Author Topic: Panel Ideas here  (Read 8126 times)

Kristina

Panel Ideas here
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:23:59 am »
Hello. I'm Kristina since I don't go by my handle :)  I am attempting to organize the many ideas for panels people have. I've been e-mailing some of you but I think that using this forum would be better and have more feedback from everyone. So I guess I'm ready for bombardment of ideas. Usually with an idea comes someone (or yourself) that is interested in giving the panel. That person is much needed and should have the time (labor day weekend). Panels can range from 45 mins to (hopefully) 2+ hours (depending on time slot, longer panels won't get prime times). I'm thinking of also doing two parters if people are really interested and spreading into two days. Ideas have ranged from duct tape costumes, Brownie's 99 cent panel (hopefully she's willing to do it again :), Digital art, various cosplaying ones, and how to's on fanfics. More Suggestions NEEDED!! and welcomed ;) To be honest the next two weeks are killer (as to all that are in school - dead week and finals) so communication during that time might be slim but I'm game after that. Hopefully we will get more than we can handle and have many options for people to choose from :)

thank you

Kristina
Let the fun begin :shock: [/i]

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 03:43:59 pm »
hi! i'm ellen, aka rem. i coordinate fanfic events, and this year am expanding our 'beta station' into the 'fan creation station', to incorporate contests, and potentially other activities, that involve visual art as well as written and spoken word arts.

first of all, are you now the panel coordinator? if so, congratulations! and be sure to get your forum status updated to staff and to get on the staff mailing list.

second, as per the past 2 years, fanfic will be a topic for at least one panel. depending on the enthusiasm within the yahoo group through which i plan our activities, and that evidenced on this forum, there might be more than one. this will be held in the beta station, time to be set by the collective in the yahoo group based on availability of panelists and schedule of other programming.

if there are any folks who are aspiring to facilitate, speak on, or attend panels that have to do with fanfic or any other form of fancreation, and are looking for a place to do it; go through the panel coordinator; but if the panel coordinator is looking for a place to hold said panel(s), definitely keep in mind the fan creation station as a logical site!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:44:29 pm »
So I dunno if it would necessarrily be a panel, persay, but do you think it would be possible for us to have some sort of Gaia online related small event for the kumori people?  There's actually a lot of Gaians out there!!!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Crystantia

• Oni
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:03:01 pm »
Sounds Great! I was hoping to not only have one fanfic panels but a couple, maybe one on sat and sun, since they are the most popular days. I have ideas but I'm not the one who's going to lead them so a lot that does :) but i was thinking one for people getting interested but don't do any (ie fanfic for dummies) or whatever and maybe a more advanced one about how to "publish" fanfics to the community and such. I don't know because that's not my expertise but that yours :) so hopefully you might have some more ideas. Fanfic is definately a happening topic at Kumoricon and should have some interesting panels. Let me know if anymore ideas pop up.
-Kristina Leipzig
Panel Director Kumoricon 2005

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 09:20:07 pm »
lol, dunno if you should take this suggestion seriously or not, or if i should even ^^;

I'm owner of a small game company, and were making a very unique anime rpg, wouldnt know if you wanted game designers and artists for it have a panel or not O.o

but yea... dunno what else to say on it ^^;;;
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:41 pm »
Quote from: "Crystantia"
Sounds Great! I was hoping to not only have one fanfic panels but a couple, maybe one on sat and sun, since they are the most popular days. I have ideas but I'm not the one who's going to lead them so a lot that does :) but i was thinking one for people getting interested but don't do any (ie fanfic for dummies) or whatever and maybe a more advanced one about how to "publish" fanfics to the community and such. I don't know because that's not my expertise but that yours :) so hopefully you might have some more ideas. Fanfic is definately a happening topic at Kumoricon and should have some interesting panels. Let me know if anymore ideas pop up.

(a) i agree: we at kumoricon are becoming 'known' for promoting fanfic to the forefront of con programming :)

(b) i would agree with the idea of having more than one panel on the topic, and that it would be logical to have sort of an intro and an advanced section. this idea was floated around at last year's panel.

i will post to the kumoricon_fanfiction yahoo group to get a sense of our readiness to offer both sessions, and to see who wants to volunteer to run each one.

i would imagine both would be held in the fan creation station.

(c) question: how do i arrange to have it say "programming staff" after my name?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 10:59:14 pm »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
So I dunno if it would necessarrily be a panel, persay, but do you think it would be possible for us to have some sort of Gaia online related small event for the kumori people?  There's actually a lot of Gaians out there!!!

GAIA!!!

*dances*

i em so sexy on gaia! la la la!

Panda0.0 / Seiji Amasawa

(PM ME SOMETIME)

GAIA ONLINE EVENT TIME!!! :idea:

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline Crystantia

• Oni
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 07:41:46 am »
For the RPG comment:

Maybe something like the bedtime stories we could do  a RPG session, but it can't get "out of hand". I'm not the one to organize that but it would be a good suggestion if someone would like to volunteer to "lead" it and be responsible for the room. :)[/quote][/list]
-Kristina Leipzig
Panel Director Kumoricon 2005

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 08:48:12 pm »
GAIA?
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 09:16:05 pm »
GAIA?

www.gaiaonline.com
I'm Fujiiro. xD I love that game...

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 10:11:23 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
GAIA?

www.gaiaonline.com

Do you actually do anything?
I checked it out once but it just looks like it's a forum with a map added on for fun.  I'm not trying to put it down but I just didn't exactly get what you do on it.

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:00:13 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
GAIA?

www.gaiaonline.com

I checked it out once but it just looks like it's a forum with a map added on for fun.  I'm not trying to put it down but I just didn't exactly get what you do on it.

its a forum that you get a cute avi to play with and you can find almost any type of person on there. thats how i got into going to Cons is beacuse of gaia updating me time to time.

also you can RP, chat about games, bla bla bla, you get my point!

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 12:03:14 am »
GAIA?

www.gaiaonline.com

its a forum that you get a cute avi to play with and you can find almost any type of person on there. thats how i got into going to Cons is beacuse of gaia updating me time to time.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 12:30:03 am »
Quote from: "Panda0_0"
GAIA?

www.gaiaonline.com

Okay, that helps explain a few things.  Thanks.

I know you can customize your avatar and such but is that only for the forum or can you control it and move it around like in Ragnarok Online?

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 07:06:12 am »
umm well you click on links....

*back on topic plz*

if you want to know more PM me

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 10:56:33 pm »
ok, about my post earlier, if you want to , take it seriously, now that its getting a bit more popular and will be in the art show >.>;;
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Misuzu

• Oni
    • http://www.misu-net.com
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 07:50:18 am »
Hello, uhm, I dont know if this is the correct place to be posting this ^^;;, but I cant seem to find a better thread, so here goes!

My name is Misuzu and I was wondering if I could do a panel on Dating Sims/Visual Novels/Ren'ais?

My qualifications are that I've been part of the visual novel community for over four years now, and I am the webmaster of the relatively (at least within the visual novel community) well known website, Misu-Net (http://www.misu-net.com).

Just out of curiousity, would anyone be interested in this topic?
Popular anime that have come out of dating sims are: AIR, Kanon, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, To Heart, Comic Party, Futakoi Alternative, ect...
Also, the much talked about Fate / stay night anime, slated for release this fall is also derived from a visual novel.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 11:39:29 am »
Comic Party was a dating sim originaly?
TT__TT I feel very dirty now. -owns both sets of the manga-.
I would be intrested, but just out of curiosity. ^_^ Would there be an age restriction if your panel got chosen?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 12:33:43 pm »
From the looks of it she chose titles that we shouldn't worry about except maybe around the teens.  (Not sure on Kimi ga nozomu eien or comic party).  When I was in Japan I saw a lot of posters and other merchandise for those games/shows and they seemed pretty mild.

I'd be interesting in attending that.  I always wanted to play one of those games or at least find out what they're like.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 05:16:02 pm »
Quote from: "Misuzu"
Hello, uhm, I dont know if this is the correct place to be posting this ^^;;, but I cant seem to find a better thread, so here goes!

My name is Misuzu and I was wondering if I could do a panel on Dating Sims/Visual Novels/Ren'ais?

My qualifications are that I've been part of the visual novel community for over four years now, and I am the webmaster of the relatively (at least within the visual novel community) well known website, Misu-Net (http://www.misu-net.com).

Popular anime that have come out of dating sims are: AIR, Kanon, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, To Heart, Comic Party, Futakoi Alternative, ect...
Also, the much talked about Fate / stay night anime, slated for release this fall is also derived from a visual novel.

i'm embarrassed to ask: what are visual novels? what are Ren'ais?
i'm interested in hearing more about these things, particularly any ways they overlap with fanfiction communities? we are having 2 panels on fanfiction at the fan creation station, perhaps you could contribute to those if that's appropriate?

of note is that second place in game-based fics in last kumoricon's
 fanfiction contest was a fic based on a dating sim.

Offline Misuzu

• Oni
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 10:45:17 pm »
Oh wow, I didnt realize the possible popularity of the subject ^^.
Let me start going down through the list of questions!  (Btw, this makes me really happy seeing this kind of interest!)

Comic Party was a dating sim originaly?:

Yup, Comic Party was originally a dating sim/visual novel put out by the company Aquaplus.  Aquaplus also put out the games To Heart and To Heart2, which is why you will notice a lot of To Heart puns in Comic Party.

Would there be an age restriction on the panel?:

I wouldnt believe so.  I would keep my panel clean.  We may discuss some of the merits and general concepts of hentain in dating sims/visual novels, but nothing in any gratitious matter and I will absolutely not show anything that can not be watched by someone over 12+ (unless panty shots absolute offend you o-O).  ((Besides, I'm only 18 and I'm not really into the hentai kinda stuff >_>;;.  Oh, in case I do do this panel, not to suprise any of ya guys, but I am a guy ^^;; (though, I really dont mind being referred to as a she, and in real life, I am actually called Misu by the people who know me ^^;;))

Quote from: "RemSaverem"
What are Visual Novels? What are Ren'ais?:

Well first, let me say that Visual Novels have many names.  They are known as dating sims, ren'ais, ero-games, hentai-games, interactive-novels, ADVs, and visual novels.  They all general mean the same style of gaming, with slight differances that go with each of their names.  But essentially, a Visual Novel (the term I most commonly use) is a type of game that is primarly text-based, where you as a protagonist go around interacting with your world mainly by you choosing options in a story, and having the story follow your decisions.  If you remember those "Choose your own Adventure Books" from your childhood (not that I'm accusing you of being old X3, heck you could be younger than me XD), they would be like that, only on a lot of steriods, cuase they talk to you, paint pictures, and overal, have decent stories ^^.  If you interested in learning more, you should definately attend (assuming they let me do this panel)!

I'm interested in hearing more about these things, particularly any ways they overlap with fanfiction communities? we are having 2 panels on fanfiction at the fan creation station, perhaps you could contribute to those if that's appropriate:

There is unfortunately few fanfictions works based on Visual Novels within the US becuase of their obscurity (with an exception of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien), but I can gladly talk about the fan fiction/fan art in Japan based off of Visual Novels.  Its actually a pretty deep subject, and one of big pushes in CG artwork for Japanese.  Though, since it seems like your focusing on English fan creations, I dont know how well that would work.

Of note is that second place in game-based fics in last kumoricon's fanfiction contest was a fic based on a dating sim:

Oh ^^.  Do you remember the title of the series it was based on?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2005, 01:36:03 pm »
sorry for the delay in replying. i don't have my own computer nor online access at home.

just the fact that one poster (neko_chan) had heard of comic party but didn't know it had started as a dating sim speaks to the desirability of your proposed topic becoming a forum. i invite you to hold your forum in the fan creation station. we'll have a room all weekend dedicated to fan art and fan fiction.  so the fact that you can talk about the fandoms around this genre in japan makes it fit perfectly. and even if it didn't i would still invite you....my perspective is that everyone who wants to host a panel should be given a space in which to do so. we just have to decide when and then publicize it.

i trust your judgement with regard to content and age appropriateness.

i do remember the "choose your own adventure" concept, though i never had any of the books. i'm definitely one of the con sempei so don't worry about that.

no i don't recall the title of the source material for the fic from last year's contest...but it had high school in the title

please contact me asap regarding when you would like to host your panel, thanks!

Offline Misuzu

• Oni
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 07:58:15 pm »
Done ^^.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 10:14:41 pm »
Quote from: "Misuzu"

Im a HUGE fan of Dating Sims. Especially those of the perverted kind, though I do like normal ones, aswell. I have played qute a few of them, including the Love Hina GBA dating sim. :D

If I made it to the con, I'd love to attend this.

As for my suggestions, I have two.

I'd love to see a room called "Meet and Greet", were we can designate certain times for fans of the same anime to get together and meet. Also, members of the forum can meet each other and such.

Another idea I had was for a panel called "The Music of Anime" to show the important of music in anime, its effects of those who listen to it, and how muisc can have a huge impact on the popularity of a particular anime. Also, on how huge, popular musicians lend their vocals to many Opening and Ending themes. It is normally unhead of in the US to have the equivilent in our programming.

If I could make it to the con this year, I would love to elaborate on these ideas.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Panel Ideas here
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 06:51:54 pm »
dustin:
both of those are great suggestions!
last year's beta station, renamed this year as the fan creation station, was designed  by me largely to serve that meet and greet function, albeit specifically among those who like to read, write and/or edit fanfiction.

remember that dating sim -based fics are welcome under the game-based fic category in the fanfic contest!

in fact, last year, while first place in that category went to blackjack gabbiani for a final fantasy fic, second place went to mari-chan for a fic based on the dating sim, tokimeki memorial girl's side.

mari-chan has offered to be available during k-con to beta dating sim-based fics, and ran panels at AX and ACEN (other cons) on ren'ai gaming!

i would be curious the plots and age-ranges of characters and of intended audiences, the "ratings" of each, and how many have same-sex dating plots/options