Author Topic: K-Lite - looking for a good home  (Read 198695 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: K-Lite - looking for a good home
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:10 am »
How about Santa Barbara and Ventura county?
They're both friendly to K-Lite!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 03:18:16 pm »
I really enjoyed K-Lite being at PSU, and would love it if it would be hosted there again! It was a great location in the middle of downtown with plenty of places to walk to! Having a Subway and Starbucks right across the way was magical, but that could just be me. ;) I had a lot of fun last year, and am really hoping you guys can pull it off again!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:19:05 pm by Shadow »

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »
Alright so, here is the just of what I've gotten out of this thread:

PCC is a no-go because it costs money.

PSU has been done before with success but has some rules we aren't fond of, and you know how much we love change!

OSU has been offered up as an option but Mr_Mustash has not gotten back to us with details.

CCVancouver has been offered up but Faaedab has not gotten back to us with details.

I also made a list of colleges I personally think would be capable or feasible for us to use, if anyone knows anyone
from these colleges, please have them give us a shout out!

Pioneer Pacific College - Willsonvile OR Clackamas

Southern Oregon University (okay, I know, way the eff out there, but... it's still an option!) - Ashland

Western Oregon University - Monmouth

Eastern Oregon University - La Grande

Oregon State University - Corvallis

University of Oregon - Eugene

George Fox University - Newberg

Pacific University - Hillsboro/Forest Grove

Willamette University - Salem

Linfield College - McMinnville

All of these options have pros and cons but we need students involved with clubs in these colleges to find out
for us exactly what hurdles we have to jump to utilize their space, this is first and foremost, and must be done
soon or K-con Lite cannot happen.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:21 pm »
If we're really looking at all the way in Eugene, I wonder if LCC, Lane Community College, might not be an option. I know there are several of us who are now or have been recently students there....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »
That would be excellent! I think it'd be great to hear from people from any type
of college, and a community college might have more room and less rules for us
to follow...

It'd be great to hear what they say in regards to an event!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2009, 09:06:16 pm »
That would be excellent! I think it'd be great to hear from people from any type
of college, and a community college might have more room and less rules for us
to follow...

It'd be great to hear what they say in regards to an event!

~Allykat
I've never tried to run an event there, but am a former student & former student-employee, & I have attended events held in the (enormous, multi-room) cafeteria. LCC also has a lot of free onsite parking, is right off the highway, & has a couple bus lines that run there frequently.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:07:28 pm by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 09:55:18 am »
The main campus of Pacific University in Forest Grove definitely has good space for K-Lite but do we have anyone attending Pacific? I know we have people out in my old home town but I don't know if any of them are actually going to Pacific.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
It'd be nice to find that out, I really'd like to see this information anyway....

Ideally I think we need some kind of Anime Club database, or contact list,
and while the information may change from year to year for them, it doesn't
really for us. Whoever holds a possition still answers here and there respective
e-mail account so if we can start getting in touch with these clubs all around
the state, they can inform US of their changes and we can inform THEM of
events and things we would like to do/need in regards to them... instead of
hunting around the forums for people who might know a guy who was friends with
a girl who dated the secretary of the Reed College Anime Group... you know what
I mean?

I'd love to take a day sometime soon if we prove to have no contacts in many of
these schools, and go to campuses and see if I can find posters for these clubs
floating around, then we can finally corner them where they live! Muwahaha!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 12:34:22 pm »
That's something that Mike wanted to get together laast year under Outreach. I dunno how many outreach staff got involved in that or how many Campus Representatives we got. I definitely think we need to find out if we have any staff members in forest Grove right now, and if we do they need to stop by Pacific University and find out if there is an anime club there.

Heck this is something that all of our staff should be doing at whatever college is near their house, whether they attend or not. I know we have contacts down at OIT in southern oregon. Maybe they can make a day trip over to Ashland and make contact with the SOU students.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »
I really like the PSU campus, I don't see why we can't use that. I know people that go there and are on this forum.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2009, 01:00:14 pm »
Options hun, we need options... just because one person likes the PSU campus and likes
the way things work there, doesn't mean it's always going to work.

From a personal standpoint I like diversity. If the main convention is in portland, I'd
prefer K-con Lite to be outside of the metro, if even just a bit outside, in order to
appeal to the wider public that may want to go, but distance is an issue, also, it gets
us outside of portland for once, allowing K-con to be bigger than just a portland
convention or portland outreach. We want to appeal to the large scope of oregon itself.

I'm not saying KLite has to be outside of portland, but... perhaps in the future it might
be worth knowing what groups and what schools are friendly to our little convention!

Does that make sense? It's about having all the cards before shuffling the deck, not
neccessarily about changing the makings of the flush.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »
Ok well people need to act then. If you want it somewhere else get up and ask other places. A lot of people like that campus, the area that was used was perfect for this. It has a large lobby with a bunch of rooms that could be used. It is also in the Portland area so people can get familiar with the surroundings and learn how to get around the area better. It would be nice to have it other places but the large majority of people that will go are in the Portland area. A lot of people already said that they wouldn't be able to go if it was in Eugene or Corvallis.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 02:26:32 pm »
As I'm sure you know, A lot of things go in to chosing a place for an event
that is run by Kumoricon/Altonimbus Entertainment. And while I would love to
be able to just walk up to each campus and start snooping around for an
anime club, (I promise you I will be doing this for Linfield today, and if I can
make it out to PU today, I'll go there as well) It's better if we have members of
the Kumoricon convention (attendees and staff alike) provide us with a already
grounded connection to the club. If I simply walk up to the president of an
anime club on a college campus, I could get a positive reaction, but I could also
get a very overwhelmed or defensive one. Finding connections takes time. But in
the end they are definitely worth it. Even if we don't end up using a different
location this year, It'd be great to have that information for next year and beyond,
we really do have to move around and utilize other places.

I understand it's frustrating, to have a place you like and want to use, and have
other people making it difficult for you to relay that thought and your opinion in
a way that makes it clear you have the best interests of the event in mind. Trust
me when I say I wouldn't right off PSU just because we are looking at new alternatives.

But you know, change can be a good thing! Think about all the people in Bend, Eugene,
Corvallis, Salem, the Willamette Valley, Oregon Coast and everywhere else that love
anime, love going to the convention, want to be involved in other events but it is just too
far away? I understand that Portlanders have a significant portion of the convention
attendance tied up, but every once and awhile, even I liked getting out of South East to
explore the greater Oregon area! Maybe it was only out too sherwood or salem or wilsonville
but sometimes a trip can be nice. To anyone who would say it's not fair to make Portlanders
have to trek, I would turn that back and say that it may not be fair to make Southern
Oregonians trek, or Eastern Oregonians. Varying location makes it clear we are a OREGON
convention, not a Portland one.

Aside from that, it's just nice to broaden our options, we may not find something better, we
may not choose anything different, it's not hard to note that going to PSU with this will NOT
be difficult, we have the precedent. We can get those connections rolling in a heartbeat. So
our desire to strech our legs and explore isn't a detriment, its more of a curiosity. I just feel
this curiosity needs more structure, and more outline. If we want to find out who goes where
and who is involved in what, I'd like to use that information for more than just K-lite... if we
can....

But thats all dreams, until we start getting real people talking about real clubs in their area, this
is all just conjecture and pomp, without anything to back it up. But let me say this;
I would prefer we have no K-lite than a k-lite that isn't fun for everyone... so lets focus on
making sure that it's fun too! No frowns in this project! ^__^

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »
I understand it's frustrating, to have a place you like and want to use, and have
other people making it difficult for you to relay that thought and your opinion in
a way that makes it clear you have the best interests of the event in mind.

Then don't make it difficult.

You're looking into Linfield and Pacific? Great. Let us know how that goes, they are very nice schools.
Hopefully we'll see some replies from fans in McMinville or fans in Forest Grove on this thread soon.

Just because we've liked PSU doesn't mean we're sneering at the other options you've presented or your work towards them. That's just the locations we know we can depend on for a quality experience. Don't take it personally if we voice our preference over the other options you're presenting. Nobody who goes to those schools has spoken up to show that those locations have fans there. The only large (vocal) groups of Kumoricon fans that I know of not in the Portland metro area are in Salem and Bend. Since I'm not in Salem I can't look for prime locations there though. I know that if there was a good location for a Kumoricon event in Bend we could get info on it pretty quick.

So until people actually at those schools speak up about their anime clubs and the availability of space, PSU is going to be the top of the list in the public mind.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2009, 03:37:43 pm »
Keep in mind that we already do a yearly mini-event in Eugene, at Eugene Asian Fest.  We have a bigger room for 2010.  That will run for two days. 

Well, by 'yearly' I meant that 2010 will be our 3rd year providing content to that event.  We only started having our own room in 2009. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:26 pm »
a way that makes it clear you have the best interests of the event in mind.

Then don't make it difficult.

You're looking into Linfield and Pacific? Great. Let us know how that goes, they are very nice schools.
Hopefully we'll see some replies from fans in McMinville or fans in Forest Grove on this thread soon.

Just because we've liked PSU doesn't mean we're sneering at the other options you've presented or your work towards them. That's just the locations we know we can depend on for a quality experience. Don't take it personally if we voice our preference over the other options you're presenting. Nobody who goes to those schools has spoken up to show that those locations have fans there. The only large (vocal) groups of Kumoricon fans that I know of not in the Portland metro area are in Salem and Bend. Since I'm not in Salem I can't look for prime locations there though. I know that if there was a good location for a Kumoricon event in Bend we could get info on it pretty quick.

So until people actually at those schools speak up about their anime clubs and the availability of space, PSU is going to be the top of the list in the public mind.

Thats not what I'm saying at all, And understand, I was saying that I know how she feels,
I like to believe I'm not making it difficult for anyone to voice there opinion. I just wanted to
make sure she knew I empathized with the frustrations as it has happened to me as well, in
truth I wanted to make sure everyone understood (this is what it gets down to) Simply stating
that you prefer PSU doesn't tell us what PSU is offering us this year, or that they are even
a member of the club that can get us into PSU in the first place. While we know that our
wonderful hosts for the past few years can be counted on to make an available space for
K-con lite, it is by no means the end all be all. That said, I don't mind PSU, And I didn't feel
you were or anyone was sneering at my other options, I just don't want this thread of
conversation to die with the mentality that "PSU is where K-con Lite will be" Because, that
may not neccessarily be the case if people provide other options. We know PSU is available,
lets talk about other options too, you know what I mean?

I can't say for sure where K-con Lite will be, or what will happen. As Dawn stated just recently,
we do have outreaches in Eugene, and we have the main convention in portland. As Tom
stated, we haven't found anything to do in Bend yet (this doesn't seem right to me, I'm sure
stuff has been done in bend before...) And the Willamette Valley is a good cross point between
Salem and Portland metro. We have options, and I would never, and no where did I ever state
that PSU was not a viable or worthwhile option... I'm just greedy and I want more! I want the
world! I want the whole world! No, thats not right... I just want to see if we have working
relationships with other schools that might be able to be utilized. That is all, enough said.

Thank you for clarifying yours and nikkolie's points on the matter of PSU. It makes absolute
sense to want to stay there from a public standpoint, rest assured that wherever K-con lite
is it'll be in a place that provides us with what we need and also makes the event marketed
and fun.

I guess I simply would like to here other peoples options, since we know about PSU and are
good to go in that area, maybe a fall back plan or future plans or even alternative plans are
worthwhile? Like I said before, I understand what it's like to find it difficult to explain your
reasoning and your logic in a way that doesn't sound pushy or inconsiderate, it's hard without
tone and pause. Forums are notorious for fighting and ill will because words are read much
differently then said. I simply want to acknowledge your opinion of PSU, note it, and call
once again for other options. Thats all, no personal vendetta against anyone or PSU... just...
idle curiosity.

THAT SAID....

I was unable to venture out to Pacifc Univ in time to catch anyone on campus that might
know about an Anime Club. But I did make it to Linfield just before the ASLC president left.
He gave me the e-mail address to a young woman hoping to start up an Asian Pop culture
club on campus but told me so far, no Anime clubs have been on the ASLC roster. While it
will be good to have her information and perhaps see how many Linfield students are really
interested in an Anime/Asian Culture club, I think that young of a program may not suit our
needs, but that depends on what others think.

As a side note, we can leave PSU at the top of the "List" in the public mind, and I am fine
with that ^_^ I just like the list to have more than one place on it, and maybe if its not
too much trouble, some contact info! Again, this is something we need forum-junkies who
are students to get involved in. And it will take time, but I just want to make sure people
know the location is still up for discussion, and we need more options brought to the table...

You never know! We could find something we really like... that we haven't even contemplated
yet! No hard feelings right?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:23 pm »
Great work so far AllyKat. :)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00:19 pm »
Heh, Well... I have a list of schools I'll need to try and get to, maybe on my
way to portland I can hit up PU and maybe some other schools this weekend...

It's actually surprisingly easy if you are a college age looking person to go in
to the college to the Student Association room and ask about clubs. I was
able to get the school e-mail address of the girl planning on running an anime
club at Linfield by mentioning that kumoricon was interested in working with them
on an event. While we may or may not use them, its good to have the contact
info. I'd wager we'd need a LOT more people in mcminnville wanting the mini-event
here for it to happen at linfield, a better middle ground would be george fox univ
or Pacific Univ... Although there are places on the milwaukie/clackamas side that
have caught my attention to... and again, I'm interested in seeing what AiP has
to say, (still waiting for my brother to e-mail me back) and maybe get a look at the
PSU campus... I'd actually like to talk to the PSU Anime Club and see what their
vision would be for K-con lite if it was held there... I really want to see a club that
wants to use K-con lite in a symbiotic way. We need to work together on this, they
provide the space and the basic publicity on campus, we provide the gear and the
copious amount of people and fun! In the end it gets them focus on campus and us
a great way to get together.

Anyway... 1 down... several more to go! Woot!
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »
Keep in mind that we already do a yearly mini-event in Eugene, at Eugene Asian Fest.  We have a bigger room for 2010.  That will run for two days. 

Well, by 'yearly' I meant that 2010 will be our 3rd year providing content to that event.  We only started having our own room in 2009. 
Actually Creation Station had a presence there helping at the Copic booth for a year or two before Kumoricon got involved directly with the event!! :)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:51 pm »
Okay so... does anyone go to University on this forum? Anyone? Does anyone here know anyone
else who goes to university near them? All it really takes is 5 minutes on the campus. I kid you not
here is what I did:

Walked into the student center.
Went up to the Council Recognized Club Board
Looked for information on Anime/Japanese Culture Club
IF FOUND: Take information and bring it back to board
IF NOT FOUND: Talk to Club Council (Student Organization Group) to find out if there is a club on the
books or being planned for the school and who to get into contact with to know more, then bring that
back to board.

I just would like to know if It's worth it to anyone to make connections at these schools for the future?
Or am I fighting one of those battles that I'm gonna have to do on my own? Whatever happens, I will
get the information I need, but it would be great to have students of the schools make connections with
their respective Anime clubs... that way I don't have to play double agent through every university in
Oregon. Whatever happens let me know!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
Okay so... does anyone go to University on this forum? Anyone? Does anyone here know anyone
else who goes to university near them? All it really takes is 5 minutes on the campus. I kid you not
here is what I did:

Walked into the student center.
Went up to the Council Recognized Club Board
Looked for information on Anime/Japanese Culture Club
IF FOUND: Take information and bring it back to board
IF NOT FOUND: Talk to Club Council (Student Organization Group) to find out if there is a club on the
books or being planned for the school and who to get into contact with to know more, then bring that
back to board.

I just would like to know if It's worth it to anyone to make connections at these schools for the future?
Or am I fighting one of those battles that I'm gonna have to do on my own? Whatever happens, I will
get the information I need, but it would be great to have students of the schools make connections with
their respective Anime clubs... that way I don't have to play double agent through every university in
Oregon. Whatever happens let me know!

~Allykat

IMHO, it's blazingly obvious that we need connections with as many nearby anime clubs as possible.

• With many anime shops closing up or going online-only in the face of overwhelming online competition, they're one of the best possible ways left to spread the word on-the-ground. TV ads are great, but the more outreach we can get, the better.
  • They're superb potential supply lines for new staff. These are people who are outgoing enough to be part of a club, and dedicated enough to keep it running.
  • The relationship is mutually beneficial. Anime clubs are absolutely worthwhile in and of themselves, but it's depressing to feel like "just" a small group on a big campus. Having ties to something as big (comparatively speaking) as Kumori would help dispel that false impression, and even be a point of pride.
  • All of these things would be true regardless. But they become much more true if we "spread our wings" and start having mini-events at more than just one place, in conjunction with different clubs or teams of clubs. Lord knows there's plenty of room for more get-togethers. (^_^)
  • Just a surmise, but I think that would help in a different, roundabout way: Lowered expectations. If people wait all year for The One Big Event and it's anything less than perfect, they'll be a lot more disgruntled than if they have a chance to experience it a few times a year.

The kicker: I wish I could help, I really do - I think what you're doing is very important to Kumori's future. But unfortunately, I'm 3-5 hours away from any of the places that have been mentioned. And trying to get Seattle anime clubs affiliated with Kumori could easily be seen as stepping on our big sister's toes.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »
I am just pleased you agree with me... it is really vital that we connect with
the Anime community on ANY and ALL levels. It's how this convention got
started... how this convention has maintained it's steam. I also agree that
perusing the seattle/wa area clubs would not be befitting of a good friend to
the convention up north. We have a whole state of our own to use, and darn
if I'm not gonna use it!

I do really aspire to get to each and every college I can drive my little clunker
to in the coming year and shake the hand of the Anime club Presidents at all
of them, but for one person to do that takes time, and it's time that this
specific event, K-lite, does not really have.. not if we want it to happen sooner
than later. The quicker way is obviously those local to the schools checking
it out, but I understand it's not always feasible...

Since it seems most people are more interested in working on the PSU venue,
I'd like to ask those who go to PSU or are on the PSU Anime club roster what
they want and why they want K-lite at their school. Coming at this from a
completely objective perspective tells me that this is something we will have
to work together on... and if people think it's just "easier" to have it somewhere
it was in years prior, they are assuredly mistaken. Every year presents new
challenges. For instance, what if the Anime Club leaders at PSU this year do not
want to put in the effor to helping host a Kumoricon event? What if it is not
feasible for them or reasonable to ask of them? These are completely legitimate
needs that their club may be facing and us forcing K-Lite on them would no
more help our cause then not having it at all.

*shrugs* I just think of these things late at night... We are a team when we go
into an event with a club, and so on both sides of that team there has to be
a trust and a work that gets everything done. I wouldn't want to force it on PSU
kids just because their predeccesors did it, but I do want to see what they want
in the first place. On top of finding out where the Anime Community in Universities
around Oregon are.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
Given that we have entire wings that appeal to people regardless of their level of otakudom (e.g., Gaming & Creation Station), if people are going to universities to check for clubs, why not also check for LAn, LARP, other gaming clubs, Go clubs, art clubs, creative writing clubs....However really were I to engage such outreach it would be to find either free event venues, and/or volunteers, staff, or panelists...not new attendees so much, as we are already at risk of being over-capacity at the same hotel again...

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »
Yeah I took a couple pieces of info from Linfield on their Writing club and Roleplaying clubs... I didn't think about art or
gaming, and that was my bad... but I'll be keeping all that info. So, if you have contacts for ANYTHING let me know!

^__^

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 03:16:14 am »
i have a friend who is involved with the anime club at pcc sylvania, and i could get some contact information from him.

will post again when i get more info.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 07:35:29 am »
YAY! Thank You! I'll be excited to hear what they have to say!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:45 am »
My parents are members of the Elks Club in Sherwood and they talked about having large groups there. My dad was going to try to get more info. From what I understand is that it will be free to get in. The catch is that people would have to buy food and drinks from them. They also have a bar and will allow people under 21 to come in. My dad also believes that people would be able to sell hats and boxes of pockey like they have before.

If that is something you (staff) are interested in please let me know and I can get more information. Here are some pictures of the place and some other information. I would be your link in though my parents :D

http://www.elks.org/lodges/lodgefacilities.cfm?lodgenumber=2342

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 08:42:57 am »
My parents are members of the Elks Club in Sherwood and they talked about having large groups there. My dad was going to try to get more info. From what I understand is that it will be free to get in. The catch is that people would have to buy food and drinks from them. They also have a bar and will allow people under 21 to come in. My dad also believes that people would be able to sell hats and boxes of pockey like they have before.

If that is something you (staff) are interested in please let me know and I can get more information. Here are some pictures of the place and some other information. I would be your link in though my parents :D

http://www.elks.org/lodges/lodgefacilities.cfm?lodgenumber=2342

*mouthwatering*

My dear... PLEASE SEND ME THIS INFORMATION!! ^___^

Honestly this is the GREAT kind of place we'd LOVE to hear about! A place like this would
be perfect for certain events and I am very excited to know about it! Thank you so much Nikkiolie
my dear! *Hugs you* You Rock! And so does your parents!

btw... send it to Hotel@Kumoricon.org

otherwise I might lose it!
~Allykat

[Edit by JeffT: Corrected email address]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:03:05 pm by JeffT »
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2009, 08:44:30 am »
Alright it will probably be next Friday by the time I can get some more information.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »
That place looks fun. o w o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:56:00 pm by StarryShay »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »
Alright it will probably be next Friday by the time I can get some more information.

OMG K-lite is next Friday!?!
NO NO NO NO NO NO SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Sorry, sometimes I can only stop myself so much. Sherwood isn't too far of a drive for me but I have a feeling my van will be carrying a crew down there.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2009, 11:55:37 am »
woot, sign me up for the van ride
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
Oh right I got some more info and I kept forgetting to send it. XD The main thing I figured out is that the venue is going to to be about $100 for 50-100 people but I think kcon lite had about 100 to 200 so it would probably be about $200 >_>

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2009, 01:32:31 pm »
Oh right I got some more info and I kept forgetting to send it. XD The main thing I figured out is that the venue is going to to be about $100 for 50-100 people but I think kcon lite had about 100 to 200 so it would probably be about $200 >_>

Thanks darlin! I really appreciate the info... still, we have to think about costs, and
while 2 bucks a head aint bad... I have to keep looking... but I'm most certainly filing
this away for future ventures!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »
What if a bunch of fans got together to raise funds for an event in Corvallis? I've never been to the OSU campus and I think I could get at least $50 together to contribute to a Kumoricon event.

Maybe we could add "Brought to you in part by Pocky Club" on all the announcements.  8)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2009, 10:09:21 pm »
That would be great if it was in Corvallis. I could have one person stay in my room :D

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
I don't think i could come then :'(

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:56 pm »
I don't think i could come then :'(

Why couldn't you go to a one day event in Corvallis? I know that a ride could be arranged.

Nikki, did you already get the contact info for whichever OSU student organization we'd be working with? The gaming club or the anime club?
Did Mustash?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »
I haven't done anything here >_>

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2009, 10:23:00 pm »
I haven't done anything here >_>

LOL, OK. Anybody else?
Does OSU have any sort of club like that still?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »
I probably wouldn't be able to go either .x.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2009, 12:24:20 am »
Yeah lol wait. A while ago, weren't we worried about a location up here, because there wasn't too much public transport? And now we're moving all the way down to Corvallis? *-*; Or I bet I just read it wrong before.

*shrugs* but I guess it's fair since they haven't had any events in the south since... I think that halloween one in 06 or 07? Or at least none I ever heard of haha
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:24:48 am by Hazuza »

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2009, 01:01:40 pm »
Yikes, Corvallis is pretty far away.. I probably wouldn't be able to attend. ;_;

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2009, 03:33:45 pm »
Attend what? I still have no contacts from anyone... as far as I know... K-lite is dead in the water.

I have no one, not even PSU, as a contact for a possible space. And cold calling schools isn't working, they either don't have an anime group, or they don't know they do. And even ilegitimate Anime groups would be helpful, because I can get them recognized and help them advertise, but I need to know they exist. I need help to get this running, I can't convince schools to put on something that doesn't connect to their students in a way that is already established. Schools wont give out freebies to just anyone.

The urgency just doesn't seem to be there this year, either K-lites in the past haven't been awesome enough to get schools excited about hosting them, or they haven't been fun enough to get school age kids interested in helping host them. Either way, I am ready to get the ball rolling, but I need a direction, and we don't have one. So all the speculation in the world can occur but no one has a name or phone number or email address for me.

And nikkiolie, don't think I've forgotten that lodge... I think I have wonderful... wonderful plans for that lodge... I really do appreciate that information!! *evil grin*

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »
I know that South Salem High School has an anime club. A friend of mine founded it last year, but has graduated this year. I can put you in contact with her if you're interested, but she's in California for a week. After she gets back I'm sure she'd be willing to talk with you though. =3
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:35:35 pm by Shadow »

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »
That would be amazing, if only for the contacts. Is she going to college anywhere around here?

Highschools are tricky because they do not lend out their buildings to outside groups for the most part, even if that outside group is affiliated with a school club. Too much liability. Plus, 25% of what we do prolly wouldn't be allowed inside a school building. (Examples aren't coming to me, but I'm sure a lot of our humor and costuming wouldn't make principals like us much).

Its great that you are thinking though! YAY productivity!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »
She's currently not attending college.

You have a big point about the liability.. darn. Now I understand why colleges are most often used!  :D

Sorry I couldn't help much.. If I had the contacts you needed I'd give them to you in a heartbeat. I wish you the best of luck!!

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2009, 05:42:46 pm »
Though Klite may be dead in the water right now, I should point out that we will be running events at Gamestorm and Oregon Asian Celebration (AKA Eugene Asian Fest). 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:02 pm »
i saw a flyer in the bathroom at pcc SE center saying that there was an anime club.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:13 am »
Uhhh.. and there is some other info like date/time/contacts on the flier too perhaps you might want to share?