Poll

ARE YOU AS PUMPED AS I AM?!

YESSS!
2 (16.7%)
I look forward to playing this, but I haven't played Odin Sphere or anything...
3 (25%)
Yes, I'm a fan of the company.
0 (0%)
No, I hate fighting games.
0 (0%)
What's Muramasa?  Do I get gold from voting?
7 (58.3%)
I was, but then I found out Ignition is localizing it...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Muramasa!  (Read 9041 times)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Muramasa!
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »
MURAMASA FOR THE WII, man.  Apparently preording from gamestop results in a gorgeous wall scroll so even though this is coming out like, a day before my birthday, I'm preording it a month in advance just to make sure I get that scroll...

Uhh, anyways, Muramasa: The Demon Blade!

stealing images is fun

Made by Vanillaware, the company that brought you Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire, Muramasa is a side-scrolling fighting game set in Japan ("The game takes place during the Genroku era at the time of shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi on Honshū, the main island of Japan." says Wikipedia) in which you control either Kisuke (a male ninja...who has amnesia!) or Momohime (a princess...who was possessed by demons!).  Both wield swords and there are a total of 108 you can collect over the course of the game.  For those of you not familiar with Vanillaware's previous games, Muramasa is similar graphically to Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire with hand-drawn 2D art.  It's scheduled to come out sometime in September this year (I've heard both the 8th and the 28th, so if you're interested go TO YOUR LOCAL GAMESTOP OR GAME STORE OF CHOICE TODAY!).

...anyone, feel free to correct me on any mistakes here.  I'm going off of memory and wikipedia, and in my defense it's currently very late where I am in the world.
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
Re: Muramasa!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »
This is probably my most anticipated game of the year so far! I've been telling everyone about this!

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:56 am »
Really wish it was being put on anything other then Wii.  Would totally be awesome in HD.
Team Koga

Offline kobansora

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:17:14 am »
I saw it before and I was like, "Sweet!" Saw that it was for the Wii, and I went on with my life.
Anybody want a yoyo? Just send me a message and we'll talk!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »
Really wish it was being put on anything other then Wii.  Would totally be awesome in HD.

according to rumors on gamefaqs, it looks like they've "been considering" porting this to the ps3, though I wouldn't hold my breath on it.  And I don't mean this in a condescending way, but for hand drawn graphics, is HD really that important?  I mean for like...3D totally computer graphics I can see why you'd say that but...yeah.

edit: woah, I didn't get a screen cap, but I posted this at 3:33 and I had been logged in for 3 days, 3 hours, and 33 minutes. 

...trippy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:35:59 pm by Serika »
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline kobansora

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:50 am »

according to rumors on gamefaqs, it looks like they've "been considering" porting this to the ps3, though I wouldn't hold my breath on it.  And I don't mean this in a condescending way, but for hand drawn graphics, is HD really that important?  I mean for like...3D totally computer graphics I can see why you'd say that but...yeah.

edit: woah, I didn't get a screen cap, but I posted this at 3:33 and I had been logged in for 3 days, 3 hours, and 33 minutes. 

...trippy.

You don't know what HD until you get a giant TV and you can see every detail drawin into the character. Come back when you can afford it.
Anybody want a yoyo? Just send me a message and we'll talk!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:58:25 am »
...Okay, I have one already, thank you?  was that really necessary?

I played GrimGrimoire on it and everything, and the graphics never bothered me.  Yes, you can see some stray pixels that are a little annoying but it takes all of about 3 minutes to get used to them.  Also sitting more than two feet away from the TV can help.

Anyways, we're discussing Muramasa, here not TV picture quality. 
There's been some criticism saying the plot has "no climax" and I know a gamefaqs member was irritated that it's "completely button mashing." (their words, not mine.)  Maybe I don't play enough fighting games, but it seems a little odd to go into a game that seems fairly clearly targetted at an audience that only wants pretty, hand-drawn graphics and simple controls and be irritated by the lack of an in-depth plot.  I'll say this now, if you're looking for anything other than what this game offers, you're not going to like it anyways and complaining about it here probably won't get you anywhere. 

I'm interested to see another game based on Japanese mythology (...or well, any mythology for that matter but MURAMASAAA) and while I try to steer away from games that will attract a cult otaku following, this one is just too much to pass up.  Just seeing the screenshots based on the woodblock print of the wave drew me in completely. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline Salehthesage

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:19 pm »
I'm trying to look for some videos, but Gametrailers won't load.

*clicks over and over*

Sounds good though. Odin Sphere was okay, so I guess I can look forward to another game.

-goes to beat mission 1 of Odin Sphere-

EDIT: Found a video. Looks really good. I think it looks better than Odin Sphere in that the battling isn't as slow.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:23:16 pm by Salehthesage »
KUMORICON 2011 COSPLAYS

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
Making Muramasa HD wouldn't actaully be too much of a stretch, the game is actually being scaled down for the Wii.  I guess my reall complaint isn't soo much that its not being made to its HD potential, but that its only appearing on Wii. I hate the wii and just about everything it stands for.
*cough* casual gamers *cough*
Don't get me wrong, I dont hate Nintendo or games aimed at kids. What I do hate is seeing games that I would enjoy playing, made Wii Exclusive only to be watered down and ruined by the gimmicky Wii controls. 
*cough* Fatal Frame Wii, controls made it virtually unplayable *cough*
I've never limited myself to any one console, so if Nintendo starts putting out more games that I want to play, I'll eventually buy their system again.
Other then that, the game looks sweet and I'll probably end up playing it at a friends house.
Team Koga

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:40:50 pm »
Looks interesting.
plus I have never heard of this serious till now

China bound!!!

Offline EggytheGreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 03:10:03 pm »
wii only *sad**sad*

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 01:54:58 am »
I was doing some reading on this game and it's sadly yet another wii masher.

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:16:06 am »
What do you mean?
The game looks beautiful, the battles look like they're worth playing, and you can use the GC controller. It doesn't look like it'll hurt the Wii's reputation at all...

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »
What do you mean?
The game looks beautiful, the battles look like they're worth playing, and you can use the GC controller. It doesn't look like it'll hurt the Wii's reputation at all...
Exactly as I said. It's a mindless button masher mostly devoid of any strategy, and that does hurt the wii's reputation further because mashers are the majority of wii games. At wii launch I was really hoping Nintendo wouldn't make another DS, but that's basically what they've done with the wii, and developers are focused more on "innovative" gimmicks instead of actually making the game work.  Nintendo requires you to be able to use the wiimote in the game (which is understandable due to the wiimote being the system's basic peripheral, but isn't that a bad choice in itself?), and more development time is spent towards the wiimote gimmick than on other facets of the game. Twilight Princess is a great example of this. It's visually EXACTLY the same as the GC version, just with strange controls. The saving grace of the Wii is the ability to use other controllers on some games, but as to why you should need to spend money to buy the system's best peripheral (with a traditional interface both developers and gamers can handle) I have no clue.
Anyway, Murasama doesn't help me break any of the (rational) conceptions that people have of the wii, and it's another game that has an interesting concept, but falls prey to the curse of developing for modern Nintendo.
Another point that I should examine is that the PS3 version won't look that impressive unless they redo the art in 720 / 1080p, but the wii is only 480.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:53 pm »
Nintendo is not for hardcore gamers in anyway at all and never will. nintendo aims for casual gamers which is the bigger population.
The wii has sold over 50 million systems as where the Ps3 and Xbox 360 (being great systems) have to combined to even equal to the sales of the wii. so really i think the wii is great even though it does not have the great games and graphics it is still a system to be reconed with

China bound!!!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 04:14:31 pm »
Well, personally I can't handle TRPG's or turn-based systems ALL the time. I like some real time gameplay like Okami or Tales games once in a while (don't tell me you've never just hit one button repeatedly to get out of some battles occasionally.)
And by beautiful, I mean the 2D graphics/anime look. The resolution doesn't catch my attention as much as the motion or colors or design of the game. I think Legend of Mana on the PS1 looks beautiful. Super Mario World on the SNES looks beautiful!
Nintendo requires you to be able to use the wiimote in the game (which is understandable due to the wiimote being the system's basic peripheral, but isn't that a bad choice in itself?), and more development time is spent towards the wiimote gimmick than on other facets of the game.
I don't know what you're talking about here, though. They said you can use the preferable controllers, and the wiimote could be used as a last resort.
I have all three next gen systems, and I have to say that good Wii games - especially RPGs - are very few. And naturally, there are going to be people who bash ANY type of game, mainly because they're not a fan of the genre in the first place, or they are biased against the system from the beginning for no reason (or not a very good one). But come on! Neither you nor anyone else has even played the game yet! What would you say if the game ended up getting as much attention as Final Fantasy? Cosplays, spin-offs, animated movie, game sequels, action figures, Jelly Belly Muramasa flavored.....
Would you even consider trying out the game, or just keep talking trash about it and the Wii?

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »
Well, personally I can't handle TRPG's or turn-based systems ALL the time. I like some real time gameplay like Okami or Tales games once in a while (don't tell me you've never just hit one button repeatedly to get out of some battles occasionally.)
And by beautiful, I mean the 2D graphics/anime look. The resolution doesn't catch my attention as much as the motion or colors or design of the game. I think Legend of Mana on the PS1 looks beautiful. Super Mario World on the SNES looks beautiful!
 I actually hate RPG's for the record. I think visual novels are better format because you get story without grinding artificially making the game longer. Who enjoys random battles / any battles in RPG's? So no, I can't handle RPG's either.
Next point. The Wii doesn't cater to an audience that demands a high resolution experience. That's fine. The PS3 audience expects at least 720p (I can't think of a single PS3 game that is not at least 720p), not upscaled. Keep in mind I never actually said the game looked bad visually, so be a bit more careful about making assumptions on what I'm saying. Art Style =/= Resolution
I don't know what you're talking about here, though. They said you can use the preferable controllers, and the wiimote could be used as a last resort.
I have all three next gen systems, and I have to say that good Wii games - especially RPGs - are very few. And naturally, there are going to be people who bash ANY type of game, mainly because they're not a fan of the genre in the first place, or they are biased against the system from the beginning for no reason (or not a very good one). But come on! Neither you nor anyone else has even played the game yet! What would you say if the game ended up getting as much attention as Final Fantasy? Cosplays, spin-offs, animated movie, game sequels, action figures, Jelly Belly Muramasa flavored.....
Would you even consider trying out the game, or just keep talking trash about it and the Wii?
Yes, you have the choice to use whatever controller you want. I never said you didn't. I said that developers still have to waste time developing a control scheme for the wiimote because they are REQUIRED to have compatibility with all controllers. I actually don't care if it's as popular as Final Fantasy, because asides from owning the Wonderswan versions of I, II and IV (which I picked up as diversions for riding the train while I was in Japan) I don't own any of the others. You're making a lot of assumptions about me here. I'd try the game if someone would lend it / a wii to me, but the news I've gathered from both friends who own the game and reviews on the net are saying it's pretty mindless mashing.  It's discouraging news to say the least.

EDIT: And if someone brings in the argument of the game being scaled down, I'd like to see a source on that information.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:10:29 pm by ha~ma »

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:17 pm »
EDIT: And if someone brings in the argument of the game being scaled down, I'd like to see a source on that information.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4097/king_of_2d_vanillawares_george_.php
Team Koga

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:54 pm »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4097/king_of_2d_vanillawares_george_.php
Thanks, I stand happily corrected on that point! Props to the devs for being so forward thinking in that aspect.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:03 am »
I...I like battles... With a good battle system, I'd say they're fun.  I bought Rogue Galaxy JUST because in the demo, its battle system was so fun.  That being said though, it's hard to find games with good, engaging battle systems.  I try to steer clear of FF because I know that I haaaate turn based battles, and while Tales can be mashing a lot of the time, hey, it's fun.  (Also, playing as cleric or mage characters tends to reduce the amount of button mashing lolfff)  With Tales, battles are however you want them to be... If you want to press X the whole time, cool!  But if you want to mix things up with skills, awesome, you can!  ...Though of course you have to go back to pressing x to build up sp but whatever. 

Anyways, I have to say Muramasa does not look like it's targetted at an audience that really values the depth of its battle system.  I'd say it's probably for people who want to enjoy the scenery and relax and have a story told to them that, unlike visual novels, they feel they have a little more control over (don't get me wrong though, visual novels are great, I just get a feeling of being disconnected a lot when I play them). 

I've forced myself not to look up videos of gameplay other than trailers... Mostly for the sake of the art.  I really want that experience of seeing it for the first time when I can sit down in front of an actual TV...Though every review I've seen has said that screenshots really don't do it justice, and if that's the case I'm going to bet a youtube video won't either, but still. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 11:34:33 pm »
Sorry to be bumping my own topic, but since the game's out now I think it's appropriate... And I want to see if it's sparked any new interest in anyone now. 

Anyways, I own it, and I LOVE IT.  It's so much fun!  I've only played Momohime's route so far (but I'm definitely cosplaying her!!!), but I'm absolutely loving it.  The music, the graphics, everything is just fabulous.  It's pretty much just button mashing A (and occasionally B and C) but it's so.  much.  fun.  When I play, I look forward to coming into one-map towns just so I can eat in the restaurants... Everything is just drawn and animated so carefully! 

Here's my favorite track in the game so far (though most of them sound a LOT more...traditional midieval Japanese): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jagw2-Xgg&feature=related and the music just transitions into battle music so flawlessly and omg. 

I'm trying to convince a friend to be Kisuke, and I can probably get a more shameless friend to be Kongiku... But really.  I looove this game.  The chapter I'm on for Momohime says "The Final Act" and I hope that that's not really the case... Otherwise my only complaint would be that this is a bit short, but I'll still replay this since it's just so lovely.
lol peer pressure

Plans: