Author Topic: What Anime has literally Blown your Mind?  (Read 13189 times)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
Re: What Anime has literally Blown your Mind?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:15 am »
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei...Wicked funny and very clever.  I love the running jokes and stupid things this show can get away with, also its a lovely satire on Japanese culture too, and just beautiful to watch.

And those intros...  I busted those out in my design class and we rewatched them maybe 7 times over a 12 week course and most of the (very diverse) class loved them too.

Also a mind blower for me was Gankutsuou.... a visual stunner and a nice adaptation of one of my favorite pieces of literature. I manged to get both my mother(50) and grandmother(85) to watch it and even they were wowed.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
Higurashi no Naku koro Ni.  It went to very unexpected, trippy places very quickly, and episode 5 starts up after the events of episode 4 with me going "huuuuhh???"  which was pretty spectacular.

BUT THEN!!!  The way the story arcs all intersect and come together, and when the pieces of the puzzle start falling in place, that was pretty much a "MY MIND WAS JUST BLOWN" moment. 

And then the second season adds MORE depth to the whole thing and it's just like, "BHALBHLABJALAJBLAJBLJ????

AWESOME. <3  Higurashi is so cool.  I like a series that you can re-watch and pick up on so many things that didn't seem quite so significant before.

Also, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan and Puni Puni Poemi blew my mind in that they were so fast-paced and filled with general WTF-ery and rapid-fire comedic chaos, and that was swell. <3

Also, my first exposure to Evangelion was The End of Evangelion movie and....my mind was soup.  But it was pretty. <3

k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
Bokusatsu tenshi doku-dokuro-chan.
the epic troll of all animu.

one of mai personal favorites.
they should have continued that series.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »
Well misamisa who do you have to thank for that anime hmmm?

I saw it on the internet first and got both seasons at bestbuy for like 16 bucks.

as for me hmm:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei really threw me for a loop as well but my first mind blowing came from Outlaw Star as it was my first taste of Modern anime.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »
i agree with everyone that has said fullmetal alchemist, i adore that anime and it really hit me deep down. i have a tattoo of the last transmutation ed draws on himself ^.^

i saw someone else say requiem from the darkness, agreed there too. i've never seen such a gruesome anime. i loved it! the style was just sooooo different than anything i'd ever seen before, and some of the stories were just jaw dropping. thanks to eve for showing me that one >.O

someone else said wolf's rain, agreed there too. i cried. a lot. T.T

another would be le chevalier d'eon. visually stunning with a complex storyline that still has me asking questions after seeing the whole anime twice through. i've never seen an anime that draws on actual historical events and people then takes it to a whole new level. everyone should see that anime.

and another would be speed grapher. the concept was crazy and really unique. i've seen it twice through also and both times i was in awe of the story/plot and all the great characters that were introduced.

most of the ones i've seen, the more serious ones at least, have made my jaw drop and given me a lot to ponder, thus giving them a lot of re-watchability, but my list has gone on long enough for now, lol.

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »
Hellsing blew me away cause it opened me up to a lot of things I wasn't aware of like graphic violence, sexual themes and language. I found it somewhat forbidden for me and I loved it.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 09:53:04 am »
claymore i watched it and it had to be one of the best animes iv seen
elfen lied it has so much controversial subjects (rape,nudity,animal abuse,child abuse,etc.)
berserk for being good then kicking you in the face at the end of the last disk

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 01:47:52 pm »
Oh man, this is hard for me to choose!

Story-wise: Higurashi no naku koro ni and ni kai.. Rei I'm skeptical on because it's so far full of fillers and just when I was getting excited about the first arch in season 3.. It turned around and disappointed me >__> I just love how everything pulls you in to the story, it's confusing at first but the confusion makes you want to watch more until everything is answered.

Artistically- Paprika and Arashi no Yoru ni. One is full of mind-blowing detail, while the other has a very soft playful look that keeps an old traditional art style, but at the same time has the new modern look tied into it.

Characters and story- Princess Tutu. Despite the name and first appearance, this is definately a case of 'Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover'. The plot is very engaging and keeps finding ways to keep you hooked til the very end, the characters are all so fun and interesting, and I love how it incorporates the old with the new. Especially the classic music. Everyone knows the music, but the way it's put in the series always puts the proper emotion. Bringing old folklore, fairytales, and ballet classics and making them new and exciting is another thing I love.
It's a great anime for most anyone, even guys can enjoy it thoroughly.

Humor- Ranma 1/2 and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. I seriously can't stop laughing in either of them. The jokes are always funny! And in Zetsubou I have to pause a lot to see more jokes, but they're always funny to find.

cuteness- Potemayo. I think I might have exploded from the cute when I watched it....

Other's I've been amazed by... Fullmetal Alchemist (so many emotional moments) Grave of the Fireflies, Angel Sanctuary, Phoenix, Blackjack
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:50:14 pm by gladimus »