new disc on Netflix, and just clicked on it.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 10:36:10 am »
I thought I would add a couple more:

Ginban Kaleidoscope - This is a short anime about a Japanese Ice skater who loses sight of what it was that made her enjoy ice skating, and the ghost of a Canadian air show stunt pilot that ends up co-existing in her body for awhile.  Although the whole idea is strange the show itself is actually very endearing and at times quite humorous.  Her efforts to exorcise the ghost from herself are just to funny for words. (12 eps)

Skip Beat! - What do you do when you catch the lazy male idol you have been slaving away to help feed and support, cheating on you?  Why you declare that you will become more famous than they are of course!  This is a comedy that should be in everyone's collection. (25 eps)
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 10:50:06 am »
My recommendation: "Mononoke" (not "Princess Mononoke")

What it's about: The main character, a Medicine Seller (Kusuriuri), goes around exorcising demons. It's set in the Edo era so all the demons are of Japanese influence.

Why you should watch it: Everything is visually amazing. Practically each scene can be framed and put on a wall. It's definitely out there when it comes to the art, but if you like artists like Klimt, you'll love this. Even if you have an interest in traditional Japanese horror, check it out. If nothing else, the Kusuriuri's got an amazing transformation sequence when he draws his sword.

What might be bad: Once again, the style is a little weird. The Kusuriuri really doesn't say much, either. He's very mysterious.

I loved this series so much I cosplayed the Kusuriuri last year.
All episodes are available to watch on veoh.com. It's really not a long series.
I watched one episode and I really enjoyed it. I believe you can find it on youtube.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »
Pumpkin Scissors: It's a look at what happens AFTER all the wars, a look at corruption, and at some of the frequent human stereotypes. It's very much a military-style anime, but it has many different civilians with differing opinions to round things out. It's specifically about a team of 6 people and 1 dog who make up the war relief unit.
Why it's good: Different perspective on humanity, boundaries, classes, and all that jazz. It's got a good bit of humor as well. There's a girl with a BFS as well. There's a guy who cries manly tears and feeds kittens when he's not going all Anti-tank on everyone.
Why you wouldn't like it: There are a few tropes that could go as overused in there. (Things usually switch up though.)
Why it's not exactly popular: Your guess is as good as mine, it hasn't been dubbed maybe? This show needs more love in any case!
24 episodes by the way.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:12:30 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:02 am »
∀Gundam (Turn A Gundam)... Dang it, I just love that series. One of the best Gundam series ever made (right behind the original "Mobile Suit Gundam"). It's kind of old-world, kind of steampunk, yet still futuristic. Years ago some force destroyed all technology around the world and since than the human race has been rebuilding.

The series primarily focuses on the character Loran Cehack, a soldier from the moon race who is sent to Earth on a recon mission for the moon race's later massive migration back to earth, which was planned 100 years ago.
The Earthlings feel that the moon race is trying to force their way in and take their land, so the Earthlings fight back and a war breaks out. The Earthlings, however, are vastly outmatched by the moon race's advanced mobile suits (while the Earthlings only have primitive mobile suits, mostly used for farming, sports and other such things).
Loran befriends some Earthlings and begins to help them in the war, while attempting to keep the peace with the moon race (which doesn't work out very well). The ∀Gundam is revealed when a statue crumbles that the ancient mobile suit is hidden inside of, called the White Doll, and Loran uses it in an effort to protect those he cares about.

It's a bit more lighthearted than other Gundam series, but it's a superb series nonetheless. I only wish they'd give it an English dub and release it in the US so I'd have an easier time watching it rather than on my computer... Which I hate watching anime on. :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:13:08 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »
It's unknown now, but five years ago it was hot stuff. Haibanei Renmei. Watch it if you like sad stories. BUt, saying that, it was a very well done anime. I enjoyed watching it.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:03 am »
Also done by the same guy who did Serial Experiments Lain

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »
Mushishi, I don't ever hear people talking about it. . .and its sorta calm and down low. Not much action and it really makes you think some; like holding your wrists to your ears and listening to your muscles mimic the sound of flowing lava.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »
Master Keaton, a detective anime series. Episodic as opposed to serial. Good, informative, bit of spy action at times.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. Yes, everyone should have an older sister who's a cat robot hybrid! lol

Saber Marionette J was good too. Even is she made me think of Olive Oyl.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 01:18:44 am »
UPDATE:

The first series I recommended "Trouble Chocolate?"

http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Chocolate-Vol-Artist-Provided/dp/B00006JMSD/ref=pd_cp_d_1

Yeah- you can now buy each DVD set for under a dollar.

Offline CherryFrog

• Cabbit
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »
Detective Academy Q: The Dan Detective School is a Japanese detective school permitted by the government. Kyu, an ordinary boy with big dreams to become detective, attends the school as a member of Q Class along with Megu, the girl with photographic memory; Kazuma, the computer genius kid; Kinta, the strong; and the mysterious Ryu. Together they solve many cases which bring them to face Pluto, the crime organization which should have been destroyed by Dan Morihiko.

I actually found this anime by accident the summer going into Senior year. . . And later found that there was also a Japanese Drama. You really have to think to figure out who is the culprit in each episode. Which makes me pleased because something that makes you think is absolutely worth watching. :D

There are 45 episodes to this series for the anime and there are 11 episodes to the Japanese Drama titled, "Tantei Gakuen Q", which is Detective Academy Q. :P

It's worth it to watch! ^__^ I was obsessed with this anime and finished it within a week or less. :D The drama I think I watched in one night. xD

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »
It's an anime for mature audiences so watch it at your own risk. There's no sex in it and you don't see anything bad but there are some major innuendos or sounds to signify some things and yeah...

It's Desert Punk!

In the future, Japan is a wasteland. In the Great Kanto Desert, scattered humans eke out a living in the hot sand. Among them, a short-statured man they call "Sunabozu" (Desert Punk) makes a living as a bounty hunter. Like a demon of the sand, he seems unbeatable. Yet, like all men, he has a particular weakness for the opposite sex...
Objectionable content: Intense (graphic depictions of sex [Not really but whatever...], drug use, or bloodshed)

It's 24 episodes long but good luck finding the English dub. I could only find the first four in English and watched the rest in subs.

But yeah, my older brother showed it to me and it's pretty good.
Just be careful if young children are in the vicinity because of some fowl language and obscene gestures. We don't need them learning any of that stuff. :P

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »

Psychic Force!

An OVA of two episodes, based off a video game made by Taito, I own this and have watched it at least over twenty times. I love the entire thing- and I'm not even a giant anime fan. It's pure gold. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFqo43i19g

~Fwennnndsss fworevah~

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 12:00:50 pm »
Today in Class 5-2 - Its super cute >w<

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:53 pm »
I can't believe a woman is suggesting Desert Punk. But maybe I am just too worried over excessive "Boing."

Did you rent from Netflix? That's how I saw it.

I'll just make a plug for Vandread here. And no you can't borrow my discs.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »
D8 What's wrong with Desert Punk?
I really liked it...

And no, I watched it on www4.funimation.com

And another good series is Kikaider...
I was sad when they took it off the air. ):

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »
I dunno if the manga has be made into an anime yet but i just started reading it and its really good.  Its called Itazura Na Kiss. Its all about this girl who falls for a really smart guy and how she goes through her life trying to get him to love her.