Author Topic: Hilton shutdown for the winter  (Read 6664 times)

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Hilton shutdown for the winter
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:16:09 am »
http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2009/08/31/daily26.html

So I was talking about the hilton with some people (forget who) and they mentioned that due to the economy the hilton will be shutting down some for the winter.  I find this boggling as, at least from some of the hilton staff we got the impression that kumoricon wasn't that welcome.

Apparently, hilton sold the portland hilton back in 2005, to an investment company (boggles)  Anyway, yeah interesting fyi.  I think that with the recession going on right now would be a good time to be a large convention that needs a bunch of hotel space.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
Re: Hilton shutdown for the winter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:47 am »
wow, that's interesting... If that's happening, why didn't they want us there, they should have been thrilled instead of acting like we were a bunch of low life's.

Offline Tehubercheese

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:24:52 am »
Well that would certainly explain why there are so many miserable staff members. I know that many were jerks, but something tells me that there may have been something that could have gone on behind the scenes then. Working for a Fred Meyer I hear tons of stories about things were much better for employees back before it was sold to Kroger a masssiiive company. Can't say it is a good excuse for some behaviors, but I bet it explains a lot.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »
"The Hilton has not communicated its plans with employees or front line managers, said Karly Edwards, affiliate leader for the union who participated in the Aug. 25 meeting."

So, basically the employees heard about this from the internet, just like all the Circuit City employees did when CC went out of business too.

I can see why they'd be pissed.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline Hello Kalashnikov

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:03:42 pm »
"The Hilton has not communicated its plans with employees or front line managers, said Karly Edwards, affiliate leader for the union who participated in the Aug. 25 meeting."

So, basically the employees heard about this from the internet, just like all the Circuit City employees did when CC went out of business too.

I can see why they'd be pissed.
We might have experienced some misdirected anger :(
Not that they didn't have good cause to be angry.
Ultima Ratio Regum, Prima Ratio Awesome

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:13 pm »
http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2009/08/31/daily26.html

So I was talking about the hilton with some people (forget who) and they mentioned that due to the economy the hilton will be shutting down some for the winter.  I find this boggling as, at least from some of the hilton staff we got the impression that kumoricon wasn't that welcome.

Apparently, hilton sold the portland hilton back in 2005, to an investment company (boggles)  Anyway, yeah interesting fyi.  I think that with the recession going on right now would be a good time to be a large convention that needs a bunch of hotel space.

Well, when you think about it, there are a ton of hotels in portland, and I was in both the exec tower and regular hilton rooms, and to be honest, the regular rooms suck.  Even Best Western has nicer rooms from what I've seen and experienced.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:05:53 pm »
Most interactions at the con were with bottom-level staff whose salaries will be significantly cut, or who will be sacked or laid off within the next year.  They do not make money when the company makes money; they receive a salary...a dropping one.  They saw us as a few thousand vagrants throwing money at the people who are cutting them off from their livelihood.  I'd estimate that something like 95% of the earnings that the Hilton drew in from Kumoricon this year went to investors and executives.  Perhaps one or two of the Managers at the hotel got a small cut, but I doubt even that.  Those employees gained nothing (financially) from our presence.  Think about it: they don't even get tips.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:04 pm »
Next year I'll make sure to congradulate the staff more. ^^ And give out snackies to people!
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:34 pm »
>___o Oooh, that sucks for them.

Not that it justifies any of the shitty behavior that went down, but it does make it a little more understandable. I'd be pretty pissed myself, y'know?

Hopefully, next year will be better for them?
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:49 pm »
It's realities like this that make me wonder if we aren't heading towards another 'French' revolution.

Most interactions at the con were with bottom-level staff whose salaries will be significantly cut, or who will be sacked or laid off within the next year.  They do not make money when the company makes money; they receive a salary...a dropping one.  They saw us as a few thousand vagrants throwing money at the people who are cutting them off from their livelihood.  I'd estimate that something like 95% of the earnings that the Hilton drew in from Kumoricon this year went to investors and executives.  Perhaps one or two of the Managers at the hotel got a small cut, but I doubt even that.  Those employees gained nothing (financially) from our presence.  Think about it: they don't even get tips.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:11:29 pm »
... Does anybody else see this as the time to dust off their resumes and get in line for those soon to be vacated "bottom-level" positions?

That would defiantly make me mad before working crowd control and such at an anime convention.  Poor guys!  Actually I didn't have problems with the Hilton staff, and when ever I was miffed with them it was due to people spreading erroneous rumors.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline Tehubercheese

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:12:43 am »
Well I do remember talking to one of the valet guys. Our group was the first tip he had gotten all morning. We were leaving a bit before noon. So the behavior is not justified, but you know I think if we want them on our side we need to make them feel appreciated for what we do. Cons a lot of work for everyone involved.