Author Topic: How to date a geek  (Read 16827 times)

Offline ambergen87

• Sailor Scout
How to date a geek
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
My boyfriend thought of this Kumoricon '08. We have been dating for almost 2 years now & thinking something must be going right. Se we are going to do a panel on "How to date a geek".

The problem with that is my boyfriend is the one where you have to do it within a couple of months or he loses interest. I told a coupe of people about this & they were all for it. I told my boyfriend about this & he agreed to do this.

We will probably have 2 panels. 1 for 16+, & 1 for 18+.

What do you guys think?
Randomness is good for the soul.

The swag lady.

Cosplay for Kumoricon 2011:
Saturday: Lolita
Sunday: Seychelles
Monday: Catgirl Schoolgirl

Friday: Random yukata girl
Sat: Don't know
Sun: Don't know
Mon: Raine from Final Fantasy VIII

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
Re: How to date a geek
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:52:52 am »
this could be a good idea, but in order to do that, you have to get multiple things, like what their into, the way they normally act, their hygiene, stuff like that, and you would have to explain all that stuff as well and actually start up a little questionnaire and find out what the majority of geeks are in those category, and others you come up with. Because if you don't, you might only have enough material for about 10 minutes, thus leaving 20 minutes worth of time, which isn't that good. You would also need pics to show these things as well, and make sure the person in the pics are alright with you showing it so that they don't get embraced.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:05:54 am »
this could be a good idea, but in order to do that, you have to get multiple things, like what their into, the way they normally act, their hygiene, stuff like that, and you would have to explain all that stuff as well and actually start up a little questionnaire and find out what the majority of geeks are in those category, and others you come up with. Because if you don't, you might only have enough material for about 10 minutes, thus leaving 20 minutes worth of time, which isn't that good. You would also need pics to show these things as well, and make sure the person in the pics are alright with you showing it so that they don't get embraced.

also something else that might help are knowing what kinds of things you might have to deal with from those who haven't had success (Read: Gamer who actually travels and spends hours and hundreds to compete and practice)
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Squall

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:12 am »
I married a girl I met at Sakuracon after 2 dates....during the con. LOL And we've been married 5 years now.  ;D
Brian, formerly of BakaZoku

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 03:03:53 am »
Oh, this also needs single ladies who are currently looking for geek b/fs lol
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:49 am »
I married a girl I met at Sakuracon after 2 dates....during the con. LOL And we've been married 5 years now.  ;D

I met my husband at NotJustAnotherCon 2 (1986) - We'll be celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary 2 weeks from now. 

Oh, did you guys see Brandon's proposal to his girl at closing ceremonies? awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  ;D

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:04 am »
Hahaha, awesomeness to be had...
sub topics such as

"How to deal with cheesestake cravings."
"The tips and tricks to get him into showers."
"The balance of console power, RPG or FPS."
"Animes for couples, are gratuitous amounts of panty shots okay?"
"Deodorant; its everybody's friend."
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
Oh, this also needs single ladies who are currently looking for geek b/fs lol

I definitely agree with this one, because I guarantee you that some of the people there might be going to look for a relationship at con as well, which is understandable... Because your always looking for someone with similar interests as you.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:13 am »
as much as a I joke, I'd still be interested in finding potential man at such an event
(provided I haven't found one before the next con)

<---is girl

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »
Though, I think it should also be turned the other way. With something like "How to control your Yaoi-loving girl"

I might show up to this, even though I'm not into guys. Actually met my gf at this year's con ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 05:04:04 pm »

Well, I'm kind of shafted on two of the topics since those wouldn't apply to me since I already do them...

And what about fighters?  Racers? Sports?

GGPO

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »
Actually met my gf at this year's con ^^
Grats
Though I think I'd rather just a cuddle buddy.  ^.^

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 01:42:51 am »
Though, I think it should also be turned the other way. With something like "How to control your Yaoi-loving girl"

I might show up to this, even though I'm not into guys. Actually met my gf at this year's con ^^

Hehehe, true dat.  Also congrats on the gf!

Well, I'm kind of shafted on two of the topics since those wouldn't apply to me since I already do them...

Ahh, its nice to know you smell good! I didn't even think about other genre conflicts...
Mainly I just see the RPG v. FPS hating each-other, beyond that everybody has seemed to get along in my experience.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 01:45:22 am »

Ahh, its nice to know you smell good! I didn't even think about other genre conflicts...
Mainly I just see the RPG v. FPS hating each-other, beyond that everybody has seemed to get along in my experience.

Oh man there are so many out there.  Like Smash Bros vs Street Fighter/Tekken/KOF/BB/Guilty Gear (the list goes on) Or you have Guitar Hero Vs Rock Band.

But yes, I smell very good.

GGPO

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 01:48:16 am »

Oh man there are so many out there.  Like Smash Bros vs Street Fighter/Tekken/KOF/BB/Guilty Gear (the list goes on) Or you have Guitar Hero Vs Rock Band.

... no Soul Calibur love?

*sadpanda*

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 01:49:38 am »

*sadpanda*

Basically its Smash vs EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME. haha.  Its such a great argument

GGPO

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

*sadpanda*

Basically its Smash vs EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME. haha.  Its such a great argument

I'm wiitarded!  I twitch and thrash around anyways, making that part of the controls does not help me win battles...
although I do know that this does not explain my being fail at Smash.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 01:56:04 am »

*sadpanda*

I'm wiitarded!  I twitch and thrash around anyways, making that part of the controls does not help me win battles...

I play smash when I'm bored with nothing to do haha.

GGPO

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 01:57:19 am »

*sadpanda*

I play smash when I'm bored with nothing to do haha.

Ahhh see I get on the kumoricon forums and quote too much when I'm bored and have nothing to do.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 01:59:28 am »
Ahhh see I get on the kumoricon forums and quote too much when I'm bored and have nothing to do.

yeah probably in a month I'll be checking every so often instead of every day, just checking every day right now since it is still really close to being post-con

GGPO

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 02:01:47 am »

yeah probably in a month I'll be checking every so often instead of every day, just checking every day right now since it is still really close to being post-con

Yeah, same here more or less.
Unless of course my bag check or panel actually come to fruition...
then I'll be feeling pretty hardcore.

And we are spamming the hell out of this forum...

(gomen!)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »
what about dating geeky girls.
i don't understand why you people seem to think that only guys can be geeks.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:49 pm »

oh ya, that's a definite must, but sadly, for every one geeky girl, there's like 20 geeky guy's, which is why it's not normally mentioned.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 10:51:33 pm »

oh ya, that's a definite must, but sadly, for every one geeky girl, there's like 20 geeky guy's, which is why it's not normally mentioned.

i wouldn't say 1 in 20
i would say 1 in 8 probably.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:40 pm »

i wouldn't say 1 in 20
i would say 1 in 8 probably.

I was just doing a random number, I didn't know the exact ratio, but ya, probably... It's just harder to find nerdy women/girls even tho there have been more and more lately, it's still fairly hard.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 12:14:23 am »
it's still fairly hard.

That's what she said.

Can "that's what she said" be a part of the panel too?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 03:53:25 am »
And to add to this, the Geek/Geek Couple.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 04:16:18 am »
1 : 20      1 : 8 ???  I'm thinking more like 1 : 40-50     Okay well maybe not, but they are hard to find >.<'   Come out come out where ever you are, I've got a pizza, beer (or other assorted pops and flavored waters) and movie/game I know you will enjoy XD

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 08:30:40 am »
1 : 20      1 : 8 ???  I'm thinking more like 1 : 40-50     Okay well maybe not, but they are hard to find >.<'   Come out come out where ever you are, I've got a pizza, beer (or other assorted pops and flavored waters) and movie/game I know you will enjoy XD
ok, well obviously you have never been to high school.

or you went to a very strange high school.

or you aren't in high school yet....

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 02:19:02 pm »
I'm surprised no one has posted like personal's yet, like an entire topic dedicated to people who are single and want to try the dating seen, I sadly, would be one of those people.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 03:07:19 pm »
I'm surprised no one has posted like personal's yet, like an entire topic dedicated to people who are single and want to try the dating seen, I sadly, would be one of those people.

i am in a relationship, and a somwhat geeky one at that.

why don't you post some information on yourself?
why don't you just start a thread like that?

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »

And yet there are so many more girl cosplayers then guys. x333

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 07:08:12 pm »

And yet there are so many more girl cosplayers then guys. x333
that is because most of the guys who would be at this sort of event, probably have low self confidence, or can't find a character they would cosplay as.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »

this is true, I was just a little worried that it would make me sound desperate.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 07:30:35 pm »

this is true, I was just a little worried that it would make me sound desperate.
EDIT: FIX'D
Who cares?
In all honesty, i prefer not to think about what people would think.
All that matters is what you think, and if you think you want to meet people, and maybe start a relationship, do it.

Of course, you can't just automatically do it.
The first part of building a house is building the frame/foundation.
Build a frame/foundation for your goal, whether that be a thread on here, or an account on eharmony.com (please don't xD)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:46:38 pm by xcthulhux »

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 07:43:20 pm »
ya, you do have a point... I'm waiting to see how well the topic does before posting my own wanted add.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 07:43:44 pm »
This 30 soomething isn't getting any younger and I'd love to find a lady I could spend some quality time with. That isn't easy I have some rather...unique interests.

1. I'm an aspiring writer of science fiction and fantasy
2. I'm an CRPG (Computer Role Playing Game) enthusisast.
3. I'm a 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo

Add to that the fact I've been an anime fan since 1st grade and well there you have it.

Personals would be interesting however my biggest concern is with whether The Kumoricon staff could keep the I.D. Thieves out of this place. Let's remember there are people out there who are either desperate, dispecable, or both just enough that they'd do that kind of thing. If they do allow personals I'd say they'd have to put up some major safegauards. What do the rest of you think?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:03:55 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

oslapedo

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »
Um, please keep that sort of stuff outta here. Many people on these forums are minors, that'd be creepy. If you want to do online dating do it somewhere else.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 07:48:07 pm »
Um, please keep that sort of stuff outta here. Many people on these forums are minors, that'd be creepy. If you want to do online dating do it somewhere else.
isn't dating kind of what this thread is about?
if that shouldn't be done here, than why is this thread even here?

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 07:49:39 pm »
This 30 soomething isn't getting any younger and I'd love to find a lady I could spend some quality time with. That isn't easy I have some rather...unique interests.

Add to that the fact I've been an anime fan since 1st grade and well there you have it.

Personals would be interesting however my biggest concern is with whether The Kumoricon staff could keep the I.D. Thieves out of this place. Let's remember there are people out there who are either desperate, dispecable, or both just enough that they'd do that kmind of thing. If they do allow personals I'd say they'd have to put up some majopr safegauards. What do the rest of you think?

I made a topic for people who are 18 and over, but ya, it is hard to determine what people truly are like, which is the problem... But once you turn 18, no one has control what you do, I mainly made it for anyone who is tiered of being single, doesn't want to pay for a dating site, and want's to find someone who might have the same interests.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 07:51:56 pm »

Personals would be interesting however my biggest concern is with whether The Kumoricon staff could keep the I.D. Thieves out of this place. Let's remember there are people out there who are either desperate, dispecable, or both just enough that they'd do that kmind of thing. If they do allow personals I'd say they'd have to put up some majopr safegauards. What do the rest of you think?

I made a topic for people who are 18 and over, but ya, it is hard to determine what people truly are like, which is the problem... But once you turn 18, no one has control what you do, I mainly made it for anyone who is tiered of being single, doesn't want to pay for a dating site, and want's to find someone who might have the same interests.
good way to handle the situation

(gained 12 exp points)

oslapedo

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »
Online confidentials filled with middle aged men looking for love are a totally different thing from a thread that presumably exists to promote a kitschy panel.

Try match.com if you're into the former.

Mooods. Do sooomething.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:35 pm »
Online confidentials filled with middle aged men looking for love are a totally different thing from a thread that presumably exists to promote a kitschy panel.

Try match.com if you're into the former.

Mooods. Do sooomething.
something has already been done.
don't worry about it.

and whining about your moods won't change anything.

anyway, this panel sounds awesome, and i will be more than happy to attend (depending on what time it will be)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »
Easy, easy, easy folks easy...let's not get into an arguement this about dating a geek and the fact some of us "Geeks" are fed up with being single and aren't exactly into the normal dating scene. And on that subject I'll say it would be nice if I could find a girl around mid to late 20's to early 30's (Animeman73 is many things but a pervert I am NOT!)

Personally from what I've seen of the normal dating scene, everyone there is so fake and it annoys me. The thing i like about anime conventions is that even though people are dressing up as anime characters it's one of the few places where one can open up (mostly) and be honest.

Oslapedo, just relax lass everyone's got good sense here. No need to fly off handle, just sit down, relax, and enjoy a healthy serving of chill.

Now on the subject at hand has anybody else got anything to say?

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:01 pm »

Now on the subject at hand has anybody else got anything to say?
OBJECTION!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:53 pm »
XDDDD Nice one xcthulhux, you win!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:29 pm »
ok, well obviously you have never been to high school.

or you went to a very strange high school.

or you aren't in high school yet....

High school was a while ago bud.

As for moods, If you want to post stuff about yourself keep the personal info such as names and addresses out of the post.  If someone sees you here and finds you interesting you can always take it to PM's or other chat program, maybe even exchange phone numbers to talk.  Just keep things simple, please.   Animeman73's post for example seemed fine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:10:14 pm by camname21 »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:20 pm »
I would find this panel amusing if it were run as a lighthearted self-parody. I would find it kinda cute if it were about meet-cute stories of couples who got together via cons or other aspects of geekdom. Personally i've had more fun at cons where I was not with a bf because then i could focus on my work & not on what they were running around doing (which in all 3 cases was disrespectful of me). However these were guys who were at the con because I was, not because they wanted to be or were working on it. Having a partner of any gender to work on con with directly would rock.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 12:18:47 am »
Having a partner of any gender to work on con with directly would rock.
*HUG*

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 10:27:02 am »
i have gone to k-con with my girlfriend for the past 2 years, and its nice to be with her, but i run into the problem of her wanting to go to some things that i don't, and vice versa, and she doesn't like splitting up, and it gets a little bit frustrating.

If you do go to a con with a significant other, plan it out before hand so you know what you are going to, and when.
also, plan times when you can be away from eachother, and then plan times when you can spend time together. it really does help.