Author Topic: 2009 October 25!! Annual Meeting  (Read 61413 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
2009 October 25!! Annual Meeting
« on: September 12, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »
The Annual Meeting of the Altonimbus Entertainment Membership has been scheduled for October 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM in the Pavilion Room of the Portland (Downtown) Hilton at the corner of 6th and Taylor.

Preceding the meeting will be a "Hotel FAQ" led by Dawn Hewitt, at 12:00 PM.  This will be a one-hour educational session about the relationships between conventions and hotels and why we do or don't do certain things.  There will be a 30 minute break between this session and the meeting.

Agenda for the Annual Meeting:
Establish Quorum
Ratify previous minutes
Reports
-   Facilities Liaison
-   Publicity
-   Relations
-   Programming
-   Operations
-   Treasurer
-   Secretary
-   Vice-Chair
-   Chair
Unfinished Business (none)
New Business
-   Elections (President, Operations, Programming, Publicity, Relations)
-   Other new business (please email secretary@kumoricon.org if you have an item you’d like to present for a vote)
Good of the Order
-   Suggestions for Board-Elected positions
Adjourn.

If you cannot make it to the meeting, you may designate someone as your proxy by using this form.  Your proxy may use your vote however they wish, so choose with care.  Also, a person can hold proxy for only two other people.

See this board for nominations and suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:45:30 pm by kjayers »
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: 2009 October 24 Annual Meeting
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:28:02 pm »
Where?  Its not yet listed on the main site's calendar ether.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 07:37:29 pm »
We're still working on the location. We're aiming for the hotel but can't guarantee that yet.

Hold on--it'll be on the calendar later today. :) We've just barely solidified the date so it hasn't been updated in every place yet.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 07:43:33 pm »
And how did you get the date down?  Talking behind our backs for secret meetings eh? Damn board hehehe ^.^

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 07:55:42 pm »
The dates have always been set by the board for the general and annual meetings.

There are certain restrictions, such as:

The Annual Member Meeting must take place between 18 and 90 days after the convention. (During the month of October is typical for this, in practice.)
Any official Member Meeting must be on a Saturday or Sunday.
The Annual Member Meeting (but not all meetings) must be in Portland.

You can read our bylaws for more details on this. (See section 10.B in particular, though parts of the bylaws outside this section may have an impact on the requirements.)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »
Ah right in the bylaws, was more a joke I'm sure you understood.  And their talks being phone calls of convenience.  Anyhow, month and a half away, that sure gives some breathing room and time to figure stuff out so that's cool. 

Offline Gatomon02

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:34:25 pm »
I won't get off work till 2PM.  Hoping I can make it in time to throw my hat in for Promotions Manager again.  If I cannot make it though, how would I be able to throw my hat in for the position?

I gave you my heart.
You broke it.

I gave you my love.
You tore it.

You think you brought me down?
Heh.
Hardly.

You made me stronger.
Bolder.
And unforgiving...

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:51:45 pm »
Adam, I'm definitely mentioning you to Cassie for that position (or the new director if it is somebody else). To make doubly sure, you can send an email to publicity@kumoricon.org after elections.

Offline Gatomon02

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »
Thanks Jeff^^
I gave you my heart.
You broke it.

I gave you my love.
You tore it.

You think you brought me down?
Heh.
Hardly.

You made me stronger.
Bolder.
And unforgiving...

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 08:43:14 pm »
You can also have someone stand in for you, like be your avatar.  Just make sure they know how you want them to represent you.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 03:14:21 pm »
Two questions.

1) If this is done at the hotel, is there some way to work with the hotel so that anyone attending the meeting doesn't get slapped with ridiculous parking fees. 

2) What if there was a new position that one wanted to introduce?  Where/how would one go about that?
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:43:20 pm »
2) What if there was a new position that one wanted to introduce?  Where/how would one go about that?

You would let the relevant director know, after they are elected or appointed. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:54 pm »
Since I have been rallying on the forums for this, I have a new issue/new position I'd like to have put to a vote;

The Independent Bag Check and the position being Head of Independent Bag Check Operations
(or something along that nature)

Do I go about submitting this directly to the Secretary, or should I also follow this up with figuring out who would be the person higher in the command chain who would have control over the Bag Check?
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:28:17 pm »
I would also like to put in a request for serious thought that gaming (Tabletop and console) be made into its own section/department.

There are some strong reasons and arguments that I can put into why I believe this.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 05:29:36 pm »
Since I have been rallying on the forums for this, I have a new issue/new position I'd like to have put to a vote;

The Independent Bag Check and the position being Head of Independent Bag Check Operations
(or something along that nature)

Do I go about submitting this directly to the Secretary, or should I also follow this up with figuring out who would be the person higher in the command chain who would have control over the Bag Check?

This would likely go under Operations.  So, you'd talk to the new Operations Director. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 05:30:55 pm »
I would also like to put in a request for serious thought that gaming (Tabletop and console) be made into its own section/department.

There are some strong reasons and arguments that I can put into why I believe this.

You mean, combine them into one section?  Right now they are separate sections, both under Programming. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 05:33:16 pm »

You mean, combine them into one section?  Right now they are separate sections, both under Programming. 

I mean pull it from programming all together.  Again, I don't know the logistics/all of what goes on, but IMO give gaming its own director and take care of table top and console, then have programming be like panels, viewing and events.

GGPO

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 05:38:12 pm »

I mean pull it from programming all together.  Again, I don't know the logistics/all of what goes on, but IMO give gaming its own director and take care of table top and console, then have programming be like panels, viewing and events.

Well, you can propose anything you like.  You'd have to write up a detailed proposal and present it to the next Board at a meeting. 

Having a separate Gaming Director would not lead directly to more staff, budget or space.  I think you might want to think over what you are trying to accomplish and see if this is the best way to go about it.  Also, understanding our structure might help you.  Please look at the organization charts on the front page and read our new bylaws carefully before doing anything.  Basically, make sure you understand how we actually work before calling for change. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 05:40:49 pm »

Well, you can propose anything you like.  You'd have to write up a detailed proposal and present it to the next Board at a meeting. 

Having a separate Gaming Director would not lead directly to more staff, budget or space.  I think you might want to think over what you are trying to accomplish and see if this is the best way to go about it.  Also, understanding our structure might help you.  Please look at the organization charts on the front page and read our new bylaws carefully before doing anything.  Basically, make sure you understand how we actually work before calling for change. 

By no means would I believe it would make more staff budget or space appear.  But it would split programming duties up a bit.  Again, I don't know how Jaki feels on any of the proposals, but on paper, I think it would make things easier.

GGPO

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »

This would likely go under Operations.  So, you'd talk to the new Operations Director. 

So send the issue and my plans to the secretary and/ then talk to the Operations Director, or head straight to the new Operations director upon their election?

More over as it stands, I am not a member presently so would I again contact the current head of Operations to become a member before the October 24th meeting?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 05:51:43 pm »

By no means would I believe it would make more staff budget or space appear.  But it would split programming duties up a bit.  Again, I don't know how Jaki feels on any of the proposals, but on paper, I think it would make things easier.

As someone with a few years of upper-level experience with Kumoricon, to me it sound like that would complicate things needlessly.  Sometimes splitting things out makes it harder.  There is a weird split in duties between Publicity and Relations, for example, and this makes things more complicated, not less.  

But, if you want to go forward with this you will have plenty of time to learn our logistics and structures.  We'd have to schedule special meetings to even try to get something like this passed before elections.  So, this would likely be a proposal for the 2011 con, not 2010.  In my experience, any idea that the staff take seriously, gets proposed at one meeting and not voted on until the next.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 05:55:23 pm »

This has been discussed before.  Gaming, both Tabletop and Console, are under Programming.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 06:02:49 pm »

So send the issue and my plans to the secretary and/ then talk to the Operations Director, or head straight to the new Operations director upon their election?

More over as it stands, I am not a member presently so would I again contact the current head of Operations to become a member before the October 24th meeting?

Talk directly to the new Director of Operations.

There is not a way to become a staff member before elections.  To be a staff member for the 2008-2009 con year, you need to have worked as staff on the 2009 con ... and, well, Kcon 2009 is over.  Staff sign up ended at the last meeting before the con.  Anyone may speak at elections.  Voting rights must be earned.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:05:06 pm »

There is not a way to become a staff member before elections.  To be a staff member for the 2008-2009 con year, you need to have worked as staff on the 2009 con ... and, well, Kcon 2009 is over.  Staff sign up ended at the last meeting before the con.  Anyone may speak at elections.  Voting rights must be earned. 

Awesome, thank you Rathany. 
My main concern was would I able able to attend rather than voting, and now I know who to talk to.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »

There is not a way to become a staff member before elections.  To be a staff member for the 2008-2009 con year, you need to have worked as staff on the 2009 con ... and, well, Kcon 2009 is over.  Staff sign up ended at the last meeting before the con.  Anyone may speak at elections.  Voting rights must be earned. 

Awesome, thank you Rathany. 
My main concern was would I able able to attend rather than voting, and now I know who to talk to.

Oh, yeah, you can totally attend :)  It tends to be a looong meeting.  So, bring a book in case the ins and out of various issues wind up boring you.  You might be fascinated, who knows?  I was pretty overwhelmed by my first elections meeting :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 06:21:17 pm »
Oh, yeah, you can totally attend :)  It tends to be a looong meeting.  So, bring a book in case the ins and out of various issues wind up boring you.  You might be fascinated, who knows?  I was pretty overwhelmed by my first elections meeting :)

Haha, I'll probably just bring a note pad so I can keep track of who's who.  I'm pretty interested in seeing how this meeting goes.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »
@ Megannekko, i am jasmine nice to meet you!            so the 24th , i do hope It is some where with free parking
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 11:54:36 am »
I parked less than a block from the Hilton for only $6 for the whole day on con Saturday (though I did have to move the car before 1 am). Parking is not as outrageous as I'd feared!

I was wondering if there were any chance the meeting would be moved to Sunday?
Last year I believe it started at 11. This year it's starting at 1. I am much relieved it is starting at 1. Much easier on those of us commuting from far away. Thank you!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »
If we have the meeting at Hilton, NikeTown parking is 3.95 all day weekends.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Re: 2009 October 24 (??) Annual Meeting
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 02:40:55 am »
*** The Portland Hilton is not available on this date.  Depending on the venue chosen, the date MAY change.***
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:42:10 am by kjayers »
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 02:44:54 am »
*** The Portland Hilton is not available on this date.  Depending on the venue chosen, the date MAY change.***

I would be happy if it moves to the 25th. Or the weekend (17th or 18th) before or the weekend after (we could have a Halloween cosplay party?). Is there any talk of moving it to earlier than the 17th? That would be pretty rough for me personally (and I think we have to give at least 2 weeks' notice, right?).
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 04:00:34 am »
As awesome as it would be to have, first the staff meeting on halloween followed by a bitchin party, I have SERIOUS doubts that a lot of people would even show up due to other holiday plans.  However, maybe we could still have that bitchin halloween party.  Anyone want to organize one? Hehe, okay well i tried... 

Offline Faaedab

• Sailor Scout
    • My myspace
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »
To bring up the parking issues with the con itself for next year, would it be at all possible to talk to lloyd center and see if they would allow us to use their outside parking area as a park and ride? I did that at my own risk this year and it worked out amazingly well, it would just be nice if it were possible to do that without any fear of being towed, and the max took me within 2 blocks of the hotel so it worked out that way too. Just a thought though.
Working on my Reno cosplay. my hair is getting close to being long enough already w00t.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 06:20:25 pm »
*** The Portland Hilton is not available on this date.  Depending on the venue chosen, the date MAY change.***

I would be happy if it moves to the 25th. Or the weekend (17th or 18th) before or the weekend after (we could have a Halloween cosplay party?). Is there any talk of moving it to earlier than the 17th? That would be pretty rough for me personally (and I think we have to give at least 2 weeks' notice, right?).

The 17th/18th is the weekend of a Sakuracon meeting I believe, but may be wrong.

I'd like to see the meeting at the Hilton, but wherever is possible is fine too I suppose.

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 06:40:34 pm »
... (and I think we have to give at least 2 weeks' notice, right?).

According Article 10 of the new bylaws, date and time must be announced at least 10 days in advance, and the location must be announced at least 4 days in advance.  Certain restrictions apply to when and where the meeting can be scheduled in order for voting (such as election of officers) to take place.

See Article 10, Section B, paragraphs 4 and 5 for details.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:57 pm »
i would just like as much notice as possible i hate it when i can't make it due to date change or short notice
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 11:07:00 pm »
i would just like as much notice as possible i hate it when i can't make it due to date change or short notice

You're not the only one *wink* 

We'll do our best to get something solid ASAP.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 10:12:10 am »

You're not the only one *wink* 

We'll do our best to get something solid ASAP.

As someone who lives far from Portland and who frequently has weekend obligations (including spiritual practice), it is genuinely frustrating to have so little notice about meeting dates and locations and when those change. *sigh*

I guess I would like at least to know, if anyone knows, whether it is more likely that the date will no longer be the 24th, so that the meeting can be at the hotel; or if it is more likely that the date will remain the 24th, but the location will change.
Does anyone at least know which weekends are under consideration, or whether it is more likely to be on a Saturday or a Sunday?
Thanks and love!

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Re: 2009 October 25!! Annual Meeting
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 02:02:31 am »
Here's the final word:
The Hilton has available space on October 25, and the executive decision was made to take advantage of that. 

The annual meeting, including election of Member-Elected Board Positions, will be held on October 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM. 

Preceding the meeting will be a "Hotel FAQ" led by Dawn Hewitt, at 12:00 PM.  This will be a one-hour educational session about the relationships between conventions and hotels and why we do or don't do certain things.  There will be a 30 minute break between this session and the meeting.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 09:44:38 am »
You moved the date  :(  i had it in my schedule for sat the 24th, Now i hope i can attend it, As i was requested to do so by a few people in ops.
=^_^=

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2009, 03:46:23 pm »
Here's the final word:
The Hilton has available space on October 25, and the executive decision was made to take advantage of that. 

The annual meeting, including election of Member-Elected Board Positions, will be held on October 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM. 

Preceding the meeting will be a "Hotel FAQ" led by Dawn Hewitt, at 12:00 PM.  This will be a one-hour educational session about the relationships between conventions and hotels and why we do or don't do certain things.  There will be a 30 minute break between this session and the meeting.

Thank you! This is very exciting! I believe it is an excellent choice on the part of the Execs to hold this Q and A. Help folks who have been talking on the forums, speculatively, get grounded in the realities of what is and is not possible for a Facilities Liason or a Board to try to negotiate, etc. Really looking forward to it!!

Offline Shingami_lover

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47:45 pm »
What room is going to be held in?
~2016~
Sasuke Uchiha, Kanda Yuu
Touka, Michiru,
and Haha

~Panels~
Anime Court 16, 14, 13 - Chess Master 2014

DicePanda Cosplay, Cosplayers of Oregon, Brothers United Productions

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »
Will there be staff signups at this meeting? Or will that wait until the November meeting, as it did last year?
Thanks again, everyone, for finalizing this so quickly!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 04:54:44 pm »
Will there be staff signups at this meeting? Or will that wait until the November meeting, as it did last year?

The Staff-elected people will need to appoint the Board-appointed people and vote to okay the staff policies, or vote to make changes, before staff sign up can occur. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »

We'll let you know as soon as possible.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline Shingami_lover

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 06:33:54 pm »

We'll let you know as soon as possible.

Ok thank you
~2016~
Sasuke Uchiha, Kanda Yuu
Touka, Michiru,
and Haha

~Panels~
Anime Court 16, 14, 13 - Chess Master 2014

DicePanda Cosplay, Cosplayers of Oregon, Brothers United Productions

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 11:10:19 pm »
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2009, 11:52:29 am »

The Staff-elected people will need to appoint the Board-appointed people and vote to okay the staff policies, or vote to make changes, before staff sign up can occur. 
That's logical, thank you. I asked because some of the CS staff live in Washington and have to get time off for meetings, and wanted to be selective to attend one at which they could sign up again. :)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2009, 05:59:56 pm »
The Annual Meeting of the Altonimbus Entertainment Membership has been scheduled for October 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM in the Pavilion Room of the Portland (Downtown) Hilton at the corner of 6th and Taylor.

This is the big room to the right at the top of the pretty stairs from the lobby of the Main (not Executive) Tower.  In the elevator, it is the PL level.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »

This is the big room to the right at the top of the pretty stairs from the lobby of the Main (not Executive) Tower.  In the elevator, it is the PL level.

AKA Live 1.
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp