Author Topic: Pokemon TCG at K-con 2k9  (Read 4887 times)

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
Pokemon TCG at K-con 2k9
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:54 am »
Anything happening this year? I missed the tournament last year, but would love to get my deck out of the closet (It been hiding in the back since Nats)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: Pokemon TCG at K-con 2k9
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:04 am »
im not sure, but if there was, i would wish i could participate, but i couldn't because i don't know what is legal right now.

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:16 pm »
That depends on if you want to follow the new rules, I don't because I like using more than six Japanese cards per deck even though we can still use any DP-on card sixty is a nice number of Japanese cards in my deck.
I'll play pokemon with anyone at anytime, my FC for HG, Slag: 2021 5546 4058, email me at: random_man2789@yahoo.com

Offline darkhero

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:35:49 pm »
i never really knew how you play pokemon tgc even though i have loads of pokemon cards from like 10 years ago XP

Offline EggytheGreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:36 pm »
if they let me play with my team rocket/trainers-era deck...

Offline Snorlax

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »
There will be a Pokemon TCG tournament at Kumoricon this year.  We will be using the current floor and game rules, which can be found here, along with a bunch of other useful information on the game. 

The event will a Modified Constructed tournament, although it might not be sanctioned.  There will be prizes.  Entry is free.  I don't play the game myself, so I can't really go into more detail. 

Here is a list of sets that I understand to be currently legal:

Diamond & Pearl
Diamond & Pearl – Mysterious Treasures
Diamond & Pearl – Secret Wonders
Diamond & Pearl – Great Encounters
Diamond & Pearl – Majestic Dawn
Diamond & Pearl – Legends Awakened
Diamond & Pearl Trainer Kit
POP Series 6 Promo Cards
POP Series 7 Promo Cards
POP Series 8 Promo Cards
All Black Star Promos numbered DP01 & higher

With the exception of basic Energy cards and previously printed cards that appear in Modified legal
sets, players may not use cards from Pokémon sets prior to Diamond & Pearl. Players
using previously printed cards that appear in Modified-legal sets must play those cards using
the wording of the most recent printing of the card. New sets are allowed as soon as the
product has been released in that rating zone.
2015-17 Chair
2013-14 General Manager
2011-12 Facilities Liaison
2010 Tabletop Gaming Manager
2008-09 Tabletop Gaming Coordinator
2007 Gaming Staff

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:59 am »
Here is a list of sets that I understand to be currently legal:

Diamond & Pearl
Diamond & Pearl – Mysterious Treasures
Diamond & Pearl – Secret Wonders
Diamond & Pearl – Great Encounters
Diamond & Pearl – Majestic Dawn
Diamond & Pearl – Legends Awakened
Diamond & Pearl Trainer Kit
POP Series 6 Promo Cards
POP Series 7 Promo Cards
POP Series 8 Promo Cards
All Black Star Promos numbered DP01 & higher

Add in Platinum, Platinum: Rising Rivals, and Platinum: Supreme Victors

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 01:45:06 pm »
as well as Pop series 9 Promo's.

As for the Japanese card limit, in competitive play its annoying and time consuming to deal with an opponent playing a deck of entierly forign cards. There have been incidents of people playing decks designed to get a few early ko's with all japanese cards, in order to stall the game. tPCI was originaly planning on banning ALL forign cards from English event, and is making a concession this season for 6 per deck, which is more then enough unless you are looking to gain an unfair advantage. tPCI is also making the LvX ratio in boxes much better in the comming sets, as another concession to players who used to rely on getting the easier-to-find japanese cards. The forign language restrictions are a huge help to 99% of players....

Snorlax, do you know WHEN the tournament will be held? I dont want to lug my deck around every day, tbh...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:46:15 pm by QElderHell »

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:27:42 pm »
As for the Japanese card limit, in competitive play its annoying and time consuming to deal with an opponent playing a deck of entierly forign cards. There have been incidents of people playing decks designed to get a few early ko's with all japanese cards, in order to stall the game. tPCI was originaly planning on banning ALL forign cards from English event, and is making a concession this season for 6 per deck, which is more then enough unless you are looking to gain an unfair advantage. tPCI is also making the LvX ratio in boxes much better in the comming sets, as another concession to players who used to rely on getting the easier-to-find japanese cards. The forign language restrictions are a huge help to 99% of players....

Or in other words they're losing money.

I never had a problem with foreign cards and I was ranked 28th in the state for Masters Division,(worlds helped I was 80th last year). I really have a problem with American cards they just aren't  made well but at lest I can have six real cards in my deck.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:37:53 pm by Randomman29 »
I'll play pokemon with anyone at anytime, my FC for HG, Slag: 2021 5546 4058, email me at: random_man2789@yahoo.com

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »
That's odd. I haven't noticed a difference in construction.

Wasn't the old rule that if you had a foreign language card it had to be one with an English translation, but you could use a printout of the translated version as proof?

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:12:04 pm »
Correct, but the ammount of time needed to check translations on a dozen+ cards ate away at already short game timers >.< Also, Random is correct, they were loosing money ^_-. But still, even knowing the cards well, I found excessive use of Forign cards to be very annoying in competitive play.

Its worth noting that the '09-'10 Official Tournament Rules have finaly been released, and a summary can be veiwed at www.pokegym.net.

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »
Correct, but the ammount of time needed to check translations on a dozen+ cards ate away at already short game timers >.< Also, Random is correct, they were loosing money ^_-. But still, even knowing the cards well, I found excessive use of Forign cards to be very annoying in competitive play.

Its worth noting that the '09-'10 Official Tournament Rules have finaly been released, and a summary can be veiwed at www.pokegym.net.

That's only if someone asks someone that can't stand losing.

And I only play for fun not for ego so I only know the info posted here. http://pokebeach.com/

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »
Gosh...I haven't played the TCG in years. I had a deck when I was about 8, but I think 85% of it is probaby all banned cards now.  :-\

If I had a more recent deck, I would definately participate! Good luck to everyone.  ;)