Author Topic: 2010 Guest Recommendation Thread - Official  (Read 140687 times)

Offline Saberchan

• Cabbit
Re: 2010 Guest Recommendation Thread - Official
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:50 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing Vic at K-con. I was actually at Sakuracon this year and missed him...I lost track of time and spent too much time in the dealer's hall D:  *shrugs* But I see what you're saying....but it would be cool...

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2010, 12:08:57 am »
Yeah! I missed him at Sakuracon too! I was kinda sad face! But I did see Luci and Todd! They are quite nice folk!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2010, 09:59:17 am »
Having had the chance to have a picture taken with Vic Mignogna I can tell you rumors of him being a mean and arrogant so and so are just that...RUMORS. I couldn't get to any of his panels because they were so bloody full by the time I got there. Once I have my blog entry completed I'll give everyone a link in the Sakuracon thread to it. But i can assure you in the time I had to meet him I can say Vic Mignogna is one of the nicest people I've ever met. And I know someday K-con will have him maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. And I'm perfectly content to have Travis Willingham come. I've gotten a picture of the Risembol Rangers' leader in all fairness and balance I should get a picture of the mini Skirt Army's leader.

Oh and Ally it was good seeing you at Sakuracon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:37:57 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »
Having had the chance to have a picture taken with Vic Mignogna i can tell you rumors of him being a mean and arrogant so and so are just that...RUMORS. I couldn't get to any of his panels because they were so bloody full by the time I got there. Once I have my blog entry completed I'll give everyone a link in the Sakuracon thread to it. But i can assure you in the time I had to meet him I can say Vic Mignogna is one of the nicest people I've ever met. And i know someday K-con will have him maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. And I'm perfectly content to have Travis Willingham come. I've gotten a picture of the isembol Rangers' leader in all fairness and balance I should get a picture of the mini Skirt Army's leader.

Yes.  This.  This like a lot. 

2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Samileeroth

• Oni
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:01 pm »
I agree with previous posts, I would love to see Travis Willingham, and I definatly want to request J. Michael Tatum (Kyouya:Ouran, Isaac:Bacanno!, etc. etc))

Offline kai-chan

• Cabbit
    • Kawaii Factor
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:01 am »
I gotta say it doesn't seem reasonable to not invite someone to our con because they went to other conventions in surrounding states. WHO cares if he was at California and Washington!! I don't think most of the people at Kumoricon went to either of those and to kumoricon and if they did they might have missed him!!! (VIC) or would like to go again! If someone is highly recommended and has said so himself that he would go if he was invited, then Invite him!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:33:16 am by kai-chan »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:59 am »
Guys, she was just stating A possible reason.  There is more to choosing guests than you might realize.  There is more to getting guests to attend than you might realize.  I am not going to say more than that, because I can't.  Please don't jump down the throats of people working very hard.  It is not an effective way to inspire us to keep working hard. 

If you join our staff you will quickly see that MANY things are much harder and more complicated in terms of putting on this show than you thought. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:48 am »
Well, I sympathize with the organizers on this one. While pleasing one's fans is a very important, one has to maintain a professional independent image when it's comes to large gatherings like conventions. As much I'd like Vic to be at Kumoricon, I realize that Sakura got him first, so we gotta deal with it. Besides, I'm sure we can manage to snag someone even better. >:3

Anyway, I'd like to put a vote in LittleKuriboh/Martin Billaly as well, I've always wanted to see him in person after what people have said about him at other conventions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:30:55 pm by Shout »

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2010, 12:17:23 pm »
Unfortunately from the Risembool website, Vic is busy during Kumoricon this year at Anime Vegas, but If we plan ahead of time and ask for him to come during Kumoricon 2011. We could get him possibly. I noticed he gets asked to almost a year in advanced, just to be a guest at cons.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
Well, I sympathize with the organizers on this one. While pleasing one's fans is a very important, one has to maintain a professional independent image when it's comes to large gatherings like conventions. As much I'd like Vic to be at Kumoricon, I realize that Sakura got him first, so we gotta deal with it. Besides, I'm sure we can manage to snag someone even better. >:3

I am not jumping down any throats, I am just saying I disagree with that type of reasoning, no matter who the guest is, just because it seems to me like one convention shouldn't be able to basically call dibs on a guest. If someone is big in anime, and the guests of that convention would like to see them, and the con can get them, then why not ask them? Because they don't want to be copying other cons? If that's the case, it limits the guests a con can have. Maybe not Vic, but another guest, it could be the same case. Kind of like that whole, "I'm going to stop liking this anime because now everyone else likes it" attitude.

Kumoricon should cater to Kumoricon, or for that matter any con should cater to themselves, despite what other conventions near them do, otherwise they really are living in that conventions shadow. Not for the reason of asking for the same guest, but constantly thinking, oh we have to do this differently because this other con did and we can't have that, or thinking, well this percentage of our guests go to this convention so we don't need to invite this guest cause this percentage has already had the chance to see him, while ignoring the soul bunch that doesn't make up that convention. Guests go to a certain convention, wanting to see someone at that certain convention. I am a Kumoricon attendee at that moment, attending Kumoricon. Wether I attend another con or not should not have any imapct on who I get to see or what I get to experience.

Kumoricon and Sakuracon are separate, but by purposely not doing certain things just cause Sakuracon does it limits what Kumoricon could do more than what they are not doing just cause the other con is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:57:54 pm by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »

Kumoricon should cater to Kumoricon, or for that matter any con should cater to themselves, despite what other conventions near them do, otherwise they really are living in that conventions shadow.
Kumoricon and Sakuracon are separate, but by purposely not doing certain things just cause Sakuracon does it limits what Kumoricon could do more than what they are not doing just cause the other con is.

I agree with both of these statements whole heartedly. This is the most important thing to remember though; that all of it effects us. Things they do and things we do, it all effects the pacfic northwest climate of anime.

I'll only say this one more time, I'll put it in bold so it's not missed, and then I will never type these words again. So people can continue to state the obvious, but It will fall on deaf ears. And the reason is because I feel this train of thought no longer is justified in clogging up Dawn's guest request thread.

THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY WE MAY NOT CHOOSE TO EXTEND AN INVITATION TO A GUEST. The one that is in contest here is merely a small part of the equation, and my only reasoning in discussing it was to further shed light on the proccesses which are used to decide the guests we have at Kumoricon. Everything matters, even if its only a bit, it matters.

You may not like it but other people may be in serious disagreement with your opinion. There is oposition in all things and while most attendees have to and should look at what is best for THEM at Kumoricon (trust me that is an invaluable trait in our attendees because it tells me and the rest of the board what the real wants are) the staff has to look at the biggest picture possible.

Still, it's all about you guys and what you want in combination of what is feasible and what is possible. In the end we make things work and I've not heard that there was every a TERRIBLE year for Guests... at least not recently!

Trust me, there is so much more to the choice of a Guest than "Oh, well... Timmy was at Sak so... we can't have Timmy at K-con!"

Thats just silly!
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

I am not jumping down any throats, I am just saying I disagree with that type of reasoning, no matter who the guest is, just because it seems to me like one convention shouldn't be able to basically call dibs on a guest. If someone is big in anime, and the guests of that convention would like to see them, and the con can get them, then why not ask them? Because they don't want to be copying other cons? If that's the case, it limits the guests a con can have. Maybe not Vic, but another guest, it could be the same case. Kind of like that whole, "I'm going to stop liking this anime because now everyone else likes it" attitude.

Kumoricon should cater to Kumoricon, or for that matter any con should cater to themselves, despite what other conventions near them do, otherwise they really are living in that conventions shadow. Not for the reason of asking for the same guest, but constantly thinking, oh we have to do this differently because this other con did and we can't have that, or thinking, well this percentage of our guests go to this convention so we don't need to invite this guest cause this percentage has already had the chance to see him, while ignoring the soul bunch that doesn't make up that convention. Guests go to a certain convention, wanting to see someone at that certain convention. I am a Kumoricon attendee at that moment, attending Kumoricon. Wether I attend another con or not should not have any imapct on who I get to see or what I get to experience.

I appreciate how you feel on this, but I am not making my main point clear enough, I guess.  
There are many factors that go into having a guest at a con.  This IS more complex than any of you seem to realize.  Ally listed a bunch of considerations in an earlier post.  There are more than just those, though.  

I cannot really, properly respond to much of this because the first rule of guest relations is that you don't want about guest relations.  

I can't go and say "Well, one thing that *might* be a concern is ... blah" without people thinking I am referring to any one person in particular.  At this point, if I say anything, people are going to think it is a *wink wink* *nudge nudge* hint that this is a consideration with a potential guest recently mentioned in this thread.  

Trust me, I even make the vaguest comments and people come up to me saying things like "I'll keep it on the down low, but I caught you drift that blah-de-blah."  And then that person tells a bunch more and I have a whole group who think they are in on some sort of secret about a Guest or a staffer.  

But, I will say that rumors and assumptions DO NOT HELP.  One person was trying to shed a little light on things and people are taking it the wrong way.  This is not something where we have have a proper, open discussion about.  If I try to even mention more items ...

Okay, imagine people are trying to figure out what is in my paper sack.  People ask me if the object in the bag is red.  I say no.  People ask me if it's a bunny.  I say no.  People ask me if it's a marker ... and I go silent.  People then think they are onto something.  Do yall understand?  I can't even talk about the non-problematic aspects of things without people figuring out, or thinking they have figured out other stuff.  

So, the only real way to keep the object in the bag a secret, as it needs to me, is to answer NO questions.  I understand your concerns, but I cannot properly respond to them.  The fact that I can't is frustrating to me, as I spend LOTS of time trying to answer as many questions about the con as I can and demystify much of how stuff works.  I want people to understand the hows and why of this con.  I will talk your ear off on many topics.  I've done panels on how we work.  This is an area where I can only give half the info at best, and only having half the info leads to a really skewed picture.  

Okay, I think I have said this in enough ways and that people should be able to understand my point.  

I likely made a mistake by ever speaking up in this thread at all.  In the future I will try to make sure the policy of simply not repsonding at all, no matter what people are saying, is more carefully followed.  

I am sorry if I sound grumpy, but imagine if people were saying things about you and your staff and you could not really respond?  I may be overreacting and making things worse.  If I am, I am very sorry.  I've been working on the con for an average of a couple hours a day for a few weeks now.  I really wish I knew how to channel some of the passion people have for Kcon in this thread into more constructive things and people helping out; in the past I have been able to do that.  Now, I just seem to be messing stuff up.

So, I am going to attempt to just back out of this thread.    
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline crystalamaris

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2010, 12:10:30 am »
Okay. Having met Vic on a couple of occassions (SCon '08, and '10) I can tell you that, yes, he's a nice guy. But even nice guys have their moments. One HUGE warning to you, should you ever meet Vic. Want to keep him from getting mad or "mean"? Don't mention to him anything reguarding yaoi. He is firmly against yaoi and is not afraid to voice it. So yaoi-otakus? Keep your fantasies hidden, and you'll get along just fine with Vic. (Besides... watching him throw a dodgeball at Troy Baker was just plain funny... he missed. lol)

Now, with that said, here's my suggestions, although they've already been said. I just want to get my opinions out.

Scott McNeil: Perhaps I've wanted to meet him ever since watching Gundam Wing, but I honestly want to meet him!

Greg Ayers: Voices so many of my favorite characters, like Satoshi from DNAngel and Son Goku from Saiyuki. I highly support his ideals. (Dub before sub. Help our local companies keep going.)

Yuri Lowenthal: The english voice of Asch and Luke from Tales of the Abyss. As a Tales of holic, I really want his signature, and to record his voice so I can listen to it... a lot.

Richard Ian Cox: Yes, he is one who I'd want to meet, although I'd have to get two of his signatures, because my sister is obsessed with Inuyasha and Ranma1/2

While I'd also suggest Johnney Yong Boch (please excuse my spelling) I shall attempt to make it to AkiCon instead. Though I suppose there's always next year.
Besides that, I have no others. However, I shall patiently wait for the guest to be announced.
Not quite here, but not quite there.

Impromt photographer (Watch out. I like taking pictures of people who are not ready.)

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2010, 01:59:49 am »
Don't mention to him anything reguarding yaoi. He is firmly against yaoi and is not afraid to voice it. So yaoi-otakus? Keep your fantasies hidden, and you'll get along just fine with Vic. (Besides... watching him throw a dodgeball at Troy Baker was just plain funny... he missed. lol)

I know some people won't be happy with me for saying this but I feel like someone should: I feel like inviting one of the most (if not the very most) famously anti-yaoi members of the American anime industry seems to be sending the wrong messages. Kumoricon is really queer-friendly and some of Vic's... speeches... about yaoi that I've watched on youtube seemed to carry a pretty heavy homophobic undertones. There are a lot of wonderful, talented people who work in the anime industry; I'd prefer if we didn't go out of our way to galvanize the ones who were bigoted towards a major demographic of the convention...

And I'd like it if people tried not to tangent with this. If you have opinions about this maybe someone could start a separate topic. Or if you just want to say something directly in response, feel free to PM me.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2010, 03:05:57 am »
He's not homophobic

I watch his videos too, and in one he told the audience that everyone can be what they want to be into, its just that he personally isn't into it

He just considers it against his religion. *shrugs*

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:12:38 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2010, 04:55:32 pm »
I'm not religious but well Yaoi just starts my ick factor but that's just me. And by the way I'm not homophobic if anything I believe gays and lesbians are human beings who deserve the same measure of respect as the rest of us. Vic just doesn't like yaoi, that's just how it goes. Getting back on subject how about some more guest requests?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:02:58 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »
Hmm, I randomly feel like nominating someone we'd never manage to get in a million years, just to see how many people will back it. Sooooo...

I nominate Puffy. (The band.)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »
I totally agree! Hai Hai Puffy Ami Yumi was such a cute show and it made me LOVE those girls!

And it feels like its time to update the ole' list!

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=11430.msg507781#msg507781

Keep'em comming folks! The more votes we get the more we know you want!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2010, 08:17:31 pm »
I totally agree! Hai Hai Puffy Ami Yumi was such a cute show and it made me LOVE those girls!

~Allykat

Oh my god, yes! I loved that show when I was younger, even though my sister often criticized me for watching since I'm a guy and all. I still love their music to death though, even with the show just up and disappearing from America.

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
I add another vote for Puffy, I remember doing Ami for Halloween even before it was aired on TV. XD

(@Shout: what you talking about fool? I didn't criticize you, not that I remember at least... ???)[if your wondering we're bro and sis(muhaha~)]

I would love for some voice actors, preferably Japanese but Dubbers work too. If I could get any Japanese voice actor it would be... Fumiko Orisaka, and if it was a dubber... it would be johny young bosh or Michelle Ruff(think thats how you spell her name..)

And Also Little Kuriboh, which has been said a few times, he also has my vote~
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:51:15 pm by 7bijou7 »
Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

Offline ChibiGrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »
Vic Mignogna: He's been known to go to many different cons and it always popular! He would be a great person to boost reputation, as mentioned earlier, and draw hoards of fans. He is a popular voice actor, most well known for being Edward Elric in the Fullmetal Alchemist dub.
(Ironic thing, I don't really like dubs. Including the FMA dub. XD)

LittleKuriboh: I apologize for not knowing his real name, but scare people do! LittleKuriboh is an internet femanon among otaku as he is the founder of the infamous "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series." His panels are popular and hilarious and he makes a great addition to any convention. Granted, he lives in England, he has been known to come to America (especially lately) for anime cons.
Best way tp get a hold of him is probably his web site: http://yugiohabridged.com/
~Kumoricon 2011~
Ciel Phantomhive
Vincent Valentine
Oz Vessalius (Maybe)

Offline ChibiGrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2010, 06:10:31 pm »
We can recommend bands...?
I put a vote in the way of Gackt! I love him! Hoshi no Suna is beautiful!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:29:02 pm by ChibiGrace »
~Kumoricon 2011~
Ciel Phantomhive
Vincent Valentine
Oz Vessalius (Maybe)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »
Rathany, I know you're trying to back out of the thread kind of and avoid any more issues, but i do have a question regarding... policies, I guess? and as far as I know, I don't think it'd be a problem to respond to this, whether you can answer it or not. 

I'm using Johnny Yong Bosch as an example here, but any VA or other guest who's already attending a nearby con would work.  Since we know he's busy for 2010, is it at all possible to invite a guest for a 2011 con before the 2010 con has gone by?  (I will throw in that I would love, love, love for JYB to be at Kumoricon, and I can't make Akicon under any realistic circumstances because of school and timing and location NOTCOMPETITIVENESS... Just like I'm sure another fan of a would-be guest would be disappointed if they couldn't make a nearby con and yadda yadda.  I completely understand why it'd be in bad form to invite him - or someone else - when he's already attending another nearby con, so is it also inappropriate to invite people far into the future?)  Particularly if I could have a few of my other (LEGITIMATE, POSTING, REAL) friends come in and offer that they'd also really like to see him and increase the tallies a bit?  And I am asking about a hypothetical situation here, using a real person... Not AHURRR DEPENDING ON THE ANSWER WE'LL KNOW WHAT GUESTS ARE COMING!!!

If there are reasons why you can't respond to this "properly" or whatever, that's fine, and I understand... But for my sake because I am a nervous wreck 100% of the time, I'd really appreciate if you'd leave a comment saying something to the effect of "I've read this, but it's top secret business."

Thannnks. |D

Also, for real content... I don't think he's been suggested yet, but Steve Staley?  I'm not too familiar with all these crazy newfangled animes, but his wikipedia list is pretty extensive and includes characters from Naruto, Magic Knight Rayearth, Code Geass, and tons of other things... though on the video game side, which I'm *much* more familiar with, he's voiced Crow from Fragile Dreams, Jay from Tales of Legendia, Fayt in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and plenty more.  I don't remember if others have mentioned him, but as far as I know he seems to be a little more obscure despite his experience all over the place, and so he's maybe not already booked though I think people would really appreciate having him. 

Also, uh, guys?  Kumoricon is *very small.* It'd be *really cool* to get some big name people from way over in Japan to come here, but it's already been mentioned there are language barrier issues (and your experience watching anime without the subs doesn't count), not to mention MONEY, and Gackt would probably laugh in our faces if we considered inviting him.  Or someone else equally popular.  Obviously the scenarios are very different, but can you imagine us trying to get someone like Lady Gaga at K-con?  It's just not possible.  I even almost feel like some VAs are going to be a bit of a stretch this year, but then again I don't see the budget right in front of me.  I guess there's no harm in suggesting certain people, but don't get your hopes up.
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »
While I don't know what Dawn will say, if she says anything on this; I can add a "Why I don't think this would ever really be possible" in case she doesn't feel like communicating it herself or can't (She is quite a humble little bumble!)

While it would be super cool to have guests planned in advance for future conventions, there are three key problems I as a bystander see with this theory;

1. Dawn has way lots on her plate trying to get guests and stuff THIS year... = please don't kill Dawn!

2. Some of the agents for these guests wont do books longer than a year in advance for many many reasons. In fact, some of them wont even talk to you until you know where you are going to be and what kind of accommodations you will be offering them I bet (this isn't first hand knowledge, but I have a friend with an agent who is very picky about what is in the contracts before she even negotiates!)

3. Taking the next years Guest Relations Directors job. This isn't a pride thing; this is a contact thing. Changing contacts is always a messy, bad idea. People in the professional industry, for one reason or another, do NOT like to have to change contacts. When we elect a new Relations Director, that person takes on all the responsibilities and the promises of the previous directors. This can lead to mis-communications and broken/unforeseen obligations with future guest bookings.

*shrugs* I dunno, in my head it would be cool to know who we wanted to book for next year and get right on booking them as soon as it's possible. But I know how much work goes into just trying to communicate with hotels we plan to give monies to... and believe me... it's no walk in the park. So I take no job as easy and try to add nothing to anyones plate :)

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline kai-chan

• Cabbit
    • Kawaii Factor
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »
I wasn't trying to make it sound like the con staff isnt working or trying. Its obvious that there are other factors such as money, personal requirements and such for getting a person to come to the con as a guest, I just didn't care for the post from the Admin with "its stale if there is same guests at multiple cons near by." (California and Washington) thats all.

Offline kai-chan

• Cabbit
    • Kawaii Factor
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »
While I don't know what Dawn will say, if she says anything on this; I can add a "Why I don't think this would ever really be possible" in case she doesn't feel like communicating it herself or can't (She is quite a humble little bumble!)

While it would be super cool to have guests planned in advance for future conventions, there are three key problems I as a bystander see with this theory;

1. Dawn has way lots on her plate trying to get guests and stuff THIS year... = please don't kill Dawn!

2. Some of the agents for these guests wont do books longer than a year in advance for many many reasons. In fact, some of them wont even talk to you until you know where you are going to be and what kind of accommodations you will be offering them I bet (this isn't first hand knowledge, but I have a friend with an agent who is very picky about what is in the contracts before she even negotiates!)

3. Taking the next years Guest Relations Directors job. This isn't a pride thing; this is a contact thing. Changing contacts is always a messy, bad idea. People in the professional industry, for one reason or another, do NOT like to have to change contacts. When we elect a new Relations Director, that person takes on all the responsibilities and the promises of the previous directors. This can lead to mis-communications and broken/unforeseen obligations with future guest bookings.

*shrugs* I dunno, in my head it would be cool to know who we wanted to book for next year and get right on booking them as soon as it's possible. But I know how much work goes into just trying to communicate with hotels we plan to give monies to... and believe me... it's no walk in the park. So I take no job as easy and try to add nothing to anyones plate :)

~Allykat

well a recomendation box during the con could be awesome. Like during the 2009 kumoricon take recomendations for people for next year (2010) and that way we can get those people who 1) have to know where they would be, (since you already know where you will be cuz we are at the same evil hotel). and 2) you can already start bargainming/haggle their requirements to coming over as our guest for the next year.

and as of changing the guest relations director, you could always have a default email/ phone # just for that job therefor the problem with changing contacts is gone.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37:20 pm »
Oh, I totally understand your sentiment, I apologize if my statement of staleness offended you, my personal opinion is clearly not wide felt, and I do apologize, beyond that, I'll say nothing on the subject.

A recommendation box is a cool idea, putting it at the info booth or something is definitely something we could bring up and look at.

And with the contact thing; I apologize if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean as a method of getting in touch with a person, I meant more specifically the person they are contacting. This can either be a positive or negative change and sometimes companies or agents will try and play on a new contacts lack of information in order to gain more or get out of unsavory parts of a contract. This is all common business issue, but for us it makes more sense to keep contacts fresh unless absolutely necessary. Of course, if we ever move to a different term length or we get lots of people in any department, these issues may be non-existent or smaller. For now as a smaller convention, we play the cards we are dealt as far as I can see.

Kai, I'm not the Relations Director, I can only give you insight as I see it from my expertise, so take everything I say with that grain of salt, knowing I come from a different department. But I want you to feel and know that we are talking to you and we do hear your comments and concerns. Please don't think of my answers as the end all be all of the staffs position on ANYTHING. We all have our own point of view on any given situation. I appreciate your concerns though, It's good to know people care so much about whats going on with Kumoricon.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2010, 04:00:02 am »
Um... so far Relations has not been able to plan more than a year in advance.  We need to get to a place where that can change.  For me to even start working on 2010 as soon as elected for 2010 I had to get special permission.  Basically, I need to start spending money before we have a budget.  To do things even sooner is even more complicated.  How to ease problems like this is something the board is actively talking about. 

Right now I have a huge lump of work putting certain things to bed.  Once things are calmer, I can devote more brainspace to the multi-year problem. 

Just to be clear, no one thinks that we shouldn't plan more than a year in advance, but coming up with the hows, whys the limits and ensuring smooth transitions between directors/boards needs to be worked out.  Passing commitments onto new boards/directors has caused problems in the past.  (Don't ask me what problems, I wont tell you ;))  We need to figure out how to plan multi-year and do it right. 

Basically, we need to spend hours having boring meetings and going over what-ifs and blah-de-blah... It's kind of like cleaning one's room.  Once it's done, everything is better.  But getting it done sucks ;) 

Right now I am specifically the "Kumoricon 2010 Relations Director".  I can only talk 2010 commitments with people. 

But, beyond policies, documentation, etc, we need to start getting to the point where Relations has more people coming back and doing the same job year to year.  That kind of stability really helps the department and the con overall.  We are moving towards that.  This is part of why I am trying to get people who are interested in being trained on Relations to shadow me at con and see how the back end of it all works.  We start getting people coming back and being a liaison, dealers staffer, etc year after year, things start running smoother and we can start having the ability to do more complex and multi-year things in every section of Relations. 

It's 4AM and I am rambling.  Likely a bad thing.  I think I am off after bed. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2010, 01:46:01 pm »
You mean like having staff that stay staff Dawn? Why in the world would you want staff?

I love you dawn, you make things sound so much prettier than me!

~Ally
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline SoulReaperMaggie

• Oni
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »
People who I would be delighted to see would be:

Vic Mignogna: Fantastic voice actor, from the looks of his schedule he's free Labor day weekend.

Travis Willingham
Caitlin Glass
Grey Ayres
Todd H. (I don't recall his full last name...)
Johnny Bosch
Stephanie Sheh
Wendy Lee
Crispin Freeman
Kumoricon 10:

I will be cosplaying as:

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
I'd have to say, having Vic Mignogna, Kirk Thorton, and Crispin Freeman would all be amazing.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2010, 02:45:46 am »
You mean like having staff that stay staff Dawn? Why in the world would you want staff?

*blinks*  Wow, I was dead tired when I wrote that and thought that I hadn't posted it.  I thought I scrapped it so I could post when I was awaker. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline NyappyNana

• Cabbit
« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2010, 11:48:35 am »
This is probably impossible but it would be awesome if DJ Sisen could be there~ lol
K-con 2010~
Day 1 - Vocaloid~ Hatsune Miku 95%
Day 2 - Kuroshitsuji ~ Black 90%
Day 3 - Kuroshitsuji ~ Sebastian 95%

Offline vineboy33

• Cabbit
    • Oregon J-Rock fan page
« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2010, 01:55:04 pm »
We can recommend bands...?
I put a vote in the way of Gackt! I love him! Hoshi no Suna is beautiful!
I understand the Gackt is only a dream for kumoricon. But I could think of many smaller bands who might think about coming to Portland.
Versailles is having a world tour and has not announced any American dates yet. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to throw in a offer to come to America and play.
NYAPPY

Offline ShOrTUrUhA

• Cabbit
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:23 am »
id love to see versailles or Sug play at k-con, i think we deserve a good japanese band to play for us.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:48 am »
So i dont know where to post this but who is djing for the dance because you should get jimni cricket again.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »
Just because I remembered some other people I'd like to see:

Johnny Yong Bosch
Little Kuriboh
Josh Lesnik (webcomic artist, creator of Girly)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:12:49 pm by thesirensings »

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »
I'm starting to figure you need to book bands wayyy ahead of time. I was about to suggest VAMPS (since I think they played near here? Or maybe just in cali) but they have a concert in NY in September...

Yuuya (Matsushita) would be neet since he's not insanely popular yet, but that's probably just a personal favorite c': Not to mention he's really busy in July so probably won't want to schedule anything

I'm afraid if we get a band well-known, more people will come that aren't regulars, and we'll cap reg early again, but this time with a huge group of extra people. And I'm afraid if we get someone nobody knows, they'll be underappreciated xD

and there's my input
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:24:46 pm by Hazuza »

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »
Lynna Dunham. She's a former VA who lives in the Portland area...although there may be an issue with most of her works being hentai, but hey, it's not like they show clips during their Q&As.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »
I just thought of a band

Has anyone ever heard of the Black Mages?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:07:06 pm by Raveen92 »
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Klepto

• Cabbit
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2010, 02:23:44 pm »
Hai Hai Puffy Ami Yumi Sounds good to me too. And Gazette.

(Sorry, haven't had the internet for a while to be able to check this thread. D=  )

The Slants have mentioned repeatedly that they would really love to play at Kumoricon, and I am sure there are a lot of otaku that would enjoy the music. You can rest assured that their stage presence is plain awesome. They also recently came out with their new album, and I think this would be another great way to promote. They are all very nice too. If we can't have them as a guest, could we at least have them in the Exhibitor's Hall?

I noticed that the GoH page on the official K-con site is still empty, and it is already the middle of May. Any idea on when we will have some more info on who has been invited as GoHs? My group of friends and myself like to start planning way ahead to know what panels and events and such we will attend. (Since we are all cosplaying together, we like to show up in group)

Offline tequilafuentes

• Oni
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »
Hi all,

A friend and I saw Phoenix Ash, a rock band from the Bay Area, CA, at Aki Con in Everett, WA. They were awesome and I know they would love to come back to the Northwest and hit as many anime cons as possible. The band would be a great addition to your guest list. I posted their myspace link below so you can check them out. Thanks for listening!
++++++

http://www.myspace.com/phoenixashmusic

Offline Riji-chan

• Oni
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »
I have a recomendation! He's a voice actor and the creator of D-Grayman Abridged series on Youtube.....TehExorcist!

I actually know him personally, he'd be really easy to deal with and he's local. He's not Littlekuriboh but hey! He still has an awesome abridged series and he's really funny. Sooo...

LET'S GET TehExorcist AT KUMORICON 2010! :D

Offline Raksha

• Oni
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2010, 09:48:15 pm »
I have three sugestions as far as guests. I could pick just one, sorry  :-[

1. The leetstreet boys.  ;D They're an anime band and a really good one. They're already going to a bunch of different cons to perform so why not come to Kumoricon, right?  ;)
This is ther website:

http://www.leetstreetboys.com/

2. kellyjane and tealpirate a.k.a. Jenxthejinx a.k.a. the demyx time crew ^-^

3. Vic Mignogna. I've seen videos of him on youtube and he seems like he'd be a great choice. ^-^

Offline CrimsonHime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »
Demyx time!!!
MasakoX and Vegeta3096 (naruto abridged)
English Gaara voice
AX- Aqua (kh), Sakura Haruno
Kumoricon 1- Sakura Haruno, Gaara, Raver Sakura/Gaara, Aqua(KH), Lolita, whatever else I come up with.

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »
I'd like Kirk Thorton again, since I didn't get to go last year. Or perhaps David Kaye. <3

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2010, 09:09:11 pm »
Actually emasik, Kumoricon is the only convention as far as I know Kirk Thornton goes to so you're in luck

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »
emastik. . i love you. We need David Kaye. . .YESSSS!!! Make him sing the rubber duckie song ^^
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2010, 02:38:59 am »
Voices of,
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

-shot-
Sorry if this is considered spamming
but i would also like Aaron Dismuke or Caitlin Glass
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:44:52 am by Teddy_Bearxx »

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2010, 12:13:09 am »
Johnny Yong Bosch and/or Vic Mignogna!!
I'd just LOVE to see at Kumoricon this year!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:14:52 am by agpgirl »
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu