Author Topic: How do you introduce a new game?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
How do you introduce a new game?
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »
This is a con-related topic, but I have no place else to put it.

If anyone has some advice, how do you introduce a new game to the convention community?
My game some may know by the name of Epic Rock-Paper-Scissors, which is similar to the more familiar Final Fantasy Battle system.

The pros of my game:
-You get to battle others as your favorite character or the one you're cosplaying and use their abilities.
-You can take ANY character from ANY game and play them against another, and they will have an equally balanced chance to win.
-The core mechanic behind the game is a simple round of rock-paper-scissors, or think of a number between blah and blah and the other gets two guesses.
-You can choose to play to 5 or 10 points, or to as many points as you agree upon.
-You can agree to either gain points, or lose hit points (ex. winner scores 10 points or loser loses 10 hit points)
-chance determines who hits or misses, leaving the player to pick, compare, then play out the result. You don't get to decide if you're hit other than picking and hoping, but this also means that the battle can eventually come to an end. Even a game of 50 points (after an hour of endless play) can finally end.

The cons:
-It's not well known and so appears confusing to new players who aren't used to having to keep track of something or worry about winning or losing.
-because you track hit points/score points, and if playing a full game, a list of attacks and how many times you've used them, something the computer in a video game would handle for you, it looks like harder work than just playing around.

The question restated: How can I get my game out there and show how fun and structured it is?

My first attempt was at the convention, and I saw no avenue other than trying to hold a grand battle with a simplified version, and a skit to show the full function of the game. With a sign crew to make it look to the audience like what they see on the video games, then it should make more sense. So since my skit was a success but didn't carry the message, and the grand battle was canceled because I worked so much on the skit, what might be the next best option? A meetup? A panel? Please share your your opinions of the game?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:55:18 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: How do you introduce a new game?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »
I'm confused. ^_^; Can you explain the rules and play out an example battle for me?

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »
This is a con-related topic, but I have no place else to put it.

If anyone has some advice, how do you introduce a new game to the convention community?
My game some may know by the name of Epic Rock-Paper-Scissors, which is similar to the more familiar Final Fantasy Battle system.

The pros of my game:
-You get to battle others as your favorite character or the one you're cosplaying and use their abilities.
-You can take ANY character from ANY game and play them against another, and they will have an equally balanced chance to win.
-The core mechanic behind the game is a simple round of rock-paper-scissors, or think of a number between blah and blah and the other gets two guesses.
-You can choose to play to 5 or 10 points, or to as many points as you agree upon.
-You can agree to either gain points, or lose hit points (ex. winner scores 10 points or loser loses 10 hit points)
-chance determines who hits or misses, leaving the player to pick, compare, then play out the result. You don't get to decide if you're hit other than picking and hoping, but this also means that the battle can eventually come to an end. Even a game of 50 points (after an hour of endless play) can finally end.

The cons:
-It's not well known and so appears confusing to new players who aren't used to having to keep track of something or worry about winning or losing.
-because you track hit points/score points, and if playing a full game, a list of attacks and how many times you've used them, something the computer in a video game would handle for you, it looks like harder work than just playing around.

The question restated: How can I get my game out there and show how fun and structured it is?

My first attempt was at the convention, and I saw no avenue other than trying to hold a grand battle with a simplified version, and a skit to show the full function of the game. With a sign crew to make it look to the audience like what they see on the video games, then it should make more sense. So since my skit was a success but didn't carry the message, and the grand battle was canceled because I worked so much on the skit, what might be the next best option? A meetup? A panel? Please share your your opinions of the game?

Interesting concept, the only problem I see is in these two parts.

And taking that into account, thats just WAY too many characters and things that you would have to know in regards to each character along with abilities.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »
The flexible part is that you don't have to know or use all of their abilities. If you only know some, then that's all your character can use until you have time to study and train them. My full game gives you a list of moves, not all of which would be used by your character, depending on what they fight with.

And I will PM reppy a sample game.

I'm considering making this a non-profit TCG, and later a computer game so it's easier to understand and play.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:17:53 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi