Author Topic: Drugs at Con  (Read 21195 times)

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
Drugs at Con
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:07 pm »
Ok, so next year I'm going to be a Yojimbo as well as a few other things that I will be doing. I would like to know of any experiences that any con-goer might have had, positive or negative when it pertains to drugs. I had to deal with some people having bad trips(that is NOT good)! :-X So please let me know!

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Drugs at Con
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:27:04 pm »
Drugs is bad, mmmkay? Get high on anime! :(

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »
Someone was doing drugs at the con?  ??? ??? ???

But it's like Disneyland! The happiest place on earth! There's no drugs in Kumoricon. lol.

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:32:29 pm »
Wow. That's sad if someone did.  :o

Fortunately, I didn't come across anyone like this.  :)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
With the noise and confusion inherent in any con?  It's a bad idea and also very, very against our policies. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:34 pm »
if you find someone who actually decides to do drugs, inject them with hallucinogen, than tie them up and force them to watch something like Excel Saga, just to teach them drugs are bad the hard way.

But in all seriousness, certain drugs could in fact kill you, even the one's prescribed by a doctor. Let's see, Methonaul, if even a little bit over the amount is taken can cause you to start throwing up blood and has a hi chance of killing the user. Cocaine has a mix of effects, Marijuana isn't bad, it's just illegal. Let's see, a few other bad drugs are things like Adrenocrome (it's made from a human adrenalin gland) it tends to have a worse reaction than speed to where everything tends to quicken to such a degree that your heart could literally explode and it could even cause hallucinations. I'm trying to remember some other drugs that should never be used under any circumstances, but I think I posted some of the worst stuff I've ever had to study and have seen the effect of on others.

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:36 pm »
Well it doesn't stop people from doing drugs at the con. I was appointed to find people that where high. I don't mean smoking pot, I mean things like E. There was a few people at the dances. It can ruin peoples fun. I know that there where a lot of people that were high. I just sent them back to there rooms b/c there are really no policy's about them other than don't do it. :-X

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Ac-town

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:01:52 pm »
What you do outside of con is your own business. If you bring it into the con, then it becomes an issue. Thats how I see it.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »
Kcon hosts a Rave. You Will Have People On E. Raves Attract Pill Poppers. You Cant Get Around It. Unless you stop hosting the rave (what is typically called the dance, its really a rave.) I think the best thing to do is what a previous poster said they did. Just send them back to their rooms. If you start getting cops or parents involved you start getting sued and losing the ability to host such events

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »
I see it that way as well. It was really hard dealing with people that were high on drugs. I'm not talking about drinking or smoking pot. I'm talking about acid and other drugs that make you see ****. That was really hard to get them to listen and I can spot it from a mile away. I know its an all ages and that' what makes it harder.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »
Kcon hosts a Rave. You Will Have People On E. Raves Attract Pill Poppers. You Cant Get Around It. Unless you stop hosting the rave (what is typically called the dance, its really a rave.) I think the best thing to do is what a previous poster said they did. Just send them back to their rooms. If you start getting cops or parents involved you start getting sued and losing the ability to host such events

Well that's what I did. The board didn't know that there was drugs going on. Hence why they appointed me to look for it. We had to get a person out of one of the dances that couldn't even stand.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »
I see it that way as well. It was really hard dealing with people that were high on drugs. I'm not talking about drinking or smoking pot. I'm talking about acid and other drugs that make you see ****. That was really hard to get them to listen and I can spot it from a mile away. I know its an all ages and that' what makes it harder.

I saw a few people that had gigantic pupils and I'm thinking, "Yeahhhhhhh... and you want to hug me? D:"

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:23:25 pm »
 I would have to agree with Rathany...the con's already bring in a type of controlled chaos...would be a bad idea indeed. Not to mention there are kids there as well as adults that deserve a drug free environment.  As was already stated, that kind of thing could ruin people's fun as well as endanger our right to have such an event. So please, do that on YOUR time and not everybody else's. 

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:48 pm »

I saw a few people that had gigantic pupils and I'm thinking, "Yeahhhhhhh... and you want to hug me? D:"
[/quote]

There you go. I met quite a few people like that. The hugs are okay, its just when they can't stand and there to f-ed up. One person tried to hug the assistant ops director. LOL he called me to check to see if they were on E. It was funny but not at the same time. 

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »
Thats the thing with acid. If you try to intervene at all you are going to change their trip. Acid is a brain reprogrammer. If you mess with someone on acid theres a pretty good chance you are going to be directly **** with their subconscious. Its a bitch but if you leave them alone then they **** with others, if you interact with them then you could be doing more harm than you know. So the question arises when you have to ask. When does the person on acid give up the right to be effected by others? How do we respect their person while trying to get them to respect ours? What do we do? My suggestions?

- Toss them out of the hotel/con space. Let them walk around outside in a corner until they come back to us.
OR
- Have a room where you can put people found to be on drugs (like a drunk tank, only for acid), and this is important. Have a special yojimbo or other staff member who is very familiar with the effects of acid and able to talk people down through bad trips. Have them come and trip sit. After they are "resuscitated" maybe that staff member or yojimbo can talk to them about it and see if they want help. Connect them to some kind of drug recovery version of al-anon. If they dont want help or they refuse to cooperate after they've "come back" kick them out of the con.

NOW. If its something else entirely like mushrooms, just let them sit somewhere and watch fancy lights. Most of the time the best way to deal with drugged people is to just let them sit and come off the high.

If they are on E, theres probably a good chance at a rave or anywhere else for that matter they are going to be getting pretty handsy with people who dont like it. Toss them out of the con space. E doesnt have the same kind of subconscious reprogramming from a bad trip that Acid or LSD does.

Anything harder like Heroine or Meth, call the cops.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 01:32:52 pm »
Man where is a giant play-pen when you need one. ::)
Secrety secrets!

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »
Thats the thing with acid. If you try to intervene at all you are going to change their trip. Acid is a brain reprogrammer. If you mess with someone on acid theres a pretty good chance you are going to be directly **** with their subconscious. Its a bitch but if you leave them alone then they **** with others, if you interact with them then you could be doing more harm than you know. So the question arises when you have to ask. When does the person on acid give up the right to be effected by others? How do we respect their person while trying to get them to respect ours? What do we do? My suggestions?

- Toss them out of the hotel/con space. Let them walk around outside in a corner until they come back to us.
OR
- Have a room where you can put people found to be on drugs (like a drunk tank, only for acid), and this is important. Have a special yojimbo or other staff member who is very familiar with the effects of acid and able to talk people down through bad trips. Have them come and trip sit. After they are "resuscitated" maybe that staff member or yojimbo can talk to them about it and see if they want help. Connect them to some kind of drug recovery version of al-anon. If they dont want help or they refuse to cooperate after they've "come back" kick them out of the con.

NOW. If its something else entirely like mushrooms, just let them sit somewhere and watch fancy lights. Most of the time the best way to deal with drugged people is to just let them sit and come off the high.

If they are on E, theres probably a good chance at a rave or anywhere else for that matter they are going to be getting pretty handsy with people who dont like it. Toss them out of the con space. E doesnt have the same kind of subconscious reprogramming from a bad trip that Acid or LSD does.

Well the special person is me! Mushrooms can have the same reprogramming as acid. I know b/c I've taken both. I've taken E as well. That's why I'm the head of this. I have a very good ability of turning bad trips into good ones. With acid or mushrooms, its like a snowball effect. If there having a bad thought then its going to go bad. Same with a good thought. Letting them sit IS the best way to go. Making sure that there in a positive environment when there sitting. The thing is, its not illegal to be high. That's what makes this a hard thing to deal with.     

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
By the way, Acid and LSD is the same thing

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 01:52:03 pm »
By the way, Acid and LSD is the same thing
Poor punctuation on my part. I should have used a / instead of the word or.
They are the same thing, sometimes they are called one or the other based on the form they are in.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:37 pm »
Hmph, I look on the whole concept of taking drugs with contempt  >:(. I never saw anyone doing any drugs myself but the prospect of someone at the convention taking drugs makes me sick! As a martial artist i pride myself on taking care of myself that means no illegal drugs. Some of my younger male schoolmates from the Taekwondo demonstration were high but on naturally occuring hormones. The sight of some of the ladies there in their outfits sent their hormones into overdrive. But nope I didn't see any illegal drugs at the convention only naturally occuring silliness  :D.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:09:21 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:30 pm »
The fact that the concept of doing drugs is even being given any leniency here is kind of shocking to me. These are illegal drugs, people are doing them at a family-friendly event, and people are basically saying "eh, stuff happens. Just tolerate it." What kind of an approach to doing illegal drugs is that? Just put them in a room and let them come off their high? Are you insane? IF any self-respecting business had that approach they'd be in the gutter before you could spell it.

This seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm the first person to seem to think it, so maybe I'm just off-base with it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:59:27 pm »
And I look on Taekwondo being a martial art with contempt. But we cant force our personal beliefs, opinions and choices on others. They have the free will to do drugs if they want to. Its a different social culture. Yeah we see it as destructive and maybe we hate, love or pitty those that do them but either way we cant just write it off, sooner or later kcon has to come up with a way to deal with those that do them in the con space.

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »
"Anything harder"?! Are you serious? I'm sorry, but an illegal drug is an illegal drug for a reason. I've been through enough health classes and having to be adopted at birth from a drug-addicted mother (quick switch off: when she knew she was having me she stopped to get me a good life) to know the effects of drugs. It's of course having to do with the safety of others, but the safety of yourself is JUST AS IMPORTANT. You could think you are bringing the right dose to do or have done, but it could be a lot stronger than expected and you could seriously be harmed by it. And yes, I do mean such things as LSD, MDMA, or anything else including alcohol or tobacco. By saving yourself from harm you will be saving others as well.

JUST DON'T DO THEM! ESPECIALLY AT OUR KUMORICON!

(I do understand different beliefs and opinions, I am just stating my own, to make things clear.)
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:10:41 pm »
I personally think there should be a zero tolerance policy towards drugs.  And that would extend to alcohol: if you're drunk in the con before midnight, you're booted!  But that's just me. ^_^;

(I imagine there's a similar policy already in place.. but I'm not familiar with the particulars or how much it is enforced.)

It just seems too dangerous to tolerate drugs at the con.  What you do in your personal time is your choice.  But when you're at the convention surrounded by lots of kids you could potentially be placing them in danger.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 02:11:16 pm »
I know a way to discourage drug use at con, make em eat spam and stick them in a bouncy castles
and shake

but seriously, between caffeine, candy, the booze in peeps rooms and lack of sleep we do not need to add drugs into the mix
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 02:15:50 pm »
I know a way to discourage drug use at con, make em eat spam and stick them in a bouncy castles
and shake

but seriously, between caffeine, candy, the booze in peeps rooms and lack of sleep we do not need to add drugs into the mix

Caffeine, candy, hell even anime are/can be drugs.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 02:19:13 pm »
I personally think there should be a zero tolerance policy towards drugs.  And that would extend to alcohol: if you're drunk in the con before midnight, you're booted!  But that's just me. ^_^;

(I imagine there's a similar policy already in place.. but I'm not familiar with the particulars or how much it is enforced.)

It just seems too dangerous to tolerate drugs at the con.  What you do in your personal time is your choice.  But when you're at the convention surrounded by lots of kids you could potentially be placing them in danger.

Im curious where you would place the line between having alcohol in a con space and being part of a con in a public place? At what point does one become a public nuisance and the other not?

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 02:20:48 pm »
I'm consider the expert on this. That's why they have me doing this. Being high is not illegal though. You just can't have anything on you. Oregon is a weird state. You can be high in public just not drunk. You juts can't kick them out of the con. That would be the worst thing you could do. When they sober up the yes you might be able to kick them out but not when there high. This is a trick subject. YOU HAVE TO KEEP THEM SAFE! The reason for this posting is to see what other con-goers had to say and to see if they saw people, that way we can get a handle on it next year. You have to be careful when handling things like this. If they freak out, that's not good. Kicking them out could freak them out more. When on things like acid, people can get Hulk rage. Trying to physically move them out of the space is not good either. They can get as strong as the Hulk.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »

I fully concur with pulling badges and being escorted out of con space for drug use.  Some drug use should also get people blacklisted.  But, anyway, yeah, if there are any flaws with our policy's it's for teh next Board to look into :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 02:25:59 pm »
And I look on Taekwondo being a martial art with contempt. But we cant force our personal beliefs, opinions and choices on others. They have the free will to do drugs if they want to. Its a different social culture. Yeah we see it as destructive and maybe we hate, love or pitty those that do them but either way we cant just write it off, sooner or later kcon has to come up with a way to deal with those that do them in the con space.

So true. You just can't kick them out of the con. We do need a way to handle this.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 02:28:46 pm »
I personally think there should be a zero tolerance policy towards drugs.  And that would extend to alcohol: if you're drunk in the con before midnight, you're booted!  But that's just me. ^_^;

It just seems too dangerous to tolerate drugs at the con.  What you do in your personal time is your choice.  But when you're at the convention surrounded by lots of kids you could potentially be placing them in danger.

Im curious where you would place the line between having alcohol in a con space and being part of a con in a public place? At what point does one become a public nuisance and the other not?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  But why should something have to become a nuisance before it's dealt with?  Alcohol in particular has a history of making its users louder, aggressive, less shy than they might normally be.  In an area that is already loud, crowded, and full of people that are less than shy.. do we really want that? :P  Maybe "zero tolerance" for alcohol is a bit much, since there are people that just like to have a drink or two casually.  I guess my solution is that if someone is visibly drunk, harassing people, acting inappropriate, etc. then you have can deal with them by asking them to go to their hotel room or arrange to have them leave the convention until they are capable of acting appropriately. If they refuse to cooperate, revoke their badge. Of course, this might be standard operating procedure already.  I've never really looked too much into it.  I'm sure the Yojimbo/staff know this stuff.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:31:06 pm by reppy »

Offline CMD Productions

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:47 pm »
I agree that staffers should not be the ones dealing with people who are tripping or intoxicated by non legal means.  There is just too much liability that the con would have assume. Although it's not ideal it may be worth it to hire portland police officers to watch the dances or invite them to stop by. Forming a line of communication with the authorities may lessen the impact. I've been to tons of shows where the venue or promotors hire off duty police officers just to keep an eye on things. If nothing else it would make people feel safe and make the more shady individuals think twice about being openly messed up at our con spaces.

P.S.
Do not get rid of the booze at the con! I need a way to get to sleep after all the energy drinks... and deal with the hotel staff.

;p

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »

I fully concur with pulling badges and being escorted out of con space for drug use.  Some drug use should also get people blacklisted.  But, anyway, yeah, if there are any flaws with our policy's it's for teh next Board to look into :)

I don't condone drugs but just kicking them out could have adverse effects. I don't have tolerance for it and neither does the con but kicking them out? Where would we draw the line of "some drug use"? To much caffeine is consider speed. You know?

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »
I still think the approach is being too lenient. You're afraid of "Freaking people out" and "messing with their trips". That's just a weird approach to me. Allowing drug use to go on uninterrupted because it may "ruin their experience" is the biggest crock I've ever heard.

If they are already putting themselves in danger and risking their badge by doing the drugs, don't accommodate them by giving them a circle of isolation, so to speak. They chose to violate policies when they did the drugs; they weren't high before doing them, so you can't say they didn't understand the risks, because they did.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:34:42 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 02:34:45 pm »

So true. You just can't kick them out of the con. We do need a way to handle this.

When we have an actual situation every effort needs to be for safety first.  But, I can't see any future board of Kcon being somehow OK with drug use at con. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »

I don't condone drugs but just kicking them out could have adverse effects. I don't have tolerance for it and neither does the con but kicking them out? Where would we draw the line of "some drug use"? To much caffeine is consider speed. You know?
QFT
I still think the approach is being too lenient. You're afraid of "Freaking people out" and "messing with their trips". That's just a weird approach to me. Allowing drug use to go on uninterrupted because it may "ruin their experience" is the biggest crock I've ever heard.
Its not about ruining their experience. Its about doing irreparable damage to them by interacting in a way that directly **** up their subconscious.

I agree that staffers should not be the ones dealing with people who are tripping or intoxicated by non legal means.  There is just too much liability that the con would have assume. Although it's not ideal it may be worth it to hire portland police officers to watch the dances or invite them to stop by. Forming a line of communication with the authorities may lessen the impact. I've been to tons of shows where the venue or promotors hire off duty police officers just to keep an eye on things. If nothing else it would make people feel safe and make the more shady individuals think twice about being openly messed up at our con spaces.

P.S.
Do not get rid of the booze at the con! I need a way to get to sleep after all the energy drinks... and deal with the hotel staff.

;p

Im usually against inviting the Portland Police, they are waaaay too tazer happy.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:19 pm »
I personally think there should be a zero tolerance policy towards drugs.  And that would extend to alcohol: if you're drunk in the con before midnight, you're booted!  But that's just me. ^_^;

It just seems too dangerous to tolerate drugs at the con.  What you do in your personal time is your choice.  But when you're at the convention surrounded by lots of kids you could potentially be placing them in danger.

I fully concur with pulling badges and being escorted out of con space for drug use.  Some drug use should also get people blacklisted.  But, anyway, yeah, if there are any flaws with our policy's it's for teh next Board to look into :)

I've never known anyone that drank too much caffeine and then thought they were being attacked by an amorphous blob.  But that's just me. ^_^;

I don't particularly like the idea of a "trip" room.  I can't imagine having a room full of people freaking out on acid, mushrooms, methamphetamine, etc. is a particularly good idea.  I understand your concern for their safety but Kumoricon isn't Woodstock 2009 or something. :P  I would imagine something could be arranged for them to be taken somewhere safe for the duration of their trip.

I imagine a lot of the people that are using drugs at the con are adults.  If they're minors, then they should have a guardian with them.  While I think it is important for the con staff to ensure the environment is safe for everyone, I don't think it's their job to babysit.

(I hope people don't think I'm some anti-drug nut or something.  I don't particularly care what you do in your own home.  It's when you bring it into public and expose me to it that I have a problem.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:38:33 pm by reppy »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 02:38:00 pm »
Isn't that what emergency contact info and the like is for? Of course, don't just throw them out at the second, but if someone is caught doing drugs or high or something, they should be taken somewhere by proper authorities (not necessarily THE authorities), and held while their kin or whoever comes to pick them up, if available. One offense should be enough for a revocation of con admittance/admission, though. They can stay til they come off it, if required, but I'd say their time at the con would be up after that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:38:58 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO DEAL WITH SOMEONE HAVING A BAD TRIP? Trust me, you do not want to freak them out! It is not a crock btw. I know people that when having a bad trip, the hurt people. I mean put them in the E.R.

Besides that fact, kicking them out of the con just puts the hassle of taking care of them onto someone else. Really, kicking them out is just the coward's way of dealing with the problem. Making sure that they're safe should be our number one priority. We do that for everyone else, don't we?

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40:29 pm »
But everyone else doesn't purposefully put themselves on the punitive side of Kumoricon's responsibility. Nowhere in the policies do they say "smoke 'em if you got 'em." It is a discouraged act, and they break Kumoricon's responsibility for providing them with a good time when they choose to break the policies.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:40:48 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:41:46 pm »

I've never known anyone that drank too much caffeine and then thought they were being attacked by an amorphous blob.  But that's just me. ^_^;

I don't particularly like the idea of a "trip" room.  I can't imagine having a room full of people freaking out on acid, mushrooms, methamphetamine, etc. is a particularly good idea.  I understand your concern for their safety but Kumoricon isn't Woodstock 2009 or something. :P  I would imagine something could be arranged for them to be taken somewhere safe for the duration of their trip.
Also, if we had a 'trip room' we might become liable if the people hurt themselves.  This is similar to why we cannot provide 'quiet space' for people with mental disabilities.  It creates a liabilty for us.  If people need 'quiet space', they need to have a hotel room for it.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:20 pm »
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO DEAL WITH SOMEONE HAVING A BAD TRIP? Trust me, you do not want to freak them out! It is not a crock btw. I know people that when having a bad trip, the hurt people. I mean put them in the E.R.

Besides that fact, kicking them out of the con just puts the hassle of taking care of them onto someone else. Really, kicking them out is just the coward's way of dealing with the problem. Making sure that they're safe should be our number one priority. We do that for everyone else, don't we?
I agree, Safety is job #1. After that, I dunno. Calling the emergency contact is probably a good way to go. Have them come pick them up. Yes its passing off the problem to someone else, but that someone else is going to be a friend or family that is (hopefully) going to want to help them. I do think that certain drugs warrent being blacklisted. If you are doing acid, heroin or meth then they should be prevented from coming back. Weed? Maybe a slap on the wrist.

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »
Having a trip room isn't the best idea but a safe place for them is.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »

Yes.  I lived in a house where 5 out of the 6 people were meth addicts.  (I was the only person that wasn't.)  I've been around drugs quite a bit, unfortunately.

Of course their safety is important.  The safety of all con goers is important.  However, when you bring something into the convention that has the potential to be dangerous for yourself or others then you ought to lose your privilege to attend.  Obviously, every effort should be taken to ensure that the person is well accounted for before being removed from the convention.

Can you imagine how much !@#$ Kumoricon would have to deal with if it was known that there was a "drug room" where people could come down from their trips?  Remember all the hubbub over raves a few years ago?  It would be that all over again: Kumoricon would be run out of town!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:36 pm »
Maybe the key here isn't so much inherently providing space, but having space that might 'coincidently' work for it.  Perhaps a room with some soothing naptime anime and bean bags.

No Akira Teddy bear trips in sight ^.^;
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 02:48:32 pm »
Maybe the key here isn't so much inherently providing space, but having space that might 'coincidently' work for it.  Perhaps a room with some soothing naptime anime and bean bags.

No Akira Teddy bear trips in sight ^.^;
I support this idea.

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »
Thank you for all the feedback. I will be able to help now with some policy's. K-con would never condone drugs but the fact of the matter is, people are going to do them. Brandon assigned me to get a some info together. You guys are very helpful. I don't think that a room for people to trip is good but the police can't arrest them either. Being high is not illegal. I have quite a few Meth addicts in my family as well. I do know how deal people that are on drugs.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 02:54:12 pm »
I like that idea, because it does not encourage drug use or allow it, but it gives them a place to mellow until they are sane enough to be removed.

Still, may be a hazard having multiple skyrocketers in one place. *shrug* No easy answer.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:45 pm »
I like that idea, because it does not encourage drug use or allow it, but it gives them a place to mellow until they are sane enough to be removed.

Still, may be a hazard having multiple skyrocketers in one place. *shrug* No easy answer.

Your right, there is no easy answer. It would be easier to handle if it were illegal to be high. Then the cops could take care of it.

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 02:59:31 pm »
I'm sorry but as for the safety of those who did the drugs, they willingly did so, and thus endangered their own safety.

I don't like seeing them get hucked out, and possibly going to play in traffic or what not, but I like seeing people who were doing the right thing being harassed by people who used illegal drugs even less.

This is a family con, this is a legal con.  People pay to come here and have a good time, and if they are doing drugs they are infringing upon other con goers good time which is not right, more over they have broken the law by having possessed the drugs to do them.  There can be no tolerance, maybe if they get their act together they can come back next year when they are not an issue to other people.

As for a trip room, not cool at all.  Besides the fact that we would be run out of town, no one would host us with that.  Also its dangerous.  No matter how much drug experience somebody has, there is always the unknown of how a specific individual will react... you cannot control their trips and if something goes wrong it is then on the con.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.