Author Topic: re: Hilton Staff  (Read 20634 times)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
re: Hilton Staff
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »
It has come to my attention that the Hilton Staff acted in a less than desirable manner.

Can we discuss other things now?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: re: Hilton Staff
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:55 pm »
We can, yes, but other people might not.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:56:49 am »
a couple of hotel staff i talked to were very cool, liked my costume, and were very helpful,

on another not gee over 4k people trashing your work place, what is not to like
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:07:56 am »
Yeah, it's getting to be a pain and people will have grudges. Let live and move on... If only. There is another year ahead of us till things get worked out.
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:17:45 am »
 I didnt notice the staff in general acting terribly except for ONE giant femine clensing product* who quite frankly has NO business working with the public.

That meanie* in the army fatigues who would literally insult everyone outside the hotel.  " Get out of my way!" " No horseplay in front of MY Hotel"  " Stairs are for WALKING children!"

I really wish Id gotten his name because that kind of crap should be grounds for termination.

Content modified for language
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:53:33 am by Deviant Spider »

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:37:22 am »
I did notice a few, like there was this one who was always guarding the way to the downstairs section... he was one of the main staff members I did have a problem with... but other than that, I didn't really have a problem with them, I think they were just a little flustered at how many people actually appeared.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:37 am »
I did notice a few, like there was this one who was always guarding the way to the downstairs section... he was one of the main staff members I did have a problem with... but other than that, I didn't really have a problem with them, I think they were just a little flustered at how many people actually appeared.

No. Thats no excuse. Those with decent well-paying jobs need to EARN them. If you are in public relations not becoming openly 'flustered' is a large part of the job description. If you cant handle it get out and let someone who can take over.

They knew what they were getting into and they accepted anyway becuase of the money. They have only themselves ( or their bosses) to blame.

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:58:00 am »
I didnt notice the staff in general acting terribly except for ONE giant douche who quite frankly has NO business working with the public.

That jackass in the army fatigues who would literally insult everyone outside the hotel.  " Get out of my way!" " No horseplay in front of MY Hotel"  " Stairs are for WALKING children!"

I really wish Id gotten his name because that kind of crap should be grounds for termination.

I would not worry about him, he was talked to.
=^_^=

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:59:41 am »
I didnt notice the staff in general acting terribly except for ONE giant douche who quite frankly has NO business working with the public.

That jackass in the army fatigues who would literally insult everyone outside the hotel.  " Get out of my way!" " No horseplay in front of MY Hotel"  " Stairs are for WALKING children!"

Really? That does make me feel better. Thanks.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:08 pm »
I actually had a really positive experience with the hotel staff, particularly when it came to interacting with the front desk.

When it came time to check in on the first day I was helped by a gentleman named Joshua who was really awesome, and despite there being issues in finding our reservation he was super nice the whole time and was asking us more about the con while we waited for all the information to go through. He even went out of his way to get us a room on the 4th floor so we wouldn't have to use the crowded elevators as much and made it so we didn't have to scale a ridiculous amount of stairs (he even got us into our room REALLY early.) It was a really positive way to start the con for me and I really appreciated it.

Also when it came time for my group to move our bags from our car to our room we were having trouble carrying all of our things (particularly my luggage which was I admit, obnoxiously huge and heavy) and a lady staff member from the hotel noticed our problem and actually took us through the back service elevators so we could get to our room with greater ease. She even got another worker in the back hallways to help carry my bag down the few sets of stairs there were.

A lot of people seem to have had negative experiences with the staff, but I guess I was just lucky and found the right people at the right time because in my opinion the Hilton staff were always extremely cordial and helpful.... =]
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:25:28 pm »
I didn't have bad experiences with hotel staff.  Some were a little on edge but that was to be expected.  But I never really felt harassed or blown off by any. 

I thought the hotel security manager was quite professional.  He also had a sense of urgency.  I had the morning shift so getting rooms unlocked and ready for panels fell on me (not just me but, you know, see a problem own a problem) I was a little worried that I'd get blown off and someone else would have to deal with the hotel staff making people not able to get into their panels but it didn't happen.  Really, if stuff started late, I think mostly it was our fault for planning more than the hotel being unresponsive.   
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Jaminos

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:28:45 pm »
I tried to not talk to hotel staff if I could avoid it. They seem swamped and agitated but I did watch a instance where one guard of some type was unloading on some poor girl who accidentally went the wrong direction.  She looked like she was about to cry after that.  I am a security guard out in The Dalles and it is just as much a customer service job as it is a security job. If we upset the client IE the con goers that should be terms for some sort of disciplinary action.
Kumoricon 2007
Cosplayer
Un-named Soulreaper #25
Kumoricon 2008
Cosplayer
Lord Jaminos (personal character)
Kumoricon 2009
Jaminos Talon (Mandalorian mercenery)
Kumoricon 2010
Harry Dresden

Offline hanawaya

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »

No. Thats no excuse. Those with decent well-paying jobs need to EARN them. If you are in public relations not becoming openly 'flustered' is a large part of the job description. If you cant handle it get out and let someone who can take over.

They knew what they were getting into and they accepted anyway becuase of the money. They have only themselves ( or their bosses) to blame.

For those of you who didn't know the employees of the Hilton are Union.  They have been trying to make a deal and it is not going very well.  Most of them will be losing their jobs so it makes sense that they didn't care anymore.  They go to work everyday not knowing if it's going to be their last.  Would you continue to care in that kind of situation?  We are not something easy to deal with.  That mixed with the stress of not knowing if you are going to lose your job despite how you behave makes for some very tense interactions.
2010 Information Manager
2009 Registration Staff

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »
I didn't know they were on the verge of loosing their jobs. I knew there was more of a reason to why they were mean, but I didn't know why... But it does make sense now.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »

Was it actually hotel staff, or one of the con security guards? Because I was talking with one of the security guards who was often on the lobby level over by the way downstairs, mainly holding people off when it was over capacity, or when they changed it so there was a directional flow to and from downstairs, and he was really cool.. had been security at k-con last year and whatnot too.

For those of you who didn't know the employees of the Hilton are Union.  They have been trying to make a deal and it is not going very well.  Most of them will be losing their jobs so it makes sense that they didn't care anymore.  They go to work everyday not knowing if it's going to be their last.  Would you continue to care in that kind of situation?  We are not something easy to deal with.  That mixed with the stress of not knowing if you are going to lose your job despite how you behave makes for some very tense interactions.

Hardly any excuse to be douchebags about it, though. How do you think the 40,000+ employees of Circuit City felt when they discovered, via the internet(instead of management), that CCity was going out of business?

And yes, I was one of them.. now call me crazy, but there's a difference.. the people at the Hilton were just being douchebags.. at a place like CCity, yeah, we didn't care because we were losing our jobs, but we weren't assholes.. we just stopped putting an effort into being nice to asshole customers.

So yeah.. craziness like a con, combined with potentially losing your job, yeah, that sucks.. but the employees were always assholes to begin with if thats how they act now. In your situation, like that, would you do your job less and just let the money roll in while it does.. or would you do your job to the same extent you always did, but call the con-goers freaks, and tell them to get out of the way, or go somewhere else when there's nothing wrong with them being there in the first place?

Seriously.. incredibly unprofessional, PLUS pretty sad human being, if you ask me.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »
I didn't know they were on the verge of loosing their jobs. I knew there was more of a reason to why they were mean, but I didn't know why... But it does make sense now.

That is still absolutely no excuse to be rude, inconsiderate and just plain damn insulting to people that half of the time don't know what is going on. Just because you have a security badge doesn't mean that you have free reign over the freedom of the people attending your workplace.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »

That is still absolutely no excuse to be rude, inconsiderate and just plain damn insulting to people that half of the time don't know what is going on. Just because you have a security badge doesn't mean that you have free reign over the freedom of the people attending your workplace.

I know it's not an excuse as to why they were rude, and they should have been nicer, but I do know why they were rude now... But your right about how they should have been more curdious.

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »
Did no one get names of these hotel staff? I find that rather irritating because if I send a formal complaint it'll be pretty worthless if there are no names...
Even a description of the Hotel Staff in question that made you feel uneasy or irritated would be nice, because at least then the hotel can go on something. 

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:56:57 pm »
My only problem with the hotel was the fact that someone listened to too much Mitch Hedberg.

To elaborate for those who didn't get it immediately, Escalators Temporarily Stairs, Sorry for the Convenience.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Himura Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »
My only problem with the hotel was the fact that someone listened to too much Mitch Hedberg.

To elaborate for those who didn't get it immediately, Escalators Temporarily Stairs, Sorry for the Convenience.

I still don't get it.....
But I was happy they stopped the escalators, at least the down ones (I'm a little afraid of them so trying to go down for Kirk Thornton's autograph I got stuck at the top of the escalator trying to step onto it without falling down it... it was taking me a bit so I let people behind me go past, lol)

Current Cosplay:
-Sebastian Michaelis (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler)

Possible Future Cosplay Plans:
-Castiel (Supernatural)
-Assassin Link

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 03:12:42 pm »
I didnt get it either, but i can tell you why they were shut off. COSPLAY OUTFITS That drag on the ground. The hotel didnt want a liability issue with a costume or dress that dragged on the ground getting caught in the escalator. Occasionally they would turn them on for various reasons, usually because somebody didnt know why they were turned off.
=^_^=

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:13 pm »
I didn't have much of a problem with the hotel staff during the con (although I was in the gaming room most of the time so i didn't have much interations with them). I did have an issue before thecon when I showed up with Dustin (BlazingHydro) and Charles (DancingTofu) with a car load of rockband stuff for the gaming. Blaze ran in to get someone to help us get stuff down to the gaming room, returned shortly after with assurence that someone would be out to help us soon. 15min later no one was there. Tofu ended up going through the hotel until he found a flatbed cartso we could actually move the fat pile of stuff we had. Eventually we got everything where it needed to be (with no real help from the hotel staff mind you, although one security guard tried). Later we got practically yelled at by one of the con staff who had just been repremanded by hotel security because Tofu took the cart through the regular elevators instead of the service elevators. If they had just helped us in the first place that could have been avoided completely.
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline Himura Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »
Not to denote what people are saying, but my overall experience with the hotel and kcon staff was rather pleasant. Aside from a couple people outside telling me not to loiter in front of the door (which I completely understand) they were very helpful. On saturday night they were very willing to help me find whatever I was looking for or trying to go, and they answered all my questions, except when they didn't know the answer, then they told me where to find the help desk. However the whole layout and organization was very confusing to me.

Current Cosplay:

-Castiel (Supernatural)
-Assassin Link

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 03:21:43 pm »
Not to denote what people are saying, but my overall experience with the hotel and kcon staff was rather pleasant. Aside from a couple people outside telling me not to loiter in front of the door (which I completely understand) they were very helpful. On saturday night they were very willing to help me find whatever I was looking for or trying to go, and they answered all my questions, except when they didn't know the answer, then they told me where to find the help desk. However the whole layout and organization was very confusing to me.

I just want to say thank you for understanding. i was at the front door all day sunday (10am-5pm)
=^_^=

Offline Himura Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:54 pm »
Not a problem. Sunday was the only day I was there. As after arriving saturday night unable to find the person I was supposed to stay with (even with help from staff) I ended up going home, getting up at 5am sunday and going back to the convention. I was first to register for sunday, so I suppose I got lucky.

Current Cosplay:

-Castiel (Supernatural)
-Assassin Link

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 04:23:36 pm »
So yeah.. craziness like a con, combined with potentially losing your job, yeah, that sucks.. but the employees were always assholes to begin with if thats how they act now. In your situation, like that, would you do your job less and just let the money roll in while it does.. or would you do your job to the same extent you always did, but call the con-goers freaks, and tell them to get out of the way, or go somewhere else when there's nothing wrong with them being there in the first place?
And now I feel almost like hugging the Hilton staff.

Offline Nayamashii Koneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 07:44:07 pm »
I personally had about 5 minutes worth of bad times with only one of the Hilton Staff. After that...they really didn't bother me. I "worked" with maybe 4 of them and I was grateful for the help that they provided. Especially a gentleman named Kevin; he gave myself and another Yoji a couple of heavy duty flashlights so we could see in the rave and kinda patrol that area a little easier.

I wish I could have defended them a little during the rant and rave...but I didn't have much of a voice left.
K-Con Attendee 04 and 05
K-Con 06 Volunteer (Registration)
K-Con 07 Registration Staff (Pre-Reg)
K-Con 08 Registration Staff (At Door Reg)
K-Con 09 Yojimbo

oslapedo

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 07:50:37 pm »
I noticed that the hotel staff I encountered during late night/early morning were really cool.

Me and my friends were waiting outside one of our other friend's room around 3amish and the guy putting bills under the door came to the door we were at and we laughed with him about stuff that I can't remember.

And when we were asking everyone in sight if there was anywhere to eat so late they looked sympathetic enough when they told us that everywhere was closed for the night.

Night times were good times because there were no crowds but they were bad times because of nothing to do and lack of food. If night time activities got expanded then more people might sleep during the day and create less traffic for day time con goers.

But then again I'm a minor so my opinion's kinda void on the subject...

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »
Ah I see, I sensed there was a certain tension and attitude with the staff. Being a member of a union myself I understand their fears. However they definitely could have handled it better, such as maintained a proferssional and nice attitude that would make the company think about working with the union to find a solution. Just as long as they don't try union busting, that makes me very angry  >:(.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:36:33 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Hentai Cupcake

• Sailor Scout
    • Olime, Olympia Anime Club
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »
The hotel security was horrible to me and my friends the entire con, my friends were yelled at constantly. Two of the contestants for my swimsuit contest were denied entry into the hotel because they came in their swimsuits and the security yelled at them and wouldent let them in. Even if you were just walking though the "public areas" and there being "public areas" with between "con areas" with totally different dress code rules is horrible, but anyways if ya just were moving though them they yelled at you and would try to black passage to other areas of the hotel for you.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:10:21 pm »
My group was actually kicked out of our room by the staff, which was insane - They actually threw away some of our stuff!   >:(

Most of the staff were just so aggressive that it was uncomfortable even being near any of them.
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 09:34:44 pm »

Night times were good times because there were no crowds but they were bad times because of nothing to do and lack of food.

Finding food at night was crazy hard. In order to get food at night you had to search out for a bar that served it. It was essentialy the same deal trying to find a decent breakfast. I was limited to what ever Starbucks had to offer in terms of breakfast items. 

Though I did find that you could get pizza delivered to your room until 1am by what I believe was Pizza Hut.
Team Koga

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »

Night times were good times because there were no crowds but they were bad times because of nothing to do and lack of food.

Finding food at night was crazy hard. In order to get food at night you had to search out for a bar that served it. It was essentialy the same deal trying to find a decent breakfast. I was limited to what ever Starbucks had to offer in terms of breakfast items. 

Though I did find that you could get pizza delivered to your room until 1am by what I believe was Pizza Hut.

With almost as bad service as the Hilton, but willing to serve the food to ANYONE, there's a small in-the-wall diner called Roxie's or something like that. They're open all night, I believe. (Ate there after 3:00 am)

I lost the game.

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 10:08:44 pm »
Just because you have a security badge doesn't mean that you have free reign over the freedom of the people attending your workplace.
Tell that to the TSA. At least hotel security are trained and hold security qualifications (unlike the TSA who are not law enforcement or have any real security qualifications dispite acting like it).

My group was actually kicked out of our room by the staff, which was insane - They actually threw away some of our stuff!   Angry

Most of the staff were just so aggressive that it was uncomfortable even being near any of them.
There are only two reasons they might have done that.
1. The bank rejected the funds hold due to lack of funds - can't pay = no service.
2. You breached hotel regulations, which you agreed to when you checked in. (too many people in the room, too loud, etc)

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »
Just because you have a security badge doesn't mean that you have free reign over the freedom of the people attending your workplace.
Tell that to the TSA. At least hotel security are trained and hold security qualifications (unlike the TSA who are not law enforcement or have any real security qualifications dispite acting like it).

My group was actually kicked out of our room by the staff, which was insane - They actually threw away some of our stuff!   Angry

1. The bank rejected the funds hold due to lack of funds - can't pay = no service.
2. You breached hotel regulations, which you agreed to when you checked in. (too many people in the room, too loud, etc)

Yes but throwing away their possessions is theft and destruction of property.
They can toss them out but they cannot destroy their property.

Offline Kadaj

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:58 pm »
I myself had good and bad experiences with them. There was one security guard among them all that I believed did a very nice job. Sadly, I didn't get his name though. He was nice, polite, enjoyed a chat here and there. When he was blocking people from going into a certain area, he would ask polity and not demand it. I also saw him help a couple people pick up after they had accidentally dropped a binder full of pictures on the ground. He was a very nice person and I do hope the best for him.

There was one more staff member that did a very nice job as well, but I can't seem to remember his name either. One of my friends had injured her knee and, when he was informed, he came running out to take care of the situation for her. He spoke nicely to her and when she requested that one of her friends stay near, he allowed it. He also was nice enough to help her keep it a little secret between them after the medic took a look at it and said it would be fine.

I must say that I didn't like most of the staff though. I had to wait twenty minutes well one of them spoke to one of their friends before they could get to me and all I wanted to know was where the Rite Aid was. Another time, one of the hotel staff members grabbed me and pulled me to the side because I was trying to get to the bathroom and the area was closed. I also got yelled at by one of the security because I had accidentally dropped a little bit of garbage on the floor. I had been binding down to pick it up when he started to yell at me.  

All and all, I really hope that we don't have con there again next year. The staff almost made it unpleasant with there nasty looks and there nasty attitudes.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 10:41:03 pm »

Yes but throwing away their possessions is theft and destruction of property.
They can toss them out but they cannot destroy their property.

Right! We've had confusion because of it.

We had to confront House keeping for a couple of items, and we lost two badges! (Luckily, we found them, but what if we hadn't?)

If it was because we broke the regulations, then it is only fair that we receive a proper notice. -

Just because a regulation or two was broken gives no right to break several LAWS!

I lost the game.

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »
If it was because we broke the regulations, then it is only fair that we receive a proper notice. -

Just because a regulation or two was broken gives no right to break several LAWS![/color][/size]
Try reading the terms and conditions of a hotel or airline some time. There are a number of things a hotel can get away with if you breach the contract (booking a room is signing a contract - hence why you need to be a minimum age in order to book a room).

While throwing away personal property is theft (house keeping may have thought something was waste...), they aren't required to give notice if you breach the contract.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Did no one get names of these hotel staff? I find that rather irritating because if I send a formal complaint it'll be pretty worthless if there are no names...
Even a description of the Hotel Staff in question that made you feel uneasy or irritated would be nice, because at least then the hotel can go on something.  

We have the names of the two we had trouble with,
 the lady walking around yelling at people had a dark suit on and had dark hair was Kelli Hopp Senior Event Manager and the man in a dark suit was short and balding also giving people a hard time was Patrick Cechini CLSS Director of Security and Safety. I do not know if this was who you had trouble with or not but the names of two hotel staff we know of. It might help if anyone has vidio or pictures of them in the act of bullying so it is not your word against there's . A very nice man was Florian L. Kunkel Director of Food and Beverage. He was polite , very helpful and smiled at everyone instead of glaring. He was a tall man with dark hair walking around in a dark suit. A BIG thank you should go to him for his hard work and I hope he did not get confused for the other two in suits. He and so many others like kitchen staff and maids did a great job handling this many people.  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:28:40 pm by BangBangNeko »

Offline LadyZombie

• Cabbit
    • Illaura Rossiter Photography
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »
For the most part I had no trouble with the staff. The only time I ever seemed to have problems is when I had to use the restroom. They all but jumped me because I didn't use the little escalator bridge thingy then saw my badge and went, Oh, okay...
Mio Hio - 100%
Sailor Jupiter - 100%
Kyoko - 0%

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 02:28:44 pm »
My group was actually kicked out of our room by the staff, which was insane - They actually threw away some of our stuff!   >:(

PM me directly with what room you are talking about and all other details of what happened. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »
my friend mark said that he saw one of the hilton staff yelling at a naruto cosplayer, and calling them a freak while they sat there and cried.

im not sure how much of that is the truth, but its pretty harsh nonetheless.

Offline Meitantei-Moonlight

• Oni
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 06:52:57 pm »
My group was actually kicked out of our room by the staff, which was insane - They actually threw away some of our stuff!   >:(

Woah. You didn't mention (to me before) that they threw some stuff out. o_o That's just messed up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:53:38 pm by Meitantei-Moonlight »

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2009, 02:25:56 am »
my friend mark said that he saw one of the hilton staff yelling at a naruto cosplayer, and calling them a freak while they sat there and cried.

To be honest- a lot of Otaku need to learn to stand up for themselves.  Ive heard too many stories of atendees crying, and allowing themselves to be pushed around.
Yelling at guests is absolutely unacceptable and we do not have to tolerate it. If someone yells at you get up and WALK AWAY, tell them theire out of line, ask to speak to their supervisor. get their name and report them!

I would hope that this 'hotel' in general would be reported to thier higher ups ( Unfortunately Im not quite certain whom that would be.

I read in another post that they are going to be shut down for the winter. Do you see what they did thar?

KC: We will have over 6000 (yes?) attendees? Can you handle that many?

Hotel staff:   Sure, no problem. // we totally CANT but we need the money//

...right?

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00:57 am »

To be honest- a lot of Otaku need to learn to stand up for themselves.  Ive heard too many stories of atendees crying, and allowing themselves to be pushed around.
Yelling at guests is absolutely unacceptable and we do not have to tolerate it. If someone yells at you get up and WALK AWAY, tell them theire out of line, ask to speak to their supervisor. get their name and report them!

I would hope that this 'hotel' in general would be reported to thier higher ups ( Unfortunately Im not quite certain whom that would be.

I read in another post that they are going to be shut down for the winter. Do you see what they did thar?

...right?

Okay... you know how many times I asked for that and the staff then told me to shut up and move along?  Other times I was so pissed at what happened that I just had to hold myself back or I would of smacked the guy with my cane. 

I did report the whole thing to the front desk.. who did nothing about it.  Last day I asked to write a formal complaint about it and he said they didn't have anything that they could use to do that.  Then said, " I could write a note for you."

Yeah... believe it or not this is the real world folks.  Where bad things happen. 

And that's it.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

...right?

Okay... you know how many times I asked for that and the staff then told me to shut up and move along?  Other times I was so pissed at what happened that I just had to hold myself back or I would of smacked the guy with my cane. 

I did report the whole thing to the front desk.. who did nothing about it.  Last day I asked to write a formal complaint about it and he said they didn't have anything that they could use to do that.  Then said, " I could write a note for you."

Yeah... believe it or not this is the real world folks.  Where bad things happen. 

And that's it.

In that case you go over thier heads.  Or wait until the convention is over.

Offline 2otaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:04 pm »
You have heard about this closing of the Portland Hilton for some weeks? I'd be a bit upset if I would loose weeks of works, wouldn;t you?
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/hotelcheckin/post/2009/09/68498411/1

I wasn't happy about using the service elevator to get to the AA and Dealers Room with my rolling walker. That's what I had to do when they locked the main elevators from going to the lower floor.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »
I wasn't happy about using the service elevator to get to the AA and Dealers Room with my rolling walker. That's what I had to do when they locked the main elevators from going to the lower floor.

To be fair, allowing the main elevators to go down there would have been a health/safety and security issue.  Keeping a synchronized head count from both locations would have been improbable, and stemming the flow of four elevators of convention patrons arriving would have been a problem at best.  It is also a security issue due to the elevators offering a route out of dealer-space which is difficult to follow someone through.

The ballroom level still had the first issue (I was inquiring about that elsewhere in comparison to the PL level, probably staff forums).
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:42 pm »
I had a rather strange experience with the staff. By "strange" I mean that one part of it wasn't an experience I had but is a logical assumption.

On Friday on the third floor there was a luggage cart. The other people doing setup were reluctant to touch it because it had been stated that only hotel staff could do that, and they said no one was coming for it. So I took it back down and turned it in, and the guy running the luggage cart area thanked me and said I must be a good person (that was awesome). But as nice as he was, that I had to do so at all meant that some other staff member dropped the ball and abandoned a cart on the third floor.