Author Topic: Japanese Horror Films.  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Horror Films.
« on: May 29, 2005, 08:32:06 pm »
So, every time I see that a new Japanese horror film has come out, or an american re-make, I always end up going to see it... But I'm always left with that one question.

Why do all the ghots/evil spirits (Sadako/Samara, The girl from The Grudge/Ju-on, Tomie, The girl from Ju-rei: The Un-canny, ect) all wear a white dress and have long black hair?

From what I've seen, the Japanese have black hair. (ohmygosh.) I've also heard that priests used to have their hair very long and combed nicely... But if they went insane then their long black hair would evenutaly go into their face? I don't know how religious the Japanese are, but they do seem to visit shrines and temples (From my knowlage) fairly often. I don't know if that would tie in with the Preist' hair, but that's my guess.

I've been informed that the Japanese are burried in white, and that's probably why the ghosts/evil spirits are wearing white. But no one ever seems to wear shoes. (That reminds be of Osaka, in Azumanga Daioh, asking about Americans wearing shoes inside, and about if they had stepped in dog poop.)

If any one else could enlighten me, or tell me I'm wrong, that would be great. :D

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Japanese Horror Films.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 12:12:28 am »
I can give some information on this but not everything.

Around the time of the Heian period, from year 794-1192, upper class people usually let their hair grow out and not cut it as it was seen as a sign of beauty.  This goes for the guys as well from what I can tell.  Anyway, since they didn't cut their hair, it would often reach past their bodies and even beyond that.  The only time when it was cut was if that person were to become a nun or monk.  However, monks go for the bald look, nuns go for the shorter hair look.

As for the frequency of going to temples and/or shrines, some people go often, some don't.  There's a semi-tradition where, on New Years Eve, someone who had not gone to a temple or shrine all year will go to one and stay there until past midnight.  This way they can say they have been to a shrine last year and this year (as well as something else but I'm blanking out at the moment).

Now this is just a theory that came to mind while writing this (so part of it is rambling), but I think the reason why they have the long hair in the movie relates to the Heian hair issue.  When a person back then wanted to go into heaven (in the Buddhist religion), they would become a monk/nun, cut their hair, and "isolate" themselves from the world and follow the teachings of Buddhism.  BTW, I use quotations due to example I've read in "Tales of Genji" that would take awhile to explain.  If they didn't cut their hair, they weren't considered a nun/monk and weren't allowed to follow the teachings just yet and weren't guaranteed a spot in heaven (again, basing this off of "Tales of Genji" which is a pretty accurate yet fictional book).  Anyway, maybe the reason they have the long hair is because they didn't have the opportunity to enter heaven and thus are left to wander the world.

Or if anything else, I think it just looks scarier with long hair.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Japanese Horror Films.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:01:57 am »
I read in the Legend of the five rings (fictional) novels that white is the color of death. Might be way off base but that's what I remember.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline khayman

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.teamarc.org
Japanese Horror Films.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:15:22 am »
White gives them a bit of contrast. Black hair is more scary than blonde, red or brown. Long hair is more freaky in horror movies because of how you can "arrange" it.

Not saying that has anything to do with why they have white dresses and long black hair, but it makes sense to me so I'll run with it :)
=SynthesiS= KHaYMaN
~Jeff