Author Topic: How do I have the most fun possible at Kumoricon?  (Read 4237 times)

Offline ichigo

• Cabbit
    • My Myspace Page
How do I have the most fun possible at Kumoricon?
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
So I'm new to Kumoricon, first year, just moved from texas...

What's the best way to have the most fun possible at Kumoricon? ???

What things are 'do not miss' things?

What do you think?

I want to maximize my fun, so I'm asking your advice!  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:36:07 pm by ichigo »
i am a YOJIMBO
Bankai Ichigo 5%

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: How do I have most fun possible at Kumoricon?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:09 pm »
I have a lot more fun when I cosplay....

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:52 pm »
I'd say... Basically, try to always be doing something :P If you're ever alone, try striking up conversation with someone. Don't sit in one place just watching the action; if you see a game or a group of people, find out what's up and try to join in. Don't be too intrusive though, make sure they're alright with it first xD
Take breaks when you can though, or you'll end up exhausted early. If you have to sit down and rest, try finding someone you can have a good conversation with first, and if you do, find a spot there. Or wander by panel rooms and peek in if anything interesting's going on. The arcade's pretty sweet too.

On the first day, when you get your con sched, try highlighting the things that look interesting. (If you're a nerd like me, color code them by level of interest or star your favorites >U>;) You might not be able to attend everything, but then if you're ever bored, you can check on the panels you marked down.

Try to be sure to have a place to stash your stuff. If you have a hotel room or a car that's easy, but if you don't, try finding a trustworthy friend (might wanna do this before the con) that has either of these things. You don't want to be lugging around Dealers' Room swag all day, and you might get tired of carrying a weapon if your cosplay has one.

Three things you probably would want to attend would be the dance(s?), the karaoke room, and closing ceremonies, but that's just me ^^; I don't attend many panels myself. The dance should have obvious reasons, the karaoke room is fun if you're with friends, and closing ceremonies is the only thing going on at the end of Kcon, so why not? The cosplay contest never really appealed to me, but you might like it.

... And that's about all I can think of :'D

Offline Mentally Hilarious

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:25:51 pm »
TEXAS?!
I don't feel so alone anymore! T^T
Fun? Well I only have fun when I have friends so if you dont have friends going with you then...I dunno.
Its kinda easy to make friends there. Everyone (well to me) seemed so nice so yeah! Be social!

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:47 pm »
Walk around, do stuff, talk to people, cosplay.
Going to panels are optional.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: How do I have the most fun possible at Kumoricon?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:05:27 am »
A few crucial things: Get there on Friday, if possible. Getting there the day before the con starts gives you the chance to look over the schedule before things begin. When you get the schedule, mark or highlight everything you want to do ahead of time, you won't miss out on anything good that way.

I can't stress that enough. Know what you want to do! It is just so much more fun to know what's up, go from here to there and just have a plan.

Be open, meet people, check the vendor's hall, don't stay in your room unless you need to, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline PaperShredderchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:16 am »
I agree with the friend thing. I went for one day last year with my little brother, and it was okay, but it could've been alot better.
I have alot more cosplay friends now, and I'll be there the entire weekend, so this year should be alot more fun.
Anyway, I think of cons as an excuse to act like a freak, so I say be as crazy as you can (without over doing it)!
I'm a dork though, so you might not picture things the same way I do.
I don't have much experience with cons, but I cosplay alot, and I know that cosplays can get really hot. That's just something to keep in mind, so you might want to have a water bottle, or a change of clothes incase your cosplay is starting to bug you. There's a thread here about con tips: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=10397.0
Hope I could help :3

Offline ichigo

• Cabbit
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:21:06 am »
@hazuza : Good tips.  I heard there's going to be a rave dance, is this true?  (or a the least something with electromusic and lights) :o
@Mentally Hilarious:  where are you from then?

It sounds like a need a group of friends cosplaying with me then...that's going to be somewhere between tough and impossible, because of the recent move and all...

Any meetups then ???, where I can meet people with the same interests?

(i can't believe i misspelled the subject text of this post "How do i have most fun possible at Kumoricon?"   :PARRGGH. i fixed it.)

i am a YOJIMBO
Bankai Ichigo 5%

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54:28 am »
i have fun when i cosplay. (the only time i ever alow pics of me xD).

my first k-con i didnt attend ANY panels. they didnt appel to me.

dances are fun as long as you have friends (seeing a pattern?)

i would also recremend cosplaychess
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:00:07 am »
There are lots of meet ups! Just check the "Plan your own adventure section"  :)

Last year when my friend had to go do something, I had no one with me for about an hour. But I went to the nearby park and joined a red rover game xD I also took pics of people and asked some about there cosplays. You can make good friends that way.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:59:06 am »
A few crucial things: Get there on Friday, if possible. Getting there the day before the con starts gives you the chance to look over the schedule before things begin. When you get the schedule, mark or highlight everything you want to do ahead of time, you won't miss out on anything good that way.

I can't stress that enough. Know what you want to do! It is just so much more fun to know what's up, go from here to there and just have a plan.

Be open, meet people, check the vendor's hall, don't stay in your room unless you need to, heh.
Don't they also post the schedule online? So if you can't get there the day before you can check that.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:00:48 am »
Yeah, that's true. Although you can't guarantee that it won't have changed between the forum and the printed guide. Still, it is definitely helpful one way or another.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:24:11 am »
ichigo: I'm from Texas. *waves Texas flag*

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
Wow, so many coming from so far!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:51:13 am »
@hazuza : Good tips.  I heard there's going to be a rave dance, is this true?  (or a the least something with electromusic and lights)

Er... honestly, I dunno *u*; I haven't really got to go to the dances yet since I've had to leave before it, but I know that's how it's been before, so... They should have the same this year?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:03 pm »
I'm sure they will have a dance like that again this year. They have for the past three years, at least.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:31 pm »
I am pretty sure that there was another posting about how to prepare for KumoriCon, or What things should I do at KumoriCon.  I would say that so far you have most of the key things mentioned already.  Since two of the three Guests listed for the con are music groups (Soul Candy and Last Stop Tokyo), I can pretty much guarantee there will be a dance (probably more than one).   ;D
  • The program schedule will usually be posted on this forum a few weeks before the con, so you can download it, print it, and highlight everything you want to see.
  • ARRIVE EARLY and get through the pre-reg line as fast as possible.  WHAT!! YOU AREN'T PRE-REGISTERED!!  DO IT NOW!!
  • Schedule in breaks for eating, and determine ahead of time the best places to eat.  Not as easy as you may think
  • If you do plan to attend dances and the Cosplay Contest, make sure to get your ticket for the event (usually free, first come first served) Plan to stand in line for a good hour.
  • If you plan to sing karaoke, practice, practice. practice, and bring it with you in as many forms as you can!  Read the contest rules to find out more.
  • Come in cosplay to have the most fun, but if you don't like cosplay, bring a camera and take pictures of all of the ones who do.  Make sure to post them all later, so that the people who cosplay can get them. (It always seems that you don't have time to take pics when you are busy posing for pics.)   ;D
  • Do you like writing fan-fics?  Bring them with you, or submit them early.  Check the contest area for more info about The Creation Station events
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:46:43 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 08:59:33 pm »
1. Do your own thing.  Don't follow friends around or hold yourself to the expectations of others.
2. Figure out a rooming situation that you're comfortable with.  If that means shelling out for your own room so you won't have to worry about anything, do that.  If it means sleeping in your car, do that.  I don't recommend cramming a room unless you're with a lot of people you really trust and enjoy not being able to get to sleep around.
3. Don't hold yourself to your real-world comfort zone.  You're surrounded by weirdos, so be a little eccentric and let your enjoyment guide you.  Don't do anything clearly disruptive or potentially dangerous, but don't be afraid of embarrassing yourself.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:23 pm »
 big thing remeber to eat, plan foods stuff
other wise how good of a time are you going to have if you have to wait in a big line to avoid starving to death
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ichigo

• Cabbit
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »
@superjaz:  bring food. check! ;)
@Dancing tofu:  sleep around huh? lawl.  :P
@Wuntvor:  good tips!  ;D
@Mentally Hilarious:  no kidding?  you're from texas too!  thats great!  i actually moved here to get away from the south  :P , you?
@Eve of Abyss:  i hope they have a dance like that!  i'll bring my led lights just in case  :)

i want to check out those meetups but i haven't finished my cosplay yet so...
i am a YOJIMBO
Bankai Ichigo 5%

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:32 am »
@Dancing tofu:  sleep around huh? lawl.  :P
Oh wow, that came out wrong. ;^^
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 10:07:12 am »
Ichigo: I was 'forced' here with my mom after my parents had a divorce like *looks at watch* 12 years ago. But we go back and forth a bit. I miss the hot air! D:
Whenever it gets 'hot' here everyone around me is like dying int he sun but me I'm like
"Dude....it aint even warm out!" Its so cool to meet another from Texas!

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 10:59:21 am »
last year there were technically 3 dances
1 one the first night, pretty normal everyone in cosplay playing anime music dance,
2nd night was the masquerade ball, dress in formal wear and everyone had to have a masquerade mask on, then the ball was IMMEDIATELY followed with a rave. everyone stripped off their masks, techono music started, and glow sticks were brought out =]

I liked the dances a lot, and the pannels.

Offline ichigo

• Cabbit
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »
@Mentally Hilarious:  very cool.  ;D  Yeah, "hot" here is not hot to me, or to you for that matter!  And I love the cold, and it never really gets cold for long in Texas, does it... we need to form a texans in oregon alliance!!...nah...I like oregon better, no need  :)

@shanime_panda:  wait!?  so i need to bring formal wear?  and a mask?!   that second dance sounds really good.  :)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:52:19 pm by ichigo »
i am a YOJIMBO
Bankai Ichigo 5%

• Sailor Scout
    • GaiaOnline
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:01 pm »
Ichigo: As long as you aint saying Canada is better than its ok. I like Oregon and Texas equally though.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:01 am »
VOLUNTEER!!!
you'll meet people AND get in on a lot of things that regular attendees don't get in on.

(Cosplay needs volunteers - cosplay wranglers, stage ninja & ushers!! - see the cosplay show up front and personal  ;D )

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 06:53:16 pm »
@Mentally Hilarious:  very cool.  ;D  Yeah, "hot" here is not hot to me, or to you for that matter!  And I love the cold, and it never really gets cold for long in Texas, does it... we need to form a texans in oregon alliance!!...nah...I like oregon better, no need  :)

@shanime_panda:  wait!?  so i need to bring formal wear?  and a mask?!   that second dance sounds really good.  :)

you don't have to be in formal wear, you can just wear one of your cosplays. And as for the masks, they have workshops where you can design your own mask, but if that's not your thing [sinceyou have to wait in line] they hand them to you while you're waiting in line for the dance.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 07:18:18 pm »
but bring your own or attend the panel for the amskurade! they run out and wont let you in with out one ;_;
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 10:53:54 am »
but bring your own or attend the panel for the amskurade! they run out and wont let you in with out one ;_;

which is once again why they run up and down the line with handfuls of masks and give them to anyone who doesn't have one.
I think they're pretty well stocked =/

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:31 am »
I think the concept of the masquerade is funny, because (at least last year) nobody was wearing their masks once inside the dance. It was too hot and everyone was dancing (to techno music, by the way), so everyone was just taking them off anyway.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:33:31 pm »
I think the concept of the masquerade is funny, because (at least last year) nobody was wearing their masks once inside the dance. It was too hot and everyone was dancing (to techno music, by the way), so everyone was just taking them off anyway.
I never attended the masquerade xD I always just go to the rave afterwords cause theres not really a line... i dont think ive ever had to wait in line for a rave at k con ._.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 12:58:58 pm »
GLOMP CIRCLE!!!
but if you are going to cosplay I would say dont. it will be destroyed

China bound!!!

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 04:03:18 pm »

ehh?! my friend tried to take hers off and one of the staff members slid it back down over her eyes! So we just fought through it, man those things were so sweaty and gross DX

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »
Mhm, everyone was being told to put them back on.
M-maybe we should have air-conditioning?  x3