Author Topic: Bounty hunt and fanfiction  (Read 19500 times)

Offline Rose

• Oni
Bounty hunt and fanfiction
« on: October 09, 2004, 10:37:43 am »
Hi all!

I'm the Live Programming Contests Coordinator for Sakura-con. This is the first year I've done this and would like to talk to the person who was in charge of the bounty hunt. I've also heard that the person who was in charge of the fanfiction contest and panels is intrested in doing some sort of panel at Sakura-con. If anyone knows how to get ahold of them, could you PM me?

-Valeska
Live Programming Contests Coordinator
Sakura-Con 2005

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 05:15:38 pm »
hi! i'm delighted to hear from you. i'm ellen, chair of fanfiction. great to meet you! john krall had said he was going to pass my contact info to someone named chris norman? and i had never heard from that person. so i'm thrilled to hear from you!

it wasn't so much that i was interested in running a panel, though that may be an option. it was that john, apparently, was impressed by how fully integrated and highlighted fanfiction has become within kumoricon, which apparently is relatively unique amongst cons. we have innovated programming beyond simply having a panel. both last year and this year, we also ran a fanfic contest. this year, we added the "beta station" and "fanfiction bedtime stories". the beta station was a drop-in space authors, beta readers, and fans to mingle, read each others' works, provide concrit (constructive criticism), make plans to collaborate, etc. the bedtime stories event was a big hit. we basically turned a conference room into a slumber party atmosphere (credit due to sailor naboo for setting the precedent with live action sailor moon slumber party last year). then it was basically an open mic, for folks to read their own, or others', fics and/or have others read their fics. and next year, i'm aspiring to create "fanfic theatre": we would actually cosplay our own and each others' fics!

though it became a project independent of the con, folks who met via last year's kumoricon fanfiction programming also founded a zine, recently renamed "the kosmix", to provide an off-line forum for fanfic, fanart, articles on such, etc.

what john had asked was whether i would be interested in assisting sakuracon programming staff in planning, developing and running fanfic-related programming. absolutely! i've never been to a sakuracon, but would be absolutely and devoutly delighted to assist in any fashion.

what do you have planned? what did you host last year? are you also running the contest?

feel free to additionally contact me off-forum:
rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com
(541) 543- 9524.

thanks and love!
ellen.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Pezzer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 12:07:44 pm »
hey if you need to talk to me i will be at the Sakuracon meeting on the 24th. i would love to help out with getting the bounty hunting game up and running at Sakura as well.
if you are reading this i have broken free

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:07:26 am »
I would just like to say i hope you do  a great job this year
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Rose

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:29:02 am »
Awsome! I'll see you at the meeting!

And I plan on trying to have a really cool treasure hunt.

-Valeska
Live Programming Contests Coordinator
Sakura-con 2005

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:04:42 pm »
*grins*  I'm delighted to hear there'll be a bigger focus on fanfiction at Sakuracon this year.  If you want my help or input with anything, just let me know.

Oh, and pick something recognizable for the bounty, ne?  The idea is awesome, but no one I talked to at Kumoricon was sure what exactly we were looking for, or where on earth to start looking.  I think the generally prevailing opinion was that we were hunting some kind of futuristic toilet brush.  ^_^

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:38:52 pm »
in all actualaity, it was a toilet plunger, but damn good guess. Most people thought it was some insane tuning fork.

nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Pezzer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 03:19:52 pm »
well you need it to be a challenge. i mean if we just came out and said what exactly it was you wan't really have to look for it. also a Kumoricon we didn't have the object out in the feild enough (sorry, that would be my mistake).  and we even ran out of prizes for it on the 3rd day. next year we will have it much more thought out.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:41:39 pm »
hi, filkaeris!
*waves enthusiastically*
i would *love* for you to be involved! rose has asked me to come up with an outline before the meeting on the 24th. i'll be in colorado (i think); will you be at that meeting?

would you be interested in helping to bring the beta station and/or fanfiction bedtime stories concepts to SC, if they will have us?

also, AJ, there is a possibility that i might be a judge for the ff contest at SC this year; in which case i could not beta any pieces that would be submitted. i'll miss collaborating with you :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 10:22:13 am »
yeah it was a plunger i was tempted to go buy  a plunger and be like "hey look all what i found" what was the prize again.

Offline Pezzer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 12:59:24 pm »
it was like a grab bag of random things. in the end we were giving out t-shirts.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 11:16:29 am »
hmmm plungerifc

Offline black marth 07

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 09:55:02 am »