Author Topic: Final Fantasy Distant Worlds  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
Final Fantasy Distant Worlds
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:46:47 pm »
eve and i just got back from seattle where we saw final fantasy distant worlds, a symphony comprised of all final fantasy music!!

it was an amazing show, to say the least ^.^ the place was packed full of final fantasy fans, it was really cool to see so many people who love the games and music, and to hear the excitement in the audience about each song played. the music was just fantastic- some songs were just fun to hear, others really powerful and moving. they had some videos showing on a screen behind the orchestra, and they went pretty perfectly with the songs, so that added a lot to the atmosphere.

some highlights- they opened with "liberi fatali" from ff viii, and it brought tears to my eyes, it was so exciting and moving, especially with the video. other tear-jerkers included "to zanarkand" from ff x, and "aeris' theme" from ff vii. when they played the battle theme from ff viii, they actually had video of a battle from the game, so it went perfectly and got a lot of crowd approval ^.^ another fun song was a swing version of the chocobo theme (closest to the one from ff x), and the medley from ff i through iii, which had some great video of the classics, with some new fmv footage from the re-release of ff iii. and of course, how could you have a final fantasy symphony without "one winged angel"? they thought they could fool us by not adding it in the program, but i think everyone there knew it would be the encore song. and wow, it was fantastic. words really can't describe it... and i've written too much, so maybe speechless-ness is a good thing, lol.

oh, did i mention nobuo uematsu attended? o.O that was perhaps the greatest thing of all. we couldn't see him very well, but he was there, and did get up on stage a couple times to take a few bows (even though he wasn't the one conducting) it was just awesome to know he was there ^.^

so, the conductor mentioned they may be coming back to the area in october, but i can't find any dates listed yet. eve and i definitely want to go again, and cosplay this time. it would be a great opportunity to show off a great ff cosplay and get some good photos taken, because there were absolutely no cosplayers when we went (making us regret we didn't bring costumes...) we were thinking it would be really cool to get a group of ff cosplayers to go together if the symphony does come here again. anyone up for it if we find out dates and such? >.O

oh yeah, the final fantasy distant worlds cd is available to buy, and the website is here: http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/index.php?limitstart=5

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Final Fantasy Distant Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:52:45 pm »
Yeah...what can I say that you didn't say already? It was phenomenal, the magic of Final Fantasy was palpable in the room as they played through those songs. Things came to life like they have never seemed to before...it was just fantastic.

And I totally agree, I would hope that the next time they come through we can get a group together, because what says dedication more than a group of cosplayers? And if Nobuo is there again, imagine the recognition!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55:39 pm »
oh man, if nobuo saw us there in cosplay and acknowledged us, i think i may faint... lol jk... but really, i might >.O

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »
Oh, no, for real. I'd cry right then and there.

Barret....crying like a little fangirl.....can ya believe it?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:59 pm »
lol, it's ok, aeris (aka me, lol) would give you a flower-shaped cookie on a stick and make it all better >.O and then i'd give one to nobuo, and he'd probably just look at me funny... lol

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »
lol, naw, he'd get it. ^_^

Anyway, back on-topic, I think my favorite song they performed was "Liberi Fatali". It was just indescribably epic.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:38:19 pm »
I'm so jealous. I would have love to see that :P

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:57 pm »
You should go with us when it comes through again, Nikki! We were actually talking about you on the way back, hoping you would join our cosplay team for the next show in October, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:49:04 pm »
What show? I might be up for that, and I would love to go to it next time it comes through.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »
The Distant Worlds concert is going to be coming through again sometime in October. That's the show I was referring to. We want to get a cosplay group together for it next time, because nobody cosplayed when we went, and we think it would be brilliant exposure for us as cosplayers if we cosplayed to the concert next time.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:45 pm »
It isn't a formal thing?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:56:21 pm »
It's a symphony, but no it's not formal. People were just wearing street clothes and what-not. These are gamers and FF nerds, after all, haha.

Nobuo himself was wearing a bandana and jeans, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:18 pm »
I might be up for that. I think I would stick with Cloud if I did go.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 10:58:30 pm »
Yeah, I can imagine how you may feel uncomfortable as Kuja in a music hall setting, heh.

I'm stoked for the next concert already now. I really do think this could be greeeeat for us as individual cosplayers and as reps of Kumoricon, heh.

But yeah, I will be sure to keep details in here whenever we hear when the next concert is.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:58:52 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:59 pm »
I would love to go so please do.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:05:30 am »
Yay, glad to have you with us. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 04:05:50 am »
yay!! *is more excited now* hopefully they post show dates soon

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 08:45:28 am »
Yup, I'm eager to find out when. And I just hope it isn't during the HPLFF, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:04 am »
I am too, that way I can buy a ticket XD

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »
Oh my gosh, this sounds absolutely amazing, please do let us know when the next concert will be!

How much were tickets? If it's going to be this year I'm gonna have to start saving. x_X;
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 02:58:42 pm »
Tickets were only $17 for this last one.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »
Really?? That is wonderful news! Normally I can never go to performances because they cost too much. Aaah, I'm so excited!

Haha, and if you guys cosplayed I'd definitely bring Irvine or another FF character. ;)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »
Coool. ^_^ This should be awesome next time it comes around.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:40 am »
So, don't mean to double post, but there's been news about the next concert.

Orpheum Theatre
Thursday - Oct 8, 2009 - 8pm

Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Tickets available on Monday, July 27th at 10am
at http://www.vancouversymphony.ca
Phone: 604-876-3434

The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra presents the Canadian Premier of a unique and thrilling performance of Nobuo Uematsu’s award-winning music from FINAL FANTASY, with state of the art video projected on screens to showcase the game’s most memorable and thrilling sequences. The music will be performed live by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, with Grammy award-winner Arnie Roth conducting. This concert will also feature the North American premiere performance of the FINAL FANTASY VII Main Theme.

Looks like it will be in Vancouver, CA and not Vancouver, WA. That's what I reckoned. Too far to go?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 08:53:04 am »
And it is in the middle of the week x.x

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:39 am »
Yeah...now I am really having second thoughts about this one. We had to leave at 3:00 just to get to Seattle before 8:00, so I don't want to imagine the amount of driving a trip to Vancouver would take.

Yeeeeeah....I don't think this is gonna happen, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 05:53:31 pm »
Dang, I wanted to go so bad but just didn't have the means and such =[

I hope they come back to the area again, I would love to hear the magic live....
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 07:16:59 pm »
yeah me and my hun would love to go if they come by again there must be a k -con ff cos play group represent!!!! i wonder if i turned my wedding dress into a moogle out fit if it would be to formal? thoughts ?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »
sorry about my double post i check the forums on my phone so it is easy to miss a post, that said, first the day sucks for me because i will be in la or on a plane to la  , then there is it being in canada , yeah ... NEXT TIME RIGHT GUYS!?!?!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 06:17:47 am »
Yup, next time! Hopefully they will come closer in the future. I agree, we must have a FF Cosplay Group present whenever they come back around (within reasonable distance), because there definitely weren't any last time we went. Talk about publicity!

And that's an interesting idea about turning your wedding dress into a Moogle costume. I've not seen your dress, so I can't give a strong opinion, but it sounds like it could be a cute idea. Formal Moogle, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »
Eek, Canada? Yeah, Washington was pushing it for me so Canada is way out of bounds. Next time they're closer it is!!!

Offline Kangetsu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »
I was there for the last showing of this that happened in Seattle with a few friends, and it was a pretty epic concert overall. I'm pretty sure that the highlight (for sheer bizarre factor) had to be at the end of the concert - Uematsu got up on stage, and he was carrying something with him. It took us a while to figure it out, but we're pretty sure that they fish shaped potholders that he picked up at Pike's Market, which he then proceeded to toss into the audience. I don't know if he did this the other nights, but he also sang along with the chorus when they performed One Winged Angel.

I was a little surprised at how heavy the show was on FF8 music overall (not a complaint so much as an observation.) I wouldn't have minded just a liiiiittle bit more from 6. I <3 that soundtrack so much.

Offline Arrow

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 11:09:58 am »
Oh gosh... that show was amazing. I totally forgot about it, but then a day before the concert my brother found something about it online and we decided to go on a whim. It was totally worth it. <333 By that time, though, all the cheap tickets were gone; we spent forty dollars each on tickets. But it was worth it. I can die happy, now.

But I would die happier if they hadn't cut the ONE FINAL FANTASY FOUR SONG. GAH. But I have it on the cd, so it's okay.
two thousand sixteen plans
??? | 0% | ???

choices are hard

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:04 am »
Oh gosh... that show was amazing. I totally forgot about it, but then a day before the concert my brother found something about it online and we decided to go on a whim. It was totally worth it. <333 By that time, though, all the cheap tickets were gone; we spent forty dollars each on tickets. But it was worth it. I can die happy, now.

But I would die happier if they hadn't cut the ONE FINAL FANTASY FOUR SONG. GAH. But I have it on the cd, so it's okay.

haha, you didn't miss out on much by not buying the cheap tickets. My fiancee and I got tickets way early, and they were really cheap, like $10, I think. We ended up in the very, very front row, though. It was still cool, but we didn't expect to be so close with early tickets, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Arrow

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:51 am »

haha, you didn't miss out on much by not buying the cheap tickets. My fiancee and I got tickets way early, and they were really cheap, like $10, I think. We ended up in the very, very front row, though. It was still cool, but we didn't expect to be so close with early tickets, heh.
We were waaaaay in the back. XD Top level, in one of those little side balconies. But the view was great. It would have been pretty cool to be right in front, though, staring up at all the amazing.
two thousand sixteen plans
??? | 0% | ???

choices are hard

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:40 am »
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't change it if I could do it again. It was a eternally memorable moment. MY only problem was that our seats were up front, and to the side of the stage, so when Nobuo got up on stage, everyone stood and cheered and clapped, and we couldn't see anything. T_T

I saw him walking in the aisle, though, so I guess that will have to do, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!