Author Topic: A warning about a possible scam  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
A warning about a possible scam
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »
Hey guys!  I received a phone call not too long ago from the number 661-427-2692.  Now, I don't know their whole deal, but, from what I've been looking at on the web this seems to be a scam operation of some sort.  One post that I read thinks it may have something to do with people booking flights with Orbitz.  I know I never did, but I still got it just the same.

Here's what happened...

I picked up the phone and it was an automated message, in Spanish!  Then they hung up on me.

I called them back, and received yet another automated message; this one was in English.  It told me that they were some travel-related thing, and that they'd call me back.  It then said I could either choose to have my number removed from their database or hang up.  Well, I figure the rest should be obvious.

Just looking out for you guys.  Take care!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Asylymescapeie

• Cabbit
Re: A warning about a possible scam
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »
The same thing happened to me only it was in german. (thankfully I have taken german classes) it said I had booked a 700$ business class ticket to a city in russia. Of course I alerted the person I didn't book any flight and that I had no Idea what they were talking about. I'm expecting ether a call or e-mail from orbitz with new info. I'll keep you posted
KUMORICON 2010

Kikyo (Inuyasha)= 100%
Female Pantyraid ninja= 60%
Diedara Iwa (Naruto Shippudan)= 100%
Finf me at con to find out who my 4th cosplay is!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
Re: A warning about a possible scam
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:31 am »
Hello there, this is Animeman73. I've actually heard about these sorts of scams from my family and the John Tesh radio show. This is one thing I've learned that's key to seeing through the scam. If they ask for personal information (i.e. social security number, account number, PIN number for your credit and/or debit card). If they ask any of this, DON'T give it to them! If this were for real they would never ask for that kind of personal information. Remember if something seems too good to be true then it probably is. Stay safe everyone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:03:42 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.