Author Topic: \m/ Rockband 2 for 2009!! And Rockband tournament!! \m/  (Read 5662 times)

Offline blazinghydro

• Cabbit
\m/ Rockband 2 for 2009!! And Rockband tournament!! \m/
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:30:54 am »
So, I have just been notified that i will be in charge of the rockband setup and tournament this year. Im looking at how many people are interested in some of the details and how many people are going to want to participate in the rockband tournament. Please send me a pm if you are interested so i can get a list started; or if you have ideas/concerns with rockband in gaming this year.

Some perks this year:
-(2) 42" HDTV's 1 for the band and the other facing the audience
-Ion Drum kit with 3 cymbals and double kick
-Rockband 2 wireless guitar
-Rockband 2 wired Bass
-(6) 12" Stage Monitors
-(3) Real microphones
-(3) Mic stands (if band members want to back up sing)
-Special prizes for the winners
-Plenty of prizes (some for just participating in the tournament)

This being said who's interested!?!? Questions, concerns, comments please post or pm me. \m/ Dustin \m/

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
Re: \m/ Rockband 2 for 2009!! And Rockband tournament!! \m/
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:23:21 am »
That sounds amazing. Do we get points for doing "powerslides"? Or is that just an occupational hazard we need to avoid?

And yes, I'm quite interested this year. Guitarist LFG! ^_^
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline darkhero

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:37 pm »
this is amazing im super interested in this  ;D ;D

do we have to have our own group??

Offline blazinghydro

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:00:38 pm »
You can either make your own bands or be put on the session player list and I will make bands out of you. If you want to be on the session player list please list the insterment you want to play and what diffculty you are respectfully able to play on. If you have a band but its not full please say so, so I can get you someone who is around the same skill level. Those of you that have never played ill be conducting a few "learn how to rock with rockband" sessions through out the con.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:32:34 pm »
How are you gonna work judging for this.  If you can DM me the info cause this sounds a bit interesting.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline blazinghydro

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:11:37 am »
Were still working out all the details. Its looking like its going to be a battle of the bands style; with difficulty, percentage, and stage presence as the stuff being graded.

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:07:45 am »
Seriously, stage presence? I'm so there. That has made my day.

I'd recommend band score as the deciding factor. To do percentage/notes hit seems to be very individually based and wouldn't help an entire team advance, rather, just individuals. The stage presence is something I was hoping to do at a GH tournament I ran last year and difficulty would be nice.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline darkhero

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:51 am »
so what do i have to do to compete in this tournament?

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:40:06 pm »
so what do i have to do to compete in this tournament?
You sign up. Then, you show up on time for the tournament.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:50 am »
Details are now up on http://dancingtofu.org/kum2009.html

If you have any more specific questions, ask them here.  If you feel it's necessary to PM someone about them, PM questions to blazinghydro (Dustin).

Chat it up here!  The more hype, the better. ;]
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:55:09 am »
Dustin? are you the Dustin I know? If you know the Washu that I know then you are that Dustin. Where exactly would the rockband learning thingies be taking place at?

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:58:11 am »
Yes, he's the Dustin who knows the Washu you know ;]

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 02:28:26 am »
Yes, he's the Dustin who knows the Washu you know ;]

lol, that's good to know. Does that mean you don't get to compete Dustin? I also wouldn't mind helping out with the "learn how to rock in rockband" thing. I'll also need to get in touch with Washu as well.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:18 am »
This looks badass, dunno if I can dedicate the time to entering. =(

I appreciate stage presence being a factor, but how weighted is that factor as opposed to difficulty and score?

I ask because this seems to me, and pardon the comparison to DDR, as these games are very much different, that Score Attack and Freestyle are being combined into one big event. If someone is playing Expert, they 1) are going to get more points than any other difficulty, barring they don't horribly fail, and 2) with the exception of vox, going to have to concentrate on hitting very complex note charts.

What's to stop someone from coming up, playing something on easy or medium across all four instruments, get 100%, and screw around on the stage? Is that a better performance than four people all playing expert, getting a much better score, being forced to look at the screen the entire song, thusly not being able to really 'perform', and only hit 85% of their notes?

It's a very shaky thing when you add something to a game tournament that is not factored by the game itself.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 11:33:42 pm »
The first example would likely receive a score of 60/100-70/100 points, assuming their stage presence was good enough to keep us well-entertained despite their gameplay being rather lacking.

The second would receive approximately the same score, assuming they don't stare blankly at the screen the whole time.

Difficulty is going to be a huge factor.  Dustin and I have gone over the scoring system fairly extensively, and tested it with a range of situations.  We aren't going to share the formula before the tournament though, because we don't want people to be too calculating about it.  However, I will say this: if a band is coming with the intent of going home with a prize, they should play hard, do well, and be fun to watch.  A band who slacks on any of those fronts will be sacrificing a huge portion of their score.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 11:38:52 pm »
ok tofo me and cthulhu where thinking about doing this but we play on expert and we dont stop looking at the tv so we will look like shi- and get a bad score

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 12:31:56 am »
Well, there are ways to look good without looking at the screen. 

1.  Have a vocalist who knows the songs you will play.  These are entirely up to you, so find 35-40 minutes worth of songs that your vocalist can memorize perfectly and you're fine.  Memorizing solos, or at least being able to give some attention to the audience now and then during them, is also really helpful, but it's entirely normal for REAL bands to not pay much attention to the audience.  You'll often find bassists looking at their hands intently or closing their eyes and grooving out if they're really comfortable with what they're doing.  Guitarists often do the same thing, but have a tendency to pay more attention to other members of the band.  Drummers almost always stare off into space while they drum; 4 of the 5 I've played with have done that.  So yeah, don't worry about that too much.

2. Coordinating outfits well is a huge deal.  If everyone cosplays from the same anime, as a group who works together, or everyone dresses up as storm troopers, or everyone wears otherwise well-coordinated outfits, it will be a huge addition to their score. Pikachu's Rotting Carcass scored perfectly from all three judges in the entertainment category last year IIRC, mainly because Washu, the vocalist, put on a fantastic show.  I can't even remember the rest of the band.

3. Get in touch with the audience and judges while you're getting on stage, and between songs.  During the song, just play well and leave it to the vocalist to entertain otherwise.

4. Find a balance between difficulty and score.  If a couple people need to drop to hard to get those 4-stars up to 5-stars, then do that.

Another thing I want to mention is that bands consisting of 4 people will have priority over incomplete bands, including those where a vocalist sings, or bands that plan on playing songs without a vocalist.  If you can complete your band before the con, that would be best.  If not, we can help you find folks looking for a band to join, but coordinating beforehand is your best bet, especially for getting a decent vocalist with whom you can practice your setlist.

Offline squall leonheart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 07:13:39 am »
If this is correct I have a band of 3 people looking for a 4th.

We have an expert bass player and an expert drummer.  I myself am a superb guitarist as my main professions, 414k best solo on green grass and high tides.  I can also do expert vocals but my song range is fairly limited and mostly limited to downloaded content.  We 3 wish to remain a group and would prefer a vocalist due to our abilities on all instrument (I also can beat blackened by metallica on drums and idc who can 5 gold star it, that song is hard <.<).

That's our info hope something can work out within the next 2 days or so XD.

Always Bored, contact my msn if you want to chat.