Poll

Who agrees with me and hates Naruto as well?

I do.
6 (27.3%)
I don't.
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 03, 2005, 01:57:28 am

Author Topic: Do you hate Naruto as much as I do?  (Read 9138 times)

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
Do you hate Naruto as much as I do?
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:57:28 am »
Naruto...ugh! It's too popular, and it's very annoying how many people cosplay as Naruto characters. I personally think it's the next DBZ, with ninjas. I'll admit, they have a good range of characters. It just sickens me how many people like it. It's going to get MUCH worse when it's released on Toonami...dubbed...*shudders* You're going to see a lot more kids with metal headband thingies on their forehead at school.

Well, I MIGHT think of watching it if there was a bit more shounen ai in the series.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:36:02 am »
Hating something just because its popular.

LOL, what an idiotic principal of life.

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:03:55 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Hating something just because its popular.

LOL, what an idiotic principal of life.

i agree, when something is good, it tends to get popular
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
I like it not love it.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 07:29:30 am »
yeah no kidding... though the Naruto fans are well...overzealous and are very rabid when you mispronounce a name or even for diagreeing with them that they think Naruto is the greatest anime of all time, that's the only reason I could hate it... the fans.
Do you know who I think I am?

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:52:23 am »
Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from, but I don't think that's reason to dislike the series, but rather the "rabid fans". If it bothers you so much avoid exposure to those types more. It seems that's what's really getting to you anyway.
Personally, I try to ignore that sort of thing. I would rather not have a biased opinion of a new series based on what other people think of it. If you maintain that attitude you'll miss out on a lot of good films because as people above me have pointed out, the better a film/series is the more fans it will have.

BTW... is it just me or has anybody else actually seen the cosplay scene shift slightly from Naruto towards FMA? It seems that FMA has gotten rather popular with the cosplayers since the last con. I'm anticipating fewer Naruto cosplayers this time around (like we could really get many more anyways hehe).

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:41:15 am »
me personally I would rather just avoid the whole foaming mouth fans and just move on.  Sure you could just pass it up and miss out on it but with fans as bad as some Naruto ones...I don't want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes.  And personally, I'd like to see how you can avoid the rabid fans... they're everywhere...-_-;;

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:51:15 am »
Yes, the fans can be scary, but they're kinda funny to watch too. As far as the actual show goes, I think it may be a little overhyped, but it IS a good show when they're not showing you in the middle of an important fight the same flashback you've already seen ten million times ^.^;; Personally, I prefer the manga much more, the flashbacks are in the right spots and they don't have the "dbz syndrome" of staring and talking at each other for most of the episode, then do a few quick punches, then going back to staring and talking ^.^;; But yeah, those bits aside, I do enjoy the anime too.

As to the FMA thing, yeah, it definitely is gaining a lot of popularity. FMA is my favorite anime, so I'm glad to see it gaining recognition, means the merchandise will be easier to get and will be cheaper :P
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 10:30:48 am »
Naruto seems like it is pretty cool, but I have been hesitant to get into it partly because of all the rabid popularity.  But I am sure that eventually I'll start watching it and that it will be great because it is unlikely that a bad show has so many fans. :wink:

In regards to the huge amount of cosplayers doing Naruto stuff, I wouldn't call it annoying, but it was disappointing that there wasn't a wider variety of anime/manga characters getting cosplayed AND that people who had sweet costumes of more obscure anime/manga/game characters got completely overlooked when it came to hallway cosplay judging.  -grumbles-
The trick is not minding.

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^_^
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:07:49 am »
^_^;.......are you tryin' to start a debate or something?!?  i like naruto not because of its popularity, but because its actually a good storyline ^_^; but of course, you're entitled to your opinion ^_^
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline black marth 07

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 11:12:09 am »
I think narutos alright but not the greatest another words it don;t matter to me.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 11:20:21 am »
Wow, I picked a good topic to talk about. Most of the time I very very little posts in forums.

I think some of you are right. It's popularity is what turns me off from the series. It's not really as fun when you like a series that a very large percentage of every other otaku out there likes it to. I might watch the series once it's popularity dies down, but the series is already huge as it is, and the biggest series I've ever seen was probably Card Captor Sakura, which is like 70 episodes I believe. Magical girl anime and romantic comedies are more my scene anyway. I'm not really too big into action and such, unless it was either a) very well choreographed (sp?) and yet still isn't full of it or b) it's combined with a plot that's interesting enough and yet still isn't full of action.

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 11:21:45 am »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Wow, I picked a good topic to talk about. Most of the time I very very little posts in forums.

I think some of you are right. It's popularity is what turns me off from the series. It's not really as fun when you like a series that a very large percentage of every other otaku out there likes it to. I might watch the series once it's popularity dies down, but the series is already huge as it is, and the biggest series I've ever seen was probably Card Captor Sakura, which is like 70 episodes I believe. Magical girl anime and romantic comedies are more my scene anyway. I'm not really too big into action and such, unless it was either a) very well choreographed (sp?) and yet still isn't full of it or b) it's combined with a plot that's interesting enough and yet still isn't full of action.

((Geh, I thought I was automatically signed in. Normally I am. But that was me.))

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 01:08:02 pm »
As far as the actual show goes, I think it may be a little overhyped, but it IS a good show when they're not showing you in the middle of an important fight the same flashback you've already seen ten million times ^.^;; Personally, I prefer the manga much more, the flashbacks are in the right spots and they don't have the "dbz syndrome" of staring and talking at each other for most of the episode, then do a few quick punches, then going back to staring and talking ^.^;;

Oh I knoooow!!!  I hate it when that happens...  :roll:   it gets redendant.  But all in all it's good watch it when the hype dies down a little...though you have a loooooooong time to wait...^^;;

Offline khayman

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.teamarc.org
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 02:12:30 pm »
Quote from: "yuki-chan"

((Geh, I thought I was automatically signed in. Normally I am. But that was me.))

You sound a wee bit like an elitist.

I'll be watching Naruto soon. I just hate not understanding the references since so many people do watch/know/talk about it.

Usually it clues me into something I like though. Well sometimes. I never heard of Bleach before, went to Sakuracon, saw it plastered all over the place, so I watched it and now I'm just pissed because I ran out of episodes to watch lol.

Now if only Gungrave would get popular so I'd have people to talk about it with. I should go looking for a Gungrave board /sigh.
=SynthesiS= KHaYMaN
~Jeff

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 02:37:21 pm »
I dun see why a particular show popularity should affect how good a series(although it may indicate how good it is).  and if its just the fans that you dislike, I think that goes with the territoty.  some of the yaoi fangirls are pretty rabid(and turn anything into yaoi) for example.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 03:09:37 pm »
I dun see why a particular show popularity should affect how good a series(although it may indicate how good it is). and if its just the fans that you dislike, I think that goes with the territoty. some of the yaoi fangirls are pretty rabid(and turn anything into yaoi) for example.

Well it's because the rabid fans are pretty anul and are REALLLLLY snobby about it.  Just because they know all the episodes inside and out they put  little mmmm... causual Naruto watchers down because of it...and/or they're really rude about knowing so much about itand you don't.  That's the kind of people that leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.  And as for the yaoi fangirls... they...hmmmm well I stay away from that sort of thing, though a friend of mine is waaaaaay into that.  If I don't feel like listening or talking about that sort of thing I just tell her to get laid  :P ... most of the time it works... as for the rest of the fangirls... for guys, don't get caught in a dark hallway alone with another guy.  Almost always, one of you will give in... :P   And for the girls... either go with it or tell 'em to get laid.   :P

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 03:12:11 pm »
The yaoi/yuri fans scare me ^.^;;;
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
^_^;;;;;;;
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 03:17:14 pm »
Fear the YURI mooooooore... they'll jump you. T_T  Unless your ok with it then it's FUN!!  :P

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 05:09:15 pm »
im ok with Yuri <3
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline otakusan

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.otakusan.deviantart.com
Re: I like it not love it.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 06:35:52 pm »
Quote from: "Keyta-Kun"
yeah no kidding... though the Naruto fans are well...overzealous and are very rabid when you mispronounce a name or even for diagreeing with them that they think Naruto is the greatest anime of all time, that's the only reason I could hate it... the fans.

you think naruto fans are bad.......have you ever meet the eva elitists *shivers* they are scary, lol

POCKY!!!!!!!!!
0_0
0_o

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 07:02:57 pm »
I like the Manga better than the Anime. I can say that for just about any series I've ever seen/watched.

But not FLCL. I love the Anime better. Grrreeeaaaatttt Friggin' soundtracks too.

But I agree, just beacuse an anime is popular, dosn't mean it is'nt good. Look at Pokemon. I watched in in 2/3 grade, and I still cath a glimpse every now and then, in 8th grade. Everyone loved it. Don't lie. You thought Brock was cute. xD

And Kurimono is right. I can turn /anything/ into yaoi. >_> If you piss me off, I'll draw yaoi of you. So HA. -runs away-

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 11:14:40 pm »

The more people that like it, the more people you can discuss it with.

You base your dislike of Naruto based on popularity alone, and you havn't actualloy tried the story. How can you honestly form a valid opinion without having even experienced it?

I hate people like that, personally, not sure if anyone else here is like that.

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 03:30:40 am »

The more people that like it, the more people you can discuss it with.

You base your dislike of Naruto based on popularity alone, and you havn't actualloy tried the story. How can you honestly form a valid opinion without having even experienced it?

I hate people like that, personally, not sure if anyone else here is like that.

I dunno, I just like things that aren't extremely popular. I like things that are liked by few, not like "Oh! I love (such and such anime)." "Yeah, you and fifty million other people..." (not exactly that many, but you get the idea)

I have tried the story. It does seem kind of interesting. I just don't like things that are overly popular. I'm not really in to anime geared more towards males. I really don't want to be 'just another Naruto fan'.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 06:35:40 am »
I got into Naruto on accident.  It didn't look that good at first but I bought one of the manga to use for body positions and such for drawing ideas.  Eventually I got into the story though I'm not a die-hard fan and it isn't my favorite.

The stories I don't like are the ones that take forever; my main one being Dragonball Z.  I couldn't stand how most of the fight scenes took forever when it could have been condensed easily.  During some of the fights I would stop watching for two weeks and do something else just so something can happen in the show.  Same thing goes with some of the duels in Yugi-oh.  Some of the battles were short and sweet which I liked because then the story could move along.  I really didn't like the Noah arc (which I consider to be THE most pointless side quest in existance).  Everytime you thought the duels were over, there would be some "new" rule which noone else except that person knew about.

But I don't really understand that way of thinking, Yuki-chan.  I'm not trying to trample over your way of thinking or your opinions here.  I don't see how something being popular can turn off people from a series.  And what would happen if you got into a series early in its distribution and it later became popular?  Would that mean you would say you no longer like it because of that?

Offline otakusan

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.otakusan.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 06:48:59 am »
i think everyone should sit down and watch some ranma, lol
aaah ranma......*so awesome*

POCKY!!!!!!!!!
0_0
0_o

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 02:04:09 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
I got into Naruto on accident.  It didn't look that good at first but I bought one of the manga to use for body positions and such for drawing ideas.  Eventually I got into the story though I'm not a die-hard fan and it isn't my favorite.

The stories I don't like are the ones that take forever; my main one being Dragonball Z.  I couldn't stand how most of the fight scenes took forever when it could have been condensed easily.  During some of the fights I would stop watching for two weeks and do something else just so something can happen in the show.  Same thing goes with some of the duels in Yugi-oh.  Some of the battles were short and sweet which I liked because then the story could move along.  I really didn't like the Noah arc (which I consider to be THE most pointless side quest in existance).  Everytime you thought the duels were over, there would be some "new" rule which noone else except that person knew about.

But I don't really understand that way of thinking, Yuki-chan.  I'm not trying to trample over your way of thinking or your opinions here.  I don't see how something being popular can turn off people from a series.  And what would happen if you got into a series early in its distribution and it later became popular?  Would that mean you would say you no longer like it because of that?

*shrugs* To put it simply, I've never been much of the type to follow a crowd.

I used to be a die hard Nirvana fan back in high school, but it's recent increase in popularity got me sick of it. Mainly because the only reason it got popular was because Kurt Cobain's widowed wife, Courtney is just trying to make money out of his death by the release of his greatests hits album and the new one, 'With the Lights Out'.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
but I know it better than YOU do...
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 04:48:47 pm »
I do not hate Naruto, but I do hate that the more popular anime tend to distract people from exploring different series. I have watched the anime a couple times, and thought it cute.

I TOTALLY hate the elitist fans who tend to cling to a particular anime like... well, rabid fans. But that can happen with any anime, popular or not.  It makes me sick to see a person who put weeks of time into an outfit, only to have it picked apart by the "real fans".  Like the cosplayer didn't pour over the screen captures and cover art with a fine toothed comb themselves while making the outfit. But that's a different subject.

The only problem with liking (and cosplaying) from a popular anime is that there are a lot more fans out there who will do the above apart-picking than with a not-so-popular anime.

On the other hand, it is a lot more fun knowing the mainstream stuff, than being really obscure in your tastes.  It sucks not being able to talk to people about something you really enjoy on the same level.  

So, back to my main point, explore the diverse unknown, but enjoy the popular stuff, too. Its not all that bad.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 06:22:35 pm »

I used to be a die hard Nirvana fan back in high school, but it's recent increase in popularity got me sick of it. Mainly because the only reason it got popular was because Kurt Cobain's widowed wife, Courtney is just trying to make money out of his death by the release of his greatests hits album and the new one, 'With the Lights Out'.

Wow, you mean to say you didn't like them because of their music?

LMAO, you're really one confusing person.

You're like the opposite of a metaphorical sheep who likes what everyone else likes just to be liked. You think not liking something because its popular is cool, or something?

Heres a tip. Why don't you like something because you actually like it?

Screw other peoples opinions.  Thats my motto. I like stuff because I like it, I have never been one to worry much over other peoples opinions.

Thats the way it should be. Being able to like stuff for various reasons. Formulating valid opinions based on that, and discussing them with others.

Basing your whole like/dislike on the popularity of something is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my life.

Who cares if its popular or not?

I like popular anime such as Naruto and Bleach. Some people don't know this, but my favorite anime is Hokuo no Ken/Fist of the North Star. Not exactly a popular title, but I don't care. I also like Bastard!! and The Guyver alot. Those two have small fanbases aswell, but like I said, that doesn't matter to me.

The point is, it doesn't matter if something is popular or not. Its not going to change who you are because you like something thats popular.

My favorite band is Metallica. Do I like them because they're popular? Hell no. Kirk Hammetts amazing guitar playing is what draws me back every single time. The way Lars pounds the drums is amazing. James' amazing lyrics and voice are awesome and perfect for rock. Based on which song I am listening to, either Robert/Jason/Cliff are doing an amazing job on Bass.

I hope the point of this is getting to you. Just because something is popular doesn't mean you'll change if you like it. If poeple don't like you because you like something popular, screw them. They're weak minded fools.

Offline [R]VisitorOfEmptySpace

• Cabbit
    • http://www.ninjasinaxetion.com
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2005, 06:57:50 pm »
I like the series, but, I really think people who cosplay should be more creative.

It's stupid to see 50 people dressed as Naruto. It's annoying.

It doesn't show variation or creativity.

I wanna see people dress as people from less popular series and less popular characters.

How about cosplaying the Gung-ho Guns from Trigun?
Characters from Fruits Basket? Dragon Half? GTO?

People always choose the most popular stuff to cosplay as.. I hate it.

Me? I'll be dressed as a Team Rocket Grunt from Pokemon. :-p

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2005, 07:26:58 pm »
I personally think that there are too many Fruits Basket Cosplayers... And it's always Tohru or Kyo. That may be biased, because I personally do not like Fruits Basket.

And also it's hard to recognize characters with no real elaborate costumes like from GTO or Love Hina (Negima. D: ).  And if you go as one of one of Onizuka's students, it's just the standard Sailor Fuku, and you could be mistaken for a kogal.

And I love seeing 50+ people cosplaying from any certain series like Naruto. It always makes for amazing photo shoots. Like, who wouldn't flip out (Normal people here were talking about here,) if they saw a bunch of teenagers and 20 something’s running down the street dressed as ninja?

And during Spirit week, on hat day, I wore my Naruto Bed-time cap, and 5 people commented on it being from Naruto, at least 20 where saying 'What Anime/Manga is that from?’ And then on Black and White day I wore some EGL to school and a few 6th graders came up to me and asked 'Why are you wearing your Cosplay at school?’

Just because something like Naruto, or any anime at that is popular, doesn’t mean it's bad.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2005, 09:37:32 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
I personally think that there are too many Fruits Basket Cosplayers... And it's always Tohru or Kyo. That may be biased, because I personally do not like Fruits Basket.

And also it's hard to recognize characters with no real elaborate costumes like from GTO or Love Hina (Negima. D: ).  And if you go as one of one of Onizuka's students, it's just the standard Sailor Fuku, and you could be mistaken for a kogal.

And I love seeing 50+ people cosplaying from any certain series like Naruto. It always makes for amazing photo shoots. Like, who wouldn't flip out (Normal people here were talking about here,) if they saw a bunch of teenagers and 20 something’s running down the street dressed as ninja?

And during Spirit week, on hat day, I wore my Naruto Bed-time cap, and 5 people commented on it being from Naruto, at least 20 where saying 'What Anime/Manga is that from?’ And then on Black and White day I wore some EGL to school and a few 6th graders came up to me and asked 'Why are you wearing your Cosplay at school?’

Just because something like Naruto, or any anime at that is popular, doesn’t mean it's bad.

Not true. Last Kumoricon there was an Onizuka cosplayer. He carried around a sledgehammer (Peacebonded of course). It was a very accurate costume, too.

Also, most of the students have individual styles and such. I'd love to see a Kanzaki cosplayer.

People can cosplay what they want. If I see 50 Naruto cosplayers, I don't think "Wow, how uncreative", I think "Wow, Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!".

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2005, 12:06:50 am »
You can't stand the rabid Naruto fans, so you don't like Naruto. The same could be said of FMA, and Inu-Yasha. All three have their own rabid fandoms.  And they all annoy the hell out of me, but I watch them. Inu-Yasha, because it's my favorite, and caught my eye when I read about it in an Animerica four years ago. Full Metal Alchemist because I like the animation, the characters and the story, and Naruto... because I wanted to see what made all those fan love it so much.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2005, 01:02:39 am »
Quote from: "[R
VisitorOfEmptySpace"]I like the series, but, I really think people who cosplay should be more creative.

It's stupid to see 50 people dressed as Naruto. It's annoying.

It doesn't show variation or creativity.

I wanna see people dress as people from less popular series and less popular characters.

How about cosplaying the Gung-ho Guns from Trigun?
Characters from Fruits Basket? Dragon Half? GTO?

People always choose the most popular stuff to cosplay as.. I hate it.

Me? I'll be dressed as a Team Rocket Grunt from Pokemon. :-p

As someone who is planning on cosplaying as Kakashi, that hurts.  Please sit down and listen to my story.

Last year I wanted to cosplay from Love Hina, my favorite series.  By the way, I love it because of the character's personality, the storyline, and the character designs (Ken Akamatsu is my favorite manga-ka).  Somewhat known anime and manga so I thought a few people would know about it.  I thought about going as Keitaro.  Problem: He wears normal clothes and doesn't have a distinct costume design.  I could be mistaken for some guy walking around not cosplaying.  So I decided to go as Seta from Love Hina.  Pretty easy cosplay and he has a design that's easy to recognize; lab coat, black pants, black shirt, red tie, and a cigarette.
So I went to KumoriCon as Seta.  For all three days, I wore that costume.  For all three days, FOUR people recognized me and two people took pictures.  To add insult to injury, most people, including a few of the norms, thought I was a doctor.

I tried being creative, I tried being unique, I tried everything you're suggesting.  My advice: It doesn't always work.  I tried, it failed.  Does this mean I'm not going to do a cosplay like that again?  No.  I know quite a few other similar examples that I could mention off the top of my head.

I'm going as Kakashi because I like the character.  I would still be going as him even if no one else decided to go as Naruto.  We like the series so we're cosplaying as them.  We are not cosplaying as them because everyone else is.  I'm also planning to go as a member of the Black Gema Gema Dan from Digicharat.  Am I going so I can be unique?  No.  I'm cosplaying as him because 1. I like Digicharat and 2. I think I could pull off the look.

And with all due respect, I know a lot of people who seem to think that by liking something or doing something that few other people know about or are interested in is a way of being cool.  I knew someone who acted like that and you know what, I couldn't stand him.  He would brag about it all the time in a way like I wasn't doing "the right thing" and I wasn't being creative with some of my interests (I'm 100% sure he isn't on this forum, he doesn't like anime).  If you ask me, forcing yourself to be "unique" in every way just because something is popular, so that your interests are all unheard of and you can talk about being like that, is becoming popular.

This is Mahou Sensei Negima,
Class dismissed

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2005, 05:11:56 pm »

You're like the opposite of a metaphorical sheep who likes what everyone else likes just to be liked. You think not liking something because its popular is cool, or something?

Screw other peoples opinions.  Thats my motto. I like stuff because I like it, I have never been one to worry much over other peoples opinions.

Thats the way it should be. Being able to like stuff for various reasons. Formulating valid opinions based on that, and discussing them with others.

Basing your whole like/dislike on the popularity of something is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my life.

I like popular anime such as Naruto and Bleach. Some people don't know this, but my favorite anime is Hokuo no Ken/Fist of the North Star. Not exactly a popular title, but I don't care. I also like Bastard!! and The Guyver alot. Those two have small fanbases aswell, but like I said, that doesn't matter to me.

The point is, it doesn't matter if something is popular or not. Its not going to change who you are because you like something thats popular.

My favorite band is Metallica. Do I like them because they're popular? Hell no. Kirk Hammetts amazing guitar playing is what draws me back every single time. The way Lars pounds the drums is amazing. James' amazing lyrics and voice are awesome and perfect for rock. Based on which song I am listening to, either Robert/Jason/Cliff are doing an amazing job on Bass.

I hope the point of this is getting to you. Just because something is popular doesn't mean you'll change if you like it. If poeple don't like you because you like something popular, screw them. They're weak minded fools.

Nonono, of course I loved Nirvana for his music. I love his improvised solo's and his feedback. Back when I played guitar regularly, I had almost mastered a lot of things he could do feedback-wise. I really loved the way he screamed in his songs. He was an excellent artist and I loved his form of creativity.

Maybe saying I stopped liking it 'because it was popular' isn't the best wording.

When I see all these kids with nirvana shirts bought at a store, smoking so they get that same raspy voice he had, bleaching their hair blonde and growing it out, starting up guitar, telling everyone 'oh, I'm a nirvana fan' just kind of spoils it for me. The whole idea of being a Nirvana fan is just ruined because of the really annoying fans. I don't like relating myself to people like that.

Of course I loved him for his music. I just refuse to relate myself to other fans like that when the amount of them start spreading like a wildfire when it's only due to Courtney Love desiring money.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2005, 07:28:26 pm »

Nonono, of course I loved Nirvana for his music. I love his improvised solo's and his feedback. Back when I played guitar regularly, I had almost mastered a lot of things he could do feedback-wise. I really loved the way he screamed in his songs. He was an excellent artist and I loved his form of creativity.

Maybe saying I stopped liking it 'because it was popular' isn't the best wording.

When I see all these kids with nirvana shirts bought at a store, smoking so they get that same raspy voice he had, bleaching their hair blonde and growing it out, starting up guitar, telling everyone 'oh, I'm a nirvana fan' just kind of spoils it for me. The whole idea of being a Nirvana fan is just ruined because of the really annoying fans. I don't like relating myself to people like that.

Of course I loved him for his music. I just refuse to relate myself to other fans like that when the amount of them start spreading like a wildfire when it's only due to Courtney Love desiring money.

Oh, you hate posers.

Ok. Still, don't stop liking something because its the new "In thing" for posers. I agree, posers suck. They're sheep who have no opinion of their own and go with the flow of things. They usually switch to something else, though.

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 06:22:58 am »

Oh, you hate posers.

Ok. Still, don't stop liking something because its the new "In thing" for posers. I agree, posers suck. They're sheep who have no opinion of their own and go with the flow of things. They usually switch to something else, though.

Yes, I hate posers, and I don't see the the majority of the swarms of Naruto fans as true otaku.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 09:52:17 am »

Oh, you hate posers.

Yes, I hate posers, and I don't see the the majority of the swarms of Naruto fans as true otaku.

The term Otaku is pretty warped these days. :D

To me its someone who pretty much devopes the entire sum of their life to Anime, Manga, etc etc.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 06:35:47 pm »
OTTAKKUUUU. D:

I read An Otaku's Quide to Neo Tokyo and it made me think twice about using the word 'Otaku' so freely.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:33 pm »
OTTAKKUUUU. D:

I read An Otaku's Quide to Neo Tokyo and it made me think twice about using the word 'Otaku' so freely.

one reason I dun call myself an otaku

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 07:49:19 pm »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
OTTAKKUUUU. D:

Well, I consider myself even more of an otaku now in the literal sense. Otaku, or taku in japanese means house, and in this sense, it means 'someone who spends a lot of time indoors.' My g/f broke up with me a while back, I lost my job, and I kicked myself out of my friend's apartment because I couldn't pay bills. Now I'm a recluse with no job. So I consider myself a more literal otaku.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 03:25:16 am »
OTTAKKUUUU. D:

Well, I consider myself even more of an otaku now in the literal sense. Otaku, or taku in japanese means house, and in this sense, it means 'someone who spends a lot of time indoors.'

My definition for an Otaku is just someone who is really really really into something to the point where it's an obsession (on the bad side).

Offline ArmagedonAngel

• Oni
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 11:33:01 am »
My defenition is a japanese nerd or geek.
"I dont know if im Gods child or Satans soldier."
"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness."

Founder and Commander of the
Dark Dragon Ninja Clan

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 05:04:57 pm »
My definition for an Otaku is just someone who is really really really into something to the point where it's an obsession (on the bad side).

thats my definition as well.  which like I said, I dun call myself an otaku ^_^*.  I"m guessing the meaning that yuki mentioned is the old definition and was later used(due to its old meaning) describle obessive people who stay home all day(depending on the subject of the obession)

Anonymous

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 06:02:16 pm »
people who all get all wierd about the word otaku because they reeealy know what it means because they know sooo much about japanese culture and everything are in fact complete otaku!!! lol.

Anyway, about Naruto, I never really liked it. I don't know. But it is still cool to see someone in a good cosplay costume no matter how overdone it is.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2005, 08:16:56 pm »
like with all the sailor moon and final fantasy cosplays?

Offline ciella_yaka

• Cabbit
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2005, 08:23:41 pm »
If they look good then yeah, it's cool to see

Offline yuki-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2005, 09:04:57 am »

thats my definition as well.  which like I said, I dun call myself an otaku ^_^*.  I"m guessing the meaning that yuki mentioned is the old definition and was later used(due to its old meaning) describle obessive people who stay home all day(depending on the subject of the obession)

Yeppers, that's what I was getting at.

Offline PixeL

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2005, 09:11:12 am »
i havent seen naurto, except like one episode 2 years ago at an anime club. It seemed pretty funny n__n;;