Author Topic: Any musical fans out there?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Kotori

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/charmseeker
Any musical fans out there?
« on: May 03, 2005, 10:04:25 pm »
Okay, so I think it's pretty much established that we all like anime. But I'm curious, just how far does the nerdiness extend? What I mean to say is, do we have any theatre fans in the house? Specifically musicals, any lovers? Any haters? Any people who couldn't care either way? Myself, I have many that I adore. When you're surrounded by drama and band geeks for hours every day, it's hard to avoid.

But how about you?
I sang you to sleep those years ago...

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:06:41 pm »
im a band geek

i also have the whole current season of Naruto and One Piece on my compter so im a serious anime/band geek

Offline arykahmarye

• Oni
    • http://www.geocities.com/cassierachel/LineisQue/index.html
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:21:54 pm »
You're looking at a serious theatre junkie right here. What musicals do i not love? (Besides West Side Story) I was so excited at Sakura Con when the tennis cosplayer bust out into an adapted version of 'Man of La Mancha', i almost wet myself.

Of course, there's a love of Star Trek too. Wouldn't that make a great musical? I want to have William Shatner singing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I leaf and mah doggeh leaf too!" - Phantom in 15 Minutes

Offline Kotori

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:27:42 pm »
Of course, there's a love of Star Trek too. Wouldn't that make a great musical? I want to have William Shatner singing.

"You know what I wish...?"

Just how long did Christina roll on the ground after that one, anyway? She kept snorting and hyperventilating, and then she'd recover, get up, and fall on the ground again. That was some good work, my friend. By the way, the Secret Garden Soundtrack you gave me is STILL playing at this very moment. Just thought I'd let you know, even though you probably already do, since we're talking right now. I'm going to go and talk to you some more.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 11:58:58 pm »
What's so nerdy about loving music? :)

I love music of many, many different types.  Viva la variete`. Yes, I love musical theater, too, but a lot of it is pretty hokey... more fun to play in than to listen to.

The geeky part is my penchant for video game soundtracks.  I love picking out the best scores from the RPGs I play. Chrono Cross = luv.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 01:24:56 am »
Quote from: "Radien"
Chrono Cross = luv.

High five to ya, buddy.  ^_^  (loves Chrono Cross)

I like music; anime, non-anime (that other world), and a couple of musicals.  I have most of "The Music Man" songs memorized since I was one of the stagehands in middle school for it.
Then of course "Phantom of the Opera."  (BTW, I haven't seen the movie, I'm referring to play and music.  I don't know how the movie is.)

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 07:11:09 am »
music is awesome >.< being a composer its sorta required ;) and my favorite musical is Phantom! came out to dvd yesterday XD
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^^
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:26:59 pm »
i got the ocarina from the game The Ocarina Of Time ^^ i'm still working on perfecting the songs ^^
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 06:37:34 pm »
Majore music fan here.  Almost any genre (although my appreciation of rap extends to specific artists and not much farther)....and I like musicals, too.  Except sound of music.  After being forced to perform it too many times, it got to the point where I'd start sobbing at the opening strains of "My Favorite Things".

But my favorite musical of all time will always be "Cats".

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 06:58:08 pm »
Quote from: "Ronime"
music is awesome >.< being a composer its sorta required ;) and my favorite musical is Phantom! came out to dvd yesterday XD

The recent Phantom of the Opera?  "Masquerade! Join the faces in parade!"  x)

Sorry.  Running joke within the BZ. One of many.  x)

"Four months of build time until Kumoricon.  Is that enough time?"

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 07:27:27 pm »
Musicals=love!!!!!!

Up here in Washington State, Auburn Riverside High School in Auburn, Washington was the only High School in the state of Washington to put on Beauty and the Beast, (the musical.) We kicked ass!!! But, I played in the pit with the band... And OH MY GOD!!!! It was so cool! I always get chills when I hear the guy who played the Beast sing. There was so much emotion in the song.... It was beautiful...

But, I love musicals. I have soundtracks to a couple. And I'm going to steal the soundtrack from Rent from a friend of mine.... ^_~

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Kotori

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 07:53:13 pm »
Up here in Washington State, Auburn Riverside High School in Auburn, Washington was the only High School in the state of Washington to put on Beauty and the Beast, (the musical.)

OUR HIGH SCHOOL'S DOING BEAUTY AND THE BEAST TOO!!!

Only I don't think we're very good. You see, I hail from MPHS, the once-mighty Tomahawks when it came to acting prowess. I am proud to say that I was there to experience its glory days. However, our old director had to leave, our new director was the director at our local junior high and, well, you know how that goes...losing a director is a tough blow. Our talent level really took a hit when a lot of our amazing actors left the program due to the change. I mean, he casts FRESHMEN and EIGHTH GRADERS, for crying out loud. That rarely ever happens in traditional high school drama.

Sorry...pent-up frustration there, as you could probably tell. Ha, where better to vent frustrations with the real world than on an anime convention forum? I'm sure we'd all agree that conventions are a very effective escape from the hassles of fitting into societal norms.

Yet, that doesn't mean we can't try to pull our play together somehow. We've got two weeks, and if attitudes change, then we can hopefully put on a great show.

We're borrowing our costumes from your school, as a matter of fact! Thanks for those; they helped out a lot. Our Beast is a wonderful actor, and we're all very proud of him. Our pit orchestra is great too; if I weren't in the production, I'd totally be right in there, playing flute.  

Oh, and we've got a lot of Rentheads in our cast, too. They play it quite often over the speakers in our drama room.

Personally, the most touching moment for me was last year, during Les Miserables, when all us students were sleeping onstage and Jean Valjean sings 'Bring Him Home'. Ooh, talk about chills.

Man, am I curious about who else out there has acted in any productions before. I've had drama fever for the past couple days now due to all the rehearsal we've got in preparation for opening, and I'm dying to find someone to share it with!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 03:21:48 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
High five to ya, buddy.  ^_^  (loves Chrono Cross)

Hey, cool! Another Chrono Cross fan! :D It seems like we're a rare breed these days. Everybody went nuts about the game when it first went out, but some people shunned it, and most of the people who liked it didn't replay it. :? Or else they didn't like the story. I liked the story, no matter how much crack it was on.

However, nearly everyone agrees that its music was awesome. ;) To this day, it's still my favorite game OST ~ehvar~. Love for Yasunori Mitsuda.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 11:13:27 am »
I love musicals, West side story, grease, Annie get your gun, Phantom, Fiddler on the roof. And not to mention all kinds of different music.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 01:22:43 am »
Quote from: "Radien"
Hey, cool! Another Chrono Cross fan! :D It seems like we're a rare breed these days. Everybody went nuts about the game when it first went out, but some people shunned it, and most of the people who liked it didn't replay it. :? Or else they didn't like the story. I liked the story, no matter how much crack it was on.

However, nearly everyone agrees that its music was awesome. ;) To this day, it's still my favorite game OST ~ehvar~. Love for Yasunori Mitsuda.

Chrono Cross was the first RPG I have ever completed so it has a special place in my heart.  I also have the CDs (the three-disc pack).  I've been meaning to play it again just because I liked it and I want to see what other stories and characters are in it.  That and I forgot something really important at the end of the game and didn't realize it till after I started a "star" game (or whatever it's called when you beat the game and then start the advance game on the same slot).

I was also one of the few people at KumoriCon to realize that the one who people called "Furry" or thought was Ryo-Ohki was really from Chrono Cross.  The name of the character escapes me at the moment but she joins your group after you win the monster-fighting tournament.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 04:50:24 pm »
i love all the ones big guy mentioned, grew up with musicals. first i saw live was pajama game; can still sing whole soundtrack just about!
first i saw on film was finian's rainbow. these were both before i was through  with kindergarten!

my favorite now has to be once more with feeling (buffy musical) i am dyin to see the sailor moon musicals

soundtrack albums are among my favorite music.....most recently utena
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 06:00:46 pm »
Quote from: "Kotori"
We're borrowing our costumes from your school, as a matter of fact! Thanks for those; they helped out a lot. Our Beast is a wonderful actor, and we're all very proud of him. Our pit orchestra is great too; if I weren't in the production, I'd totally be right in there, playing flute.

Yes.... The costumes kick ass.... ^_^ I love Lumiere's costume... Shiny... *is hypnotized by the costume* I was so happy that it was over. But, so sad! T_T GOOD LUCK!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯