Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2010 Director of Programming  (Read 28162 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Candidate Q&A - 2010 Director of Programming
« on: September 12, 2009, 06:05:34 pm »
Do you have questions for the candidates for 2010 Director of Programming?  Ask here.
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2010 Director of Programming
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:33:49 am »
What would be mini events planned for the future?
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:20 am »
I seem to have a lot of questions I didn't know I had....

1. With regard to the impending attendance cap, as well as the lower than projected income we had this year (as it has been alleged though I don't know the numbers) which limits your ability to fund programming
and events, how do you plan to organize the convention events and panels in a way that utilize the
money alloted with out frivolities and still gives the Convention a lot to offer to it's attendees.

2. In coorespondance with the previous question, things will obviously have to be cut due to space and
time constraints as we saw this previous year. What are your tentative or preliminary thoughts on
events or panels that either were not worth the money and space, or took too much time out of the
convention attendant's and volunteers time so that they might be on the chopping block for k-con 2010?

Thanks!
~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
What would be mini events planned for the future?

Mini-events are usually planned by a committee, and not just me :), so it's not just one persons call.  There has already been some discussion of another K-lite event, and the idea of one outside dance has been tossed around (but that is dependent on people/location).  Other events we've helped with in the past, and hope to do again, is Keep Portland Weird (cat ears) and the Eugene Asian Festival (cat ears and mini-con).  There has also been some discussion of an 21+ event for some of our older attendees.

Our mini-events are usually generated by interest... someone says "hey, how about this", and people chip in.  And that is pretty much what makes an event happen... people volunteering to help plan, or to work it.

1. With regard to the impending attendance cap, as well as the lower than projected income we had this year (as it has been alleged though I don't know the numbers) which limits your ability to fund programming
and events, how do you plan to organize the convention events and panels in a way that utilize the
money alloted with out frivolities and still gives the Convention a lot to offer to it's attendees.

Well, Programming has never really had a huge budget, so hopefully it won't be hit as hard :)  If there is a decrease in budget, what will most likely be affected are the crafting panels (supplies can be spendy), and any panels that have an associated cost with the hotel (Ouran HC Tea Party and the Sake tasting).  Both of the latter had tickets to purchase that helped to offset the cost, but they were still an impact on my budget... it could be that the cost would have to go up, or they would need to be limited.

2. In coorespondance with the previous question, things will obviously have to be cut due to space and
time constraints as we saw this previous year. What are your tentative or preliminary thoughts on
events or panels that either were not worth the money and space, or took too much time out of the
convention attendant's and volunteers time so that they might be on the chopping block for k-con 2010?

Space constraints is going to be the limiting factor on panels... the rooms held much less than anticipated.  I am hoping that we will be able to keep the same number of rooms, so that we will not lose too much, but things are still being dissected and discussed.  As for which panels may get cut... I am working with my panels coordinator to determine which panels from last year had the draw, and which didn't.  Since the majority of our panels are fan run, it is difficult to say "this panel is going to be cut"... they may not submit again this year. 

Sorry for being kind of vague.. but with the way we do panels, it's hard to say what we will have and what we won't so early in the game. I typically don't get panel forms in until spring/summer.  We hope and try for a variety (I really like to have a little something for everyone), so that will be a determining factor in what may or may not get cut.  Last year, all panels were accepted... that most likely will not be the case this year.

I hope that I answered some of your questions :)  If there is anything you want clarification on, or something major I missed, let me know.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:16:34 pm »
Actually, I do kinda have a follow up;

So, I am unsure if you are responsible for activities like the Dances and the Bands and things, are those
a part of the Programming budget or are those in a different section of the budget? I know relations
is probably the one who would book the guests like bands, but putting those events on would still be
considered a part of the programming yes?

I am assuming those events cost us more than just booking the guest. Of things like that (Concerts and
Dances) where stage, lights, and DJ's are required, how likely do you think it is that multiples of those
kind of events (meaning bands and dances, or 2 different dances in one night, and other dances durring
the off season) will be a part of the programming budget or will the be toned down in favor of more panels
and better set ups for big events like Cosplay and Skits, AMV's and the like.

Maybe I should just state it like this; In your big even programing, will you go for Versatility and Variety or
are you going to stick with the model of 2009, large events being mostly dances/concert and cosplay.
Or are you wanting to explore other, perhaps cheaper alternatives?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:55:10 pm »
Actually, the way we have things currently set up, these do not come out of my budget.  Relations is responsible for booking any bands or musical acts we have, so that has no affect on Programming. The Facilities Liaison runs Main Events, so there is the DJ's for the dances, and lighting and staging (which is used for other events as well).  So, the only affect of having multiple events is the time factor, and how that impacts the schedule.

Dances require a chunk of setup time, from the hotel needing to clear all the chairs out, to the DJ's setting up their equipment and any sound check they need.  Same is said of the bands.  So having multiples of these... that's a big impact on the schedule.

And just to clarify, the mid year events like dances and K-lite and such.. those are not part of the Programming budget.  Those kinds of outreach events are their own separate entity, and do not impact the con budget at all.

If we have the opportunity to place more panels in Main Events (like we did Kirk's dubbing panel, and the Cosplay Fashion Show), I'm all for it.. it is our largest room.  And as always, that is where our big events (AMV's, Cosplay) will be.  I'm not sure what you mean by better setup for those, though.

Personally, I am all for versatility and variety.. not everyone is an AMV fan, or lives for Cosplay.  I'm a firm believer in "something for everyone", which is why we have the Chibi Room (for under 12) and the adult programming (Sake tasting, 21+ karaoke, etc.).  Since a lot of the big ticket items (bands, equipment, etc) comes from other budgets, the limitations that Programming has is a) interest in running a panel, and b) time/space.  The rooms are smaller than anticipated, and we only have so many hours in a day, so that is going to drive content.  That, and people willing to step up and say "I want to run this panel", whether it's staff or attendee.

Offline iEspeon

• Oni
    • Nintendo Nsider2 Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »
Yeah, I have a few questions (keep in mind I'm aiming to work in the game room the most, but I'll work anywhere)...

1. If I just want to be a staff worker for the game room, do I have to be elected? Can't I just sign up/apply?

2. What sort of pre-resequites (sp?) do I need to have, if any?

3. Do I have to be a certain age?

4. What would you advise that I do in order to increase my chances of becoming a staff member of Kcon 2010?

Thanks! :)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »
Your questions can best be answered within the Get Involved board http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?board=17.0; However this reminds me of something that all too frequently happens...

Random directors reading this: How would you respond to an off topic set of questions like these?

My answer is:

1. Once the directors are elected you may fill out a staff form; Ask a director of the proper department to sign it (and in so doing receive their approval for your application) then pay your staff membership fee (still $10? or TBD?) to the treasury secretary.  Then your form gets entered in to the staff database and various accounts are created.  You are now a member of the staff in that position, and responsible for fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of that position.

2. Besides filling out the form, I -highly- recommend you read it and the other document archvie (http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=18)  and in the Get Involved forum area (http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?board=17.0) .

3. Yes, "Staff members must be at least 16 years of age. Staff members under age 18 at the time of registration must submit a staff
parental permission form."

4. Remaining polite, on topic, and trying to find those involved at regular meetings of the membership (they are open to the public).  Since you'll need to talk to the department's director anyway, you can find out who they are after the elections (if you didn't happen to attend; it's another public meeting.) here in the elections area, or by careful listening during a normal meeting.  Ask them about becoming involved with X (within their department) and if they can help direct you to more direct supervisors to see if you'd be a good fit.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline iEspeon

• Oni
    • Nintendo Nsider2 Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:57:23 am »
If those were off-topic questions, I didn't mean them to be. Sorry.

Anyway, thank you for answering. :) I'll be sure to look into those archives.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:46:37 am »
Thank you for all your support4craft panels.When you talk about their cost,are you referring only to the fan craft panels held in Creation Station (Plushie-Making [formerly known as Dolly-Making], Fandom Bears, and ChibiSplosion!),or also looking@other things offered in prior years even if not in this one (e.g., Masque-making, which several folks actually stopped by the CS looking for such); popular workshops in regular large panel rooms (e.g., cat ears & Persocom ears);& any unique crafts in the Chibi room?What would you like to see happen with the very popular, but occasionally relatively expensive, area of fan crafts programming?How do you feel about these possible recommendations: Reduce variety offered; reduce number of sessions total (or each); reduce number of attendees per session; ticket the panels; charge for the panels; buy large quantities in bulk, keeping surplus for future years; solicit product donations; solicit corporate sponsors (like how we in the CS get our markers free from Copic); have folks bring their own Bears to decorate; move towards having attendees make smaller items (e.g. Mouse's new chibis using perhaps 1/4 or less of the amount of felt of Derek's dollies/plushies per patron).How would you feel about my idea of having a Fan Crafts Coordinator (which I'd be glad to supervise under Creation Station Manager position)? Separately, would you prefer that we do or do not stay open later than 2 am for 2010? Thank you for everything; you are a goddess! The CS & I love you!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:47:28 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:31:54 pm »
(continued)How would you feel about these additional possibilities to keep Fan Crafts programming afloat (at least what we run in Creation Station, as I don't know the budget nor the logistics for the rest)?
--If we were willing to provide/fund/recruit from sponsors some of our own supplies, to cut con budget. (Of note: Since Beta Station 2004, we who are now Creation Station have always contributed our own stock of random items to help cut con budget while offering as many writing and art supplies and varied prizes as we can.)
--If we increase the extent to which we incorporate scraps left from other projects. For example, this year we we were able to use the leftover scraps from, I believe, the making of cat ears for mini-events. This bag of scraps yielded stuffing and decorative material for several of our panels, and did not cost the con anything extra to provide. It did, however, require someone to scavenge the leftovers (I personally did this at Asian Celebration in Eugene, picking them up off the floor and the cat ears tables, so I know it can be done, and even fun, but takes a lot of time, and physical agility to pick them up off the floor); and it did require someone to store the leftovers, and to remember to bring them to con and deliver them to the CS. Was that too much hassle, or could that be done again relatively easily? Are there other craft panels outside the CS that could also use recycled/reclaimed materials?
--If you believe we may have to move to charging for craft panels, what would it take logistically to do it?(We'd prefer not to.)
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
Waste reduction, sorting, and recycling is something that citizens of the united states are (thankfully) becoming increasingly used to.  It might not be a bad idea to have various boxes or small containers to pass around for specific types of 'scraps to recycle'.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
Waste reduction, sorting, and recycling is something that citizens of the united states are (thankfully) becoming increasingly used to.  It might not be a bad idea to have various boxes or small containers to pass around for specific types of 'scraps to recycle'.
I was able to (and had permission from Jaki to) simply dial #4111 from the phones in my rooms (Creation Station was in the Directors and Council rooms on the 3rd floor) and request that they bring recycle bins. Then whenever they were full I just called and they replaced them. It would be great if every panel room could have this, and every hallway (in a location that would not affect fire code). The bins took mixed paper, plastic, aluminum (but not glass).

Now of course saving materials from panels to reuse them for other panels is something different entirely. But also a good idea-- *if* Prog feels that it is worth providing staff time and energy and storage space to collecting, transporting, storing it, etc....which  is among my prior inquiries.

Is there anyone whose role in the con is looking at how we can "green" it (make it more ecologically sound)?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 06:45:52 pm »
Rem, when I'm talking about craft panels, I'm talking about any panel that requires supplies like that, not just those in Creation Station.

No, I would not advocate charging for those panels (the only panels we do charge for are those that have an associated hotel cost, as otherwise they are too prohibitive).  But limiting attendance (which the room size basically does), and limiting sessions (which we discussed, not doing more that a couple) help to keep costs down.

Obviously any donations help to offset the cost, but I wouldn't dream of asking staff to fund craft panels on their own.  We will have budget for them... we just may not be able to offer as many as before.

We do buy in bulk, on sale, and hold over from the year before... all of this is taken into account.  And saving scraps and re utilizing them as stuffing, that is something we have encouraged as well (and it is not a major extra step :D).

Recycling is something we all should be doing, and it's not much extra to do.  There's been talk of encouraging it more next year, but I don't know that it is a staff position, or where it will fall under (it's under discussion).

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:54:12 pm »
The question was brought up by random people, what about collecting bottles and cans from attendees to help put some change in the con's pockets?  No where that I saw was there any specific place for glass or cans for recycling.  Yes okay, there were the cardboard (why they hell do they use cardboard, counterproductive?) recycling bins.  These however are probably just going to be tossed into one big bin outside for recycling pick up.  How about Kcon make a program for recycling?  One person could run it and just use random people to help out with any physical labor during the con (I'm thinking a random yoji or two ^.^).  There are tons of recycling programs out there, and getting our name out as "friends of" them could possibly be done and help advertise the con.  

As for programing already in place, What will you directors do to help keep events that you dislike organizing but are still popular going?  I am most specifically talking about the Masquerade Ball, though others probably are too.  I hear a lot of bitching about a real simple fix to at least one of the problems, but people don't seem to care to get them set straight.  I do know you are all trying your best and hardest, and some things just don't get done because of time/resources/personnel to do it.  I realize we had no mask making panel, and the website might not have been super easy to find the info on dress code (but easily enough that I found the info in little time)  I would like to see the Masquerade Ball stay, and many others would too.  If we need a mask making panel for 2010, if no one else, I could help run it, and I bet there are people that loved it this year that would help as well.  Replies by all programing that ran this type of activity this year are welcome, thanks.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 07:03:55 pm »
The recycling issue was brought up at Rant and Rave.  Yes, there was a lack of it, and yes, we need to do better.  It is under discussion (but is not really a Programming issue).  I believe this would fall more under Operations or Treasurer.

As for programing already in place, What will you directors do to help keep events that you dislike organizing but are still popular going?  I am most specifically talking about the Masquerade Ball, though others probably are too.  I hear a lot of bitching about a real simple fix to at least one of the problems, but people don't seem to care to get them set straight.  I do know you are all trying your best and hardest, and some things just don't get done because of time/resources/personnel to do it.  I realize we had no mask making panel, and the website might not have been super easy to find the info on dress code (but easily enough that I found the info in little time)  I would like to see the Masquerade Ball stay, and many others would too.  If we need a mask making panel for 2010, if no one else, I could help run it, and I bet there are people that loved it this year that would help as well.  Replies by all programing that ran this type of activity this year are welcome, thanks.

If I were to kill off events that I dislike but are popular, there would be fewer events already ;)  That is not how it works.  We work to offer a variety of programming, but we are limited by time and space.  We only have so much time, and only have so much space to work with.. we are not going to magically create more.  When it comes down to deciding what events stay and which ones go, it's going to be based on feedback - if the majority say "yay, awesome event", then that is going to outweigh the few that grumble and complain.  And vice versa.. if the majority dislike the event or complain, then if we are in a tight fix, we have to reconsider the viability of the event.

As I've stated before (and in other threads): nothing is set in stone.  Nothing has been decided, and there is almost a whole year to go before we have final plans on events.  Yeah, the Masquerade may be one of the events on the chopping block, but it is by no means definite.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:14:16 pm »
Yeah, the Masquerade may be one of the events on the chopping block, but it is by no means definite.
/cry  ^.^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:22 am »
@ Masquerade--Perhaps we could keep the event, but hold it during the year, not at con?
@ collecting returnable cans & bottles, possibly a question for Facilities, whether Hilton would let us set up collection containers separate from their own garbage & recycling bins?
@ Jaki's reply: Thank you. I did figure you meant any panels, not just CS, but did not want to assume, and don't know anything about how much they cost to run.  I agree with it probably being more hassle than it would be worth (and being not desirable anyway) to charge for crafts panels.
@ limiting # of participants per session: I see this as one of the best benefits of dovetailing some of our CS crafts panels into Koop's RPG room's downtime, as we'd discussed. The room clearly can only hold 2 round tables @ 10/table. So this will eliminate some of the pressure on the room-watcher and panelists from attendees who insist we should be able to squeeze them into the room!
@ limiting # of sessions: Mouse made a rough estimate of how much it costs per person for each of our 3 CS crafts panels. Bears was most expensive (but would be $1/person less if we made it the case that folks had to bring their own stuffed animal; though how realistic that is would have to be checked on the forums). ChibiSplosion was least expensive--by an astonishing amount. By her estimation, it was only something like 25 cents a person or less! This is because the amount of felt per item is so small, and we were using scraps for both fillings and decorations. (Thank you for clarifying that collecting, storing, and transporting scraps is not too cumbersome! We really appreciate it!) The other benefit is the chibis can be finished during the panel; more fulfilling....So we could increase Chibi and decrease the others and keep budget the same or much lower!

oslapedo

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:32 am »
@ Masquerade--Perhaps we could keep the event, but hold it during the year, not at con?

I second this notion~ b

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »
you should just make a dance at con called " fancy dress dance" so that way every one will know the dress code
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 06:42:58 am »
Oh gosh, I was going to try and avoid bringing up the Masquerade. I am of the opinion at this point that even though I like the idea of it, it is simply not worth the con drama. Sort of a "this is why we can't have nice things" mentality.

Questions for Programming Candidates, that's what this thread is for....

Friday night content? I know that logistics are a whole different thing entirely, but is there a desire from you to have some content on Friday night before the con? Like maybe one panel room or a few viewing rooms?

Mini Events throughout the year. You mentioned they are done through outreach, but I'm sure you're involved in planning them. Is there any specific event you want to do again? Or maybe not do again?

Do you have an idea of how staff should balance their position with any panels they wish to run? For instance, should staff running panels also help with the panel staffers around that timeslot?

Do you think that the con could in any way formalize the cosplay group meet ups to avoid scheduling difficulties with panels related to certain anime?

When can panelists sign up for next year? (after elections... but then when?)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 11:08:01 am »
Along the line of Masquerade Ball:
* Do you think that would be a candidate for a 'pre convention' Friday Night event?
* Would you make it an 18+ event?
* As mentioned elsewhere (I forget where at the exact moment) would you rename it to something like 'Formal Dress Masquerade Ball' to make it easier for everyone to understand the rules?
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 01:38:22 pm »
Here's a question:
If you were not running Prog, what kinds of questions would you ask of the person who is? What kinds of suggestions would you make?
If you had the ability to do so, is there any part of the department you would restructure, redesign, reconceptualize?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »
Friday night content? I know that logistics are a whole different thing entirely, but is there a desire from you to have some content on Friday night before the con? Like maybe one panel room or a few viewing rooms?

The plan for this year was to have gaming and viewing up and running Friday night for those that pre-reged, kind of an incentive to pre-reg.  Gaming was open, viewing had some difficulties.  My hope would be to have both up and running for next year.

Mini Events throughout the year. You mentioned they are done through outreach, but I'm sure you're involved in planning them. Is there any specific event you want to do again? Or maybe not do again?

The mini-events are fun, but they can be a lot of work :)  I can see us doing another dance, but I would like to limit it to one, maybe in the spring.  And I would like to see us do something for our older attendees (since yeah, there are a few of us ;)).  I can't think of one we wouldn't do again, but it always comes down to time, finding a location, and bodies willing to help.

Do you have an idea of how staff should balance their position with any panels they wish to run? For instance, should staff running panels also help with the panel staffers around that timeslot?

I'm not sure what you mean by helping with the panel staffers... if they can help with setup with their own panel, that's greatly appreciated, but staff running panels need to concentrate on their panels.  They shouldn't be shanghaied into other duties when they have content to run.

Do you think that the con could in any way formalize the cosplay group meet ups to avoid scheduling difficulties with panels related to certain anime?

No, I don't believe we should formalize the meetups.  This year, we arranged to have copies of the photoshoot schedules at the Info Booth, but as these are arranged by the participants I believe that should be the extent of our involvement.  The shoots are held offsite, so we have no control over them, like we would if they happened in con space.  And if we did schedule them, we would run into the same problem of having stuff people wanted to do scheduled at the same time... there really isn't an easy fix to it.

When can panelists sign up for next year? (after elections... but then when?)

January :)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »
Along the line of Masquerade Ball:
* Do you think that would be a candidate for a 'pre convention' Friday Night event?
* Would you make it an 18+ event?
* As mentioned elsewhere (I forget where at the exact moment) would you rename it to something like 'Formal Dress Masquerade Ball' to make it easier for everyone to understand the rules?

Not necessarily.. we are still doing alot of setup Friday night, and while gaming and viewing are a simpler setup, a dance like that is a bit more work.  The only thing that would make it an 18+ event would be if it happened after curfew, and I would not be willing to run something after midnight on Friday night.

It was not called 'Formal Dress Masquerade Ball' because formal dress was not required.. it was semi-formal or cosplay.  I don't think that renaming it as such would necessarily make it any easier to understand that there is a dress code, or what it is.  We tried to make it as clear as we could this year.. it was on the website, it was discussed on the forums, and it was in the con book.

I second this notion~ b

This depends on what venue we find to have it.  A formal masquerade is not going to appeal to as many people as a generic dance.  If we can find a place that the rental cost is low, we can keep the price of admission down so people come.  But it's basically a balancing act: what event + where we have it = how many people come @ what cost.  We don't look to make money... we just want to break even so we can have more events :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:00:53 pm by Jamiche »

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
Here's a question:
If you were not running Prog, what kinds of questions would you ask of the person who is? What kinds of suggestions would you make?
If you had the ability to do so, is there any part of the department you would restructure, redesign, reconceptualize?

Everyone has been asking great questions, I can't think of one to add.  My suggestions would be to make sure there is a balance in the programming, and to not let personal bias dictate it.  Just because you may think that a certain event is the best ever, doesn't mean everyone else does too.  Not everyone is into Cosplay, or Gaming, or watching anime, so you need to take all interests into account when you are scheduling things.

As for Programming itself.. no, I wouldn't restructure or reorganize anything.  IMO, Programming has some great staffers, and things have run pretty well over the past couple of years.  I think we have a pretty good system in place, and I don't see any great need in messing with that system :)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:00 pm »
It was not called 'Formal Dress Masquerade Ball' because formal dress was not required.. it was semi-formal or cosplay.  I don't think that renaming it as such would necessarily make it any easier to understand that there is a dress code, or what it is.  We tried to make it as clear as we could this year.. it was on the website, it was discussed on the forums, and it was in the con book.

It was on the website under contests......... really need an "Events" tab on the main page.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:33:24 pm by camname21 »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »

It was on the website under contests......... really need an "Events" tab on the main page.

It was also on the schedule page that lists all the events. Everywhere on the web site that would inform you there was a masquerade ball, mentioned that there was a dress code.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:06 pm »
Ya but not everyone wants to dig through or likes forums.  If the main kumoricon page had an events tab, which would be an easy change, all the people who go to the main site, will see an events tab and likely look at it if it is there first time on the site.  Having it under contests tab it is less likely to get looked at, not everyone enters contests but everyone wants to know what events are going on at a convention.  Only if you already knew there was a Masquerade ball at kcon would you even look for it else where or at the forums.  The events page didn't even get all that information until a week before the con, the rest of the year it was blank and only found on the vary bottom of the contests page.  Two places that are near hidden at a casual glance does not equate to easy information.  An events tab of many of the things most likely to happen, and previously happened years before makes for a nice attraction.  I makes sense to me, if not to anyone else then its fine how it is.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
Everyone has been asking great questions, I can't think of one to add.  My suggestions would be to make sure there is a balance in the programming, and to not let personal bias dictate it.  Just because you may think that a certain event is the best ever, doesn't mean everyone else does too.  Not everyone is into Cosplay, or Gaming, or watching anime, so you need to take all interests into account when you are scheduling things.
I totally agree. I've had to do the same thing with CS. Events I loved but had smaller turnout have sometimes had to go by the wayside *sniff* :)
As for Programming itself.. no, I wouldn't restructure or reorganize anything.  IMO, Programming has some great staffers, and things have run pretty well over the past couple of years.  I think we have a pretty good system in place, and I don't see any great need in messing with that system :)
Seriously! I totally agree again. There *are* things the con has to work on, so, everything that's already groovin', let it keep groovin'! :) Quick query though: If panelist sign-up opens in January, does staff-sign up still open in November? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:31:59 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »
Yes.  Even though I would have panelist sign-ups not start until January, staff sign-ups should still start at the November meeting.

They really are two different things - you don't have to be staff to be a panelist.  We want to encourage staff sign-ups as soon as we can, but typically people haven't sent in panel forms until well after January.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 07:21:04 pm »
As usual, Pocky Club needs to know, what is your favorite flavor of Pocky.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:35 pm »
As usual, Pocky Club needs to know, what is your favorite flavor of Pocky.

Men's Pocky, or that yummy chocolate mousse stuff :)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:28 pm »
Just a couple quick things, if you have time, which I understand if you don't. What are the best ways to streamline getting panelists reimbursed for materials they buy for their panels? Would you forsee a move towards all materials being purchased by you or your assistant or managers, as being preferable?
Are there any either types of programming, or ways of structuring or administering programming departments, that you have observed at other cons, be they anime, sci fi, or other, that you would like to either emulate, or learn from and avoid? (You don't have to name names of other cons to reply :) )
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:50:28 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 12:28:02 am »
Just a couple quick things, if you have time, which I understand if you don't. What are the best ways to streamline getting panelists reimbursed for materials they buy for their panels? Would you forsee a move towards all materials being purchased by you or your assistant or managers, as being preferable? (Please see also email sent today, thanks and love!).
Are there any either types of programming, or ways of structuring or administering programming departments, that you have observed at other cons, be they anime, sci fi, or other, that you would like to either emulate, or learn from and avoid? (You don't have to name names of other cons to reply :) )

This is why my preference is that the con buys the supplies... rhe panelists don't need to pay out of their pockets, and there is no concern with reimbursements and lost receipts.

And overall, I'm happy with the way our content runs... I can't think of another con that we are wanting to, or needing to, emulate.  We may have hiccups each year, but we learn and fix them for next :)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »
This is why my preference is that the con buys the supplies... rhe panelists don't need to pay out of their pockets, and there is no concern with reimbursements and lost receipts.
I agree that streamlining can prevent momentary glitches in the long run -- so long as you, or your designated shopping squad (for which I'm already having fun envisioning the costumes!), feel you can comfortably allocate the time & the costs of transport. Perhaps panelists can do some of the legwork, such as researching the least expensive places to buy bulk quantities of the items needed for panels, and being precise in identifying products to be bought to save you time, and being precise in how we provide information on our budget forms. :) We could also review for you the quality of the products & whether the quantity sufficed, after each panel, to save time planning for the next year!
And overall, I'm happy with the way our content runs... I can't think of another con that we are wanting to, or needing to, emulate.  We may have hiccups each year, but we learn and fix them for next :)
Agreed!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:55:55 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:31 am »
Congratulations, Jaki Hunt!

As elsewhere mentioned, since the election has occurred, further questions may be asked as desired, but this "Candidate Q&A" is now closed.
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian