Author Topic: Pokesav/legal hacking. Whats your opinion?  (Read 47023 times)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: Pokesav/legal hacking. Whats your opinion?
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:10 am »
All matchs are going to be played on the Wii, not DS to DS directly. If you're unable to play on the Wii due to it rejecting a hacked up Pokemon, whos fault is that but your own?
Well, you did say yourself that they are legit, so why would you ruin there day by not letting them be a part of the tourney.
you yourself said that you wanted it to be on the wii so that EVERYONE could play, including little kids with level 33 woopers.
so if little kids with level 33 woopers can play, why can't kids who saved time by using pokesav

Offline Ac-town

• Cabbit
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:37 am »
Also, Since it is on PBR the obviously hacked pokemon will be bad egged. So less to worry about.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2009, 05:59:02 am »
Another point to consider would be: when does the standard necessitate cheating?  There are some competitive activities where participants use certain cheats universally.  Look at baseball and the use of steroids.  Players who don't use steroids are at a huge disadvantage.  Players who do are at risk for, well, I can't say I know what they're at risk for, but most of them don't care.  They aren't going to compromise their ability to win.  In order to make it fair, they have to cheat too.

How many people are going to show up to a tournament with perfect or near-perfect IV's?  Is it really trackable if people use cheats to change the IV's?  And the fact that it's possible (how many copies of Pokemon D/P/Pl have been sold?  How many pokemon does the average consumer have?  It's like winning the lottery, but not inconceivable to at least have a pokemon with ridiculously good IV's) means that if it's not trackable, how can you be certain someone will ridic IV's is cheating, and thus how can you screen it?

Now, if it's trackable, then no worries.  Those who cheat can go fail in a corner, and those who don't can be totally chill.

What point are you trying to argue? That illegal hacking is ok because we can't track it? That's ridiculous.
This post just makes me think you didn't read my post at all.  I wrote that post in essay format, with my thesis statement as my first sentence.  How did you neglect to catch that?  My argument was that if IV hacking is standard, those who don't hack their IV's are at a distinct and unfair advantage.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Fevenis

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 09:11:32 am »
Another point to consider would be: when does the standard necessitate cheating?  There are some competitive activities where participants use certain cheats universally.  Look at baseball and the use of steroids.  Players who don't use steroids are at a huge disadvantage.  Players who do are at risk for, well, I can't say I know what they're at risk for, but most of them don't care.  They aren't going to compromise their ability to win.  In order to make it fair, they have to cheat too.

How many people are going to show up to a tournament with perfect or near-perfect IV's?  Is it really trackable if people use cheats to change the IV's?  And the fact that it's possible (how many copies of Pokemon D/P/Pl have been sold?  How many pokemon does the average consumer have?  It's like winning the lottery, but not inconceivable to at least have a pokemon with ridiculously good IV's) means that if it's not trackable, how can you be certain someone will ridic IV's is cheating, and thus how can you screen it?

Now, if it's trackable, then no worries.  Those who cheat can go fail in a corner, and those who don't can be totally chill.

What point are you trying to argue? That illegal hacking is ok because we can't track it? That's ridiculous.
This post just makes me think you didn't read my post at all.  I wrote that post in essay format, with my thesis statement as my first sentence.  How did you neglect to catch that?  My argument was that if IV hacking is standard, those who don't hack their IV's are at a distinct and unfair advantage.

I thought it was implied that anyone who doesn't hack is at a huge disadvantage vs. opponents that do? I was mainly replying to your second paragraph.

I think we should stop arguing this though as I feel some posts are coming off as attacks and are being taken personally.

Offline Ac-town

• Cabbit
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 09:27:39 am »
Well, the posts have remained (somewhat) civil for four pages. I thought this thread would have spiraled downward a long time ago lol.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:51 am »
Well, the posts have remained (somewhat) civil for four pages. I thought this thread would have spiraled downward a long time ago lol.
this.

i think that most people who use pokesav/quick egg, are careful, so lets just hope that nobody has to go through a world of embarrassment.

Offline Pajamurai

• Cabbit
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:28 pm »
indeed, hopefully they'll have PBR set up tomorrow so that we can all test it out to make sure our pokemon works.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2009, 04:43:08 pm »
But seriously, let's make a comparison to the real world. Some work places pay tons of money for macros / automation/ templates for wordprocessing / spreadsheet programs. Does this give them an advantage over workplaces that don't implement this/ can't afford to? Yes.
In pokemon, this advantage is inexpensive and sometimes free. Should you take it?
Undoubtedly.
If you want to play to win, you need to implement every possible strategy that is advantageous to you.

This is an inapplicable comparison.

The relevant comparison is:

A company saves money by pirating the software they use instead of buying licenses. This gives them a monetary advantage over companies that don't do this. Should they do it?

A game is established with certain rules, some perhaps arbitrary, and violating those is cheating.

You're saying that if you want to play to win, you need to implement every possible strategy that is advantageous, including cheating.

The question is, what exactly is cheating? What exactly are the rules? That's the disagreement in this thread.
How is my comparison inapplicable? Your comparison doesn't work because pirating is violating a law. In pokemon as long as your EV's are valid you are not violating the competitive community's rules. You are simply getting these values faster than people who are not doing this. Your argument is assuming that hexers are breaking rules set within the community (note I'm not talking about wifi scrubs, I'm talking about top SBers and NBeres, WIFI community overall is not competitive). I never said that CHEATING within the competitive community's definition of CHEATING is okay. Perhaps i should have made this clear, because this is why your comparison is invalid. I do not cheat in any game that I play, I play within the rules to the greatest stretch in my advantage. The thrill of winning means nothing unless earned in a near zero-sum environment.

The competitive community has set the standard for what is cheating, this topic is completely superfluous. My argument is based on a tried and true competitive format that I will continue to back. No this is not ad populum on my part, I have come to the same conclusions as the competitive community has on my own so I see these rules as appropriate for the game.
Another point to consider would be: when does the standard necessitate cheating?  There are some competitive activities where participants use certain cheats universally.  Look at baseball and the use of steroids.  Players who don't use steroids are at a huge disadvantage.  Players who do are at risk for, well, I can't say I know what they're at risk for, but most of them don't care.  They aren't going to compromise their ability to win.  In order to make it fair, they have to cheat too.

How many people are going to show up to a tournament with perfect or near-perfect IV's?  Is it really trackable if people use cheats to change the IV's?  And the fact that it's possible (how many copies of Pokemon D/P/Pl have been sold?  How many pokemon does the average consumer have?  It's like winning the lottery, but not inconceivable to at least have a pokemon with ridiculously good IV's) means that if it's not trackable, how can you be certain someone will ridic IV's is cheating, and thus how can you screen it?

Now, if it's trackable, then no worries.  Those who cheat can go fail in a corner, and those who don't can be totally chill.

This post just makes me think you didn't read my post at all.  I wrote that post in essay format, with my thesis statement as my first sentence.  How did you neglect to catch that?  My argument was that if IV hacking is standard, those who don't hack their IV's are at a distinct and unfair advantage.

I thought it was implied that anyone who doesn't hack is at a huge disadvantage vs. opponents that do? I was mainly replying to your second paragraph.

I think we should stop arguing this though as I feel some posts are coming off as attacks and are being taken personally.

Just because you lost an argument does mean the discussion shouldn't end. Even though this is a VERY pointless discussion to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:14:21 pm by ha~ma »

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »
this is a VERY pointless discussion to begin with.
communication on any level is never pointless.
GG

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
this is a VERY pointless discussion to begin with.
communication on any level is never pointless.
GG
Actually, if people who weren't hexing started hexing now they could be learning more advanced strats that are used in the actual endgame instead of worrying about levelling! Levelling is not a good tourney strat, playing against other tourney level players is. Some discussions are pointless if they are done to death with redundancy. At this point the people who don't agree with hexing are playing a different game of pokemon (with a self imposed sense of honor or rules that top players do not abide by), and you shouldn't be worried about them. GG

Offline Pajamurai

• Cabbit
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:26 pm »
Man, I'm definitely most excited about battling you ha~ma and cthulu.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:47 pm »
Man, I'm definitely most excited about battling you ha~ma and cthulu.
I won't be there, but I'd be happy to NB you sometime.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »
im not participating in the tourney, fevenis said he is going to need my help running it, and ev checking etc, so i need to do that.

i will battle you there though pajamurai, i will be dressed up as suzaku from yu yu hakusho, so you can recognize me.

this is who im cosplaying

Offline Pajamurai

• Cabbit
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2009, 09:39:46 pm »
So it's looking like I wont have much competition after all -pout- oh well, I can hope some strong random player comes along.

Offline Ac-town

• Cabbit
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »
xcthulhux, Do you know if you need any other checkers? I might be able to perform more advance checks if my testing works out to prove a easy solution.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »
there wasn't really enough time to do serious checks.
im going to talk to fev about possibly doing more for the tourney next year, as i have some serious ideas.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2009, 08:25:16 pm »

A company saves money by pirating the software they use instead of buying licenses. This gives them a monetary advantage over companies that don't do this. Should they do it?

A game is established with certain rules, some perhaps arbitrary, and violating those is cheating.

You're saying that if you want to play to win, you need to implement every possible strategy that is advantageous, including cheating.

The question is, what exactly is cheating? What exactly are the rules? That's the disagreement in this thread.
How is my comparison inapplicable? Your comparison doesn't work because pirating is violating a law. In pokemon as long as your EV's are valid you are not violating the competitive community's rules. You are simply getting these values faster than people who are not doing this. Your argument is assuming that hexers are breaking rules set within the community (note I'm not talking about wifi scrubs, I'm talking about top SBers and NBeres, WIFI community overall is not competitive). I never said that CHEATING within the competitive community's definition of CHEATING is okay. Perhaps i should have made this clear, because this is why your comparison is invalid. I do not cheat in any game that I play, I play within the rules to the greatest stretch in my advantage. The thrill of winning means nothing unless earned in a near zero-sum environment.

The competitive community has set the standard for what is cheating, this topic is completely superfluous. My argument is based on a tried and true competitive format that I will continue to back. No this is not ad populum on my part, I have come to the same conclusions as the competitive community has on my own so I see these rules as appropriate for the game.

That piracy is illegal is why I used it as an example. (I also used it because it's an illegal act which is very rarely punished, very easy to do a little bit of on the side, and often thought of as no big deal when done just a little bit, or in certain limited situations.)

You said: "If you want to play to win, you need to implement every possible strategy that is advantageous to you. " The debates in this thread have been over which acts are cheating (by a given set of rules). Not over whether agreed-upon rules should be violated anyway.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:26 am »

That piracy is illegal is why I used it as an example. (I also used it because it's an illegal act which is very rarely punished, very easy to do a little bit of on the side, and often thought of as no big deal when done just a little bit, or in certain limited situations.)

You said: "If you want to play to win, you need to implement every possible strategy that is advantageous to you. " The debates in this thread have been over which acts are cheating (by a given set of rules). Not over whether agreed-upon rules should be violated anyway.
Cheated pokemon are very easy to catch and punish if there is a proper tournament with many EV checkers. So yes, your comparison is still invalid. And it's funny you still are arguing that EV editing is cheating, considering the next point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your convention used rules that are congruent with my argument. Doesn't that furthermore prove my point and make it more clear over what the community considers cheating? To even further this point, I got a PM 1 day prior to the con asking for assistance in editing their pokemon.

Another point to bring up is experience. Sorry if this hurts people's feelings, but I doubt there are many (if any) good Pokemon players here (I consider myself horrible in this generation, I don't want to dedicate the time to relearn all the matchups and put in the time to develop a new team every time the metagame evolves). Many opinions in this thread show lack of experience and lack of overall understanding of the game and its competitive environment. It's difficult to see this unless you have been playing the game at a high level.

As I've said before, this is a pointless thread full of opinions that have been invalidated long before. At this point the argument is over semantics and not even about the original point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:49:36 am by ha~ma »

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2009, 02:06:44 am »
arguing on the internet is like racing in the special Olympics
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2009, 04:46:35 am »
arguing on the internet is like racing in the special Olympics
Having a legitimate and weighted discussion on the internet is like having a legitimate and weighted discussion IRL, minus voices and interruptions.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2009, 04:59:02 am »
this thread is about as good as the threads that debate is smash a fighting game.

You're going to have both sides, those who think this is legit, those who don't.

One thing, EV training isn't really hacking since the stuff was put in there for a legit reason by the programmers and is widely known and the knowledge is available to all gamers.

But I digress, best thing to do, keep your opinion to yourself as far as these types of things go and to probably 86 the thread.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:02 am »
i think i can solve this.

Anybody here play shoddybattle/netbattle?
in all honesty, if you don't, you aren't an experienced player.

anybody who does knows that shoddybattle/netbattle is the most legitimate form of pokemon playing, and guess what? it uses a system exactly like pokesav, except you can't have illegal iv's.

so lets think about this here. anybody who uses shoddybattle is actually a hacker?
i think this point is flawed. the question here was whether or not hacking should be illegal based on what can and will happen in game, such as: legit iv's, quick egg, fast hatch, ev editing(within legal boundaries), and encounter codes.

all of which are done, and excepted legally on shoddybattle, and netbattle, which are considered the highest form of competitivie battling.

so ANY of the people here who are against the idea of pokesav, yet play shoddy battle, have very flawed logic.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »
Cheated pokemon are very easy to catch and punish if there is a proper tournament with many EV checkers. So yes, your comparison is still invalid. And it's funny you still are arguing that EV editing is cheating, considering the next point.

I am in no way arguing that "EV editing is cheating". I am simply arguing the inapplicability of the analogy you used.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your convention used rules that are congruent with my argument. Doesn't that furthermore prove my point and make it more clear over what the community considers cheating? To even further this point, I got a PM 1 day prior to the con asking for assistance in editing their pokemon.

Again, not the subject of my posts. I was not arguing over what the community considers cheating.

At this point the argument is over semantics and not even about the original point.

Well, you are right about that. :) I probably shouldn't have even stepped in to the argument, as indeed I was just making a minor point.

But, to clarify. It looked to me like you made an assertion that because a strategy is advantageous, one should implement it. That seemed to me to be basically asserting without supporting evidence that either one should cheat, or no possible strategies are actually cheating.

That's why I picked an action in the real world which is understood to be illegal (even though people frequently do it). If your point was the former, then my analogy illustrated that. If your point was the latter, then it didn't give a reason for it. Somebody could argue "using macros/automation/templates is cheating for <xxx> reason". And then you need to argue that point. But your analogy didn't give a reason why using those techniques was not cheating.

So your analogy either argues that one should cheat, or it just reframes the question in different terms without giving a reason. My claim that your analogy was inapplicable was to point this out--not necessarily to take a side on whether specific strategies in Pokemon are cheating.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2009, 01:01:55 am »

I am in no way arguing that "EV editing is cheating". I am simply arguing the inapplicability of the analogy you used.

Again, not the subject of my posts. I was not arguing over what the community considers cheating.

At this point the argument is over semantics and not even about the original point.

Well, you are right about that. :) I probably shouldn't have even stepped in to the argument, as indeed I was just making a minor point.

But, to clarify. It looked to me like you made an assertion that because a strategy is advantageous, one should implement it. That seemed to me to be basically asserting without supporting evidence that either one should cheat, or no possible strategies are actually cheating.

That's why I picked an action in the real world which is understood to be illegal (even though people frequently do it). If your point was the former, then my analogy illustrated that. If your point was the latter, then it didn't give a reason for it. Somebody could argue "using macros/automation/templates is cheating for <xxx> reason". And then you need to argue that point. But your analogy didn't give a reason why using those techniques was not cheating.

So your analogy either argues that one should cheat, or it just reframes the question in different terms without giving a reason. My claim that your analogy was inapplicable was to point this out--not necessarily to take a side on whether specific strategies in Pokemon are cheating.
Fair enough, I see where you were coming from now. Thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:04:32 am by ha~ma »

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »
so have we come to a final ruling?

lets have a vote.

legal vs. not legal

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2009, 11:17:07 pm »

lets have a vote.

legal vs. not legal

Depends on the tournament organizer.  End of Discussion right there.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2009, 08:32:50 am »

lets have a vote.

legal vs. not legal

not talking about tournaments.
talking about in general.
its not like anybody could tell in tournaments anyway.

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:42 pm »
AR and Pokesav'd pokemon are perfectly fine, so long as the stats, moves, and so forth are legal. The only part I really dislike is that the trainer doesn't put very much effort into that pokemon, and that the IVs wouldn't be a lucky find when they're good. Additionally, I dislike hacked shinies. What's the point of a rare pokemon if it isn't legitimate?

Anyways, even if everything about the pokemon is legal, method of obtaining them aside, unless you know how to toggle around with hex codes, your pokemon will never be 100% legitimate-looking (despite the fact that most people have no clue as to how one might view these hex codes). However, hex codes do not affect gameplay, and as such I believe that people who complain about hacked pokemon with legitimate moves and the like are just looking for something to complain about. After all, the end product would be no different than if the trainer had bred or caught it in the game and trained it from there, provided they took the time to nab one with the best IVs.

Well...
When tweetle beetles fight, it's called a tweetle beetle battle.
And when they battle in a puddle, it's called a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »

lets have a vote.

legal vs. not legal

not talking about tournaments.
talking about in general.
its not like anybody could tell in tournaments anyway.
In general this topic has been done to death elsewhere and overwhelming people say hacking is perfectly legal. I think you know this too. Request lock before any more stupidity goes on in here.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »
i don't think i understood what you meant there, but i still want to see where this goes.
if you would like to request a lock, then go for it, but for now i still support this thread and its entirety

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:00 pm »
Ha~ma means that we're beating a dead horse. I couldn't resist giving my own input. O: <
But yeah. This topic's been done far too many times, and it would seem that the majority of people agree that hacked pokemon, provided their stats, moves, abilities, and types are legal, are perfectly, well, legal.

Well...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »
A lock seems excessive; so far I haven't seen any flaming or trolling happen here, but I'd agree that it is very much a dead horse.  I'm going to leave it unlocked, and people can feel free to post if they have some new revelation to bring to the table, but I very much doubt that anyone does, so I expect this topic to either astound the world with unconventional views, or to die slowly and happily like every other topic.

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 11:56:19 pm »
A lock seems excessive; so far I haven't seen any flaming or trolling happen here, but I'd agree that it is very much a dead horse.  I'm going to leave it unlocked, and people can feel free to post if they have some new revelation to bring to the table, but I very much doubt that anyone does, so I expect this topic to either astound the world with unconventional views, or to die slowly and happily like every other topic.

I SHALL NOT ALLOW THE HUMANE DEATH OF THIS THREAD.

but seriously though, i would like to see more opinions.

i miss the days when this thread was more active >.>

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2009, 12:38:15 am »

Why aren't you active on Smogon or any other competitive pokemon forums?

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 12:35:24 pm »

Why aren't you active on Smogon or any other competitive pokemon forums?

Because im sick of online gaming.
I want to battle people face to face.
im a little bit active on friendcodes, and i have my own site, which was pretty active back in the day, but it died recently. (http://cthulhuchaos.webs.com/)

Anyway, online gaming just isn't for me.
i like to actually get to know the people im playing against

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:42 pm »
You don't really have to meet up with the person in, well, person to know them better. I have quite a few friends that I've met online and know very well. They're excellent trainers, too.

I can see why you may prefer the in-person type of socializing, but yeah; it isn't necessary if what you're looking for is just to get to know the people you're playing against.

Well...

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2009, 07:02:52 pm »
If you really desire to strive for the best (or even to get better), you have to play where the best are. This is why I didn't go to Kumoricon to play Pokemon. Why play against 30 people who are free when I can find ten times as many players online who can provide a challenge for me? And yes, you can certainly get to know people online. It sounds like there's an element you aren't telling us about that is the true barrier to you playing online.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:16:48 am by ha~ma »

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2009, 09:35:40 am »
If you really desire to strive for the best (or even to get better), you have to play where the best are. This is why I didn't go to Kumoricon to play Pokemon. Why play against 30 people who are free when I can find ten times as many players online who can provide a challenge for me? And yes, you can certainly get to know people online. It sounds like there's an element you aren't telling us about that is the true barrier to you playing online.

you guys are telling me stuff that i already know, and honestly, i totally agree.
but i got bored with online.
i have a ton of friends online who beg me daily to start playing again, but i just lost interest.
its more fun when you can actually talk to the person you are battling IMO.

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:29 am »
You can talk to them. IM or voice chat. 0:

Well...

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:22 am »
You can talk to them. IM or voice chat. 0:
yeah, but its not the same.

i used to have an IRL team, but one of the better members recently disappeared, which lead to the team splitting up.
ever since then, battling online just seems boring to me.
once you start playing IRL, you don't want to play online anymore. its just not the same.

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:31 am »
There's really not much of a difference. You can converse with the person, so the only missing piece is that they wouldn't be sitting next to you. The social aspect of Pokemon is important, yes, but the game itself should come first. Play for the love of the game, not for the chance of bonding with your opponents--if it happens, it happens.
Given how much you've mentioned the social part of the battling, you may be better off bypassing the search for trainers and just hanging out with some friends.

Well...

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
There's really not much of a difference. You can converse with the person, so the only missing piece is that they wouldn't be sitting next to you. The social aspect of Pokemon is important, yes, but the game itself should come first. Play for the love of the game, not for the chance of bonding with your opponents--if it happens, it happens.
Given how much you've mentioned the social part of the battling, you may be better off bypassing the search for trainers and just hanging out with some friends.

the problem is that i do enjoy the game, but i enjoy playing the game with people.
i always feel alone when im playing it online, and i don't ever see any of my friends that play anymore.

i like hanging out with people and playing with people who actually know a little bit about competitive battling etc.
i miss the old days when all my friends used to play together, and it just doesn't happen anymore.

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2009, 12:37:12 pm »
As you probably know already, most people "in the know" on competitive battling [by standards held by such sites as Serebii, Smogon, and so forth] you won't meet by chance in person.
If you're having difficulty finding friends with similar interests, I'd say to invest time in getting to know people outside of the usual crowd you may hang out with. Often it turns out that the more you have in common with someone, the better friends you'll be.

If you really want competitive battling, just play online with voice chat and IM. Maybe put a thread somewhere to call attention to people in your area who know more about the game's mechanics. I'd bet you'd have a higher chance of finding the types of players you're after if you put in specifics. "Let's all gather and play Pokemon" is likely going to draw a lot of the more casual gamers.

Well...

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
As you probably know already, most people "in the know" on competitive battling [by standards held by such sites as Serebii, Smogon, and so forth] you won't meet by chance in person.
If you're having difficulty finding friends with similar interests, I'd say to invest time in getting to know people outside of the usual crowd you may hang out with. Often it turns out that the more you have in common with someone, the better friends you'll be.

If you really want competitive battling, just play online with voice chat and IM. Maybe put a thread somewhere to call attention to people in your area who know more about the game's mechanics. I'd bet you'd have a higher chance of finding the types of players you're after if you put in specifics. "Let's all gather and play Pokemon" is likely going to draw a lot of the more casual gamers.

in all honestly, im cool with casual players too.
i just want to hang out and talk about pokemon with a group of people, on a semi-regular basis.

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2009, 08:22:05 pm »
There's not a whole lot to talk about with the casual gamers. Movies, anime, and the basic elements of the game is about it, and I imagine it would get old soon enough. I think you'd have a more engaging conversation about it with people online, really.

Well...