Author Topic: Plans to make 2010 even better  (Read 49396 times)

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
Plans to make 2010 even better
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:45:21 pm »
Hey everybody, I doubt most of you know me because I don't get on the forums a lot, but I'm the current Assistant Director of Publicity, Cassie Richoux. I've been going through a lot of the posts now, though I have by no means gotten to all of them, and figured I'd address some of the concerns to the best of my ability.  I know most of the execs are getting through the forum posts today, as tear down finally finished at nine last night, and most of them had work today or sleep to catch up on. I'm not speaking for the board or anything, but just trying to let you guys know some of the things I've been hearing about what we are going to do for next year in our never-ending quest to make sure the attendees have the best time possible.

Hotel staff - overall, it seems to have just been a few staff members that were repeatedly rude. Both Kumoricon execs and the hotel management know about these problems and any identifiable hotel staff members seem to have been/are being dealt with by the Hilton. If you got names and specific incidences, please contact the Hilton so they can keep investigating this. Overall, the staff of the Hilton were excited to see us, where taking pictures of us to share with friends, and had a fun time working with us.

Escalators - The reason the escalators where turned off some of the times was so that long skirts and props would not be caught, as it is very difficult to do any kind of emergency stop if that happens. That was a decision that was made between Kumoricon and the hotel staff, and we will look at what is the best option for next year, for both keeping up the flow but also trying to assure our con goes safety.

Elevators - First, thanks to those of you who used the stairs when you did not need to go very far!  Four banks of elevators is perfectly fine for normal hotel traffic, but not during an event like ours. The elevators have a lot of electronic capabilities though, and we will be figuring out a better plan for how to utilize them. One idea is to have some of the elevators set up to only go between the main floor and the guest floors, which would mean 4-23. This should help for people who want to get to their rooms, and don't want to walk up twenty flights of stairs.

Also, next year the Hilton is planning to make sure that only K-Con attendees will be staying in the main downtown Hilton, and all other guests will be in the Executive Tower. This should help with the elevator situation a little.  One problem was that there was a wedding going on, and while they knew and actually thought it would be fun to have the convention at the hotel, the wedding party quickly realized that it was impossible for them to get between floors as was necessary to make all the wedding preparations, hence the need for segregated elevators. Next year, this will not be the case.

Cell Phone Reception downstairs - This was an unexpected problem, but one we are definitely aware of and will think of ways to help with it next year. Because of the cap, I know some people go trapped going upstairs to make a call and were then unable to get downstairs right away. It was suggested at rant and rave that you can contact your provider and get a signal boost, so that is something to think about next year. But this is a serious concern with as many minors as we have attending, so we will definitely be thinking of a better way to let people get upstairs to make phone calls (or for parents to be able to come down and physically check on children).

Photo Shoots and Hang-out Spaces - We've all gotten a little spoiled the last few years by having some great parks nearby and wonderful weather. This year the rain trapped us all inside and while Pioneer Square was close, it wasn't quite as convenient (though I did hear that as the weather cleared up, people did start moving over there for some great photo shoots and to show off their costumes for Channel 8). Now we have a whole year to think of ways to give attendees some kind of better spacing within the hotel to just hang out and to get their photo's done. I know some ideas being tossed around are things like a photo shoot room or a hang out room, though of course these would both mean possibly taking away from some kind of programming. Unfortunately, no matter what kind of hotel we are in, we never seem to have enough space for all the events we wish we could be doing.

Signage - Yeah, signage wasn't the greatest this year. Going into it, we didn't realize things would be so confusing, and the multiple levels didn't help. That being said, there is no excuse not to have it be much much better this year. We are planning to incorporate signage notes into the walk-through and add a lot more navigation and arrow signs. In addition, the signs will definitely be larger in some places.

As for next year, this is definitely our hotel. I go to a lot of conventions across the country, and actually, from the staff level at least, this hotel has been great to us. They always made sure to get tables and chairs to rooms immediately, always helped out our staff with getting things done, and immediately filled in for holes that our yojimbo couldn't handle.  2011 may be a different story, but we are just trying hard to find conventions that can deal with our size.  But unfortunately the convention center isn't built for fan event and would cost the majority of our yearly budget. Other departments would have to be slashed, which would result in things like less guest and no new video games.  And as far as hotels go there is a tiny one about two blocks away (though remember just walking across that convention center is another couple of blocks), and the double tree is roughly 6 long blocks away, or a max stop. Do-able maybe in a few years, but this isn't an option for next year.

We're actually really lucky with the Hilton, they are aware of the problems and are happy to work with us to solve them for next year. Most of their staff is excited about us and think we are a fun group.  So, next year should definitely go a lot smoother.  Please though, keep posting constructive criticism and let us know what went well as well, so we don't accidentally mess with something you loved.

Also, please come join staff if you think you have some ideas on how to make things better!  One of our goals is to get more yojimbo so that the hotel staff doesn't need to be helping us out with line control and movement. Most of our yojimbo worked the entire weekend, some had 16 hour shifts at a time, so we'd really love to let them get some rest next year!  Our convention is all run by volunteers, by fans that passionately want to make every year better than the last, and we'd love to have you join us!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Plans to make 2010 even better
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:47:59 pm »
Here are some of my suggestions.  Note that I didn't encounter all of these problems myself, but some of them seemed to be a recurring theme amongst complaints.

1- Lack of communication.  Too many staff were giving people conflicting information.  What one staff member said was okay another said was against the rules.  So lets say that there was a last minute change and now they need to move a line because it poses a fire hazard or some sort of safety risk.  How is that communicated to all the Yojimbo?  Is it done person to person?  Do the Yojimbo have radios to communicate?  I think an easy and cheap way to communicate any up to the minute news could be done via a special Twitter account for Kumoricon or a sort of e-mail list that would send SMS to the cellphones of the Yojimbo.  Twitter would be most convenient for its ease but I think an e-mail list with the SMS addresses of all the Yojimbo would be better.  If done this way, you could at least group certain e-mails and then send out the relevant information.  This is helpful because 1) there would be no unnecessary information for people that didn't need to know it 2) it would save on any incoming text charges.  I understand some volunteers might not like this idea since it could incur a cost to them, so it should be voluntary.  However, so long as it is done sparingly, how much could an extra 50 at maximum or so texts over the course of a weekend hurt you?

2- Lack of signs when they could have been very helpful.  How many people had to be turned away by Yojimbo because there was an event being held that limited access?  A lot of confusion for con attendees and the Yojimbo could easily be alleviated if there were poster boards on a stand somewhere near the locations in question.  I noticed there were signs on gaming room doors saying "EXIT ONLY" and such.  Why can't there be signs telling people, "The gallery is for participants in the gaming competition ONLY from X to Y PM."  On Saturday, I didn't see any signs that indicated which escalators were up and which were down.  This just confuses the con attendees and makes for more work for the staff.  And even when they were placed, their placement seemed slightly odd like I might miss them if I wasn't paying close attention for them.  So, something to consider and work on for next year.

3- Stress management.  I personally have never had any issues with Yojimbo or staff in the 6 or so years I've been attending Kumoricon.  However, I understand that their job is stressful and I wonder if 1) their needs are fully being tended to (i.e., food, drink, restroom) and 2) they have any sort of training in how to deal with their increasing stress levels.  I also understand that due to the high volume of the crowd, that they have to yell.  Some people can misinterpret this as meaning the Yojimbo is being rude to them or is angry at them.  I missed opening ceremonies this year, so I don't know if it was discussed but I think it would be helpful to inform the con attendees that the Yojimbo are there to provide crowd control and often have to raise their voices so they can be heard.

4- Say thanks!  This goes for staff and attendees.  Again I've never had an issue where I thought someone was being overtly rude to me or disrespectful, but saying "Thanks" to someone for moving out of the way or answering your question really goes a long way.  So maybe add a "please" after you yell out "up against the wall" and then a "thank you" as you pass by.  And when you ask a Yojimbo for directions and he points out the spot to you, be sure to say "Thank you" for the help!

Edit: Oops.  I must have missed your little rant about the signs.  ^_^;  Anyways, that was really about my only gripe (and it was relatively small) about the entire weekend.  I had a fantastic time and met a lot of great people.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:51:36 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »
I know that it might be extremely inconvenient, but I really really think we should post a Yojimbo (or a Hotel Staff, or a designated police officer, etc) at the Pioneer Square MAX station from maybe 10PM-3AM.

I noticed a lot of little problems this year at the convention but this was the only thing that caused me to feel really uncomfortable and unsafe. By that late at night everyone creepy in downtown PDX has heard about the anime convention and everybody normal has gone to bed. I had some really uncomfortable situations myself and I've read about people having even worse experiences on the forums. I know that a security person at PS wouldn't fix everything, but at least people would know there was someone safe to ask for help outside the hotel.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:07:17 pm »
Here's another one:

5-Embedded con goers!  Basically, select a group of con goers that will attend panels and events like normal, and their only job is to report to someone so staff can get a feel for things.  Too much congestion somewhere?  Out of control attendees?  A staff member overstepping their boundaries?  They can report it.  Honestly, the last part, about reporting on out of control attendees/staff members acting out of turn doesn't really sound too good to me, since it seems like a sort of "secret con police" and I don't like that idea on principle.  But, I think it might be a good idea to have a staff of con attendees that you know will only provide helpful information and legitimate criticisms to help things flow nicely.  They'll kind of be on the front lines of the convention so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:08:07 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:33:23 pm »
Here's another one:

5-Embedded con goers!  Basically, select a group of con goers that will attend panels and events like normal, and their only job is to report to someone so staff can get a feel for things.  Too much congestion somewhere?  Out of control attendees?  A staff member overstepping their boundaries?  They can report it.  Honestly, the last part, about reporting on out of control attendees/staff members acting out of turn doesn't really sound too good to me, since it seems like a sort of "secret con police" and I don't like that idea on principle.  But, I think it might be a good idea to have a staff of con attendees that you know will only provide helpful information and legitimate criticisms to help things flow nicely.  They'll kind of be on the front lines of the convention so to speak.

I really like this idea and would be happy to do this. :3

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »

1- Lack of communication.  Too many staff were giving people conflicting information.  What one staff member said was okay another said was against the rules.  So lets say that there was a last minute change and now they need to move a line because it poses a fire hazard or some sort of safety risk.  How is that communicated to all the Yojimbo?  Is it done person to person?  Do the Yojimbo have radios to communicate?  I think an easy and cheap way to communicate any up to the minute news could be done via a special Twitter account for Kumoricon or a sort of e-mail list that would send SMS to the cellphones of the Yojimbo.  Twitter would be most convenient for its ease but I think an e-mail list with the SMS addresses of all the Yojimbo would be better.  If done this way, you could at least group certain e-mails and then send out the relevant information.  This is helpful because 1) there would be no unnecessary information for people that didn't need to know it 2) it would save on any incoming text charges.  I understand some volunteers might not like this idea since it could incur a cost to them, so it should be voluntary.  However, so long as it is done sparingly, how much could an extra 50 at maximum or so texts over the course of a weekend hurt you?

We are always working to figure out better ways to communicate.  Radios are used, but there are of course always never enough and plenty of staff don't carry them. I know my cell phone was busy all weekend just keeping in touch about guest and publicity things.

Part of the problem though is that many things are left up to the discretion of the specific people. And things like room caps changed some during the weekend as we had fire marshal issues (at least this is what I understood. Unfortunately, this is not my department at all.) Next year we will have a much clearer idea t the start about things like room caps and where there might be flow problems.

Stress management is also always something we try to work on, we tried to get staff feed and sent to bed, but there are plenty of great staff members who don't want to sleep until they are sure their is someone else to replace them, and that can't always be done. Our yojimbo are very hard working people!

And you're right about saying thank you and please. Those things make the day move so much more smoothly.

And embedded con goers is a nice idea. Ideally we have people monitoring each panel, ready to help out the panelists if needed, but that's not always the case.  This is definitely something volunteers could be doing. Remember, if you don't want all the responsibilities of staff, there is also volunteering.

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »
I know that it might be extremely inconvenient, but I really really think we should post a Yojimbo (or a Hotel Staff, or a designated police officer, etc) at the Pioneer Square MAX station from maybe 10PM-3AM.

I noticed a lot of little problems this year at the convention but this was the only thing that caused me to feel really uncomfortable and unsafe. By that late at night everyone creepy in downtown PDX has heard about the anime convention and everybody normal has gone to bed. I had some really uncomfortable situations myself and I've read about people having even worse experiences on the forums. I know that a security person at PS wouldn't fix everything, but at least people would know there was someone safe to ask for help outside the hotel.

The safety of our attendees is our highest concern. Unfortunately our abilities stop at the door due to liability issues. We have no real power outside the doors. Still, I wonder if something could be done that wasn't "official" but maybe ask for people who are willing to help set up a buddy system, so that if attendees feel like they need someone to walk with them, there could be some people available to walk with them. We'll definitely have to think about these things before next convention.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:03 pm »
The fire code issue rumor/facts are a big concern of mine.  I'd really like to know any areas that were detracting from the previously rated conditions and how we could improve them.  It could be as simple as better signage/hotel marking.

As an example, altering the lighting to have the exit paths and doors illuminated more than other areas, and reflective tape on the floor to mark emergency exit routes might help us.

If we keep that rolling door up, but have some kind of barrier that can be opened, but which would set off major fire alarms/such (and was clearly marked as so) that might solve escape issues.  I can see a -lot- of traffic flowing up that ramp safely at once.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
That gate was keep closed to prevent people from coming in and messing up the head count to keep the entire level within fire code. Plus people could just walk down the ramp and skip the line starting at the top of the escalators and people in line for a while wouldn't be able to get in if we had to close the doors when the main room capped.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:51 pm »
That gate was keep closed to prevent people from coming in and messing up the head count to keep the entire level within fire code. Plus people could just walk down the ramp and skip the line starting at the top of the escalators and people in line for a while wouldn't be able to get in if we had to close the doors when the main room capped.

Those security measures were at the wrong point.  Queue control is one thing, headcount control is another.

The firecode considerations should be at the door going in/out.  The line controls should be in other areas.  Ideally we could do ticketed/batch entry next year and do away with the lines entirely.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:15:51 am »
the only thing I wish would change is that events would start ON TIME and that the dances would start and hour earlier since the curfew for minors is midnight, the dances didn't start until 10:00 or 11:00 and they started LATE.

correct me if I'm wrong, but to be more fair to the minors, it should start around 9:00
isn't that how it was at 2008?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:13:58 am »
the only thing I wish would change is that events would start ON TIME and that the dances would start and hour earlier since the curfew for minors is midnight, the dances didn't start until 10:00 or 11:00 and they started LATE.

correct me if I'm wrong, but to be more fair to the minors, it should start around 9:00
isn't that how it was at 2008?

Things are never going to run without delays as we get no dress rehearsal.  I booked two bands for this year because "We've done it before and having two bands is awesome".  It was my booking two bands that caused the timing to be so tight.  My thought for next year is to limit us to one band to ease the strain on all that needs to go on in Main Events. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:46 am »
Besides, how do we get the kids out of the dance by midnight? I'm still confused at how this was supposed to work...
Do we just ask nicely? do Yojimbo get to go around with flashlights and check badges 1/2 durring the dance?

Or will there have to be an early dance for under-agers next year that ends early, everyone has to leave or have a stamp
or something....

AHH! it just seems like a logistical nightmare...!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56:57 am »
Besides, how do we get the kids out of the dance by midnight? I'm still confused at how this was supposed to work...
Do we just ask nicely? do Yojimbo get to go around with flashlights and check badges 1/2 durring the dance?

Or will there have to be an early dance for under-agers next year that ends early, everyone has to leave or have a stamp
or something....

AHH! it just seems like a logistical nightmare...!

~Allykat

It is a logistical nightmare.  I am just glad it's not my logistical nightmare.

Sak had tried the earlier dances aimed at minors at their con.  (The Sak I keep refering to is Sakuracon in Seattle if I am confusing anyone.  We are their 'little sister' con.)  Anyway, their attempts at that completely fell flat.  No one was interested.  Main events not only has to deal with lots of big events, but the different events need different chair and tech setups.  The dances need to be earlier.  Going down to one band and killing the Masquerade will help this alot. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:04:31 pm »
Yeah... There is Sak/S-con/Sakura-Con.... but if you are really in the know there is Sac-Anime in
Sacremento CA and then you are talking about Sak and Sac and you could really get confused!

LOL

I had a feeling a minors early dance just wouldn't work... well perhaps someone will come up with
an ingenious idea by October! Maybe since they are technically on private property in the hotel
as long as they are in the dance minors can have a specific little sticker on their badge that permits
them the DANCE ONLY as a way to stay up late. There room would have to be in the Hilton main
tower, barring youth who have to cross the street to the other executive tower-

see this is just too hard... oy!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 12:11:26 pm »
Yeah... There is Sak/S-con/Sakura-Con.... but if you are really in the know there is Sac-Anime in
Sacremento CA and then you are talking about Sak and Sac and you could really get confused!

LOL

I had a feeling a minors early dance just wouldn't work... well perhaps someone will come up with
an ingenious idea by October! Maybe since they are technically on private property in the hotel
as long as they are in the dance minors can have a specific little sticker on their badge that permits
them the DANCE ONLY as a way to stay up late. There room would have to be in the Hilton main
tower, barring youth who have to cross the street to the other executive tower-

see this is just too hard... oy!

~Allykat

We tried something similar to that last year, allowing minors to stay for dance only, and it did not work at all.  Alot of the minors wound up upset with us over 'well, if we can go to the dance why can't we go to this other thing?'

Also, if we don't keep logistics simple, people will get confused.  Alot of our logistics staff only ever get one training session and it's hard to learn tons of detailed info in one, long training session.

(At least Sac is pronounced Sack and Sak is pronounced Sock.  We used to have a con north of us called KeiCon, that was really confusing.  Also, I used to run games at Arcon.) 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
The only time we've had the dances earlier is when we didn't have a band.  If we want to go back to that, then no bands is an option.

The Masquerade Ball timing was not affected by a band, it was affected by the Cosplay Contest.  We can look at moving it earlier in the day (which has been expressed by others as not a good thing), or shortening it (same thing).  And I know this is not going to be a popular thing, but the Ball was a dance that minors were allowed to go to... it just wasn't a rave.

Like I said in Rant and Rave... it's a balance issue.  I have one big room to schedule all the big events, and timing is an issue.  We do our best to try and ensure that it is fair for everyone... we are not singling out any one group to screw over.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 12:20:07 pm »
The only time we've had the dances earlier is when we didn't have a band.  If we want to go back to that, then no bands is an option.

The Masquerade Ball timing was not affected by a band, it was affected by the Cosplay Contest.  We can look at moving it earlier in the day (which has been expressed by others as not a good thing), or shortening it (same thing).  And I know this is not going to be a popular thing, but the Ball was a dance that minors were allowed to go to... it just wasn't a rave.

Like I said in Rant and Rave... it's a balance issue.  I have one big room to schedule all the big events, and timing is an issue.  We do our best to try and ensure that it is fair for everyone... we are not singling out any one group to screw over.

Well, 'No Bands' is easier on my budget.  And it's something I hadn't considered.  It might be worth considering.  If people want dance more than band, then, yeah, cheaper and more popular is good.

Maybe we ... hrmm....  We must have music somehow.  (Is having thoughts)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 12:25:21 pm »
Overall I must say you did very well. I understand the escalators thing completely. When I went to Orycon 30 a year ago there was a fiasco at the Marriott involving someone's costume getting stuck in the escalator and mucking things up. Embarrasing eh?
My only real complaints were the elevators and the traffic. Also could you guys make it posible so VIPs can get front row seats for closing and opening ceremonies next year? These are my suggestions besides an idea for a guest of honor but I'll wait to give that till after the elections.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:40:05 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
Adding my 2 cents: I believe we should remove the massquerade and instead have a dance for the younger attendees so they dont feel so left out when curfew hits at the later dance.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:50:35 pm »
If people want bands... could we consider a mini battle of the bands?

Con-goers can sign up with their band and perform a 1-2 song set and have it
be a sort of competition or exhibition of fan bands, we can even ask them to try
and keep the songs anime/japanese based!

Thats free publicity for bands, and free bands for the con, this has probably already
been thought of and found to not have enough momentum behind it but... it might
show you... I don't know how many people are really intent on seeing a band at the
con...

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »
If people want bands... could we consider a mini battle of the bands?

Con-goers can sign up with their band and perform a 1-2 song set and have it
be a sort of competition or exhibition of fan bands, we can even ask them to try
and keep the songs anime/japanese based!

Thats free publicity for bands, and free bands for the con, this has probably already
been thought of and found to not have enough momentum behind it but... it might
show you... I don't know how many people are really intent on seeing a band at the
con...

~Allykat

We have equipment to setup on band on stage.  Every band requires slightly different tech.  We'd need two complete setups.  While one band played the other set would need to be changed over.  We'd need 2x the soundboards, amps, cords, mikes and tech crew.  And likely other fiddly things I am blissfully ignorant of ;)

Just to have two bands we have to have an one hour tech walkthrough to set up them and thier change-over. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58:57 pm »
We have equipment to setup on band on stage.  Every band requires slightly different tech.  We'd need two complete setups.  While one band played the other set would need to be changed over.  We'd need 2x the soundboards, amps, cords, mikes and tech crew.  And likely other fiddly things I am blissfully ignorant of ;)

Just to have two bands we have to have an one hour tech walkthrough to set up them and thier change-over.  

It may be worth having 'new' and 'old' equipment duplicating that task (or renting 2x as much; IDK what we do now), just to eliminate that 'waste hour' when we do have two bands.

Though I wonder why we don't have the bands on one night, and the dance stuff on another.
- edit -

Right, it wasn't the band, it was Cosplay... hum... It's too bad we can't hold Cosplay somewhere else that's large and open and easier tow wander in and out of...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:00:41 pm by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:10 pm »
We have equipment to setup on band on stage.  Every band requires slightly different tech.  We'd need two complete setups.  While one band played the other set would need to be changed over.  We'd need 2x the soundboards, amps, cords, mikes and tech crew.  And likely other fiddly things I am blissfully ignorant of ;)

It may be worth having 'new' and 'old' equipment duplicating that task (or renting 2x as much; IDK what we do now), just to eliminate that 'waste hour' when we do have two bands.

Though I wonder why we don't have the bands on one night, and the dance stuff on another.

It costs alot of money.  As it was, the bands were sharing some equipment to lessen setup time. Also, since we did not hit were we though we would on numbers, we have LESS money to plan next year, not MORE. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:43 pm »
- edit -

Right, it wasn't the band, it was Cosplay... hum... It's too bad we can't hold Cosplay somewhere else that's large and open and easier tow wander in and out of...

Saturday night, it was the bands followed by a dance.  Sunday, it was Cosplay, followed by the Masquerade Ball and another dance.  The problem we had was with the bands, not Cosplay.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08:01 pm »
How was the Attendance to the concert?? good? sub-par... none of my group
bothered with it... we had too many other things to do... No dis-respect to the bands it's
just... not why I would come to a Con... I'm just not a concert person I guess.

I say that knowing full well if I ever heard that L'arc en Ciel were performing in Portland,
I'd sell my soul to go see them...

*sigh*

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 02:33:42 pm »
It costs alot of money.  As it was, the bands were sharing some equipment to lessen setup time. Also, since we did not hit were we though we would on numbers, we have LESS money to plan next year, not MORE. 

Seeing as it seems to be a niche audience to begin with, do you think it would be possible to /paid/ tickets for the shows? I mean, at first it might seem ridiculous but this happens all the time at amusement parks and such and I imagine people who wanted bands would prefer paying $3-8 rather than them being cut entirely. This would lighten the financial strain, but I guess it wouldn't do much for scheduling conflicts.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 02:51:01 pm »

Seeing as it seems to be a niche audience to begin with, do you think it would be possible to /paid/ tickets for the shows? I mean, at first it might seem ridiculous but this happens all the time at amusement parks and such and I imagine people who wanted bands would prefer paying $3-8 rather than them being cut entirely. This would lighten the financial strain, but I guess it wouldn't do much for scheduling conflicts.

With the price of admission, we try to avoid charging extra for events if we can avoid it.  I have some plans to deal with this, but, can't really talk abotu them because:

a) New Board is not elected yet.
b) It's *reeeeealy* bad form to talk about potential guests.  All GoH and band bookings are kept secret until 100% confirmed and that will be a whiles off ... no matter who is running it. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 03:07:39 pm »
With the price of admission, we try to avoid charging extra for events if we can avoid it.  I have some plans to deal with this, but, can't really talk abotu them because:

b) It's *reeeeealy* bad form to talk about potential guests.  All GoH and band bookings are kept secret until 100% confirmed and that will be a whiles off ... no matter who is running it. 

And because Programming might kill you if it's found out that multiple bands are in the works >:(

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 03:14:55 pm »

And because Programming might kill you if it's found out that multiple bands are in the works >:(

See, if we get enough bands ... it will solve everything ...  Hey, at least you talked me out of having 4!  4 would have been sooo coooool... ;_;
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:25 pm »
It would seem to make more sense to me to have the Masquerade Ball on one night (all ages) and a concert/dance on the other night.  You'd only need one band.  And is there a way to start them an hour earlier?  I'm not used to being up that late anymore and I've been too tired by that time to mess with it. 

I don't suppose you can please everyone though.;)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »
It would seem to make more sense to me to have the Masquerade Ball on one night (all ages) and a concert/dance on the other night.  You'd only need one band.  And is there a way to start them an hour earlier?  I'm not used to being up that late anymore and I've been too tired by that time to mess with it. 

I don't suppose you can please everyone though.;)

The problem with shifting earlier is that it shifts everything else earlier. You may see grey patched between events in our rooms?  That is when we have our main events techs scrambling to set up for the next event.  We really have to have one less band, at least, in this venue. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Silvamord

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 01:49:38 am »

Out of my group of friends, we've never attended one concert in the couple years we've been at K-con. I'm not saying people don't enjoy them, but I know I haven't.
I adore the raves. In fact, they're probably my favorite event just because they're fun and not overly planned. The masquerade ball is awesome, I hope it will stay. Perhaps shuffling it to a different time slot is an option, like mid-day? I know this may get in the way of some other events people want to go to, but it would allow the rave to be moved earlier and I may be mistaken, but doesn't the masquerade ball have a limited capacity anyway? Just spitballing...

If you need additional people to assist with set-up, you could always begin a thread for volunteers. I'm sure some people wouldn't mind helping on one or two events if it meant things went quicker.

-edit -
whoops! Forgot about the cosplay thing that was going on... Perhaps that could be shifted slightly in the scheduling as well? Such as:
Day 1: Cosplay mid-day, Masquerade ball afternoon/evening, rave in late evening to early morning...
Day 2: Other events morning and mid-day, Concert afternoon, Rave evening to early morning...?

Again, I'm aware people have a huge issue with some events interfearing with other events. I had to choose between Slightly Anime Dating Game and the Masquerade Ball... but that's something that people will have issues with despite how hard people try to schedule things perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:55:21 am by Silvamord »

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 09:12:52 am »
whoops! Forgot about the cosplay thing that was going on... Perhaps that could be shifted slightly in the scheduling as well? Such as:
Day 1: Cosplay mid-day, Masquerade ball afternoon/evening, rave in late evening to early morning...
Day 2: Other events morning and mid-day, Concert afternoon, Rave evening to early morning...?

Having the Cosplay Contest mid-day is an extremely bad idea for a number of reasons - frankly, as a participant I thought it was too early this year already. Just off the top of my head:

1) Contestants need time to get into their costumes, and this can take a very long time (as an example of my own experience last year, Avatar Kyoshi's makeup alone took an hour and a half). If you hold it mid-day no one will have time to eat, and you really don't want contestants fainting backstage from stage nerves + lack of food.
2) Judging. You really can't hold craftsmanship judging any other time but before the show. So contestants need to get into their costumes, then get to judging...
3) Tech rehearsal. This one is the most crucial, actually. It's extremely important from a safety perspective to give people time to practice on the stage, and know how big it is and how to get on and off it safely. Especially if you're in a costume that restricts your vision or mobility. You can't necessarily see where the stage ends during the actual performance - those lights are pretty blinding. I've actually seen people fall off the stage because they didn't get a tech rehearsal, it's not pretty.

So... yeah. Short form - the earlier in the day you put the cosplay contest, the worse off everyone either participating in it or staffing it will be.

Offline Hakushaku

• Sailor Scout
    • http://hakushaku.deviantart.com
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 09:56:57 am »
-OVERALL-

I had a good time. Only one real minor incident with a Hotel Staff member. I was sitting on the table in the lobby which was against the wall beneath a large picture. The man came up and asked me if I sit on furniture at home and I said no and he asked me to please not sit on theirs. That was fine but the way he asked me to stop was just rude. And I did apologize, too. Also if there'd been more seating around that would have helped. It's not a big issue but even when people were in line to go downstairs on the non-moving escalators (which I now understand WHY they were turned-off) one of the Hotel Staff was expecting the line to move more and we just couldn't and a gal dressed as Sailor Mercury told the guy 'We CAN'T move!" Other than that it was okay. We had a Hotel Staff member named KEN help us on the last day to check-out. My friend's mother uses a walker and he would allow her to use the employee elevator as she couldn't wait for the regular elevators. The park was beautiful but not when we were approached by people who were either on crack or drunk and harassed us about how we looked and being called demonic freaks. One of the men said "Take that off" to me as my cosplay was Isaak from Trinity Blood and so some instantly think I'm dressed as a Nazi. So my friend and I did NOT go back there and won't go back there. We WERE enjoying watching a couple photo shoots there. I may have been born in Portland and lived there from birth to 1993 and have lived in Forest Grove since 1993, Portland can just have some really scary people compared to where I'm living. I also was not impressed with the mall across the street down a few blocks. It WAS good for meals, yes. Shopping, No. Better off to go to Lloyd Center.
I AM looking forward to K-con 2010 as it will be my 6th year attending!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:03:18 am by Hakushaku »
Kumoricon 2012/2013 Cosplay:

Count of Monte Cristo ~GANKUTSUOU~

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 11:58:44 am »
Um, why would you go shopping when there's an anime convention going on?  And in full costume?

Just sayin'... ::)

Is there a way to get a higher stage?  I was 2/3 the way back during the cosplay contest and skits, and I couldn't see a dang thing below waist level of the people on stage- several of the skits had people sitting down, and so I didn't get much out of the show.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:59:23 am by Kurohime »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 12:38:10 pm »

Is there a way to get a higher stage?  I was 2/3 the way back during the cosplay contest and skits, and I couldn't see a dang thing below waist level of the people on stage- several of the skits had people sitting down, and so I didn't get much out of the show.  

We likely can't for next year.  Those staging blocks are not free or cheap.  We are going to reign in cost where we can, but, we will do what we can :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 04:40:58 pm »
Even a small thing like making sure skits don't involve getting on the floor (couldn't even see the tube thing in the Wonderland skit) would help.  And would a plywood box for the presentees help things?  (Or several, if there's a group;))

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 04:44:31 pm »
Even a small thing like making sure skits don't involve getting on the floor (couldn't even see the tube thing in the Wonderland skit) would help.  And would a plywood box for the presentees help things?  (Or several, if there's a group;))

Hrmm... that could be good.  But, being far out of my department that is the sort of detail I am not going to keep track of and make sure happens next year.  Maybe you could bring the idea up to our Cosplay Manager or Main Events Techs next year? 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
YAY
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »
  I also was not impressed with the mall across the street down a few blocks. It WAS good for meals, yes. Shopping, No. Better off to go to Lloyd Center.

You are right, but as a portlander you should know that Pioneer Square is the rich-kids/
pearl district mall. It's not for anyone who wants to by anything less than coture. Except
there is a sanrio store down there... ^_^

And I'm glad your still going to K-con regardless of any ill feelings!

_Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:23 pm »
from the majority that I've read, and I hope I didn't miss anything...but...
I've never liked the bands, my friends have never liked the bands, and I've heard from friends that the bands play too many songs that arn't very good, too many songs that sound the same, and too many songs that you can't even dance too.

so if you cut something, my vote is the bands. Also...you don't HAVE to have 2 different dances. you could limit it to only the first night, that way it would leave room for more set-up time rather thant having to clean up after the cosplay contest.

but if you kept both dances, just have the first dance start around 8 or 9. there's no major events on the first day to delay set-up that I know of...and that way at least the 'minors who almost arn't minors anymore' like myself could actually GO to one. instead of neither.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet or not (and getting blocks of time with more detailed setup info in front would help) but...

Saturday:
10-12 Opening stuff
13-17 AMVs
19-21 One Band
22-24 Dance Dance Rave
Room Purge
00:30+ Masquerade Ball (Adults Only)

Sunday:
08-16 Cosplay prepwork/etc
17-20 Cosplay
22-24 Some other event? (Band/something I probably forgot...
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 06:59:57 pm »
ahhh! one last thing
I know it's a masquerade BALL, but that doesn't mean the DJ should play 'formal/ball' music. it's very VERY hard to dance to, so naturally, no one will.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 07:03:17 pm »
ahhh! one last thing
I know it's a masquerade BALL, but that doesn't mean the DJ should play 'formal/ball' music. it's very VERY hard to dance to, so naturally, no one will.

Whether to play Ball type music or more typical anime dance music is one of those situations where we just can't win.  No matter which we do at least half the people will be unhappy with the music.  I doubt the Masquerade Ball is happening again next year, at least at con. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

oslapedo

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 07:04:28 pm »
^ A ball mini event outside of con would be really cool.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »
I guess you're right. As much as I love dressing up in formal wear, and wearing detailed masks, it just isn't worth it if you're not going to have fun.

I guess we should stick to anime dances, it is an anime-con after all, but a FEW slow songs every now and then for the couples at the dances would be nice. and probably the best option as far as compromise goes.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 07:14:11 pm »
I guess you're right. As much as I love dressing up in formal wear, and wearing detailed masks, it just isn't worth it if you're not going to have fun.

I guess we should stick to anime dances, it is an anime-con after all, but a FEW slow songs every now and then for the couples at the dances would be nice. and probably the best option as far as compromise goes.

Maybe there could be a different event next year for people who want to play with formal wear.  We had a cosplay fashion show in addition to the cosplay contest this year.  If there is enough interest out there, maybe some sort of smaller event (as-in, not requiring the main events ballroom) could be put together?
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 01:16:25 am »
I was disappointed with badge pick up.  My friend pre-registered but had to wait in line for 1 hour and 45 mins, while friends who registered at con only took 5 mins.  There was really no point in pre-registering and saving $5.00 if it was going to take that long.  He did pre-reg right before it ended, but nonetheless, it shouldn't have taken that long.

I was also told, that I had to pick my badge up first, and turn it in for my artist alley badge, so I waited in line with him as well.  But when I got up there, no one knew what was going on, and it took a good 15 mins before anyone even told me anything, and all they told me was to get up at 6 am and get my badge from them.  Later I saw a sign saying Artist Alley picks up there badge in the Exhibitors Hall, but they didn't even tell me that.  I'd have felt a little better if they at least told me not to worry about it, and pick it up in Exhibitors Hall the next day, but they didn't know anything...

Finally, I know it probably couldn't be helped, but the Portland bums outside of the convention.  Many of them had no disregard for other people, I saw two cosplayers in extravagant costumes made of paper mache, and one bum was trying to smash another's costume, and headbutt the other, laughing about it.  Something should be done about keeping them away from the convention, though I know it might not be possible.

I was pleased with Artist Alley, but as awesome as it was this year, I felt sales were very low this time around, we didn't have alot of traffic it seemed like.  :/  I know it might not necessarily be the convention's fault for this, but a few people did come up to me and say that it took them forever to find Artist Alley.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:20:11 am by Chevi »

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »
Hum... if we're -expanding- the AA I have two ideas for it.

1) Grow it around the corner.
2) A mirror of some kind to make it obvious there is more stuff around the corner.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »
Hum... if we're -expanding- the AA I have two ideas for it.

1) Grow it around the corner.
2) A mirror of some kind to make it obvious there is more stuff around the corner.

I would also like to suggest making it so the AA doesn't lead into a dead-end. It really would seem to hurt sales for the people at the dead-end because people (like me) who don't want to press through the crowds filling rest of the the AA don't ever even see their booth up close.