Author Topic: Ratio of Cosplayers Vs Attendees  (Read 2253 times)

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
Ratio of Cosplayers Vs Attendees
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:04:51 am »
I just wonder as a con geek myself. What is the ratio between Cosplyers and Non Cosplayers at Kumoricon.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: Ratio of Cosplayers Vs Attendees
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:06:17 am »
Observably somewhere around 2:1 (that is, 2 out of 3 people cosplay).  This is a very rough estimate though.  I'm not really sure how accurately that information can be polled.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
I saw very few people last year who weren't in actual cosplay, but I wasn't paying attention that much.
though the people who weren't cosplaying are usually photographers or parents attending with their children.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 06:34:41 pm »
Observably somewhere around 2:1 (that is, 2 out of 3 people cosplay).  This is a very rough estimate though.  I'm not really sure how accurately that information can be polled.

I was about to say it was more than that, but I looked over this photo from last year, and got about that. 41 cosplayers, and 25 not in that picture. O'course I can't recognize a lot of more casual cosplays ^^;

It'd be cool to take a survey next year to get better statistics :P

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »
That's a pretty informative photo actually.

One thing I've noticed is that people tend to see cosplayers, so getting an accurate at-a-glance estimate is somewhat difficult.  When I looked at that picture, it initially looked like about 4/5 of the people were cosplaying.

I also spend most of the con in the game room, which tends to be one of the primary attractions for non-cosplayers, so I had a few factors I had to estimate around.  I think that probably pictures of the reg line (like the one Hazuza linked to) are the best way to get an accurate estimate.  Though, as stated, some cosplays can be hard to recognize as cosplays, and sometimes I'll get mistaken for cosplaying because I tend to wear extravagant or unusual clothing at cons.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
It tends to depend on the time of day and who is at the convention.

Not everyone will wear a costume the whole time, others will. Other people will change their costume 5 times. Some people might cosplay for a few hours, then wear normal clothes for the rest of the con. These factors, and others, make it very hard to tell how many of the attendees are cosplayers. It is easier to count the amount of total attendees then how many of those attendees are cosplayers.

Someone might wear a costume for 10% of the convention. Do they count as a cosplayer? Depends who you ask.
Someone might wear a costume, but not be "in character". Do they count as a 'cosplayer'? Again, depends who you ask.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »
Yeah it seems like there is a lot more people cosplaying than there is not...I don't blame them. To me cosplaying makes the con more fun.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »
Yup, agreed. In my observations, cosplaying is definitely the choice of the majority, but also, it does depend where and when you are. Certain events tend to gather people whose interests don't really fall into cosplaying (gaming for example, most people who game won't do extensive cosplays if any at all).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
Yup, agreed. In my observations, cosplaying is definitely the choice of the majority, but also, it does depend where and when you are. Certain events tend to gather people whose interests don't really fall into cosplaying (gaming for example, most people who game won't do extensive cosplays if any at all).

Guess, I'm one of the few who is a gamer and cosplays... dah-dah-dah DAH! :) Yay for moi!

I wonder also the ratio of cosplayers:attendees. I think cosplay @ K-con has certainly increased over these few years! ^_^ YAY!  Maybe we should do a poll somehow...not an online one...
And so it begins...

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 08:31:10 pm »
Thanks, I do an informal survey during  the time I was bored at last year Kumoricon. I wanted to see how the number I got compared to the observations of others. I saw about 2 cosplayers to one attendee.
I am doing a little post dispelling a myth in another fandom I belong to. ;)