Author Topic: Split from "This year's convention..." - Staff and voting members  (Read 1560 times)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Split from "This year's convention..." - Staff and voting members
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:01:52 am »
Perhaps this is already been answered but, what are the levels of "voting members" who can vote on
things like Board members and the like, and how do you get involved with that, I think a lot of us would
be interested to see what kind of plans those wishing to vye for Chair and Vice chair have for the next
con and would like to be involved in helping choose them, but I for one don't know if thats even allowed
or if simply agreeing to become full time volunteer staff permits us this right?

What kinds of permissions do first time staff get as far as working with and making decsions with the
main convention directors and coordinatiors?

This is the kind of thing that alot of us should understand so as not to overstep our bounds when trying
to make next years con better. ^_^ no stepping on toes now!

~Allykat

[Edit by JeffT, Moderator: Edited subject line of split thread]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:43:55 am by JeffT »
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: This year\\
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Perhaps this is already been answered but, what are the levels of "voting members" who can vote on
things like Board members and the like, and how do you get involved with that, I think a lot of us would
be interested to see what kind of plans those wishing to vye for Chair and Vice chair have for the next
con and would like to be involved in helping choose them, but I for one don't know if thats even allowed
or if simply agreeing to become full time volunteer staff permits us this right?

What kinds of permissions do first time staff get as far as working with and making decsions with the
main convention directors and coordinatiors?

This is the kind of thing that alot of us should understand so as not to overstep our bounds when trying
to make next years con better. ^_^ no stepping on toes now!

~Allykat

All staff from the 2008-2009 con year (as-in, worked on the previous con) get to vote on the staff-elected positons of Chair, Programming, Relations, Publicity and Operations.

Those newly elected Board Members then vote/come to consensus on Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Facilities Liaison. 

The Directors choose and sign up staff. Some Directors will come to elections with proposed staff lists or a promise of 'If elected, this person will be my assistant director'. 

Please note that while only staff can vote, anyone may speak at our elections. 

With Operations, asking the nomimee's choices for Yoji 1 and Registration Manager are fairly standard. 

The elections are typically run by Founders with no stake in the elections.  (We, sort of ceremonially hand the con back to them and they hand it over to the newly elected.)

Any questions?  Like why some are staff votes and some board?

Hey, guys, I ran a panel on this at Kcon and only 3 people came!! ;)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

There was a panel on this???

*dies of confusion*

Oy, given that I had literally 30 minutes of sleep from Thursday to Sunday at 3am... And the fact that I hadn't
even SEEN the schedule of events prior to registration saturday morning, I think I found a lot of things I wanted
to see... but that would have been one of them. I'm sorry I missed it. I just was so confused and excited all at
the same time... ^_^

~Allykat
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:17:29 am by AllyKat »
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:22:04 am »

There was a panel on this???

*dies of confusion*

Oy, given that I had literally 30 minutes of sleep from Thursday to Sunday at 3am... And the fact that I hadn't
even SEEN the schedule of events prior to registration saturday morning, I think I found a lot of things I wanted
to see... but that would have been one of them. I'm sorry I missed it. I just was so confused and excited all at
the same time... ^_^

~Allykat

Nani Naze Kumoricon!

Basically, it was me, one attendee and one of the Anime Expo execs answering questions about different ways to do things asked by someone working on the Worldcon bid for Reno. 

Hrmm... maybe next time I will give it a clearere title, like something that isn't a reference to an anime older than many of our attendees. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Split from "This year's convention..." - Staff and voting members
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »
And it looks like the elections threads are now open. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp