Author Topic: Badges  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
Badges
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »
So I have two questions, one to reg staff, second to mostly all staff

When people register whether its day pass or con pass or whatever, how exactly is name on the badge being handled.?

Personally what needs to happen is the first and last name NEEDS TO BE ON THE BADGE NO MATTER WHAT for a few reasons.

1) If someone leaves their badge behind and all that is there is their first name, its extremely hard to know just whos badge that is.
2) Security purposes. Its very hard to find someone when their name isn't on their badge, or if they are cosplaying and in a costume and theres no name or anything.

During gaming and walking around, I saw several attendees with just blank badges or just their first name, or a handle or something like that.

The second question is how are location for badges being handled.

I think there needs to be con rule that badges need to be visible and above the chest at all times.  There should be exceptions like if it isn't possible or if you are in a contest or something like that. but otherwise it makes it easier for staff and security to see the names and who people are.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
Re: Badges
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:33 am »
To address the location upon one's person that we were trying to keep the badges it was at about chest level, but considering the types of costumes and that the lobby level/street is where a lot of our attendees come directly from to at least get down to the ballroom level many end up putting them on somewhere at waist level. I often politely asked people to place their badge at chest height and simply move or remove it for pictures if they so wished but then return it there so they would not be stopped or bothered by other yoji or staff asking them to do the same thing. You wouldn't believe the number of people I had to ask of this multiple times within a few hours of just sitting at the escalators.

Working in Reg in prior years we have always asked that attendees with paper badged write their name on it with a sharpie but often people either forget or just walk away. Due to the number of badges that came into the Yoji office this year with no name on them I will probably put this into reg notes for next year of things that are a have to be done thing.

Thank you for bringing this subject up. At the end of the con we are often all very tired and brains are not working at such a high capacity as we would like.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57:14 am »
Unfortunately, all the at con badges are blank and a LOT of people didn't write anything on there. I personally think we need to write their name (straight off their ID...) on the at con paper badges, as this would make everyones lives so much easier. We had at least 4 people (just while I was working it) come to lost and found looking for their badge they hadn't written anything on.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57:57 am »
To address the location upon one's person that we were trying to keep the badges it was at about chest level, but considering the types of costumes and that the lobby level/street is where a lot of our attendees come directly from to at least get down to the ballroom level many end up putting them on somewhere at waist level. I often politely asked people to place their badge at chest height and simply move or remove it for pictures if they so wished but then return it there so they would not be stopped or bothered by other yoji or staff asking them to do the same thing. You wouldn't believe the number of people I had to ask of this multiple times within a few hours of just sitting at the escalators.

Working in Reg in prior years we have always asked that attendees with paper badged write their name on it with a sharpie but often people either forget or just walk away. Due to the number of badges that came into the Yoji office this year with no name on them I will probably put this into reg notes for next year of things that are a have to be done thing.

Thank you for bringing this subject up. At the end of the con we are often all very tired and brains are not working at such a high capacity as we would like.

No, I totally understand if your outfit prevents you from wearing a con badge at chest level because it will ruin their costume, I understand, then perhaps staff could give COSPLAYERS ONLY lanyards so that they can hang them around their necks.

As far as names on paper badges go, I understand this is more work, but if con needs to see their id, then just write the name that is on their ID. When I was working the door or bagcheck at gaming, I politely asked people if they could wear their badge at chest level where it was easily visible for security purposes.  Out of the probably thousand plus people that were in gaming, I only know of one person that plainly blew off the staff and said "yeah, whatever" or something like that.

I'm all for people having a good time, but IMO safety and security always come first.  

Also, there needs to be a rule where staff can use the exits that are marked use other entrance because its nice to be able to go from the dealers hall up that annoying ramp and come back in through the plaza/ballroom door where the escalators were to get back to work.

Gah...you beat me trumby because the forum has a 15 second post wait ><
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:58:32 am by Slash5150 »
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:32:01 am »
For those that could NOT clip their badge onto their cosplay at chest level we did offer Kumo lanyards for sale for a meager 3 dollars or they could use older lanyards from previous or other cons as long as they had our current badge and a sleeve be it the special pre reg sleeve or the normal one for the paper badges.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:35:33 am »
For those that could NOT clip their badge onto their cosplay at chest level we did offer Kumo lanyards for sale for a meager 3 dollars or they could use older lanyards from previous or other cons as long as they had our current badge and a sleeve be it the special pre reg sleeve or the normal one for the paper badges.

IMO, if someone CAN'T do it because of their cosplay, thats a serious b/s move to charge them money.  When we care about security and everything, if they obviously can't do it because of their cosplay then they should get a cheap corded lanyard.  If they aren't in cosplay, the can get one from reg or something when they are in their cosplay.

GGPO

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:04 am »

IMO, if someone CAN'T do it because of their cosplay, thats a serious b/s move to charge them money.  When we care about security and everything, if they obviously can't do it because of their cosplay then they should get a cheap corded lanyard.  If they aren't in cosplay, the can get one from reg or something when they are in their cosplay.

Like everything lanyards that are both nice and have a special print on them cost money for us to produce and in order for us to have those there for those that wanted them they were for sale for a very reasonable price but no one was forced to buy them. Like I said we had no problem with people wearing previous year's lanyards or even lanyards from other places as long as they could display their badge at around chest level. This year's lanyards were not cheap like the old ones were and I still feel the price was reasonable for those that did want them as they do cost the con a pretty penny and will be sold in the future from the sound of it.

Simply put, those that wanted lanyards could buy a new nice one for cheap OR use one they already had.
Those that didn't want a lanyard didn't need one and could clip their badge on as long as it was at chest level.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:03:55 am »

Like everything lanyards that are both nice and have a special print on them cost money for us to produce and in order for us to have those there for those that wanted them they were for sale for a very reasonable price but no one was forced to buy them. Like I said we had no problem with people wearing previous year's lanyards or even lanyards from other places as long as they could display their badge at around chest level. This year's lanyards were not cheap like the old ones were and I still feel the price was reasonable for those that did want them as they do cost the con a pretty penny and will be sold in the future from the sound of it.

Simply put, those that wanted lanyards could buy a new nice one for cheap OR use one they already had.
Those that didn't want a lanyard didn't need one and could clip their badge on as long as it was at chest level.

No, what I meant were like cheap free lanyards like these

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Gear-Lanyards-for-Whistles/dp/B0002Q9D0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252486945&sr=8-3

only picture I could find at the moment, but they're like 50 cents at my school and thats what I give to all the people on my news team.  If people want the pretty ones, then yeah, they can buy them, but if they're a cosplayer and need something easier for them, then yeah.  But if they aren't cosplaying/it isn't possible for them to have one at chest level, then they should be forced to have them at chest level

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:10:16 am »
I brought 3 of my plain black lanyards from prior years for people to use.  Didn't wind up giving any to anyone, but it was something on hand.  Pretty much everyone has friends who have lanyards they can spare.  I have a collection of 7 now. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:14:58 am »
I brought 3 of my plain black lanyards from prior years for people to use.  Didn't wind up giving any to anyone, but it was something on hand.  Pretty much everyone has friends who have lanyards they can spare.  I have a collection of 7 now. :P

I have like 20...although the technically belong to my school since budget paid for em...<.<  >.>  shhhhhh

GGPO

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:22:37 am »
Yours don't count because you worked for yours.  I had to go pay money and have fun for hours on end to get mine. (well, some of them) ;]

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:23:34 am »
Yours don't count because you worked for yours.  I had to go pay money and have fun for hours on end to get mine. (well, some of them) ;]

I didn't work for them haha.  It was "heres an account code, go buy this stuff" BTW Im talking about crappy black lanyards
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:23:55 am by Slash5150 »

GGPO

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:03:13 am »
Problem is, how many do we get?
Say we get the really cheap $0.50 black ones you mentioned.
Our cap was 6,000
Lets assume 1/10th the people wear cosplays.
6000 * 0.1 * $0.50 = $300
Unless you're suggesting we simply ave a vary limited supply, and when we run out the players are SOL. Then it doesn't make logistical sense.
I do not know the cost of production on the ones they had but i'd assume it'd be near, or less then the asking price of $3. For most con goes, $3 is nothing, but you're talking 100's of dollers that the con has no way of getting back.
But this is all assumption + logic. So don't take anything I say as anything important.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 04:13:15 am »
Problem is, how many do we get?
Say we get the really cheap $0.50 black ones you mentioned.
Our cap was 6,000
Lets assume 1/10th the people wear cosplays.
6000 * 0.1 * $0.50 = $300
Unless you're suggesting we simply ave a vary limited supply, and when we run out the players are SOL. Then it doesn't make logistical sense.
I do not know the cost of production on the ones they had but i'd assume it'd be near, or less then the asking price of $3. For most con goes, $3 is nothing, but you're talking 100's of dollers that the con has no way of getting back.
But this is all assumption + logic. So don't take anything I say as anything important.

With me, you typed more than "OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MONIES" and actually typed something with logic and was a real post, then at least it has credibility.

But again, remember K-con is non profit which means that there are more options.

Example 1

http://www.lanyardstore.com/free-lanyard-charity.htm 

They donate to nonprofit.  And also when you bulk order, prices drop significantly.  I.e. 50 cents to say...10 to 15 cents per

GGPO

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 04:23:49 am »
It all depends, keep an eye on thing. I personally liked it when Kumoricon had free lanyards in every swag bag.
I have all of my badges (save for this years staff which is on my neck still u.u) hanging in my closet by there official lanyard.
What I would do if I were you, is get a hold of the proper director, and see if you can get something together.
I personally don't know which department this falls under.. prog I *think* (need sleep u.u)
If you can get some company to donate 6,000 lanyards then i'm sure the staff, and attendees would love you!

(BTW Unless i'm REALLY tired, I try to apply a good amount of logic to my posts :P )

Just checked prices to buy 6,000 would be $1,560. Unless we get them donated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:31:50 am by LexManos »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:25:26 am »
I liked how we didn't have to wear lanyards this year, it would have been a nightmare to take on and off with the cosplay that I had. I coudln't even lift my arms properly to take a picture with Lina's armor on. And I was very surprised that the clip stayed on during the whole convention. And like Baby said, I brought my lanyard from 2007's con just in case :D

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 04:29:57 am »
Reg is under Ops, but you'd probably want to also discuss this with Relations, Treasurer, and Secretary.

Offline Dealrith

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:06:25 am »
The official way we decided to go this year was to use the clips do to countless complaints of people who disliked the lanyards in years past because it messed up their cosplay. Just like in years past we told them they could use what ever they wanted to to keep the badge above chest level as long as they also made sure to show the item that was our method for proof of purchase, in years past it was of course the lanyards. Regardless of the con providing the lanyards or the clips it is still going to mess up a cosplay because it has to be worn in the front of everything. The clip at least to me is better because it can be hung from anywhere that is a maluable surface and also doesn't pose a safety hazard.

We offered a free method to comply with our policies of having the badge at chest level. We also made it even easier this year that if you didn't like the clip you could use something you had to keep it at chest level. You could have used a shoe string if you wanted to and there would have been no problem. If you wanted something that was more of a standard then we provided something but we also made sure to keep our costs down while doing it.
2014 - 2018 - Quartermaster Staff Manager
2013 - Quartermaster
2012 - Quartermaster
2011 - Quartermaster
2010 - Vice Chair
2009 - Director of Operations
2008 - Yojimbo Floor Manager
2007 - Yojimbo

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:12:11 am »
If its because it didnt look pretty whike they walked around, deal with it.

If its because pulling it over their head would be a nightmare, have you considered breakaway neck toggle clips.  They are secure and dint unsnap easily, but its like putting on a necklace.  Quick and easy

GGPO

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:50 am »
my lanyard chaffed my neck  :'(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:52:30 pm »
How about giving people a choice between a clip and a lanyard?  I liked the clip until I was told I had to put it higher up (it was fastened to the bottom of my jacket); I was afraid of it coming off with the fabric I was wearing.  Fortunately I had last year's lanyard with me and used it on the second day. 

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 10:19:11 pm »
I like the idea of having to have the badge -Displayed- within 6 inches of one of three places, The V of the collar bone, either wrist. (as the entire policy)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:30 pm »
How about giving people a choice between a clip and a lanyard?  I liked the clip until I was told I had to put it higher up (it was fastened to the bottom of my jacket); I was afraid of it coming off with the fabric I was wearing.  Fortunately I had last year's lanyard with me and used it on the second day. 

We try to avoid like the plague anything that ads a step to registration.  When you've got a line of a thousand or more people, even a few seconds more per transaction has a big impact.  Maybe the plain lanyards could be held at the Kcon booths in the dealer's hall and people could buy a Kcon Custom lanyard or trade the clip for a cheapie lanyard? 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
Or perhaps the person keeping the registration line orderly could hand either out, and the attendee could slip their badge into the jacket themselves?

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:44 am »
Remember though, adding things that need to be handed out, switched out, or given to each and every member
means another staff that we just don't have. I saw maybe 2 maids at the start of the morning 6am on Saturday
both were rushing around clipboard and maybe 5-6 pens in one hand and a sign asking us all to have our ID's ready
in the other. They were already overworked before the 1st hour of registration was done.

Increasing their workload means someone is going to have to bank on there being a TON more Maid Squad, or more
Reg Staff, or more Yojimbo. And any increase is only really gonna bring us up to what we actually need. Right now
we are in defficit. Until we have enough volunteers to be considered "in the black" as it were, we really don't
have the luxury of increasing their workloads. Stat-quo is hard enough.

For this year, I'd imagine we'd need:

75 Yojimbo
15 Maid Squad Members
20 Registration Staff
15 Other operations staffers

That would be the ideal situation as far as I can see... But maybe the numbers are incorrect cause this is just
estimating how much space I saw available to Reg and Peacebonding... I'd imagine 5 staff per type of reg (at-door,
will call and pre-reg) plus 1 for VIP and 4 to cover breaks.

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair