Author Topic: Pax got Swine Flu  (Read 5868 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Pax got Swine Flu
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:09:56 pm »
Just found this out when I was catching up on my webcomics.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/9/7/

I can see our 2010 fliers now, "Come to Kumoricon, don't catch Swine Flu!"
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Pax got Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »
chris was telling me about this,
wow one point for k-con in the k-con vs pax debate

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:22 pm »
Wow. That's all I really have to say. Who's up for more SWINE FLU jokes NOW?
Sakuracon~

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:28:20 pm »
FEMA's GOING TO GET THEM IN THEIR DEATH CAMPS!!!

...too soon?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:24 pm »
That's entirely insane.
Honestly the only reason I was eating at Staff Preservation (besides being too broke, overworked, and underslept to try to eat elsewhere) was because SP staff were preparing and handing out food, not having everyone grab it themselves as I recall from Sak SP '07. I skipped the taco bar (well I went up a couple times but electricity kept shorting out--thanks to Kylite for leaving R & R to handle it as soon as I mentioned it!) just in case they were going to have everyone just go down the line buffet style. I'm basically staying away from any buffet these days (there is no restricted "flu season" for this strain).
I work in a travel medicine clinic so I know the vaccine is coming but not yet publicly available. I don't know if I'll take it (I'm a chicken) but the regular season flu vaccine is already out. I thank Jaki for providing hand sanitizers at Prog Suite and for each of our Creation Station rooms. Of note the 3rd floor women's room was routinely out of soap, there should've been sanitizer in there as well, could facilities please work on that with the hotel. It's in their best interests to install dispensers and refill them more often! Prayers for the healing of those who are sick.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:08:44 pm »
I actually had an issue with several bathrooms where the water or soap would NOT dispense like they should have.  They were motion sensors and nothing seemed to work to get them to turn on.  I tried to go downstairs where they had the manual sinks but was stopped at the escalators because it was closed for the gaming competition.  Luckily, I'm paranoid and carried around some hand sanitizer with me.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:18:03 pm »
I actually had an issue with several bathrooms where the water or soap would NOT dispense like they should have.  They were motion sensors and nothing seemed to work to get them to turn on.  I tried to go downstairs where they had the manual sinks but was stopped at the escalators because it was closed for the gaming competition.  Luckily, I'm paranoid and carried around some hand sanitizer with me.

I noted Purell and stuff like that being used in both Con Suite and the Prog Office.  I also bought Purell wipes for my AA and EX Hall Managers.  We might want to make Purell fairly standard in all con offices. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »
Actually, that's really sad indeed, and nothing to joke about (in case anyone was planning to do so). This is quite serious indeed.
I'm glad I didn't go to PAX, no doubt about it, but people need to be careful any where they are. Heck, someone could have had it at KCon and we don't yet know it.
Hopefully no one from KCon will get sick, but it never hurts to play it safe... Always wash your hands in the bathroom and before eating, don't share food or drinks with other people, stay away from anyone who acts sickly... Oh, and you should probably keep your distance from hobos too. :P
It's a good idea to keep some hand sanitizer with you too, as other people have already, and just use it every so often just in case... I'd also recommend taking vitamins. Not just for the flu, but just for general health. I take a vitamin C pill every day, and I must admit I feel better since I've started doing that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:30:33 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:34:15 pm »
Be sure the brand of sanitizer has aloe vera in it, otherwise hands get too dry, and if skin cracks, that makes it more susceptible to receive or spread infection!
We should have masks available somewhere at con (1st aid booth?) for anyone who becomes symptomatic (fever, chills, aches, coughs).
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline talkwithtim

• Cabbit
    • Talk with Tim
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:53:21 pm »
Sucks to be PAX. But seriously, I wish the two events were on different weekends.
Tim Moon from TalkwithTim.com
Follow me on Twitter here.
Kumoricon Pics

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:55:54 pm »
Actually, that's really sad indeed, and nothing to joke about (in case anyone was planning to do so). This is quite serious indeed.

Oh I am planning to joke about it eventually. Right now I just want everyone to know so they can worry or feel smug on their own. Once Gabe and Tycho give the all clear follow up we can begin the laughs.

For now though I wanted everyone to know ASAP since we have so many staff and attendees up in the Seattle area.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
Seriously, if someone had flu the best defense against it would be to stay in good shape.  People that slept 3 hours a night, never bathed and were malnourished would be more likely to get any sickness than those that took care of themselves and ate healthy.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »
That would be bad if it occurred @ Sakura-con...*knock on wood*   :o
And so it begins...

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:21:29 pm »
That would be bad if it occurred @ Sakura-con...*knock on wood*   :o

Fall is the worst time for flu problems.  And by then we should have a vaccine for it.  From what the news is saying, the problem is that we wont have it in time for the expected fall outbreak. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 01:30:07 pm »
Resident Swine-Flu.... Outbreak.

:o

Oh well, it just means our zombie survival plans for next year will have to be in tip
top working order just in case h1n1 suddenly becomes a mutated zombie virus.

Though from what I heard, the Yojimbo were ALL OVER that ^_^

as I mentioned zombie's in the reg line;

"HEY! There is absoultely NO NEED to worry about... (whisper) zombies (unwhisper)...
We have a very good plan in place for any kind of outbreak!"

made my day at 5am

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »
Actually from what I've heard from some swine flu survivors...
it really wasn't as bad as the hype.

Although they were not in the high risk groups.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:42:43 pm by Meganekko »
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:22 pm »
I'm not worried about H1N1(A)2009 at all. Only if it kills as many people in a year as 'normal' seasonal flu does (500,000 world wide) will I become worried.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »
Yeah, the most dangerous part of H1N1 is that people are soo freaked out about it and that the media has been making it look like the flu apocalypse is near.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 10:13:45 pm »
Yeah, the most dangerous part of H1N1 is that people are soo freaked out about it and that the media has been making it look like the flu apocalypse is near.

No, the most dangerous part is if it mutates - as viruses like to do - in such a direction that it starts acting more like the 1918 strain that may have killed more people worldwide than the Black Plague.

Normal flu is bad enough, no doubt. But it's too-far removed from the 1918 strain to for it to be reasonably possible that it could behave the same way. This particular virus is a lot more genetically similar to the 1918 strain, and it's very possible that it'll make the jump. Trouble is, no one knows for sure exactly what the probability is.

I agree that the media loves to get attention with scare tactics. (I'm old enough to remember "killer bees.") And I agree that it's horrible to try to make people live in fear; I stopped watching American TV news close to a decade ago for that reason.

But this one is a very real cause for concern. The only reason it hasn't flared up until now is that SE Asian governments are a lot more willing to cooperate with WHO on slaughtering livestock than the governments where agriculture corporations have lobbyists.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »
Dude we have 30 cases of swine flu here on campus at the University Of Arizona
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »
lol maybe next year I'll have a cosplay that incorparates a Gas mask.
Team Koga

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 02:05:53 am »
lol maybe next year I'll have a cosplay that incorparates a Gas mask.

Lovely