Author Topic: Cosplay Duels: idea for 2010  (Read 11779 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Duels: idea for 2010
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »
So, there's something that I've been thinking of doing for a couple of years running, and apparently I'm not the only one who's wanted it. It's not a difficult idea, so I think it's about time I gave it a try.  The idea is to plan and propose a mini-event called Cosplay Duels, or something similar. It would be presented like a Street Fighter-style fighting game, starring cosplay characters.

This would be a lot like Cosplay Chess, but instead of a chess board, we'd have a series of pairings where two cosplayers have a short mock duel. There would be a little bit of an RPG-ish system to determine who is winning, with somewhat of a "rock-paper-scissors" style (though a little more sophisticated).  I'm thinking we might even be able to use a projector to show character status and health bars. ;)

Anime Oasis has done something similar in past years, but I've had trouble keeping in touch with them, so I think I'd rather just write up my own system. But before I do so, I wanted to get some feedback on what kind of system people would like me to design.  If you're interested, please post and let me know what you think. I would like to know what sorts of things people would like to see. :)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline tsukiyume1209

• Cabbit
Re: Cosplay Duels: idea for 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:50:16 am »
The idea sounds good, although I think it might be preferable if it was less sophisticated than more. Since it would be much too much trouble to take into account the various strengths and whatnots of the multitude of characters from the multitude of series. Something simple and easy to go through with would probably be best, making this more of a mock battle than actually trying to determine strengths of characters versus each other.

Because let's face it... I think that Kirby will always beat Ichigo in a one on one fight. And we can debate that for centuries to come. xD

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:54:49 pm »
So we had a boffer panel, I'm sure we could incorporate something like this, just use a soft master sword and have link fight someone.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:50:14 am »
The idea sounds good, although I think it might be preferable if it was less sophisticated than more. Since it would be much too much trouble to take into account the various strengths and whatnots of the multitude of characters from the multitude of series. Something simple and easy to go through with would probably be best, making this more of a mock battle than actually trying to determine strengths of characters versus each other.

Because let's face it... I think that Kirby will always beat Ichigo in a one on one fight. And we can debate that for centuries to come. xD

I agree that we need to keep it as simple as possible from the entrants' perspective, but that said, it's quite feasible to run a simple RPG system. Each round is just a matter of doing a simple calculation and rolling a couple of dice. And the reward? Damage numbers. Otaku love damage numbers. ;) Well, those who've ever played a game will.

But anyway, yes. Simple will be the watchword of the hour.

So we had a boffer panel, I'm sure we could incorporate something like this, just use a soft master sword and have link fight someone.

Well, there's nothing wrong with having a boffer, but by "mock fights" I mean "acted out." No forceful contact would be made, and it wouldn't be a physical contest of any sort.

Apollo Justice

Offline tsukiyume1209

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »
D&D STYLE! xD

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:40:08 pm »
D&D STYLE! xD

Hmmm... If you mean it literally, that'd be kind of involved...

Apollo Justice

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »
this is a pretty cool idea.
one rule though.

the 5 titans should not be allowed.

Nightcrawler
The Silver Surfer
Dr. Manhattan
Green Lanturn
Superman

Each of these characters have nigh unstoppable traits if not against eachother.

Nightcrawler can grab you and teleport you into a wall, while staying himself outside of it.
The Silver Surfer can take you into another dimension and leave you there
Dr. Manhattan can destroy the universe by thinking about it
Green Lanturn can put you in a bubble and shrink it down until it doesn't exist
and
Superman is... well... superman...

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »
Well, if you enter a contest such as this, you're gonna have to content yourself with the fact that you won't be unstoppable. :)

Since everyone will start off on equal footing, that means that we could very well end up seeing Sumomo from Chobits take out Sephiroth. Think of it as being like Super Smash Brothers: energy cannons and grenades can still lose to arrows and banana peels.

Apollo Justice

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »
Well, if you enter a contest such as this, you're gonna have to content yourself with the fact that you won't be unstoppable. :)

Since everyone will start off on equal footing, that means that we could very well end up seeing Sumomo from Chobits take out Sephiroth. Think of it as being like Super Smash Brothers: energy cannons and grenades can still lose to arrows and banana peels.
i can see how that would work.
but this seems like it would be one hell of a thing to set up.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:18:42 pm »
i can see how that would work.
but this seems like it would be one hell of a thing to set up.

Well, we'll see. Personally I think it'll be quite doable, though it'll take some work. I'm going to try to keep it from getting too complex.

Apollo Justice

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:01:15 pm »
A nice fighting RPG style would be how you play Pokemon. It's simple.

2 or 3 attacks. Turn based... The pokemon card game is what I mean if you want things to be simple.

Otherwise try the Pokemon video game style.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:05:24 pm »
Otherwise try the Pokemon video game style.
pokemon cosplay 2010 - gijinka battles.
its under skits and contests.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:25 am »

yeah unless you want actual pokemon mascots
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:54:11 am »

yeah unless you want actual pokemon mascots
i told you that gijinka battles is just a name.
we will accept mascot cosplayers >.>

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 03:38:58 pm »
What I meant was a simple turn based battle system from the pokemon games would be nice. Not pokemon gjinka cosplay fighting.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »
What I meant was a simple turn based battle system from the pokemon games would be nice. Not pokemon gjinka cosplay fighting.
i know, i was just saying that we were using that system in our thingy.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »
Ah, so xcthulux, you just heard someone make a comparison to the Pokemon system, and decided to point out that you're using a Pokemon-like rule system for your staged Pokemon battle panel?

I'm glad someone else is doing something similar, but I'm sorry yours ended up as Pokemon-only. It means that if I get this up and running, our two events will be somewhat redundant. Oh well... if yours is specifically for Pokemon fans, I'll keep working on this, because Pokemon fans are but a fraction of the cosplaying populace.

Apollo Justice

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:07 pm »
Ah, so xcthulux, you just heard someone make a comparison to the Pokemon system, and decided to point out that you're using a Pokemon-like rule system for your staged Pokemon battle panel?

I'm glad someone else is doing something similar, but I'm sorry yours ended up as Pokemon-only. It means that if I get this up and running, our two events will be somewhat redundant. Oh well... if yours is specifically for Pokemon fans, I'll keep working on this, because Pokemon fans are but a fraction of the cosplaying populace.
ours is actually running off of the pokemon game, so its a bit different. a few of the people are actually making props based on there moves xD

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »
^^ Actually. POKEMON IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST THINGS IN THE WORLD.. FOR ALL AGES. Although I only like the original 150 deal.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 04:11:20 am »
Narunik:

Hey, no need to shout. My statement about the cosplay populace was meant to apply to any series, not just Pokemon.

ours is actually running off of the pokemon game, so its a bit different. a few of the people are actually making props based on there moves xD

I'm getting a little confused by the subtleties here. Does "pokemon game" refer to a Pokemon tabletop RPG, or are you actually running it off of a handheld game, or is it something else?

Regardless, however, I'd like to hear more, for comparison. :) How will you enact the rules? I would read your thread to see if you mentioned it, but it's rather long and there seems to be a lot of chit-chat. I hope you don't mind my asking.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:11:55 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 10:35:49 pm »
OH..SORRY..I JUST LIKE CAPS...IF YOU SEE ME GO !!!...THAT IS YELLING...I AM AWARE THAT CAPS IS NOTED AS YELLING...YET I DUN CARE....

hehe...Donutmon...Gotta eat em all..

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 02:53:05 am »
Looks like I need to show you my battle system. I tried showing it as a skit for the contest in 09' featuring Super Saiyan 4 Goku against Dark Link, but it was unfinished and almost backfired on me, though my crew saved and simplified it.

My system uses rock-paper-scissors and "think of a number between _ and _" as the randomizer for the moves. Basic RPS is hand to hand combat, weapons are the same except that they score on extra point for the winner, and powers are number guessing to resemble the unusual attack method.

Most games are played with 10 hit points, or to a score of 10 victory points.

I've been thinking of doing a video shoot for a demo of it. Or as far as the projector/laptop thing goes, it would be a great visual aid, especially if you could divide the health bars into sections and fill enough sections equal to the damage taken.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:55:55 am by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 01:25:18 pm »
That sounds interesting, Jason.  I'm not sure whether it's compatible, but I'm thinking of ways to handle it. For instance, perhaps it would be a good idea to have runners to relay the duelists' actions to the M.C. (the duelists would still have to be near the front to reduce time spent relaying, but at least they wouldn't have to move).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to send me anything.

Apollo Justice