Poll

Will Kumoricon be at the Hilton next year?

Yeah!
26 (33.8%)
Nope!
2 (2.6%)
I hope not!
40 (51.9%)
Why not?
0 (0%)
idc just wanna have fun!
9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: You guys think Kumoricon will be at the Hilton next year?  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
You guys think Kumoricon will be at the Hilton next year?
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:18 pm »
I heard Kumoricon signed a 2 year deal with the Hilton Hotel to be there, do you think it will be there next year as well?..if so it will be alot better than this last year..this last year was pretty bad on how un-organized it all was, in my opinion the Hilton security was pretty rude and did a bad job. I'm hoping we go somewhere else next year, Kumoricon needs there own center that's big and made for Kumoricon only. I hated the rule were you couldn't wear your mask in the main lobby areas, going as Rorschach that was a stressful time for me but hey I got alot of photo's. I just hope we don't go back there next year but if we do hopefully we will be more organized and things will be better, what do you guys think? ??? 
"You can make all the excuses you want. But you're the one who decided how to live your life". -Mugen

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
Re: You guys think Kumoricon will be at the Hilton next year?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »
I seriously doubt Kumoricon will ever have it's own center built specifically for Kumoricon. Do you know how much money would go into that? Space as well... And with the expanding con, it would eventually outgrow even that.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »
To answer this question and hopefully stop a potential bashing thread in its tracks

Yes we do have another year in our contract, to break it would equal a five digit fine (so I hear) and staff is already working on ways to make sure this does not repeat itself, to show your support for Kumoricon I suggest to book a different hotel closeby but still attend next year if you can.

Thank you

Offline Monkeydog

• Cabbit
    • Monkey Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »
I seriously doubt Kumoricon will ever have it's own center built specifically for Kumoricon. Do you know how much money would go into that?
I don't think any con ever has had a convention center built just for it.

Not even big things like Comic-Con or E3.

Anyways, yeah it will take place there. Hopefully the staff can make it so it's far more fluid than this year. Certainly this was my first year and I wasn't dressed up, but I had a few problems too. Next year will hopefully be better.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »
I hope both the Hotel and staff are able to reuse the learning we had this year...

Unfortunately as unstable as the staff in Kumoricon can be, we at least seem to retain most of our people from any given year to the next, even if they are in other positions; I have heard effective rumors of the hotel closing down to remodel or do something else.  If that is the case, I would have to wonder how many staff -they- will retain.

We may be carrying the only prior learning in to the the future.  Which just means we'll have to be that much better prepared next year.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:10:21 am »
I hope both the Hotel and staff are able to reuse the learning we had this year...

Unfortunately as unstable as the staff in Kumoricon can be, we at least seem to retain most of our people from any given year to the next, even if they are in other positions; I have heard effective rumors of the hotel closing down to remodel or do something else.  If that is the case, I would have to wonder how many staff -they- will retain.

We may be carrying the only prior learning in to the the future.  Which just means we'll have to be that much better prepared next year.

first thing that needs to happen is after the model is redone to the hotel, K-con staff needs to get up there ASAP and figure out what has changed.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:39:45 am »
Just as a post to try an help ease your fears. As far as i know we will be at the Hilton again next year. As Mr. Silmero has stated, it would be some where in the 5 digit rage if we broke the contract with the hotel. (That is $10,000 - $100,000.) As a relatively small con this is quite a bit of money. Would you really sacrifice half the con events (if not more) to change locations?

I have been in contact with the General and Security managers of the hotel, and we are working on making next year a lot more organized. A lot of the staff for next year will be the staff from this year, and know what is wrong and what will be going on. The staff did not know this hotel, and the hotel was not quite ready for us. Having the kon at the Hilton again would actually be a really good thing, we are working more closely together, know what needs to be improved, and will be working to make the convention a more enjoyable experience for everyone (this includes the hotel staff!)

If you would like to help improve the convention for your fellow anime lovers, become staff (I am currently looking for people who know how program :( ). Quite a bit of the complaints people had can be eased by more volunteers. So we could always use some! <3

I have not heard the rumor of the hotel planning on renovations, But as I said above. I am working on keeping everything up to date and more easily accessible to those who need it.

Live and learn.

-Lex

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:42:59 am »
I want to know.  Is there a way if we can legitemately prove that having the Con at that hilton is dangerous to staff and attendees, if we can change venues.  I.E. having our con here would break fire codes.  OR better yet, find someone in the fire dept. who can issue a statement that "Kumoricon can not be in this location for 2010 due to space restrictions and must be released from contract" or something.  I mean I'm sure the Hilton would HATE to be shut down because too many people were at con. heh
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:44:41 am »
To answer this question and hopefully stop a potential bashing thread in its tracks

Yes we do have another year in our contract, to break it would equal a five digit fine (so I hear) and staff is already working on ways to make sure this does not repeat itself, to show your support for Kumoricon I suggest to book a different hotel closeby but still attend next year if you can.

Thank you

This is exactlty what our group is doing.
Well said! :P

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:52:49 am »
A couple of notes:

First - ALL the area hotels that can hold a convention of anysize is a Hilton.  Doubletree, Downtown and Vancounver, all Hiltons.

Second - I was part of a loooong meeting with the hotel earlier today.  We went over every last detail of what happened at the con.  We are both committed to eliminating every last thing that went wrong this year.  Our account manager wants to have monthly meetings with our con next year just to make sure everything is perfect and that the hotel knows every last detail about us.  She is wonderful and had been looking forward to this event with great anticipation.  

I'll talk more about this when I've had sleep.  I just went to drop off our moving truck and drive all our truck drivers home. It's been a long day.  Us execs will be doing our best to adress concerns, but right now we are really tired.  I just wanted to step in and say that the the contract is not going to be broken and that both Kcon and the Downtown Hilton take everything that went wrong very, very seriously.  
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:17:18 am »
Ahh yeah I now know it's a two year contract :) which is fine with me because this year didn't suck but it wasn't the best but I'm looking forward to next year at the Hilton because I know you guys will improve and it will more organized. Plus I know the building pretty well now so when I go back I know what I'm doing haha I just wish the Mask deal would change because this is an anime event and it just kinda drags on to know you can't wear the mask only in the Ballroom area and in the events, idk if that will change at all but it would be nice..I know next year I'll go as something without a mask just in case so it's easier that way :) thanx everyone for taking time and writing these comments..I'm looking forward to next year and all the improvements  :D
"You can make all the excuses you want. But you're the one who decided how to live your life". -Mugen

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 02:24:17 am »
Ahh yeah I now know it's a two year contract :) which is fine with me because this year didn't suck but it wasn't the best but I'm looking forward to next year at the Hilton because I know you guys will improve and it will more organized. Plus I know the building pretty well now so when I go back I know what I'm doing haha I just wish the Mask deal would change because this is an anime event and it just kinda drags on to know you can't wear the mask only in the Ballroom area and in the events, idk if that will change at all but it would be nice..I know next year I'll go as something without a mask just in case so it's easier that way :) thanx everyone for taking time and writing these comments..I'm looking forward to next year and all the improvements  :D

You're very welcome :)  No matter what role I play with the con next year, I will do all I can to help make next year awesome.  Our Secretary took detailed notes of all the rants and raves and talks with the hotel and other execs and some other staff.  I am almost scared to see all the organized info she is going to dump on us at the next exec meeting. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:26:39 am »
I think the next meeting should actually have as much staff as possible.  I don't know how many staffers were at the RnR but the RnR's were so late into the day I just wanted to get stuff cleaned up and get home to get to sleep.  The staffers would have a lot of first hand notes and what not and be able to inform execs of what happened.

GGPO

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:56 am »

Thank you

This is exactlty what our group is doing.
Well said! :P

Sounds like a good idea.  If I go back I will be the Ghost Nappa.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:27 am »
Personally I'm inclined to believe they will have the convention at the Hilton next year. As I understand it for next year's convention the Hilton on it's part is bringing in someone from California who's dealt with conventions in the friendly and appropriate way before and knows how to help straighten things out, kind of a Hilton hotels clean-up guy. And while there were problems this year I grant you I believe Kumoricon will get those problems fixed for next year. Just remember there's not really any such thing as perfection even in a convention. "Gremlins can get into everything" it's the first law of the sea, and the world  :D. I have faith in the Kumoricon staff that they'll fix things on their end and the staff of the Hotel will do their part to make next year better. Sometimes all that's needed is a little faith, remember that  8).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:39:40 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Nayamashii Koneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:22:25 am »
I appreciate Animeman73's comment about having faith in us, next year we're hoping that registration won't the hellish nightmare that it was this year.

Also I want everyone to think about something....by attending the Con this year; you now know where most of the rooms are correct? Yes I've heard that they are remodeling but it shouldn't be that drastic of a change. By knowing where all the rooms are, next year should be a piece of cake. The only people that won't know where anything is, are the people that didn't attend con this time.

That in itself will make things flow more easily next year. We're planning on making pre reg and at door reg closer together and hopefully we'll have more yoji's next year to make sure the hallways where reg is clearer, so people don't get lost and end up in the wrong area.
K-Con Attendee 04 and 05
K-Con 06 Volunteer (Registration)
K-Con 07 Registration Staff (Pre-Reg)
K-Con 08 Registration Staff (At Door Reg)
K-Con 09 Yojimbo

Offline Miyako

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:37 am »
I'm looking forward to next year. After the first half of Saturday, I knew where everything was, and I was able to get around easy enough. I'm glad to know that next year will be better for navigation and control. It's also really good to know that the Hotel employees know what to expect next time.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
If staff are allowed to view the minutes of the meeting with the hotel, I for one would love to see them. I say this with love, not rhetorically. I think it would be *very important* towards the morale of the con staff, to be able to concretely hold in our hands proof of progress. I say this based on the large amount of applause generated by audience members commenting at R&R that they won't be back if we're at  the hotel. Of course we were over capacity anyway, so I guess that isn't being taken as seriously as it might be if we were hurting for attendees or if Oregon had other cons of this size (perhaps MEW will catch up some day).I personally had mostly positive experiences, but this is certainly due to the fact that, other than when I was a panelist at the Exec Tower for Religion in Anime and Manga, I basically never left the 3rd floor the whole 4 days (starting Friday). So I mostly only dealt with a relatively quiet (full for us, but not full compared to downstairs), wing of con, with Prog Suite on its floor. When I needed to use the #4111 to talk to Guest Services, some of the operators were nice, some were rude, but I'm sure they were overworked (and per the guy at Rant & Rave, some union employees are about to lose their jobs without severance). The banquet grunt staff were all nice. The banquet ?manager? (he was in a suit), Mohinder, was nice even though it was like 2 in the morning *and* our tables weren't in the layout he thought they would be. *Most* of the catering staff in the
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 02:28:25 pm »
freight elevators were nice(except4some who didn't speak English nor Spanish&were confused why I was there).How2get around from freight elevators was confusing,&@Lobby involved steps--NOT an option4wheelchairs nor many folks with mobility impairments!Here are some thoughts I have about how we might be able to not simply level off and start to fade as a con, but contend with being back at the Hilton (and again, my experience on the 3rd floor was quite positive, albeit that we'd fill even bigger rooms if we had them :) !! )(a)Would it be possible2add another nearby hotel alongside Hilton?I know it could complicate what was already confusing.Absolutely I agree we were utterly lacking in signage.In particular, a lot of folks confused "Creation Workshop",3rd floor,Hilton,with "Workshop",basement, Exec Towers.Can we please change the names in the schedule and maps so no one can confuse them? (Maybe call Council "Creation Projects" or just "Creation Station" or call "Workshop" "Executive Workshop"?)(b) (Please don't shoot me!) Could we start con on Friday?(c) If so, would we consider encouraging folks to select a package of Fri-Sat or of Sun-Mon, so more people have a chance to at least come to some of con?...*cowers in corner* these were just thoughts...I had fun. I'll be back. WE LOVE OUR 3rd floor! (Creation Station)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:34:32 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »
I agree, names need to be simplified for those in a hurry with a lot of other things on their mind.

I'd prefer every single room to have a -short- single word name that describes it (with an optional number after it for blocks of room segments, AKA Viewing X).

Of course that's mostly because it saves on confusion and space for Liveschedue ;)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »
I myself was not staying at the hilton but from what I noticed and what was pointed out at the R&R, it was completely NOT fair for "non-con" people to get their "special" access to their floors in a special elevator without a wait in the line. There are a LOT of con people that were staying at the Hilton so that makes them a guest to. Just because we all wore "out of the norm" clothing doesn't mean the hotel staff can treat us like ants.
I didn't have to bad of a time and actually had a load of fun! Thanks to everyone that put this together!
But, I was turned away many times when trying to go downstairs, I understand the fire code thing but it's very annoying as there was panels I wanted to go to. I wasn't to fond of where the vendors were as I have bad knees and walking down/up to the vendors did not help what so ever.
And what annoyed me was the hotel staff disabled the B floor elevator... And why were the escalators turned off?!? A friend of mine almost tripped down them because they are so steep. I don't see why we couldn't have a staff member stand there and wave so many people on at a time so that way they don't "overload" with so many people on them. Just a thought for next year.
I will go next year and hope that most of the kinks are worked out.  ;D

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
The issue of the hotel creating two lines for the elevators has been discussed with the hotel, and they are aware that it was not in any way okay.  We will work with them over the next year to address the elevator issues, and to ensure that it does not happen again.

The escalators were turned off because of the concern that long cosplays would get caught in the stairs, which seemed a good idea at the time.  It is another thing that will be worked on this year (because personally, I got tired of going up and down them :()

Guys, we know that this hotel is not the ideal location for us, and we are working on alternatives.  But, good or bad, we are at the Hilton next year, so we just have to make it work.  We saw where the problems were, and we have a year to make it work. (And if you want to help, we won't say no ;))
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Sven

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 06:12:20 pm »
Just to put in my 2 cents. An attendance cap is a great way to make things less crowded. There is nothing wrong with keeping a Con at a size that is fun and manageable for all involved. Keep the Con within a size that the space can handle. and then after next year we can look to expand somewhere else.
Autobots, transform and ROLL OUT!

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »
I wouldn't mind being a staff member for pre registration on Friday for next year if that helps.  ;D

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 07:54:00 pm »
Just to put in my 2 cents. An attendance cap is a great way to make things less crowded. There is nothing wrong with keeping a Con at a size that is fun and manageable for all involved. Keep the Con within a size that the space can handle. and then after next year we can look to expand somewhere else.

Because of the issues from this year, we may have to do this (but that is something for the next board to decide ;))

I wouldn't mind being a staff member for pre registration on Friday for next year if that helps.  ;D

Come to a general meeting, or email us.  We love new staffers and volunteers... it's the only way we can make the con run.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »

Thank you
Tony, you are correct on this.  Not only would it be massive fines, but we could run the real risk of being blackballed from a major hotel chain, hence why we are going to have to make the best of a sticky situation.  I know that the current board is already working on suggestions for the next board on how to improve things altogether.  As Tony says, if you wish to help please sign up as staff or a volunteer even.  We do appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism as well as suggestions.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »
I, for one, was throughly greatful for the escalators being turned off during the fre times I took them. I was wearing dress Garnet and wedding Yuna during the con; both have very long trains/veils I did NOT want caught in anything.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:41 pm »
Yeah, my trench coat was kinda long too, not as long as your dress though..haha I remember talking to you, idk if you remember talking to me in the ballroom area I think.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 08:33:17 pm »
Yeah, I remember. xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »
I think my internet had a massive heart attack.

But can someone give me the numbers for pre reg on the following

3 Day ConPass --
Saturday --
Sunday --
Monday --

And in person reg on the following

3 Day ConPass --
Saturday --
Sunday --
Monday --

This is just so I can formulate my post properly before making it truly accurate.

Also, Mitsukai...how did I miss seeing you in that Yuna dress?  The only time I wasn't in the gaming room was when I was sleeping from 10:00 to 2:00 on Saturday.  I'm sad I missed it...wanted a pic of it so badly now!

GGPO

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »
xD well, I changed out of Yuna around... eightish on Sunday for a minishoot in Garnet, a panel, and the masquerade. Monday I was Yuna for the chess matches; you can see me kill I think... Yatta Dante from the anime Hunters with my moogle on youtube. xD There's pics floating around here somewhere... I've only found three, whcih makes little sense because there were far, farm orep ics taken of Yuna then Garnet. xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:36 pm »
I think my internet had a massive heart attack.

But can someone give me the numbers for pre reg on the following

3 Day ConPass --
Saturday --
Sunday --
Monday --

I believe pre-reg is -only- for the 3 day 'pass'.  Further I believe in person could be either (remainder of days) or daily (as long as we're under caps).
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Nayamashii Koneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
I wouldn't mind being a staff member for pre registration on Friday for next year if that helps.  ;D
OO....please for the love of the Spaghetti Monster! We need all the help we can get. Bring your friends as well. The more people we have on reg, the faster it goes.
K-Con Attendee 04 and 05
K-Con 06 Volunteer (Registration)
K-Con 07 Registration Staff (Pre-Reg)
K-Con 08 Registration Staff (At Door Reg)
K-Con 09 Yojimbo

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:01 pm »
It's really good to read some of the staff posts in this thread! It sounds like you guys are trying your best to make K-con the best as possible next year (not that you don't try that every year...), and it's quite heartening.

^^ I had few doubts about next year before reading this thread, and now I have even fewer. I have faith in you! You can do it~!

D: Just watch, I'm going to get stabbed as soon as I walk into K-con '10.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 10:32:26 pm »

D: Just watch, I'm going to get stabbed as soon as I walk into K-con '10.

It's totally me thats going to do it too

"here is your swag bag!"

"Why is it so big?"

"Special swag for you"

*pops out* HA HA
*Shank*

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 12:29:25 am »
Pwned, I now know..to watch out for this guy so he doesn't stab me :P

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 09:22:02 am »
This is Animeman73, again I'd like to say thank you to the staff of Kunmoricon and to Jaki for this wonderful convention. I realize there were a few problems but I know you'll work to see they don't happen next year. My Taekwondo school U.S. West Coast Taekwondo loved the convention and I suspect a number of them will be coming next year. Also we've decided as soon as it's time to sign up for panels and events we're going to sign up as well. We'd love to do another Taekwondo demonstration and see more people there next year. Again on behalf of U.S. West Coast Taekwondo thank you.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.