Author Topic: Stories from Kumoricons past.  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
Stories from Kumoricons past.
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:55 am »
Hey there Kumoricon attendees, staff, and volunteers this is Animeman73. I hope you all enjoyed my pictures from Kumoricon, I'm planning on putting up some from the U.S. West Coiast taekwondo demonstration fairly soon and again thank you for your viewership.

Well on this thread we're going to talk about something more serious. Many of us have been around for some time and have watched Kumoricon grow over the years. And we all have stories from those times. This thread is aimed at ALL kumoricon attendees, members, and staff. In keeping with my nature as a writer I like to hear stories from people about their experiences. In this case let's talk about our Kumoricon experiences (How we heard about it ,how we really got invovled in it, and what are our experiences over the years, etc.)

So, in fairness since I'm the one who started this I'll go first.

My Kumoricon experiences began back in 2006. My stepfather was still driving for the Tri-Met public transportation company at the time. One pasenger he had on his bus mentioned Kumoricon. My stepfather who at times knows me better then I know myself mentioned this to me and helped me hunt down the Kumoricon website. Having been an anime fan for many years prior I was surprised that there was an anime convention going and I'd not heard of it. So I signed up as an attendee.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:24:50 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
Re: Stories from Kumoricons past.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:19:48 am »
2006 (Correct me politely if I'm wrong) was the year Kumoricon was at the Red Lion Hotel near Jantzen Beach. Well the short of it is, it was a learning experience for me. I learned this visually impaired person just wasn't a daytripper and that I really needed to see that I eat three square meals a day and try and keep a cool head. Still it had good expeiences I was witness to the birth of the Random Panel of Doom. I also decided that next year I'd cosplay for Kumoricon.

2007 was the year it was held at the Vancouver Hilion. THAT was a wonderful xperience. I decided wisely that year to get a hotel room so I could enjoy everything worry free. Having a T.V. in my bedroom that had the Hilton channels showing anime all day and night throughout the con was an absolute stroke of genius. It was the year I first met Kirk Thornton a man who I've come to have nothing but the utmost respect for. It was also the year I played Story, Story, Die for the first time and survived. It was also the year I met my E-mail buddy PaladinCecil. Good times yes indeed.

More stories in the next post.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:47:34 am by Animeman73 »

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:37:35 am »
Here's my final post before I let all you peeps take over.

2008 was the year Kumoricon was held at the Doubletree and the year I first decided to bring my digital camera along. The cookies I got from the Hotel were delicious and the people I met at the convention were wonderful. I saw the Random Panel grow even more. I had one of my stories read for the first time at Bedtime Stories, and the reader who did so I think did a superb job. And having a hotel so close to bus service and the MAX line was very convienient. That's when I began to realize this 30 something was a committed Kumoricon goer for life.

2009 was a rather interesting year. Okay granted Kumoricon had some problems this year but hey I know the staff will work hard to fix those gremlins but good. Again I took lots of pictures, I'd like to thank all my subjects who agreed to this. And to the lovely Youjimbo lady who wore the short red kimono, I hope to see you again soon lass. Oh I do have one request for everyone, if I make a mistake with your costume on my blog please don't see it as a personal insult or attack. Just correct me nicely instead of yelling at me. As my mother always taught me you will get farther in this world by simply being nice to people. This was also a breakout year for me because I merged my love of Taekwondo with Kumoricon for what I thought was an EPIC combination! I look forward to seeing all of you next year and to more insanity. And to the Random Panel, if you don't mind having a 30 something ninja hanging around next year I wouldn't mind being part of the panel. And to PaladinCecil I hope to take part in anime Christmas next year. And TomtheFanboy, I simply must take a picture of you for my blog of Kumoricon 2010 pictures if you'd be so willing. Contact me whenever you will and we'll talk. Well that's my experiences with Kumoricon, this 30 something aspiring writer of science fiction and fantasy thanks you for reading. Now peeps lets hear from YOU, what are your Kumoricon experiences. You have my word of honor I'll not laugh at you or deride you for them. Let's hear them, READY...GO!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:28:54 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:21 am »
I got involved because my boyfriend at the time was participating in TUNAC, immersed me in AMVs, etc. I met the folks who were founding Alto Nimbus (and in fact attended the founding meeting). It happened that word had gotten out that I had proofread and edited newspapers and magazines professionally. Amy Unfred selected me as her co-judge for KC's first fanfic contest (2003). I had previously only beta-read Star Trek slash! As many of the anime/manga/games covered in the entries were new to me, so, I spent a lot of time corresponding with the authors, asking for backstory. That really shaped both how kumoricon_fanfiction yahoo group came together, and how KC has run fanfic contests since. I also was one of Amy's two copanelists on KC '03's fanfic panel. The rest, as they say, is history :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:06:43 pm »
It was 2008, I think. Or maybe 2007..can't remember. But I was bored one fine, boring evening and as such a person with no life I behaved as such: making me google random words and phrases. Now this was also my yaoi phase, so I liked anime a lottttt back then. I searched up 'oregon anime conventions' and behold the k-con website! I joined and chilled, went to a Borders meet, and it's all crap from there.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:43 pm »
I decided, one fine day towards the beginning of April, that I would find an anime convention in the area. So I searched. As it turned out by a stroke of pure stupid luck, if I had googled it maybe a month before I could have gone to Sakuracon. It had ended literally the day before.

So instead I put my foot down and said "I'm going to this convention in Portland and you're not gonna do a damn thing about it" and everyone was happy, and I've been to every Kumoricon since that one. Which was 2007 at the Vancouver Hilton. I even cosplayed to that one, and I've never not cosplayed to a single con so far.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »
The sheltered child that I am. I did not know of anime conventions till the one for 2004 was on the newspaper and my dad showed it to me. He told me that it was still going and maybe checking it out would be a great experience. Turns out that it was although I wasn't really able to go into several panels. After that, Kumoricon was a must to go to every year.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »
2006, I was supposed to go with a friend from school but she ditched me last second so it was just me and my dad. But low and behold in line I met some of my now good friends who made it all worth while <3 i could only go one day that year but it was a hell of a lot of fun so i got their emails and decided that the next year was a must as well.

2007, first time going for two days. i went the last two days which was fine by me but I still loved it. I didnt cosplay that year but I wish I had, it was a tone of fun and after that yaer I conviced my mom to let loose a little and I got some more freedoms on what i could and could not do, which in the end gave me permission to cosplay the next year.

2008, best year in my experience so far. seriously, the other years for me didnt even compare, this was my first year in the hotel, and my friend came along. I had such a great time that to me, this was k con. xD the mall, oh god that was epic.

2009, a disappointment but not all that bad. I had a lot of fun hanging out with my friends this year, as I had a lot more friends to hang out with. I didnt really attend any panels. actually yeah I didnt attend a single panel. The only one i wanted to just happened to be after midnight (pat next time you run a panel, BEFORE midnight man) so I couldnt go. there was a bit of drama, and yeah hotel security not great, but I still really enjoyed myself.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 01:09:20 am »
(1) Agreed, 2008 rocked, largely because we were at the best of all the con hotels (at which we also were for 2005, btw). Never made it to the mall; what did I miss?
(2) It is *so* cool that there are folks out there with supportive dads.
(3) Speaking of which, Lt.Cmdr.Richie, I talked to your dad the other day, sorry I haven't been by to drop off your prize (don't let her be modest, she is among our fanfic contest winners this year!). I planned to coordinate providing yours and all the ones I have to mail, and I lost over $40 when my purse got stolen (plus had to pay for new driver's license, etc.), so I'm a little behind on that. This week's crazy (Rosh Hashonah + Equinox + my birthday), but after that should be no problem.
Your dad had said to just hop by and leave it on a lawn chair, but I was like, er, Oregon = likelihood of rain and rain + DVD = not a good combo...yah.

2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:12 am »
D: I'm not so bad that you have to tell people not to let me be modest, am I?

And it's actually okay, our front porch has chairs on it and it's nice and covered :'D but whatever you want to do is fine too.

OH! And I have another story! 2008 I almost had an elevator rave with Kirk Thornton, but he was going up and we were going down. So we all danced in our separate elevators. That was pretty chill.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »
D: I'm not so bad that you have to tell people not to let me be modest, am I?

And it's actually okay, our front porch has chairs on it and it's nice and covered :'D but whatever you want to do is fine too.

OH! And I have another story! 2008 I almost had an elevator rave with Kirk Thornton, but he was going up and we were going down. So we all danced in our separate elevators. That was pretty chill.
Sounds cool.
No I was bragging about you :)
I just don't know when I'll have time...I'll let you know...most likely Tu or We of next wk.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 01:37:22 am »
In 2005, cosplaying as Lupin, I ran into Tom and he needed someone to play a psychologist-like role for the skit.  I was hired and loved every second of it.  I still laugh when I think back to when Mario "came to terms with himself." (hehe)
And in 2006, the cosplay contest halftime show with the Bakazoku.  I loved being a part of that and my "crowd control" act.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:11:45 pm »
In 2005, cosplaying as Lupin, I ran into Tom and he needed someone to play a psychologist-like role for the skit.  I was hired and loved every second of it.  I still laugh when I think back to when Mario "came to terms with himself." (hehe)
And in 2006, the cosplay contest halftime show with the Bakazoku.  I loved being a part of that and my "crowd control" act.
Okay this is sparking a crazy idea. What if someone took Beau's Anime That Scarred Me For Life panel, and adapted it so that it was the characters themselves talking about what their illustrators and storyboarders (and perhaps even fanfic shippers) have put them through that scarred *them* for life?!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »
2003- I missed Kumoricon's first convention by a few days. I was in the car with my dad and my sister past the convention center in Salem actually, on our way to the Library when I was talking about how much I wanted to go to an anime con. I had recently been watching anime con videos from bigger cons across the U.S online, and then my dad was talking about the Convention Center here. My sister then told me that there was one in Oregon, and her friend had just gone to it and told her about it. I freaked out and we eventually found out the name for it later and went to the homepage.

2004- My first Kumoricon. My friend and I pre-reged, not knowing is counted for the whole weekend at the time. We drove up from Salem on the second day. Staff was apparently in a panic because the count of people jumped from 400 in 2003 to 1,000 something. My friend and I got to go in, but my sister who didn't pre-reg, wasn't allowed in that day. So she said for my friend and I to go ahead and go in, while she was given a pass just for the Dealers Hall. Since my sister couldn't get in, we deiced to drive back for the next day, which was sadly dead day. Not a good first con for her, but we both were happy just to go to one. Duck duck goose in the halls, the kick ass amv contest, looking at the art room. I don't remember any panels.... I remember being VERY nervous about cosplaying, I didn't know if anyone else would do it, and didn't wanna feel dumb. So I went as Kagome from InuYasha, something simple. :3 I remeber being pissed at our driver cause she couldn't get back to the Marriot (no one listens to the directions of a 14 year old, even though I checked later, and we would have made it back -______-) so we didn't go back for the dance after we had dinner. I was MAD on that car trip back to Salem.

2005- We decided it was time to get a hotel, lol. We came the day of and checked out the last day. I remember being so sleep deprived, having a poudning headache during the AMV contest, and my sister wouldn't give me the damn key so I could go sleep in our room. I left thw AMV contest and curled up outside a bench infront of the hotel. I almost called home to have my dad come get me, so I could go home I was just so frsutrated. After some sleep that night I felt better though, so stayed. Don't really remember exactly what I did this year, just remember seeing Bakazoku for the first time ever. The first con with elevator problems, lol. I remeber a very MEAN k-con staff member was watching over them when I wanted on, and shoved me back away from then shouting at me they were full. Ticked me off. The producer of InuYasha, during his panel, had called the voice actors and put them on speaker while waiting for something to load, and they said they just came out of the shower, which caused the room to explode in fangirl screams, lol.

2006- Cosplayed as Princess Serenity from Sailor Moon, the most painful three days ever due to the cosplay. We took two cars up, the other car was 4 hours late and had our food in it, not happy with them. We stayed at the hotel across from the Red Lion the first night, then switched into the Red Lion for the remainder of the con. I remember sitting in line for the Cosplay Contest for about 4 hours. Then they ran late and to shut us up they threw t-shirts at us. One of the staff members chucked a t-shirt right at my sisters face, and it broke her glasses in half. We still joke about that today, lol. The cosplay contest was amazing, hosted by Bakazoku. This is the first year I remember going to panels like the fangirl glomp panel, which I filmed and is on my youtube account. I remember this one section of the hallway had no AC and was extremely HOT, the dealers room still awed me and I got a discount on a SM poster since I was dressed as one of the characters. We did a SM photoshoot on the pretty dock by the hotel, and I started meeting up with people from the forums. I got a bald spot on the top of my head from where my wig-cap cut into me, it was my first time wearing a wig, and a freaking heavy one. I learned to stretch the wig caps from then on.

2007- My worst con experience. I was lacking money in cosplay, so re-used my sisters Kikyo cosplay from 2004. I don't remember doing much, just that overall the experience sucked. I just got into the Anime Hunters panel before they told people it was too fall, and I skipped the AMV contest to go to something else, which I regetted later. The second showing just doesnt have the same energy as the first one. My roomates sucked, and I TOLD them where I would be at the last day, yet they seemed to think I had'nt, so they claimed they couldn't find me when they packed my things for me and turned in the room keys, so I never got to make sure I had everything. This is the year I lost alot of crap. I think this was the first year for the Ouran High tea party as well as the Masquerade ball? I caught the end of the tea party, and thought it was AWESOME to be waited on by the hosts. And the masquarde was in a tiny room, so I had to wait a while to get in and meet my party. The fangirl panel this year was AWESOME, with the rooms divinding in half and having the "which side can scream more like a fangirl" competition. Adding to the worst con ever, even though those three events were so cool, I was ticked that 2004-2006 (ages 14-16) I could stay out as late as I wanted as long as I had my sister with me, but one year away from 18 and I couldn't anymore, since the rules about curfew for anyone 18 had just changed. Trying to get an elevator down on the last-day was nightmarish. 40 mins one way down, and we were on the top floor.

2008- BEST. CON. YEAR. EVER. I was 18 which added to the awesomeness. But being back at the Doubletree was amazing. I went to alot of panels, and my energy was really high that year. My cosplay was fun and it wasn't restricting in anyway. It would also be the first year that we started rooming a day before the con, and staying a day late. So we weren't rushing to check in and unpack the first day of the con, and we could chill in our rooms while the rest ran around trying to check out. I actually took some time away from the con for the first time, to just go and hang out in the park with the cosplayers. It was the most relaxed con I had ever been too. Also was the first time we did out own little photoshoot in the park, so I got some awesome pictures of me in my cosplay.

2009- An OK year, though near the end of the con my legs were throbbing SO much from those stupid escalators not being turned on I was having trouble sleeping. Didn't help that my cosplay armor was like ten pounds weighing down on me for hours, plus the capes, the jewles, and the wig. It was the best year when it came to cosplay, since I finally got to be Lina, my dream cosplay, and I got alot of praise for it! woot! I even got to go on stage twice with Cynthia suring her panels. Also, definetly the best year for guests. Svetlana? amazing!!! The layout wasn't too confusing after a while, and I made sure to check it out the night before the con too, see where everything would be. Though the door between where the main events would be and leading down the garage was a misleading advertisement, since it was always freaking closed!!! The elevators of course, a nightmare. The weather was not nice, and I miss the parks being close like in 2008.

Please please please turn the escalaotors ON for 2010.... people have to pick up their cosplayes to walk up the stairs anyway. And walking up stairs after stairs with restricting or heavy cosplays can be more dangerous then taking the escalators, and hard on people with back problems, etc... there can be reminders like: pick up your cosplays! as they go on the escalators. T__T I don't want my legs to bother me all con long again!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:21:58 am »
2004: See a flyer in Jay's Anime at the Great Wall Mall. Go down to Portland for the con, but registration is already maxed for the day. The staff are getting overwhelmed, so I volunteer to help out and someone is wonderful enough to sneak in the two people I'm with in return. Working with the staff is a wondermous experience, and I wind up putting in close to as many hours as the regulars.
2005: Work as staff, and absolutely love it. It's crazy busy, the hours are insane, but meeting even more new "family" and feeling like I'm doing something good for hundreds of people who redefine lovable and genki is the best. Fall in love with Kumoricon for life.
2006-2007: Personal stuff intrudes in a major way.
2008: Sneak down for a day, and wonder what the $@#% I could have been thinking to skip the last two years.
2009: Come back as an attendee, and love it... but get the feeling it would have been tons better working with staff again.
2010: Once the October 25 elections make it possible to start signing up for staff, I'll try to be first in line. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.