Author Topic: LARP (Live Action Role-Playing) at Kumoricon 2009  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Wyqued

• Oni
LARP (Live Action Role-Playing) at Kumoricon 2009
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:21 am »
Hello, my name is Emilie Wyqued (I'd be surprised if anyone on here knows me, LOL ;) ) and I've been the LARP coordinator for GameStorm for the last 3 years. Jaki approached me and asked if I would be interested in possibly getting some LARP games together for Kumoricon.

Well, the world can always use more LARP, but I am not really submerged into the anime subculture, or the cosplay (although I do have a passion for costuming) so I am not sure what everyone would be particularly interestested in. So far we have ideas for games where:
     a. you play whatever character you're currently dressed as
     b. a firefly/serenity inspired game
     c. possibly a legend of the 5 rings game
     d. and maybe a changeling/faerie game

If any of these games tickle your interest, or if you have some ideas of what you would like to see from a LARP staff (things that you've played in the past, things you've always wanted to play, any other ideas) please let me know. I can be reached on here, or on the Portland LARP Community, SHAGLARP. If you are interested in LARP, that place is a great resource for LARPers in the Portland area, there are games held once a month, and a pretty active forum.

Ta!
-Emilie

Offline Wyqued

• Oni
Re: LARP (Live Action Role-Playing) at Kumoricon 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:40:29 am »
Also, if you are interested in LARP, even if you've never played before and just want to check it out, SHAG's next event is this coming Saturday, June 6th, at around 1 or 2 at Mt Tabor park, we can always use more zombies! You can check out the event here: SHAG One-Shot June

Also, on the 20th, I am doing some mood/character shots for a changeling game I will be running next May, which involves dressing up, getting on some cool make-up, and posing for pictures (I'm sure nobody here likes doing that...LOL). That can be found here: BeMad Photo Shoot

Ta!
-Emilie

Offline Ex-ST

• Oni
    • SHAGLARP (Sifton House Associated Gamers Live Action Role Playing)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:06:36 am »
Hello, all!

I'm Michael, one of the Moderators for shaglarp.com and this is my first post here on your awesome forum (so many people! so active! awesome!).

So, I have a quick update on the LARPs that we will be running at your convention. After several meetings and lots of retooling and such, the final list looks like:

1. Tales From The Floating Vagabond (sci-fi silliness in the craziest bar in the universe)

2. Blood Hunt: Deathbringers vs. Reckoners (high school vampire/hunter larp)

3. Are You The Thing? (fun parlor game, based on the Are You A Werewolf game) This one will run at least 2 times.

None of the games we will be running this time around are boffer larps. These are all of the social interaction, no touching variety. Physical conflicts are resolved via tests of rock-paper-scissors and other such harmless measures.

I'm sure there will be more detail once it gets a tad closer to con. Gads! It's already almost mid-August. I guess it IS closer to con. Okay, expect to see some sort of details for these games, either here or via some link that we'll stick here to give you more info.

Come and play. Check it out. Especially if you've never done any LARP, but have always been curious. If you like it, then maybe you can join us for more at Orycon (in November, where we will be running the aforementioned Firefly-inspired game, Cyberpunk and "Are You The Thing") and at Gamestorm (in March, where we will be running too many LARPs to list here), or through our monthly one-shots on shaglarp.com (yes, that was both a shameless plug and an invitation).
One of the Moderators of shaglarp.com.
One of the triad of LARP Coordinators for Gamestorm 12.
And a very old gamer (started in 1977), who loves costumes, props and acting.

Offline Ex-ST

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:11 pm »
All right, we have a firm schedule (as firm as any con schedule gets. LOL) for the LARPs this year. According to the events schedule, here is when and where you can find the LARP events we are running this year:

Saturday
Deathbringers versus The Reckoners: 8:30pm-midnight (in Live 2)

Sunday
Are You The Thing: 8:30am-10:30am (in Panel 2)
Tales From The Floating Vagabond: 3:00pm-7:00pm (in Panel 1)

Monday
Are You The Thing: 9:00am-11:00am (in Panel 2)

Hope to see some of you there! This is my first Kumoricon, but I have heard so much about it for years now. Always wanted to check it out and finally I am. Yay!
See you Saturday (well... and Sunday and Monday... yes...)!

Offline Ex-ST

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:48:31 am »
Thank you all for showing up and playing!
There was such a great turn-out and such wonderful responses from the players; we enjoyed ourselves so much and were so happy to see you all enjoy yourselves as well.
I can see that there is a very good chance that we will return next year (if you guys wants us).
Our GMs were overjoyed by the active, creative and pleasant players that showed up to play all of the games.
The vampires vs. hunters game was so much fun (I was playing the faculty adviser for the Drama Club, Prof. Stone). The Tales From The Floating Vagabond game exceeded its character count and went amazingly well. Both of the Are You The Thing games were well received and had plenty of players (will probably have more next year).
Thank you all, again, for being wonderful players.
Thank you, Kumoricon, for letting us have this chance to bring a variety of LARPs to a whole new group of creative people!
We at SHAGLARP hope to see you all again next year! Until then, please come to www.shaglarp.com and check out what else we have going on.