Author Topic: ever hear of Itasha?  (Read 6014 times)

Offline tamsin

• Oni
ever hear of Itasha?
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:11:49 am »
Anyone ever hear of itasha?
http://www.pinktentacle.com/2007/04/itasha-pimped-rides-otaku-style/
I’m looking for any information I can find on how to get anime decals and design a theme for my own car. I thought this would be a good community to ask.
Anyone know where I can buy decals or know a car decal printer that knows something about anime? The last two that I went to said something along the lines of “oh yeah, anime, I think my kid watches that on the cartoon network”.
Any information would be very helpful.

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: ever hear of Itasha?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:07:49 am »
Ah... There are some very cool cars decked out with itasha stickers out there~ I love the Hatsune Miku-themed BMW Z4 that debuted as the first itasha racing car in the 2008 Super GT <333

While I don't think it'd be very easy to find a place in the area that would accomodate itasha decorations, I'm sure it's not impossible. I may be able to help you find some stickers, but they will most likely be sold in Japan. Let me know if you need any help :3

Offline tamsin

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:54:26 pm »
I’d love to be able to find some decals that are big enough, not just the 6 inch window stickers. If they are in Japan so much the better as long as they can be ordered. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:57:21 pm »
ok. ive held it in long enough: WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:26:49 pm »
Why not?

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:51 am »
Why not?
To hold the appearance of a normal person.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:28 am »
Why not?
To hold the appearance of a normal person.
there is no such thing as a normal person, look close enough and everyone is a little odd. Some just try to hide it, and some dont care what others think and be themself.

Offline tamsin

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:49 pm »
Why would I do this?
Because I love anime. Because I want to spread the love. Because I think I can make something that I would really like and be proud of on my car. Because people who don’t get otaku and ridicule me for it don’t matter to me. People that do get otaku can enjoy it with me. And people that get otaku and ridicule me because they are to afraid of what other people would think of them really tick me off. I mean you’re into anime and you want to hide it?! What’s the use of that? It’s just going to be a source of guilt and ridicule in your life. I prefer to take the philosophy that if you love something then you are proud to show that love to anyone who will share it with you. Not hide it away because of some stooped fear that someone may not like you because you like something they don’t.
Why would I do this? The real question is how could I NOT and still be true to myself?!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »
MY OPINION ON THIS, DON'T BE HATIN'.

These cars remind me of the ROCKSTAR and other brand name styled cars that you see driving down the street. I find it a little obnoxious. Showing your love for something is all great (though the cars I just spoke about are to advertise something) but there is a point when it's a little "too" obsessive. I would be worried about the car anyways, stuff like that only draws attention to whatever your driving and increases the likely hood of theft (maybe not so much) and vandalism (YES YES YES IT WILL) on your vehicle.

It just reminds me of when I lived back in Redmond and I saw a guy with a huge pair of deer horns attached to the top of his car. Yes you like hunting, I can tell that from your "Let's go kill stuff" bumper stickers and gun rack in the back of your pick-up, but do you really have to be that blatant about it?
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:46 pm »
MY OPINION ON THIS, DON'T BE HATIN'.

These cars remind me of the ROCKSTAR and other brand name styled cars that you see driving down the street. I find it a little obnoxious. Showing your love for something is all great (though the cars I just spoke about are to advertise something) but there is a point when it's a little "too" obsessive. I would be worried about the car anyways, stuff like that only draws attention to whatever your driving and increases the likely hood of theft (maybe not so much) and vandalism (YES YES YES IT WILL) on your vehicle.

It just reminds me of when I lived back in Redmond and I saw a guy with a huge pair of deer horns attached to the top of his car. Yes you like hunting, I can tell that from your "Let's go kill stuff" bumper stickers and gun rack in the back of your pick-up, but do you really have to be that blatant about it?
This.

But honestly, who am I to judge? It's your car and your money. I once saw a BMW designed to look like pikachu and I thought that it was kinda cute XD
I would never do anything like that myself, though. It's not that I'm ashamed of things I like (I crossplay for crying out loud lol) it's just that it would be a really easy target for vandalism.
Good luck to you, however. If it's something that you want to do then have at it.
Be sure to post pictures if or once you've found a way. ^^
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »
It doesnt have to be huge and obscene you know. I would Personally love to get a midsized print on a quarter panel or hood of my car of the mithril shield from FMP. You dont have to go all runway fashionista to show you like to dress up, just put on something nice. I for one support the idea.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »
People have apparently missed my point: I hate when people put huge stickers on their cars. And I think Itasha is silly, like many other things "otaku" do.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:12:19 pm »
People have apparently missed my point: I hate when people put huge stickers on their cars. And I think Itasha is silly, like many other things "otaku" do.

ooh, so you just posted to discredit the idea and in general look down on people who do think its cool by calling it silly and saying you hate it. Pretty sure the OP was asking for advice on where to get good pics for itasha not whether you really like it or not. Keep it to yourself next time.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »
lets try to keep it civil here guys. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, BUT I will say this: I wouldnt dis on otaku when on an anime convetion board, as thats a bit hypocritical
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 08:37:17 am »
I've also got to address something else, the use of otaku. I used to use it a lot and I actually stopped as soon as I found out what it meant.
Copy pasta definition for those who don't know...
"'Otaku is the honorific word of Taku (home).

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Usually an otaku person has nothing better to do with their life so they pass the time by watching anime, playing videogames, surfing the internet (otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer).

In the Western culture, people confuse otaku to be something positive like "Guru". If you think about it, it's not really good to be called a guru if it means you are a total loser who can't socialize with other people except through the Internet.

Other Japanese words which have been confused by Westerners also include but not limited to: Anime, Manga, etc"

Just so the people who don't know do now. I'm not trying to force you to use other words, but if you want to be referred as a shut-in then, by all means, keep using the word. If not it would probably be a much more accurate of description of your personality to use the words "anime fan".
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:04 am »
The current Prime Minister of Japan, Taro Aso is an otaku.(from Wikipedia)

If he can be called an otaku, then i guess its ok if i'm called one.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:55 am »
Actually, those are pretty cool. If I had a car I'd definitely do something like this, though maybe something a little more subtle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:33:48 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 04:52:44 pm »
I don't see a problem with it. Isn't any different to me then wearing an anime shirt out in public. Only it's on your car and not your shirt. xP

I think those are neat. I especially like the car in the first picture (The closest one to the camera). The purple and black look nice together. :)