Author Topic: Tournaments by DancingTofu (aka me)  (Read 6403 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Tournaments by DancingTofu (aka me)
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:45:54 am »
So, I recently had the idea to make a twitter (I don't even know what this site does at this point; it just seems to be a decent idea :P) for folks to follow the numerous tournaments I run each year.  Feel free to add http://twitter.com/dttournaments to your...uh...twits?  Are they called friends there?  People you stalk?

Whatever; add me if you like tournaments.  I run lots of them, and co-run even more. ;P

You can also just go straight to my site for up-to-date, detailed tournament info.  Links are in my signature for Kumoricon this year.

Yay for banners! :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:37:48 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
Re: Tournaments by DancingTofu (aka me)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:27 am »
If I add you then I 'follow' your 'tweets'. I'll follow you but I'm not that active about looking at twitter. at all.
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:31:59 am »
lol
i don't touch twitter.
i will stick to dancingtofu.org

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »
lol
i don't touch twitter.
i will stick to dancingtofu.org
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about most networking sites; but I want to do everything I can to expand my exposure. :P

I prefer "Twits" to "Followers", but oh well.  ;P

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »
Hmm, I might try joining the DDR tournament this year if I have time.

I've never been in a tournament before so I'm wondering what the song choices will be. Are they mostly older songs (from Max, Extreme, etc) or from the newer games?
Visit my DeviantART! http://qiisnii.deviantart.com

2013 cosplay plans:

- Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!) 95%
- Anzu Futaba (iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls) 25%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
I'm aiming to use a 900-song collection of songs ranging from DDR (the first one) through DDR Extreme, as well as ITG 1-3 and Rebirth, plus 80 custom songs and charts that I've collected.  This would be running via OpenITG, MDawg's ITG2 build via stepmania, or just through StepMania.  I'm not really certain whether OpenITG or MDawg's build will do what I need it to do (I need adjustable life and judgment difficulty for a couple of the tournaments)

The doubles tournament may wind up running on DDR Max2 homeversion, and a couple of the other tournaments may use homeversions.  I only have 1 computer available at this point and one USB adaptor (the pads we have are PS2 natively), so in order to run everything I might have to use PS2 versions.  As far as which PS2 homeversions we'll have available, we should have DDR Max, DDR Max2, DDR Extreme, DDR Extreme2, ITG, and DDR SuperNOVA.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »
i will join if you say your me so i can have your stash also y o y twitter

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:21 pm »
LOL WUT

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:30:22 pm »
so you know im cthulhus friend the pizza guy you know but any ways sounds fun cant wait to lose

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
I see.  Welcome to the forums!

Offline Mad_Hatter

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 01:13:12 am »
hey my friend wants to know where to sign up for the DDR tournament, if anyone has info on that, that would be great ^.^

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:50:59 am »
All tournament registrations will take place in the game room.  Look for me (ask for Tofu) at the con if you have more questions specific to the DDR or Mario Kart tournaments.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
FYI 2M 2P is so redundant, you may as well not use MIGS.
Also on J8 the issue is not as much hitting the arrows on time as much as how the hardware delay is and how on sync the songs themselves are. Bad format unless you have tested the hardware delay.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:52:12 pm by ha~ma »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:25 am »
We're leaving Marvs on for everything so as to keep it streamlined.  Yes, it is redundant, but basically I'm just saying "perfect attack" with marvs on.

2. Using j7, not j8.  j7 is still fairly doable within a reasonable hardware delay

3. Moot point anyway because SM flopped, so we're stuck with homeversions again. :/

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 12:49:08 pm »
We're leaving Marvs on for everything so as to keep it streamlined.  Yes, it is redundant, but basically I'm just saying "perfect attack" with marvs on.

2. Using j7, not j8.  j7 is still fairly doable within a reasonable hardware delay

3. Moot point anyway because SM flopped, so we're stuck with homeversions again. :/
1) You should reward better players for stepping better.
2) Again, this still depends on song sync. I think j6l7 should be a safe setting
3) What happened?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »
1. Better players aren't trained to hit marvs at Standard level.  I had some people getting more greats than marvs on some songs.  In the case of doubles, I planned on running it on two systems using DDR Max2 CS because there was no way I woas going to get two working computers for StepMania.  After I've paid of my debts, I'm going to probably go out and build two identical computers specifically stepped for SM 3.9.

2. From this year's tournament registration figures, I'm just giving up on DDR ever drawing enough people to do crazy things like a judgment bracket (I expected it to be canceled anyway, actually; I just wanted to list it so there would be more hype...this didn't happen so I'm guessing it just confused people).  I'll still have reg open for doubles, standard, maniac, and MAYBE oni (basically just how we've been playing in my basement: no mods no bar), but we only got 8 people to sign up, and it was essentially a tournament between the 3 better players on the list (no offense to the others; there was just a very clear skill gap)

3. My computer died and the computer I was going to borrow wound up being unavailable.  See last sentence of #1.  I'm feeling really done with things getting canceled because something fell through, so I think the only answer here is for me to go out and buy the things I need.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »
1. Better players aren't trained to hit marvs at Standard level.
Name 1 player that is like this who is actually good.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:12 pm »
I just said at a Standard level, meaning they aren't good.  The Trick division is for people who aren't actually good, but still want to have a fun competition.  And because I know you're going to retaliate with:
Quote from: This is what you're thinking
Why run a tournament if it's not going to be a matter of skill?
I run it in order to match up people against similarly skilled opponents; not to test people's skills.  It's fun and encourages standard level people to be at the tournament, and higher tournament attendance means better funding, because it means the tournament is drawing more con attendees.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 08:35:32 pm »
I just said at a Standard level, meaning they aren't good.  The Trick division is for people who aren't actually good, but still want to have a fun competition.  And because I know you're going to retaliate with:
Quote from: This is what you're thinking
Why run a tournament if it's not going to be a matter of skill?
I run it in order to match up people against similarly skilled opponents; not to test people's skills.  It's fun and encourages standard level people to be at the tournament, and higher tournament attendance means better funding, because it means the tournament is drawing more con attendees.
But the better rebuttal is that DDR draws less and less people each year to not only Kumoricon but other conventions. 8 out of 6.8k people entered. Both proportionately and in a head count DDR is losing people.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:36:46 pm by ha~ma »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 08:54:08 pm »
8 out of 4.5k; where did you get your figure?

Yes, it dropped dramatically, and I'm very concerned about that.

Clearly it was not because nobody plays DDR though; I saw people playing DDR almost nonstop throughout the convention.  I'm going to presume, from the fact that people who asked me in person where to register for the DDR tournament did not register, that I did not set up a registration system that was concise and easy to understand.

I might wind up killing the DDR tournament altogether next year.  There was next to no hype for it on the forums, and the people who attended the tournament didn't really care about for the most part.  I think Julia's the only one who took it seriously.  Maybe the other two who placed did too.  The others were just there to play DDR, and didn't expect to do phenomenally in the tournament.  I pretty much had to beg.

I'm done with that.  If people want to be into DDR, and want to go to tournaments, it's their job, not mine.  I'm done wasting my time trying to get people excited about a tournament that just takes up my time and energy at this point.

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 10:30:15 pm »
8 out of 4.5k; where did you get your figure?
The news quoted almost 7k people coming into town for a "JAPANIME CONVENTION". Of course the news could always be wrong, so it'd be nice to have the correct figure for reference.
Yes, it dropped dramatically, and I'm very concerned about that.

Clearly it was not because nobody plays DDR though; I saw people playing DDR almost nonstop throughout the convention.  I'm going to presume, from the fact that people who asked me in person where to register for the DDR tournament did not register, that I did not set up a registration system that was concise and easy to understand.

I might wind up killing the DDR tournament altogether next year.  There was next to no hype for it on the forums, and the people who attended the tournament didn't really care about for the most part.  I think Julia's the only one who took it seriously.  Maybe the other two who placed did too.  The others were just there to play DDR, and didn't expect to do phenomenally in the tournament.  I pretty much had to beg.

I'm done with that.  If people want to be into DDR, and want to go to tournaments, it's their job, not mine.  I'm done wasting my time trying to get people excited about a tournament that just takes up my time and energy at this point.
tbh yeah, casuals are the best format for K-Con. Focus your efforts on a community that actually cares about the game and I think you'll find it much more rewarding.

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 10:33:18 pm »
Aww, it's a shame that not many people entered this year.

I planned on entering but I had been walking around so much during the con that there was no way I could enter the DDR tournament. (I did go over and play a few songs during open play, but I was much too tired by Sunday night.) I would probably enter if the tournament was held on Saturday, but that's just me.
Visit my DeviantART! http://qiisnii.deviantart.com

2013 cosplay plans:

- Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!) 95%
- Anzu Futaba (iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls) 25%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 10:38:06 pm »
Okay.  I've heard 4500; I believe that's the figure announced at closing ceremonies as the definite final figure according to reg?

The news station may have gotten their figure from estimates of expected attendance.  I was estimating 6500, and it felt like we had at least 7000 from how crowded the space was, but that was mainly because the layout of the hotel is stupidly inefficient.

Shiba, that's an interesting point to consider, and makes a lot of sense.  I really hated having the DDR tournament on Saturday the last two years (2008 and 2007) because lots of people appeared on Sunday asking when the DDR tournament was, and I told them "next year".  This year, I think it would have had just as many people on Saturday as it would on Sunday, and it would have left that Sunday timeslot open for Rock Band, which myself and Dustin (BlazingHydro) both agreed would have netted a greater total attendance.

Offline Kurokaizoku

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 10:05:39 pm »
Okay.  I've heard 4500; I believe that's the figure announced at closing ceremonies as the definite final figure according to reg?

The news station may have gotten their figure from estimates of expected attendance.  I was estimating 6500, and it felt like we had at least 7000 from how crowded the space was, but that was mainly because the layout of the hotel is stupidly inefficient.
4500 was announced at closing but its not official. They are still looking into the numbers to mae sure that is accurate.

Oh and the con was expecting 6k by growth numbers(I'm not contradicting, just adding)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:36:20 am by Kurokaizoku »
'07- Console Gaming staff. First con. Ever.
'08- Console Gaming staff.
'09- Console Gaming Manager.
'10- Console Gaming Assistant Manager
'11- Con Suite Manager
'12- Live Events Assistant Manager