Author Topic: Salem Anime Convention  (Read 11254 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Salem Anime Convention
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:32:18 am »
Does anyone know about an Anime Convention thats supposedly supposed to start in Salem Oregon?
I heard a group of people talking about it at Kumoricon but didn't catch the name or any specfic details. I'm really interested in this because I live in Salem.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Re: Salem Anime Convention
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:20 am »
[sarcasm & humor]

Cereal? Kumori-con ended barely a day ago and already you are looking for love elsewhere!?!
Is your lust for convention never satisfied?!! How dare you!?? She Loved you! She gave you
everything she had and then some! And now you are looking for someone new? Just like that?
Just because she is younger and smaller... so WHAT if Kumori-con has gotten a little big! It's
just that much more for you to love! Can't you see you are killing her by treating her like
yesterdays garbage!!???

[/sarcasm & humor]

This is an interesting development, it would be very schway to have a willamette valley area
convention, as we here on the west side loves us some anime, but hates us some portland
traffic! Hehe... Keep me posted!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:21 am »
[sarcasm & humor]

Cereal? Kumori-con ended barely a day ago and already you are looking for love elsewhere!?!
Is your lust for convention never satisfied?!! How dare you!?? She Loved you! She gave you
everything she had and then some! And now you are looking for someone new? Just like that?
Just because she is younger and smaller... so WHAT if Kumori-con has gotten a little big! It's
just that much more for you to love! Can't you see you are killing her by treating her like
yesterdays garbage!!???

[/sarcasm & humor]

This is an interesting development, it would be very schway to have a willamette valley area
convention, as we here on the west side loves us some anime, but hates us some portland
traffic! Hehe... Keep me posted!

~Allykat

That was just tooooo funny! LMAO!  Wow, Salem, huh? That would be close to home for me! Google didn't tell me anything..

Momma said Google has all answers!!! lol, j/k :)
And so it begins...

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:52:45 am »
[sarcasm & humor]

yesterdays garbage!!???

LMFAO!!
What?!! Other people can go to Sakuracon, Anime Expo, Fanime, Mew con, and Kumoricon and I can't go to another one? lol
I've only ever gone to Kumoricon. I can only afford so much, which is why I haven't been to Sakuracon yet, I'd rather go to K-Con. But if theres one starting up in Salem, I could stay at home and attend! Plus, if it gets bigger, I can claim I was there from the start! I missed Kumoricons start by one year T____T I was told about it only a couple weeks after it's first time in 2003. *crys*

Sister says I should reply to this, "Well thats what Kumoricon gets for starting relationships with so many new people and stealing the con virginity of so many noobs!" LOL

I googled it too, and found nothing.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »
yeah! I'll be Googling once a week to find out if there will be one in Salem!
Would save me much on transportation and lodging and babysitting needs.  ;D
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »
Wow- I live in Salem too but I haven't heard anything about this. It would be interesting though.

Totally random and off-topic (sorta) as I read through the thread, I didn't know there were so many K-conners that lived in the Salem area. Maybe we should all get together for anime (or something...)

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:46:39 pm »
I've never heard anything about this, and to be completely honest I doubt there's much truth to this rumor. I mean... How many other states have two conventions of the same thing? None that I can think of. I can't see them having two competing anime conventions in Oregon... Not unless one was way on the other side of Oregon, at least a few hours away from Portland. But I can't even see that.

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:27 pm »
There's two anime cons in WA...

Offline GinNTonic

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »
3 if you count MEW
Kumoricon 09'
Saturday = Ichimaru Gin
Sunday = Urahara Kisuke and Shinji Hirako
Monday = Ichimaru Gin
Kumoricon 10'
Saturday= Kakashi Sensai
Sunday= Ichigo
Monday= Urahara Kisuke

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »
Just off the top of my head... we know Anime-Expo, Sac-Anime, Fanime and Yaoi-con are all in California.

I know there are at least two in Utah, Texas, Florida and Ohio...

It depends on what each Anime convention offers, where K-con dotes on the fan and less industry,
a seperate convention may be ALL about the industry. It may also be a smaller niche group that want to
build there own style convention seperate from K-con, it could be people who like K-con but are so con
happy they want to make sure there is a convention in oregon every 6 months!

Who knows!?

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:35 pm »
that would be cool to have a salem area  one but a con in southern oregon would be cooler (less driving for me)
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:50:17 am »
3 if you count MEW

I thought MEW was an anything convention- not just anime.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 03:46:50 pm »
A friend of mine emailed me a couple of months before Kumoricon asking for our(Kumoricon exec board) blessing to have an anime con in Salem. Their plan was to put it sometime between Sakuracon and Kumoricon and aim it at people who could not make it all the way to Seattle for Sak.
 I don't know if anything is moving forward with this or not, a lot of people get all excited and say"we love cons! Let's do our own one!!!!" and then it falls apart in the planning.
I'd like to see another con in Oregon, but since I haven't heard back from him and no one can find anything on the almighty Google I don't know if this is going to happen or not.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 04:35:11 pm »
3 if you count MEW

I thought MEW was an anything convention- not just anime.

It is, but the majority of people that go there are into the anime side, and I can only remember one or two non anime/japan/videogame-oriented panels... *_*;

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:41:30 pm »
Ah yes but this year I believe there will be a lot more sci-fi/Fantasy things going on.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:03 am »
A friend of mine emailed me a couple of months before Kumoricon asking for our(Kumoricon exec board) blessing to have an anime con in Salem. Their plan was to put it sometime between Sakuracon and Kumoricon and aim it at people who could not make it all the way to Seattle for Sak.
 I don't know if anything is moving forward with this or not, a lot of people get all excited and say"we love cons! Let's do our own one!!!!" and then it falls apart in the planning.
I'd like to see another con in Oregon, but since I haven't heard back from him and no one can find anything on the almighty Google I don't know if this is going to happen or not.

If it works out, it would be exciting, but most likely, what others will be able to organize would be one-day events using free campus space, via college anime clubs. It simply takes not only a lot of planning but start-up funds, that in the present economy might not be easily obtained....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
True that... well, it's nice to know there was more than just a RUMOR of rumors of a convention in salem... now we just have to wait and see what really evolves from it I like the idea of something a little closer to home then Sak-con, (I just love saying "sock-con" it sounds sooo fun!) so... cheers to the possibility!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »
I think there is a steampunk con in salem. But have not heard of an anime con. would be fun to have another in oregon.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 05:53:49 am »
Just off the top of my head... we know Anime-Expo, Sac-Anime, Fanime and Yaoi-con are all in California.

I know there are at least two in Utah, Texas, Florida and Ohio...

If you want to see an almost complete list of every anime convention, go to www.animecons.com

There's close to about 280+ anime conventions around the world every year...many do differ in little ways but all focus on fandom culture