Author Topic: What's the most overrated searies to you?  (Read 12137 times)

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
What's the most overrated searies to you?
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:59:39 pm »
I am not trying to make a flame thread hear, so if you don't agree with other people, just explain why you like the series. But the reason I'm creating this thread is to find out what you all think is some of the most overrated series in anime/video game history. Say which series it is, and explain why you think it is overrated. Now, to start it off, I will go with Naruto and Bleach. Both series are alright, I still read the Naruto manga, and Bleach manga, but seriously, after a while of seeing every other person cosplay as it, actually seeing vs. threads being made of people trying to one side characters (what I mean is pairing up their favorite character from a series with someone the character is obviously going to beat, or pairing up their favorite series in a fake, thought up fight with a series that does not have character's that are as strong) I'm also getting tiered of people saying that the series are the greatest creations of all time. Another one is Final Fantasy 7. I don't really care for the series nor the characters, because the characters are fairly mono toned and are either to happy, or to emo, and it doesn't really have a balance in it. The story is alright, but do to me playing 8, than 9 before playing 7, I was able to see what else square was capable of before hand. Now these are just opinion's of mine, so don't start yelling at me because of it.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Re: What's the most overrated searies to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:20 pm »
Honestly One Peice....I tried to read it and I just thought it wasnt for me. I also tried watching the Anime and found it *personally* juvenile and rather dumb.....

For those who like it Im glad you do, but it really isnt for me.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »
Bleach. Plain and simple, I think it's way too popular for how unoriginal it is. No offense to people that like it, just I had it forced down my throat for months by someone obsessed with it and now I can't stand to think about how its fanbase is so huge.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »
Bleach. Plain and simple, I think it's way too popular for how unoriginal it is. No offense to people that like it, just I had it forced down my throat for months by someone obsessed with it and now I can't stand to think about how its fanbase is so huge.

you have a point, a lot of fan's of the popular series usually try to shove it down people's throats... I mean, they were even given a name to to a group of fan's that were so bad they even cosplayed at school which all tho cool in some way's, becomes overly annoying when it come's down to it, and this word is now really popular amongst thousands of people, and the word is narutard, a word taken from a series that is way to overrated for it's own good.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:00:41 pm »
I personally think that Naruto is an okay series, it's just not amazing. People act, at least around me most of the time, like it's the most epic thing since sliced bread or something. I think it's okay, but there are series that are ten times better that get little to no credit because these popular series are turning off people to anime that see the eccentrics and also it distracts people from the more discrete series'.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:05 pm »
I personally think that Naruto is an okay series, it's just not amazing. People act, at least around me most of the time, like it's the most epic thing since sliced bread or something. I think it's okay, but there are series that are ten times better that get little to no credit because these popular series are turning off people to anime that see the eccentrics and also it distracts people from the more discrete series'.

I totally agree with you. Like I said in my first post, I read the manga for both bleach and naruto, but that's about it, I don't go any further than that, and they are alright, not great. To me, great is something that is emotional and actually affects you in some way, like Full Metal Alchemist, that was amazingly done, great story, and great characters, plus an original story. I love series that have the great story, great characters, and great setting. But when people obsess about something that isn't that great, it get's annoying. I do know we all have done it at least once, and for me, it was pokemon, because I was a kid, and the first few season's were actually really good. But I look back at it, it starts to where down shortly after the first season.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:14 pm »
Naruto, it causes Narutards to spontaneously sprout up everywhere, causing Hailey to get headaches, thus making her grouchy. (Which is why everyone thinks I glare so much. >.>)
I miss 2010.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:05:53 pm »
I will agree about the comments about One Piece.

I would also like to throw out there Pokemon.  Seriously, that show got old after the third episode.  How it got to be so popular and long, and have so many movies & video games is a mystery to me.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:43 pm »
Fruits basket. I speak of the anime as well as the manga.
Naruto. I still appreciate and keep up with it, but you're right when you say that there are series ten times better.

I'm personally a fan of obscure manga that never gets turned into anime. I can't get all the hype that's in the shows of the now; Popularity does not equal good.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:53:25 pm »
Everyone has their own opinion, and I encourage that. But I wonder when people say there are so many better anime/manga/video games. WHY did these overrated series become overrated? HOW did they appeal to so many people?
I don't exactly defend overrated series'. I don't even watch anime more than once every couple months (but I love anime style video games). I heard that once Cartoon Network catches it, it's an instant fad, though. Apparently, they like to find either the more mediocre shows, or the ones with the most marketability potential.

But on the subject....
I think World of Warcraft is completely overrated. I admit I'm biased against MMO's from the start, but I used to have a subscription for a while. It's monotonous and full of screaming kids, jerks, and flamers. It's boring, expensive, and a grinding task which cuts about 8 hours out of real life, affecting relationships of friends and family.
Yeah, I prefer console RPGs instead XD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:32:46 am »
non anime but....

twilight, i mean come on its like they took the vampire mythos chewed it up into baby food that could be spoon fed to teens with too much money
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:34:24 am »
non anime but....

twilight, i mean come on its like they took the vampire mythos chewed it up into baby food that could be spoon fed to teens with too much money

I would like to see the main vampire of twilight survive a month in the world of darkness, I can guarantee you he'll be hunted down bye the camarilla and killed in no time.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:15 am »
i am oh so glad this thread exists.

One piece: i find it to be juvenile, badly drawn, and formulaic. Same with Naruto and Bleach.

Death Note: an uninteresting show driven by a plot older than dirt: elitist jerk gains power, decides he is charge of justice, and is corrupted by said power. boring, and the fandom makes me want to wash my eyes out with knives.

maybe more i can't think of, im kinda tired

K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 12:40:00 pm »
non anime but....

I agree. The fan base won't hear a word of it though. I honestly got shunned by by classmates for voicing my dislike of the entire series.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 04:44:59 pm »
Inuyasha: Mary-Sues abound! I can't figure out why people like it.
Naruto: Do I even need to say anything?
Death Note: I'm interested in watching the anime, but this series if definitely overrated, if not just by cosplayers.
Haruhi: I watched the anime and really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it deserves all of the attention it gets. And the dance...
Dragonball/ Z: Oh my goodness, the yelling.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »
non anime but....

I agree. The fan base won't hear a word of it though. I honestly got shunned by by classmates for voicing my dislike of the entire series.

Go to school cosplaying as Alucard and threaten to terminate that snivelling piece of vampire dung Edward.  ;D

On another note, I personally think that this thread, though a good one, should be in the Off-Topic area.  Maybe I'm wrong in this idea, but that's what I'm thinking.  I'll leave that decision to the mods, since it's their job.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »
ya, you might had a point, I just thought of the general discussion and anime because it involve's mostly anime, but if it is in the wrong section, than it just makes sense to move it.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »
Death Note: an uninteresting show driven by a plot older than dirt: elitist jerk gains power, decides he is charge of justice, and is corrupted by said power. boring, and the fandom makes me want to wash my eyes out with knives.

Also people cosplay it cause it's 'easy.' That bothers me about it.
I miss 2010.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 07:52:42 pm »
How To Cosplay Death Note via a 4chan meme:
Step 1: Go to Hot Topic
Step 2: Buy stuff
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:54:26 pm by fleur_fraise »
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
How To Cosplay Death Note via a 4chan meme:
Step 1: Go to Hot Topic
Step 2: Buy stuff
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Cosplay as L
1) Buy a white longsleave shirt and blue jeans (just go to wall mart
2) die your hair black and spike it somewhat
3) use black eye makeup for under your eyes

that's about it, and all for about 20 bucks.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »
Don't forget to get copious amounts of candy and chew on you thumb, also, don't wear shoes and always have terrible posture.
I miss 2010.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 08:07:35 pm »
And wear cat ears.

Because it's "kawaii."
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:12 pm »
All these series are the only ones people know about. If you took these away, what would be left for people to watch? Are they bad because they're popular?

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »
All these series are the only ones people know about. If you took these away, what would be left for people to watch? Are they bad because they're popular?

no, their alright, it's just that so many people make them seem much better than they actually are, and when listening to fan boys and fan girls go on, and on, and on about thing's like Naruto, or Bleach and make them seem like their the greatest hero's and that nothing can defeat them, or how the story is so great. Like I said in my original post, I still read Naruto and Bleach and keep up with it, but it get's tiring to hear about these series and the fact that nothing's better then it. 

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
I actually haven't watched/read the main ones showing up here- Death Note, Naruto, or Bleach. There are plenty of unknown anime that are available, and even some that are well-known, but not "overrated." There are many things out there to watch.
Not to mention anime isn't the only form of entertainment. I watch plenty of American shows.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:50 pm »
Plenty of things would be left and most of it better than these cliched plotlines and characters.

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 10:29:29 pm »
Naruto.

I liked it for a LONG time, and I'm not proud.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 10:39:28 pm »
hands down, i think that one piece is one of the wost series thought of. at first, the whole, gum gum thing was a legendary fruit and crap, but now every villian has some power that has a repeating word. and also i don't really like how people are addicted to the twilight movie, it wasn't that good. the books were very good. but not amazing. GUH. sorry if i piss anyone off with it.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 10:42:29 pm »
Naruto.

I liked it for a LONG time, and I'm not proud.

don't be embarrassed, it would have been much better if it wasn't so over done bye the fan's, saying it's the greatest series in existence. I mean, I was raised in the era of pokemon being the "greatest" thing in existence, and even tho I will admit that I still enjoy the first few seasons (jhoto being the last season that's good) and I still play the games, that's about the extent of it, and in my opinion, there is stuff that's so much better, but I wasted a lot of money on pokemon merchandise, that it's not even funny. But if you ignore the fan base, Naruto is alright, I will say it's really overrated and need's to be toned down, but I still read the manga, but I will in no way say it's great, it's just good. Same with Bleach, Pokemon, Death Note, and DBZ.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:15 pm »
hands down, i think that one piece is one of the wost series thought of. at first, the whole, gum gum thing was a legendary fruit and crap, but now every villian has some power that has a repeating word. and also i don't really like how people are addicted to the twilight movie, it wasn't that good. the books were very good. but not amazing. GUH. sorry if i piss anyone off with it.

Hey, don't worry about it, and I will agree on Twilight, mainly because I play VtM (Vampire the Masquerade) and I see so many thing's wrong with Twilight that my mind just nit picks at it, seeing every little thing wrong with it (plus the vampires light up like a disco ball and the acting sucks) But One Piece, I don't hate it (mainly because it's one of the only series that has the pirates as the hero, and you don't see that) but I will agree with you on the whole gum gum thing, that was pretty retarded.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 12:13:56 am »
Azumanga Daioh. Never liked it, I love Yotsuba+ though, but I never understood why people liked it so much. Ugh~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 12:29:20 am »
haha, I love Azumanga Daioh. I do think it definitely takes a certain kind of personality to appreciate it though. It is about as close to a Japanese Family Guy as you can get, I think. It is completely random and off-the-wall, so if that isn't your thing, then the show probably would annoy you, lol. I love it, though. One of my top faves.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 12:35:03 am »
I thought of another one that, to me, is overrated thanks to Megan bringing up Azumanga.~ (Which I've never watched so I have no opinion of.) The anime I think is overrated is "Lucky Star". Honestly I watched one episode of that show and got bored to the point where I was about to hit my head on my desk. It might just be me, but I really don't see how it got as big of a fanbase as it did. It's so...I don't even know.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 01:25:47 am »
Haha, yeah Eve. And I never really got why I didn't like it, because I liked Yotsuba+ and FLCL. It was just...eh, haha.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 02:07:36 am »
hey romo, i agree with you. lucky star, i watched about 11 episodes and then realized how plain it is. it is kinda wierd how boring it got. yet i still watched it. and i am kinda into more girly anime and manga. it is a curse and a gift.

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:19 pm »
Haha, yeah Eve. And I never really got why I didn't like it, because I liked Yotsuba+ and FLCL. It was just...eh, haha.

I've never read FLCL. I'm not even sure what it's about. D:
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »

FLCL is so weird, it's like...a party that you weren't invited to and you somehow stumbled in.

Offline Desoto

• Oni
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 11:09:41 pm »
Naruto, it causes Narutards to spontaneously sprout up everywhere, causing Hailey to get headaches, thus making her grouchy. (Which is why everyone thinks I glare so much. >.>)

Stop fueling her silent rage.
Wag more, Bark less.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:45 pm »
Naruto, Bleach, Death Note and Vampire Knight.
the first three because no one ever shuts up about it and Vampire Knight because it reminds me of Twilight to much

China bound!!!

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 11:50:41 pm »
Irony about Twilight and Vampire Knight is that they were both published in the same year, 2005. At least, their first books were. I don't care about Twilight AT ALL. I've never picked it up or watched the movie, but I don't know if it's good or bad because of that. Personally I like Vampire Knight, I just got bored of it and for some reason it became mega popular. //Shrugs.// I don't really care either way though. It hasn't become an obnoxious fandom to me. But that's just me!~
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Chaotic.Fox

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 05:10:06 pm »
It may not be an anime but I think that Spongebob Squarepants is Highly overated and should not be on the air,

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 06:14:21 pm »
Well, I don't watch anime, but I do play a lot of games...

Final Fantasy.

Good games, especially 2 and Tactics.  Otherwise?  Just a bunch of A-rate games.  Nothing worthy of the fanbase it has.

Guitar Hero

I played Guitar Hero 1, and was entirely unimpressed by everything about it.  I played GH2, and it seemed okay.  I played GH3, and it seemed like it was getting somewhere; DDR didn't start to get good until 3rd Mix, so I figured I'd keep my eye on it.  Then Guitar Hero World Tour happened.  Somehow, the series is still popular.  I don't feel that it ever merited the popularity it accomplished, but at least GH3 is a game that I'll play.

Harvest Moon

Seriously...you walk around...uh...working?  What?  I don't get how this game is fun.  It seems like a timekiller if nothing else.  I can't think of any reason I'd play this though.  If I were bored enough to do so, I'd just play Monster Hunter or something else that actually features gameplay, rather than a string of mundane tasks.  I've kind of heard that Animal Crossing is similar, but haven't played it myself so I wouldn't know.

EDIT:
I've watched every episode of the anime and I still have no idea what's supposed to be going on.  It's pretty cool. ;]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:17:51 pm by DancingTofu »
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 07:59:07 pm »
As much as I want to criticize Twilight to no end, I can't justify it since I haven't read it (which I will some day) nor have I seen the movie (which ain't gonna happen).  But from what I've heard, chances of me liking it are 0%.

One Piece.
It seriously can't take that long to get to the Grand Stream, can it?

Origins
This is a movie that DOES look good, has a good storyline, received good ratings and reviews, but the acting....... ick.  The characters call out each others' names for about half the movie.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 03:33:18 am »
pokemans. it was cool maybe the first 2 seasons. but then kinda lost it's touch when every other pokyman you could get was a legendary. there are about 800 pokymans now, and about 50 of them are "legendary". so frankly, i boo it. BUT THE GAMEZ MAKEZ ME DROOLZ

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »
I know we just finished the Twilight bit, but here's something for all of you to watch... Maybe this will prove that Twilight is really bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-HQhRlfiak&feature=channel_page

and here's a pic to prove it even further.

(the video has cursing, and is a little loud)

Offline ZeroAquaduct

• Oni
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:41 am »
I would have to say Haruhi. I'm really liked Haruhi, but I don't know why it got that big of a fan base. The anime was great, but I thought other anime, like CLANNAD, is great as well, but you don't see the same fan base that Haruhi got. The Haruhi dance, the number of Haruhi figures released, guys in Japan trying to marry Mikuru legally, etc.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »
Though it's not an anime, (which hasn't stopped others from posting them), I find this next one to be so over-rated that it blows all of the other ones out of the water...

HARRY POTTER!!!

I just thought of an anime movie that I've always thought was over-hyped: AKIRA!

Some of the recent ones mentioned that I'd like to address:

Vampire Knight - Is that one even hyped up?  I think I've only heard of it once, maybe twice, before this thread.  Maybe I've just never been around its followers enough to have seen the hype.

Azumanga Daioh - I think it deserved the hype it had for the first few years, but there hasn't been much of anything new relating to the series itself to come out, so really any "new" jokes are just recycled ones.

The previous post about Haruhi.  Though I do feel that the original season deserved the hype it got as a good show, but I've never seen CLANNAD, so I can't compare the two.  Also, in case someone points out the second season, I have yet to heard something about it that would make me want to avoid it, though I can understand why some people might give up their love for the show.
There's nothing wrong with loving the dance; it's a fun one.  The figures, I don't really collect figures so I could care less.  Trying to marry Mikuru, that's creepy, but not unheard of.  Unfortunately, others have tried to do the same thing with others from the past, such as Chun-Li and Cammy, and I think Lara Croft.  As far as I know, nobody was legally allowed to do such a thing, but I don't know.  Either way, that's just sad.  (On the other hand, if it was doable, I'd try & get Yuri Sakazaki or Ukyo Kuonji).  :P

The motivational poster regarding Edward as a stalker.  Not only does it make him sound like a stalker, but it also shows how different the two of them really are.  Shouldn't he be going to bed soon himself?  Oh wait, that's right.  He's not a real vampire!  He glitters!  He's just a confusing little glitter man!  Where's my stake?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:58:14 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 04:11:01 pm »
I do agree, Harry Potter is a bit overrated, I do read the books, especially when I'm board, and I do watch the movies, but there are other series out there that are really good as well. But like I said, it can be more than just anime, that includes movies, video games, and books.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 07:25:40 pm »
Death Note and Naruto.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 01:57:54 am »
BLAAAAH. ima cosplaying from both! i don't really follow the story of naruto, but that doesn't mean i can't like it. lol. and death note in my opinion has a wonderful concept that they handled beautifully till the end. when they eff-ed it up. but naruto is like crack to anime noobs. but it is just like a lot of other series. ninjas and crap. just that these ninjas have magical powers.