Author Topic: Parking during the convention?  (Read 5277 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Parking during the convention?
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:05:46 am »
I remember hearing at the last meeting that there was supposed to be information about parking after hopefully speaking with the correct people at various places this week.  Yet searching for Parking doesn't seem to yield any useful results.

Am I merely mistaken, or should I have looked elsewhere or with another term?

I'd really prefer to not pay $22/day for parking like happened at the last meeting (technically that was split with someone else).
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

oslapedo

Re: Parking during the convention?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:08:26 am »
I thought parking at the Hilton was only $20/day, at least, that's what I saw on their website.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:52:39 am »
All I know is that the posted daily maximum in the garage beneath the part of the hotel we had our last meeting at was listed at $22/hour, and that's what it was for a non-guest.  That is also, therefore, what I am basing my pessimistic estimate on.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/orihimeichigo
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »
 so your able to park at the hotel even though your not a guest? because if so that would be really helpful because im not staying at the hiton and i really need parking
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:56:09 pm by fuuwindgoddess »
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:52:02 pm »
Awww crap forgot about parking expenses. :P
Secrety secrets!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:02:15 pm »
If you're still looking for a place to stay, consider the PSU dorm (the Ondine). 10 blocks away. $40/night for 2 single beds and a writing desk and a bathroom. (Honestly I forgot to ask if it included a shower or if showers are dorm-style communal...minors, bear that in mind.) If staying there one can get a parking pass that is good until 8 am the next morning for only $8.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:10:01 pm »
We're getting dropped off at the con, and then picked up again afterwords.
Does anyone know a good place we can park to unload our luggage and check in, without having to pay the hotels parking expenses?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »
Im staying at a hotel about four miles away, but im just not sure where to park hehe im not from portland so i don't know it all that well
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:35:35 pm »
Find a Park And Ride and take the MAX in? The hotel's what, three blocks from the Pioneer Courthouse Square stop?

Of course, that really only works if you're willing to drive for it...

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »
While I was still living in the Portland area I remember reading that multi-day parking wasn't allowed at the park and rides.  However it may be cheaper, every metric but timewise, to move the car once a day and ride back in...

Also, I had posted the same query in the staff forums, the item I heard about is probably staff only parking (and there's still no word back about it).

Still, brainstorming the idea of parking like this could lead to other solutions.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »
I guess i well just have to figure it out when on get there on friday
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline LadyZombie

• Cabbit
    • Illaura Rossiter Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »
Find a Park And Ride and take the MAX in? The hotel's what, three blocks from the Pioneer Courthouse Square stop?

Of course, that really only works if you're willing to drive for it...

it's that close to the courthouse? I lived up there, but not long enough to see how close the con site was to the Max. That's some great news here since I know how to get around from the Max and Pioneer! lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:22:45 pm by LadyZombie »
Mio Hio - 100%
Sailor Jupiter - 100%
Kyoko - 0%

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 12:53:02 am »
(Please see this thread) http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=7836.0

TomtheFanboy has produced a wonderful map, which is probably also in the pocket-guide like last year, which can be found on that page or here:

---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 04:58:58 am »
If you're still looking for a place to stay, consider the PSU dorm (the Ondine). 10 blocks away. $40/night for 2 single beds and a writing desk and a bathroom. (Honestly I forgot to ask if it included a shower or if showers are dorm-style communal...minors, bear that in mind.) If staying there one can get a parking pass that is good until 8 am the next morning for only $8.
HAHAHAHAHA I used to live there. Showers are either one per room, or shared by 2 rooms, depending on floor.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 09:27:20 am »
HAHAHAHAHA I used to live there. Showers are either one per room, or shared by 2 rooms, depending on floor.
Okay they told me my room would either be on the 3rd floor or the 6th floor. So am I likely to have my own shower?? If shared by 2 rooms what does that mean? It's between the rooms and you knock to make sure no one is in there??
Meantime Tom continues to blow my mind with amazing and helpful cartography. Though knowing what the symbols are would help
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 11:28:58 pm »
Check the linked thread for the symbol information.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 11:33:52 pm »
Thanks that helped alot
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:49 am »
David has not been able to negotiate a deal with the nearby parking lots. Just so you know, the Executive Tower (building 25 on the handy map) has 10 floors of parking. That is where guests of the Executive Tower will be staying and I believe if you pay for valet parking they may still take your car over there. I believe they have one floor reserved especially for the Executive tower.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:13 am »
Here is the word from Jessica of Star Park and Smart Park, an actually employee at their Portland offices!

The Hilton Parking lot that shares the Executive Tower building is $20 for overnight parking. That's total, every day. This rate applies to everyone, hotel guest or not.

She recommended a group of other parking lots that they manage in the area that are actually cheaper. All of which are on the Small Area Map.
"6th and Alder" is $18 a night, this is on the same block as the Marriot to the north. This lot is 3 blocks away.

Both the lots near Pioneer Place have more complicated rates.
"3rd and Alder" and  "4th and Yamhill" are Smart Park. If you park for a day you pay the daily maximum of 12 dollars. For each additional day they chareg 1.50/hour for the first 4 hours, then they start charging $4/hour after that, BUT it still stops at the daily maximum of $12 for the day. What this means is that you pay $12 per day and if you check out and leave the lot before it adds up to $12 on the last day then you pay LESS.

The Smart Park are the cheapest lots in the area. On the Small Area Map they are block 13 and 27. This means they are 3-5 blocks away from the convention itself. Not bad if you aren't going to be using your car for a few days.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 06:46:51 pm »
That is true... but if you're staying at the hotel it seems silly to park so far away and have to cart all of your stuff in. DX

I think I'm gonna charge my carpoolers with help on the parking money instead of gas money.
2011:
Larxene 30% (have the wig/makinng knives) CHANCES ARE NOT HAPPENING as coat fell through AGAIN.
Yuri KOF 100% (might bring this back so I have a costume!)

Offline shoe

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:25 pm »
;o; so lets get this straight, that ten story building is a parking garage? and it could possible work, and they'd charge?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 07:26:37 pm »
Figuring a gallon of gas going up the hill west of Portland and the cost of riding the max is about $6 the first day, then time + max fair ($2.50 for simple math) each additional day... Plus the added risk of public overnight parking in a max-lot...

Maxline $6 + 2.50 + 2.50 + 2.50 + 2.50 = $16   +  An easy hour wasted each day.
Downtown parking lot: Friday 12pm - Sat - Sun - Monday 12pm + (it may as well be the full cost) = $48

Parking my car costs more than a full convention ticket!  :(

Still that's better than the $20 the hotel is extorting.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 08:10:33 am »
Well, OUR car decided to solve the parking dilemma for us. It's up for its 150,000 service (big service). So we have to drop it off at Rasmussen (on front street) Friday afternoon...and it'll be ready Tuesday morning. Geeee.... what timing. Of course, that means we're "stuck" at the hotel the whole weekend because our car will be gone, but at least we won't have to pay for parking. (and even though the 150K service will be $$$$, we would've had to pay that regardless, so it doesn't "count" - also, because it worked out this way, we actually save the cost of renting a car for the duration of the car's servicing.) wheeeee.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:08 am »
As of now my car would be overnight in a Portland State University lot about 10 blocks away. Taking opinions please, safe or unsafe? (a) in terms of being stolen G-d forbid, (b) in terms of being broken into G-d forbid, (c) in terms of me walking to it on my way home from con at 4 am.

Offline LadyZombie

• Cabbit
    • Illaura Rossiter Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 12:50:34 pm »
PSU is pretty safe as far as I know, but then again, nobody I know who goes there is ever there at four A.M. The Pearl in general is a fairly safe area, I used to walk over a mile home every night around midnight-2 am from my school and never ran into any troubles. ^^
Mio Hio - 100%
Sailor Jupiter - 100%
Kyoko - 0%

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »
Thanks
I could walk home to the dorm and then check on the car after sunrise I suppose

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:41 pm »
As far as parking and carting stuff here is what you do if you have roomates/people carpooling.
You pull up to the front of the hotel, unload all your stuff, then one of you watches the stuff while the other parks.
that's what Vallie and I will be doing.

Maybe if there's some rogue staff milling about on Friday they can help keep an eye on things while you park, I'm sure the hotel's bellhop would be willing to assist, though I'm not sure how busy he'll be.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 04:13:00 pm »
Can anyone tell me the rates for the parking for blocks 32 and 38 on the Small Area Map?  Both blocks have parking, and are directly across the street from the hotel, but I have yet to see anyone stating what it cost to park there.  From the street view I get on Google Maps the block 38 appears to be a parking garage, I just wish I could see what the price for it is.  Also Block 36 appears to have a lot of parking available.  Any idea on price?

Thanks.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 12:29:08 am »
Can anyone tell me the rates for the parking for blocks 32 and 38 on the Small Area Map?  Both blocks have parking, and are directly across the street from the hotel, but I have yet to see anyone stating what it cost to park there.  From the street view I get on Google Maps the block 38 appears to be a parking garage, I just wish I could see what the price for it is.  Also Block 36 appears to have a lot of parking available.  Any idea on price?

Thanks.

If you are talking about the Pay to park lots, most range between $0.75 and 1.50 per hr, however some charge $8.00 for the day. Parking on the street is $0.75 an hr but most spots have a 2 hr limit. Parking is free after 7 on sat (i think)  and after 4 on sun. Monday is a holiday and its free to park all day. My suggestion is to park just outside of downtown near a max line and taking the max it will cost you less than $2.00 round trip per day, and the max has a stop right in front of the hotel ( google maps has not updated its picture yet) or 2 blocks away depending on which line you take.
=^_^=

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 02:03:38 am »
Parking at the fifth and taylor garage (Hilton EXEC suites) is 10 dollars max day and 20 dollars for over 24 hours.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 08:18:59 pm »
I thought about this topic entirely. I didn't post on this normal about it. I apologize to all of you on the kumoricon forums.

I went to the smart park garages near Pioneer Place off of like 4th and salmon or something.

But the general hit is the weekend cost

WEEKENDS: $5 ALL DAY

Ah hell, here is the link.

http://www.portlandonline.com/smartpark/

[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]