Author Topic: Seems to be a noob to the anime world...corrupt my brain please? >.<  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
I've been savoring anime ever since I was a wee child at the age of 7. 11 years later, nothing has changed, but it was on 2004 that I've discovered anime conventions. Then I discovered new animes... then discovered new manga... it overpowered me, but it still seems that I'm outdated.

-Cosplay is only something that I've done for three years and neither year was any good cause I never knew what the best way to obtain good cosplay was. That and I want to know how good/bad the cosplaying world can be when it comes to noobs like myself.

-My dialect it either out the window or down the toilet. I end up just staying out of a discussion cause half of what people are saying just goes from one ear and out the other. It's disappointing.

- More and more anime is appearing right in front of my eyes and I'm surprised that I never get a chance to see them cause I'm always stuck on a certain anime that almost 99% of the anime population already knows. It's not the same with manga cause for many years, I've been collecting manga that I probably know manga that people haven't heard of.

-My artwork has always been stuck in one place: people. It's never changed. It's always the same people always the same pose and always the same face. I've never tried animals or perspective drawing cause I'm afraid that I'll have to work on it more than I did with anatomy of characters. Not once have I made a comic. I want to, but I have so many flaws that I don't think I will like what I draw.

So I'd appreciate any advice given to me if it can lighten the load of outdatedness.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Seems to be a noob to the anime world...corrupt my brain please? >.<
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
Watch moar, read moar, and try drawing something different.

What genres do you like? Read a little and see if there is an anime, then watch that too.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:10:17 pm »
I honestly like any genre except for Machina. Never had a thing for the Gundam series.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:42 pm »
So close your eyes, spin around a few times, and grab the first book you touch. That's how wide your options appear to be.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »
Lol thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Is there anything you can tell me about cosplay. It's been only a few years that I've actually been into it and I can't really say that I'm experienced with it. lol.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »
-Cosplay is only something that I've done for three years and neither year was any good cause I never knew what the best way to obtain good cosplay was. That and I want to know how good/bad the cosplaying world can be when it comes to noobs like myself.
There is no real 'best' way to get a cosplay. You can buy it, you can make it, you can alter clothes from goodwill, or you can commission it from a friend. No matter what way you choose, you can still end up with something horrible, or something amazing. I suggest putting time and effort into it. Don't try to take the easy way out to sacrifice accuracy! Even if something is difficult or pricy, try your best to learn how to make it, or save up for a while until you can afford something of good quality.
I've heard that in costuming, you have three choices;
getting it now
getting it cheap
getting it accurate
You only get 2 out of three </3

Oh, and generally our cosplay community will accept you, even if you're terrible at your first attempt. There's always someone willing to help out and give advice ^^

-My dialect it either out the window or down the toilet. I end up just staying out of a discussion cause half of what people are saying just goes from one ear and out the other. It's disappointing.
What sort of things? If it's about a certain series, try shifting the topic to something you know, or to something not anime related. Try sticking around the forums a while, as you might hear similar conversation on the spam, cosplay, or general boards. If there's anything you don't understand, ask, or google it.

- More and more anime is appearing right in front of my eyes and I'm surprised that I never get a chance to see them cause I'm always stuck on a certain anime that almost 99% of the anime population already knows. It's not the same with manga cause for many years, I've been collecting manga that I probably know manga that people haven't heard of.
I doubt anyone will ever watch them all ^^ There are many of us who seem like they know all the popular series, but they've missed out on a lot of big ones. Just look up a few that're interesting and go out and watch them. They don't have to be popular; chances are someone has seen then ^^
Still, watching one or two popular series, or at least reading up on them, can help you out in conversations at the con...

-My artwork has always been stuck in one place: people. It's never changed. It's always the same people always the same pose and always the same face. I've never tried animals or perspective drawing cause I'm afraid that I'll have to work on it more than I did with anatomy of characters. Not once have I made a comic. I want to, but I have so many flaws that I don't think I will like what I draw.
To improve, you NEED to take risks! Take chances! Experiment! You could learn something new~ Try drawing from stock pictures, or a subject. Try looking at one of your old pieces, then point out every little flaw, and try to do it better. Look up tutorials and references as much as you need to. Don't be afraid, in practice there's no such thing as wasted time c;

So I'd appreciate any advice given to me if it can lighten the load of outdatedness.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:40:22 pm by Hazuza »

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »
There is no real 'best' way to get a cosplay. You can buy it, you can make it, you can alter clothes from goodwill, or you can commission it from a friend. No matter what way you choose, you can still end up with something horrible, or something amazing. I suggest putting time and effort into it. Don't try to take the easy way out to sacrifice accuracy! Even if something is difficult or pricy, try your best to learn how to make it, or save up for a while until you can afford something of good quality.
I've heard that in costuming, you have three choices;
getting it now
getting it cheap
getting it accurate
You only get 2 out of three </3

Oh, and generally our cosplay community will accept you, even if you're terrible at your first attempt. There's always someone willing to help out and give advice ^^

What sort of things? If it's about a certain series, try shifting the topic to something you know, or to something not anime related. Try sticking around the forums a while, as you might hear similar conversation on the spam, cosplay, or general boards. If there's anything you don't understand, ask, or google it.

I doubt anyone will ever watch them all ^^ There are many of us who seem like they know all the popular series, but they've missed out on a lot of big ones. Just look up a few that're interesting and go out and watch them. They don't have to be popular; chances are someone has seen then ^^
Still, watching one or two popular series, or at least reading up on them, can help you out in conversations at the con...

To improve, you NEED to take risks! Take chances! Experiment! You could learn something new~ Try drawing from stock pictures, or a subject. Try looking at one of your old pieces, then point out every little flaw, and try to do it better. Look up tutorials and references as much as you need to. Don't be afraid, in practice there's no such thing as wasted time c;

Thank you! You're advice will help me greatly for the future to come! ;3

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »
I'm kinda in the same boat as you on the anime thing...I have so little time outside of work to watch new anime and there is soooo much out there.but the fact remains that I do love anime and am always willing to watch new series when I hear of them...that's all that matters.

As far as the cosplay goes, try local seamstress's, craigslist ads, or the convention forums for commissions. Try researching online to find possible cosplay sites to buy from...mind you most are Japan based companies & you tend to pay for quality. I personally have someone from the Sakuracon forums that is making cosplay for me in response to a post of mine.

The most important thing is to stay open minded & don't be afraid to take chances. GL to you!!

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »
Where do you live? ;3

NOT TO BE CREEPY, but like...you could over sometime and join my friends and I watching some anime.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »

As someone said already, there really is no certain "good way" of obtaining a cosplay outfit. Buy it, make it, piece it together... There are many ways to go about doing it, and there is no "best way".
You can make it yourself if you have the sewing and construction skills, which not everyone does. This can also take a long time, so if you go this route give yourself at least a year (depending on the complexity of the outfit and your skills) to get it done.
You can buy it pre-made, which is the faster way to get it, and you can often find some fairly good prices if you look around... However, sometimes they're not always too accurate. Sometimes they are, though, so again... look around. There's Ebay, Amazon, Google (good place to find shops), Moon Costumes, Cosplay Magic, and numerous others.
And you can always piece it together from various outfits and other things you find at department stores, Good Will, ect.
Of course you can always do multiple things. As I've been known to do in the past, you can buy part of an outfit online and than modify it from there. I've bought a few online in the past to get the hardest parts out of the way and to get a head start on it, than I've modified it, changed it, and added to it from there to make it look better and look more screen-accurate.

No matter which path you choose, however, don't expect to be able to find everything you want all at the same time. And don't expect it to be cheap.

Try talking about something you do know about, and from there others will join in on the conversation. You'll also learn more over time. Not everyone knows everything about every anime series out there. In fact, most of us just have ones we "specialize in"... So find a conversation that suits you, or start one. It doesn't even have to be about anime.

Does it matter that you're watching an anime series that most people already know of, or have seen? I really don't think that matters. Just because you're watching a more well-known series like Naruto, Bleach, or any the numerous others it doesn't make you any less of a fan. Assuming that's what you meant, of course...

But you can always watch more. If you have Comcast, try searching On-Demand... The Funimation Network has a lot of anime currently playing, and they change roughly once a week. And the series are free; most of the movies aren't.
Besides that, there are numerous places to watch it online (try the Funimation channel on YouTube, they have quite a bit; there's also a Bandai channel).

You can also keep checking around these forums... Quite often people are getting together for one event or another, and fairly often they're getting together to watch anime. If you can't find one, you could always start your own and invite people to bring over their favorite series and everyone could watch one episode of each or something.

Besides that, if you're in college see if yours has an anime club. If it does, stop by. The members will most likely be more than happy to help you get going!

Don't worry about your flaws and just have fun. That's what art is all about anyway! Just do what you enjoy doing, and don't be afraid to explore and try new things. We all fail sometimes, and we all struggle. Getting past those things is all part of life.

Though I consider you lucky... I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, though I'd love to be able to draw anime... :P

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »
Where do you live? ;3

NOT TO BE CREEPY, but like...you could over sometime and join my friends and I watching some anime.
Lol doesn't mind creepy, but will just keep it safe, I live in the SE region of Portland.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 11:49:06 pm »
Try harder.
Team Koga

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 02:19:45 am »
thank you for your advice everyone. I highly appreciate it and I think what's been given to me will be able to help me out later in the year.